Options

Thinking of getting into Evangelion

• Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know anything about Canada or your particular area, but you might want to check a library for the DVDs. I borrowed all the episodes + movie from our local library when I decided about 6 months ago that I should watch it. I was glad I watched it once, but I wouldn't have wanted to spend money on it. I'd definitely recommend borrowing it or at least renting it before you decide if you want to buy it.

illirica on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So rereading this thread brought somewhat fond memories of the anime series, even though I honestly don't remember half the story anymore.

So, anyone care to spoil me with a recap, or point me to a website that has it? Wiki isn't as indepth as I would like.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I dislike Eva with a passion, but I suppose it is worth watching if it's available on Netflix.

Follow it up by watching RahXephon, which for the first 12 episodes or so is extremely similar to Eva (only with far better animation) and then splits off and in the latter half of the series becomes so much better in every conceivable way.

Janson on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Add me to the group that doesn't regret watching it but does regret buying it. At least at full price.

Quid on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Add me to the group that doesn't regret watching it but does regret buying it. At least at full price.

Oh GOD. I remember the 28.00 vhs tapes...PER EPISODE :!::!:

I liked the show, but good lord could they have found a better way to ass fuck you back in the day with anime.

I guess watch it, but I can name other classic animes that are more worth your while. I'm not trying to derail, but if you want better anime;
    Trigun, Cowboy Bebop or, hell, the AKIRA movie.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Janson wrote: »
    I dislike Eva with a passion, but I suppose it is worth watching if it's available on Netflix.

Follow it up by watching RahXephon, which for the first 12 episodes or so is extremely similar to Eva (only with far better animation) and then splits off and in the latter half of the series becomes so much better in every conceivable way.

RahXephon is basically NGE with the addition of a likable protagonist and the subtraction of all the suck.

Also, Mayan stuff.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Evangelion is fucking incredible...when you're 15.

Despite liking it when I saw it (at age 15), I can say right now it's not the be all end all that it's made up to be. Like has been said, it was awesome because it was novel, but now there's been a lot of other stuff where the monsters explode into crosses because...well, it looks cool. I mean, it's not tough to find because it's one of the 5 anime that everyone sees at some point, and as such you easily buy it off amazon, so go out and see it, but don't expect your life to change because of it. As someone mentioned, RahXephon is basically Evangelion with Mayas replacing Jesus and a protagonist with testicles, and FLCL is just awesome.

But, hmm, what's the best way to describe it.
    It'd be like if, for the first eleven issues of Watchman, the characters were fighting giant squid monsters every week, and DC comics was pumping out action figure after action figure of all the heroes and all the giant squids and there were huge posters everywhere about giant squid monsters coming to destroy the earth, and issue eleven ended with a giant cliffhanger where all the characters were finally going to defeat the giant squid monsters once and for all...

...and then the last issue was full of black panels with dialogue balloons with Ozymandias being all like "giant squids? hah, those were just my cunning plan. Here's what's really been going on."

...and then DC releases a NEW issue 12 of Watchman because, wow, fans didn't like that last issue, but the guy being made to write the original issue 12 really wanted to write it the way he wrote it the first time so he puts in a lot of giant squids but he throws in a 2-page lovingly detailed splash of the Silk Spectre being eaten alive by wild dogs.

This is 95% accurate: you left out the bit in the remake where we get to read snippets of the death threats people sent to the creator after the hilarity that was the original ending.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Eva as a non-essential anime that's only good as a history lesson?

Sounds about right.

Fubear on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    just read the manga.

Sam on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I actually really liked the ending! I'm one of three I'm sure.

It's a coming of age story and it's probably best seen from a teenagers perspective. But I liked it!

Blake T on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Raynaga wrote: »

RahXephon is basically NGE with the addition of a likable protagonist and the subtraction of all the suck.

Also, Mayan stuff.

RahXephon is Eva done right.

And Eureka Seven is Eva if the protagonist had actually had any character development in any way, even if it does move at a glacial pace.

Asiina on
  • Options
    The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sorry for waiting so long to reply, my internet went ka-plooey.

I've read up about the series already so I know about it having a screwey ending, followed by a movie to properly tie it off, a little bit like Firefly/Serenity.

I know about the new movies, too, but I wanted to find the original strictly because I heard the new movies are taking it in a different direction and making things into an alternate universe, and I wanted to see the original story first.

Anywho, the vibe I'm getting here is "try and find it online for free, and THEN decide with your money."

Soooo...where's the best place right now to find it online for Canadians? Sadly I can't get Hulu in Canada, so that's right out (there was a workaround for awhile, but they patched it.) So other than that, where can I find it?

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I've read up about the series already so I know about it having a screwey ending, followed by a movie to properly tie it off, a little bit like Firefly/Serenity.

I know about the new movies, too, but I wanted to find the original strictly because I heard the new movies are taking it in a different direction and making things into an alternate universe, and I wanted to see the original story first.

Anywho, the vibe I'm getting here is "try and find it online for free, and THEN decide with your money."

Soooo...where's the best place right now to find it online for Canadians? Sadly I can't get Hulu in Canada, so that's right out (there was a workaround for awhile, but they patched it.) So other than that, where can I find it?

I don't know if anyone answered my netflix in canada question. Do they have it or something like it in canada that you're aware of?

Edit: Just found two apparently, but don't know how long they've been around or anything. Maybe other Canadians can tell you whether they're reliable:

http://www.dvdlink.ca/

http://www.zip.ca/dvd/index.aspx

Further edit: Looks like dvdlink doesn't have the series. zip.ca does, though.

Oh holy crap, there's a site in canada that indexes all the canadian online dvd rental stuff:

http://onlinedvdrentalguide.ca/

You should be able to find a service on there where you can check out the series no prob. Maybe even find one that ships close to you and is well rated.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There's still a hulu workaround for Canadians, but I'm not sure of the rules here about talking about cheating the system for that kind of thing.

I'm not sure if Zip has an online watching system (the same way that netflix does), but that's the Canadian equivalent.

Asiina on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    There's still a hulu workaround for Canadians, but I'm not sure of the rules here about talking about cheating the system for that kind of thing.

Yeah, the rules are that you get the banstick for it.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can canada see crunchyroll.com. I dunno if they have it on there or not though. I haven't been in a while.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I remember hearing about this when I was first watching the series (in my teen years). I was very dissatisfied with the original series ending, but a number of sources informed me that EoE (End of Evangelion) was the "proper" ending. Even a few posters in this thread are continuing to perpetuate that.

It is a lie; or at least that's how I remember it.

EoE remains obscure and opaque. From a plot and conceptual standpoint it leaves several loose ends and, while considerably more visually satisfying, is ultimately not much better than the series ending.

In general, I don't think you're missing much by not watching EVA. I'd try watching an episode or two to decide if you think it's worth your time. If you're not captivated, don't pursue it.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Heartlash wrote: »

I remember hearing about this when I was first watching the series (in my teen years). I was very dissatisfied with the original series ending, but a number of sources informed me that EoE (End of Evangelion) was the "proper" ending. Even a few posters in this thread are continuing to perpetuate that.

EoE remains obscure and opaque. From a plot and conceptual standpoint it leaves several loose ends and, while considerably more visually satisfying, is ultimately not much better than the series ending.

In general, I don't think you're missing much by not watching EVA. I'd try watching an episode or two to decide if you think it's worth your time. If you're not captivated, don't pursue it.

Just because you still didn't like it doesn't mean that that isn't what the creator wanted for the end of the series.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

Just because you still didn't like it doesn't mean that that isn't what the creator wanted for the end of the series.

That wasn't what I was implying. I was implying that the movie ending is still vague...

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

That wasn't what I was implying. I was implying that the movie ending is still vague...

It answered the major questions. I'd say it wasn't vague so much as it was surreal. Bit of an acid trip.

And more of me wanting to stomp on the protagonist's head. I propose that he wants to taste the curb.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just watch Gurren Lagen.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ehh, I looked at Zip, seems a tad complicated. If there's no other option, I'd use that, but is there any place I can just stream it, aside from trolling youtube for it?

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ehh, I looked at Zip, seems a tad complicated. If there's no other option, I'd use that, but is there any place I can just stream it, aside from trolling youtube for it?

Try looking for ones that stream (although I've heard there may not be any available in Candada) in here:

http://onlinedvdrentalguide.ca/

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I realize the thread is a little old, but I like Eva and thought I would weigh in here.

At this point, the TV series is the worst iteration of the story. People who bemoan the "fly by the seat of our pants and see what sticks" mentality that the creators seemed to be going with originally (including the infamously wacky symbolism) are probably talking about the TV show. There are practical reasons that the series, when it first came out, was very inconsistent in this regard; budget concerns, the fact that the creators couldn't really do exactly what they wanted until the final few episodes, etcetera.

Thankfully, Eva became such a success that plenty of other options exist now! Since the TV series ended, the creators have gone back and created two alternate iterations that tell the story "the way it was meant to be told." The manga is excellent, cheap (you can get used copies for $2 on Amazon), modernized (the TV show is from 1995; the manga still has another volume to go in Japan), and much, much more focused than the anime. This basically means that the story is darker, more serious from the very beginning; a vast improvement from the bipolar anime.

If you really want something to WATCH, though, you might as well just check out the new movies. Only the first has a Region 1 release so far, but it's the newest, best way to experience Eva on your television. The movies basically have all the benefits of the manga but also feature great production values. The one thing you might be wary of is that the movies seem to be made for the fan that's already familiar with the Evangelion story, and I've seen theories floated that these new films are some sort of post-"End of Evangelion" narrative, but who knows.

Evangelion isn't exactly high art, but it boasts a very stylish storyline and manages to still remain one of the only anime series that I can enjoy.

tl;dr : get the manga, think about watching the movies.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zeromus wrote: »
    the fact that the creators couldn't really do exactly what they wanted until the final few episodes, etcetera.

I think you're a bit mistaken on that. A lot of the crazy shit can be more or less directly attributed to Hideaki Anno (writer and director) going through some serious depression, and that's why things got more nuts as the series progressed.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    the guy was also a bit of a troll

Sam on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I enjoyed the series, and while I admit it's not the Alpha and the Omega of anime, I'd recommend checking it out if you can do so cost effectively (like, maybe renting or netflix'ing some of it first).

I do consider it among my favourite series to date, but that's likely because I haven't kept up with what I'm sure must be endless piles of things that tried to hop onto the bandwagon and rode it into the ground. It was unlike anything I'd seen before, and due to minimal viewing experience, remains unique compared to what I've seen since.

It's like Robotech; I love the series dearly, but recognize that some of that love is nostalgia, and that I'd be hard pressed to really recommend diving head first into it without a few grains of salt.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    any affection i have for eva is just nostalgia at this point. it's a competent tween oriented anime until Anno decided he was making his own personal literary fine art for the primetime kids slot and everything went to shit.

Sam on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Also, Mayan stuff.

Also, Episode 19.
    You all know exactly which episode that is.

Eureka 7 is also full of win.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Huh, I guess I'm in the 10% who obsessed over the series. Eva was one of the few GIANTROBOTSOLOL series I could even stand watching.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know why everybody makes such a big deal out of Eva. I watched it, was entertaining, glad I did, probably wouldn't pay money, etc.

I know the protagonist is infuriating, the story became progressively more nonsensical, etc. but honestly at the time the latter just made it more entertaining. I still look back on how fucked up "End of Evangelion" was and laugh.

It's not completely satisfying and people overanalyze it way too much or feel bizarrely strongly about it, but it's a real trip and worth seeing (as a history lesson if nothing else). It has a lot of truly striking imagery.

If you need some context to understand it from (after it gets weird) it's basically autobiographical in reference to the director's own battle with depression. The other stuff is basically just bullshit, but it's bullshit that sure looks cool.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm definitely of the "bleh, don't bother" persuasion here, but if you're set on it, do it... a lot of folks really love the series. Just make sure you watch Martian Successor Nadesico afterward..

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This thread suddenly became relevant to me, my only previous experience with Evangelion was watching the first 4 episodes of it with a friend of mine who is a bit of a fanatic about the show.

Episode 4 has to be the most boring thing ever committed to film.

At any rate, I never got around to watching the rest of it (I have seen about half or so of RahXephon, can't remember what episode I got to in that). Well last night on a whim I decided to pick up Evangelion 1.11 on Blu-ray, partly because I've been looking for an excuse to see an anime on Blu-ray that isn't 'just' a transfer from DVD essentially. (I also found Ghost in the Shell 2.0 on Blu-ray, which I may rant about at the end of this.)

Eva 1.11 is *very* pretty on Blu-ray I must say. The animation is extremely smooth, coloration even and vibrant where it needs to be (mostly on the Evas) and it just looks amazing in motion. They do seem to use a fair amount of CG throughout, but to be honest, it is blended extremely well, to the point that I'm not even sure I picked out all the areas where they used CG. I can't comment on how the surround mix is, I have no appropriate setup.

Now I watched episodes 1-4 quite a long while ago so I remember *almost* nothing of it, but it feels like the first 5 to 10 minutes of 1.11 covers the information of like, 2 episodes by itself. Probably not true, but it feels that way. 1.11 apparently covers episodes 1-6, basically. All of the dialog seems rather... briskly paced. You can tell spots where they liked to put those damn pregnant pauses in the series and those are just gone.

Spike Spencer's voice seems to have changed a little, which is understandable given the time, but I actually find Shinji a *bit* less annoying because of it.

I liked it, but in a few spots they throw these random bits of info they don't explain with Seele and this weird shadowy council I guess I'd call it. I assume they'll become clear over the course of the series of 4 movies of course.

In that way I'm not sure if it was made from the perspective of people who have already seen Eva or almost complete newcomers like myself. I'll probably try to keep up with it... 2.22 isn't even coming out in Japan on DVD until May 26th or something though, so it's going to be a long wait until all 4 are out.

After I watched 1.11 last night, I popped in Ghost in the Shell 2.0 just to see how it looked with the remaster and Blu-ray and such, so I watched about 10 minutes of it. The first thing that jumped out and slapped me in the face was the fact that during the intro it switches repeatedly between fucking *blatant* CG and the proper animation. That is, the parts of the intro with Motoko on top of the building listening to the wiretap are in CG, but when it switches to the other parts during that sequence, like Batou and Togusa in the truck, or the police moving in, or the hotal room itself, it's the proper cleaned up animation, and then right back to CG Motoko outside. It's *extremely* jarring and I don't like the effect at all.

They also changed up the intro credits sequence a bit, modernized the parts in between the cyborg making process... made them look more current computer generation rather than the weird old green monochrome monitor style of the original. It looks more or less fine. I only watched a bit further beyond that, where the helicopter lands on the roof... they replaced the original animated helicopter with a CG one, and it looks a bit out of place on the traditional animation of the rest of the scene it's on.

Aside from that, the cleaned up traditional animation looks very good, what I saw in the first 10-15 minutes of the movie anyway.

I'll probably get around to watching the whole movie tonight. Amusingly, one of the special features on the disc is the entire original version of the movie, basically a DVD rip from what I can tell. Which makes fairly easy to compare different sections of the movie. And oh man, the difference in animation and color quality between the original (which is plays at 720p) and the remaster is staggering.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think a big part of people loving evangelion is the age they watch it. I watched it when I was 15-16, and while I wasnt overtly a whiny little bitch, I still had whiny little bitch problems. It was very cathartic to watch a character on screen flip-out and be whiny and bitchy at similar problems (dispite all the robot parts).

I remember burning through the last few episodes, and EoE in one sitting. Halfway through EoE, my then-girlfriend phoned me up and broke up with me. I just finished watching it and then proceeded to stare at the black screen for a good 10 min afterwards because it just fried my brain. I have yet to watch anything good or bad since that has really had that effect, so I guess that's saying something.

Going back to watch the anime is pretty much unberable, but I loved it at the time. The manga is a much more solid iteration, and the new movies defiantly give it a new lease on life. I'm interested to see where they go.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    McGibs wrote: »
    I think a big part of people loving evangelion is the age they watch it. I watched it when I was 15-16, and while I wasnt overtly a whiny little bitch, I still had whiny little bitch problems. It was very cathartic to watch a character on screen flip-out and be whiny and bitchy at similar problems (dispite all the robot parts).

I remember burning through the last few episodes, and EoE in one sitting. Halfway through EoE, my then-girlfriend phoned me up and broke up with me. I just finished watching it and then proceeded to stare at the black screen for a good 10 min afterwards because it just fried my brain. I have yet to watch anything good or bad since that has really had that effect, so I guess that's saying something.

Going back to watch the anime is pretty much unberable, but I loved it at the time. The manga is a much more solid iteration, and the new movies defiantly give it a new lease on life. I'm interested to see where they go.

I think it's more that you never saw the whiny bitch part of teenagers being forced to fight up until that point. The worst there was was the teenager philosophizing about the nature of war and shit. That's why I recommend watching several landmark robot series (Gigantor, Gundam) beforehand, so you can get the point of the thing.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    One thing you have to realize about Eva is that... (character related)
    Every main and most of the supporting characters are mental. This ranges from endearingly quirky for some of the supporting cast right up to pants-on-head for some of the main characters. A lot of the reason that many of the things that happen don't make sense is that the main characters are all seriously broken in the head.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »

Also, Mayan stuff.

Also, Episode 19.
    You all know exactly which episode that is.

Eureka 7 is also full of win.

Asahina, I think. Amazing episode. 3/4ths of what makes RahXephon great is the music, and that episode just highlights it perfectly.

I'm actually rewatching it for the first time in years because of this thread. It really is odd in the robot genre in that the characters are generally likeable.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Gundam

Ugh, how I loathe (what I've seen of) Gundam.

The episodes I watched exemplified what I like to call "smug anime", which is to say that long periods of the episodes were taken up with slow panning shots across the protagonist as he grinned in self satisfaction, explaining how his enemy had already lost the fight, etc, etc. Dragonball and what few episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh also epitomized this, and dispite several friends of mine gushing over how good Dragonball Z was, I could only take so many episodes of this (and the homoerotic grunting/powering up) before I chose to pass on the rest.

Don't get me wrong, NGE has plenty of faults and flaws, most of them touched upon in this thread. I'm sure many people find the pretentious philosophizing monologues given by many of the main characters just as grating, I just found it funny to see Gundam mentioned.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Gundam is a series of over 20 shows. I'm not sure which one you watched, but there is a pretty large variety of plots that are all considered gundam.

It's pretty silly to write off an entire franchise based on a couple of episodes of one of these series.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I did specify "the episodes I watched".

Knowing that there are 20 series means little to me. There are what, 500 or 1000+ episodes of various Dragonball incarnations. Doesn't mean it's good, just highly popular with its target audience.

I fully admit that I might not be part of that target audience.

Edit: and yet my love of Patlabor, Evangelion, Robotech, Bubblegum Crisis, and copious other series with giant robots or power armour led me to believe it'd be right up my alley.

Believe me, I actively tried to like what I watched, and smug little pissant characters seemed to be designed to actively make me dislike it.

Forar on