As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brutal Legend - Monday Night Combat is apparently BL with GUNS

• Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gametime: 2 Hours...

It goes like this!

1. Colly Leslie [C]
    2. Etamnanki [C]
    3. The Morkai [C]
    4. Sacred Fatman aka TanklessThirst [C]
    5. Gray Adder [pencilled in]
    6. xMikeyx [C]
    7. Crabbas/Blackgenma [pencilled in]
    8. Crabbas/Blackgenmas friend [pencilled in]
    9. Cantido [C]
    10. Klokateer [C]

If I've missed anyone, I'll come back and edit the post.

I really need to practice,been playing too much castlevania and I wouldn't want to be rusty if I get an invite.

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Options
    Colly LeslieColly Leslie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gametime: 2 Hours...

It goes like this!

1. Colly Leslie [C]
    2. Etamnanki [C]
    3. The Morkai [C]
    4. Sacred Fatman aka TanklessThirst [C]
    5. Gray Adder [pencilled in]
    6. xMikeyx [C]
    7. Crabbas/Blackgenma [pencilled in]
    8. Crabbas/Blackgenmas friend [pencilled in]
    9. Cantido [C]
    10. Klokateer [C]

If I've missed anyone, I'll come back and edit the post.

I really need to practice,been playing too much castlevania and I wouldn't want to be rusty if I get an invite.

Hit me up with a message. I'll ping you an invite for some 2vs2 against the brutal AI

Colly Leslie on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AHAHAHAHAH. That was the BEST. Lets do that again...after exams.

Here's a little number in honor of when the Metal Gods took a fiery shit on that DD stage before I left.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Sacred FatmanSacred Fatman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah it was lots of fun. I have a question though, on bleeding coast when it was DD vs. TC the DD army was muhc bigger and and TC army was full of punishing parties. Why did we lose that?

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah it was lots of fun. I have a question though, on bleeding coast when it was DD vs. TC the DD army was muhc bigger and and TC army was full of punishing parties. Why did we lose that?

I couldn't get a hand in. I tried a bunch of things. I tried to cast Weeping Heavens, and got shot. I sent a fake Treeback, it died then they killed me again. I tried to build Ratguts, they got caught and were killed. When they finally decided to move in, I calculated where to cast Weeping Heavens and missed. And with that Pain Lifter taking shots at us, we did not have much of an army left over.

Sucky ToP! Nobody skips my videos!

ITS SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Cantido on
  • Options
    MorkaiMorkai Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I chalk it up to the fact that we had One Organist and a lack of ratguts.

Morkai on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I keep picturing Kingdom Hearts being a game like BL. It could work, too. A Nobody faction, a Heartless faction, and a HEARTS OF LIGHTS FRIENDS AND NOT DARKNESS faction. The brawling and magic fits too. The resource nodes could be full of hearts or something...I dunno.

If Final Fantasy 13 had KH's fighting engine...I probably would have finished it.

This is all because I got KH for DS, by the way.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Morkai wrote: »

I chalk it up to the fact that we had One Organist and a lack of ratguts.

I chalk it up to Morkais reasons, plus Skies Afire.

Avatars were very weak in that situation...We racked up about 6 or 7 avatar kills during that weather.

Skies Afire is actually an awesome solo for 4vs4 matches (not so much 1vs1)

That was the moment the battle swung towards the coil (we only lost 4 groups of Punishing Parties, compared to your full army; The difference in fans was probably close to 1000)

Colly Leslie on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is there even a way to counter painlifters? it seems that all of your infantry in your army can die when they slowly march up to a tainted coil army.

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is there even a way to counter painlifters? it seems that all of your infantry in your army can die when they slowly march up to a tainted coil army.

Why do you think they got more expensive in November? :D

I was also about to try casting Weeping Heavens on top of the broken Highway. I'm going to experiment with that today a little.

They are NOT built to last. You need some durable Tier 2 units to close the gap, or keep it distracted and put the Roman Candle to it.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

Why do you think they got more expensive in November? :D

I was also about to try casting Weeping Heavens on top of the broken Highway. I'm going to experiment with that today a little.

They are NOT built to last. You need some durable Tier 2 units to close the gap, or keep it distracted and put the Roman Candle to it.

I'm pretty sure just one dollpocalypse deals with a pain lifter...

Failing that, roll up to it with an organist, lightning rod or headsplitter.

Colly Leslie on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mike P would like Nintey Night Nights.

I want to strangle this person. And no, he didn't play multiplayer. Pressing Up on the D pad offends him too much.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    damn just lost to mikey on feeding area. He is truly a beast at avatar combat, he killed me seven times while i only got him once.

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I want to strangle this person. And no, he didn't play multiplayer. Pressing Up on the D pad offends him too much.

"This RTS game has too much RTS in it"

On one hand, I can't really blame him as the marketing and demo had no RTS at all, but on the other his review is tantamount to saying "I never drive and hate to get being the wheel, but I have a passing interest in highway engineering. Forza3 has nice roads in it, but I'm not sure why they had to include all this driving. So I applaud the appreciation of tracks and roadways and the fidelity with which they are represented, but I just wish next time they'd tone down all the racing and driving about."

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

On one hand, I can't really blame him as the marketing and demo had no RTS at all, but on the other his review is tantamount to saying "I never drive and hate to get being the wheel, but I have a passing interest in highway engineering. Forza3 has nice roads in it, but I'm not sure why they had to include all this driving. So I applaud the appreciation of tracks and roadways and the fidelity with which they are represented, but I just wish next time they'd tone down all the racing and driving about."

:lol:

You'll like this one. It's from an interview with Tim Schafer.
    GP: For something that was a large part of the game, the stage battles weren't introduced to the media until late in development. Why was that aspect of the game not shown earlier?

Schafer: We wanted to emphasize that the game's main story was a wish fulfillment for this character. It's about a roadie who wanted to live in an earlier time when the music was real in a medieval combat fantasy. That's our story, and we wanted people to understand that was what you'd be doing in this game: swinging an axe, playing a guitar, driving your car around and eventually commanding an army of headbangers. You can't tell people that whole package at once; when we pitched the game to publishers a lot of times the meetings would end with a series of stunned looks, because that's a lot to digest at once. We had to mete out the different features, and it made sense to start with the simplest aspects and build up to more complex ones. When it was time to announce it we had this huge press event, which I'm sure you came to... didn't you?

GP: The multiplayer event? Yeah, yeah we were there.

Schafer:Yeah, I was interviewed on G4, Morgan Webb called it out as an RTS game and everything. It was late, but we definitely got it out there. When we pitched the game a lot of publishers were fearful of the letters "RTS" and when we were with Vivendi the marketing plans were never going to say RTS ever. At first we weren't sure how we felt about that, but as our game developed and we started changing it, simplifying it and removing RTS elements we started to feel okay about that because we realized that if players come to the game with the expectation of it being an RTS and look for RTS controls, it would actually make the game less fun. So from a creative position we were totally fine with not releasing that info first. In the very first pitches for the game, publishers didn't want to talk about heavy metal or roadies at all, they thought it should be about something more popular. Like country.

When we showed the game to EA, they were interested but wanted to test the concept. In focus tests, the stage battles rated high. What's interesting is the people in those groups aren't told anything about the game and have no expectations for it. One of the things you notice looking at Metacritic ratings is that the highest scores come from those who really enjoyed the stage battles, and when you get down to the critics who didn't like the stage battles those reviews often center around their expectations about what we were going to make, instead of looking at the stage battles for what they are in a fresh way.

How goes your single player adventures? I will not be on tomorrow, but plenty of friends here can help you cross the threshold into multi.

In multiplayer is where you find out just how awesome Tim Curry really is.

I thought all the famous DCers got bored and left, but I had to whoop Brohemoth's ass just now. It was Doom's Mire. He tried to jump the bridge with his Razor Girl, and I killed it. I took 3/4 geysers in the map, and he tech rushed to a Rockcrusher. I ended up destroying two Rockcrushers and severely damaged his stage. He disconnected like a lil' bitch. I texted him "Cheat harder, pussy!"

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Who the hell is BRUTAL POISEN and how did he get to rank 50?

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Who the hell is BRUTAL POISEN and how did he get to rank 50?

Before Cannibal and his buddies got bored and left, he had a friend named Living Poison, who was a booster and DCer.

They found out DCing doesn't work in team matches, so he and cannibal played team matches exclusively for a long time and got their ranks up to 50. They are no longer friends.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/364096.page

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like how there is always new people playing. like 1/5 of my matches are against unranked people or people with only a few games played.

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like how there is always new people playing. like 1/5 of my matches are against unranked people or people with only a few games played.

I'm still helping them all to be awesome, and then I invite them here. It's a good thing. They don't see the high level problems that we do.

Also, I recently found this gem of a picture. Google Image brings up awesome stuff if you type in faction names.

4048695719_57c1027600.jpg

I'm thinking of getting a picture like this and putting it on a TE Stick. The thing about this picture is that you can tell by their clothes and colors is that it's Single Player, which has a more golden look to it.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

:lol:

You'll like this one. It's from an interview with Tim Schafer.
    GP: For something that was a large part of the game, the stage battles weren't introduced to the media until late in development. Why was that aspect of the game not shown earlier?

Schafer: We wanted to emphasize that the game's main story was a wish fulfillment for this character. It's about a roadie who wanted to live in an earlier time when the music was real in a medieval combat fantasy. That's our story, and we wanted people to understand that was what you'd be doing in this game: swinging an axe, playing a guitar, driving your car around and eventually commanding an army of headbangers. You can't tell people that whole package at once; when we pitched the game to publishers a lot of times the meetings would end with a series of stunned looks, because that's a lot to digest at once. We had to mete out the different features, and it made sense to start with the simplest aspects and build up to more complex ones. When it was time to announce it we had this huge press event, which I'm sure you came to... didn't you?

GP: The multiplayer event? Yeah, yeah we were there.

Schafer:Yeah, I was interviewed on G4, Morgan Webb called it out as an RTS game and everything. It was late, but we definitely got it out there. When we pitched the game a lot of publishers were fearful of the letters "RTS" and when we were with Vivendi the marketing plans were never going to say RTS ever. At first we weren't sure how we felt about that, but as our game developed and we started changing it, simplifying it and removing RTS elements we started to feel okay about that because we realized that if players come to the game with the expectation of it being an RTS and look for RTS controls, it would actually make the game less fun. So from a creative position we were totally fine with not releasing that info first. In the very first pitches for the game, publishers didn't want to talk about heavy metal or roadies at all, they thought it should be about something more popular. Like country.

When we showed the game to EA, they were interested but wanted to test the concept. In focus tests, the stage battles rated high. What's interesting is the people in those groups aren't told anything about the game and have no expectations for it. One of the things you notice looking at Metacritic ratings is that the highest scores come from those who really enjoyed the stage battles, and when you get down to the critics who didn't like the stage battles those reviews often center around their expectations about what we were going to make, instead of looking at the stage battles for what they are in a fresh way.

How goes your single player adventures? I will not be on tomorrow, but plenty of friends here can help you cross the threshold into multi.

In multiplayer is where you find out just how awesome Tim Curry really is.

I thought all the famous DCers got bored and left, but I had to whoop Brohemoth's ass just now. It was Doom's Mire. He tried to jump the bridge with his Razor Girl, and I killed it. I took 3/4 geysers in the map, and he tech rushed to a Rockcrusher. I ended up destroying two Rockcrushers and severely damaged his stage. He disconnected like a lil' bitch. I texted him "Cheat harder, pussy!"

I've just been on both a 4 day vacation and 3 day business trip in the past week, so haven't had much time to play, hopefully I'll get in some play over the next few days. Wouldn't mind doing some multi at some point when I get the hang of everything.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Later on I need to test something.

I was slapping the shit out of a Thunderhog online, and I heard Eddie go something like "I could use a Headsplitter right now!" We know that Headsplitters are great in groups (The Caravan), but before they've gotten flack for being kinda bleh on power. As always, there's no substitute for Battly Cry with Double Teams, but I would like to check if for Anti-Vehicle Properties.

You pick up all kinds of hilarious and awesome things when you turn the subtitles on in multiplayer.

Well it mostly only subs match-relevant dialog. Some awesome stuff can be heard if you just stand around with your army sometimes.

Headbanger Attacking * imitating Jack Black falsetto* Kiiiiliiiing!

Rima & Metal Beast Attacking - Look, baby! Coil!

Even the Reapers, who I thought were silent, had lines when they were killing a stage. I didn't pick up what they were saying.

Punishing Party - STOP CHEERING, Pinboy! You didn't help at all!

Brutal Victory Rima - Search the prisoners for potential mates!

Warfather - What's that? Kill all the children?! Shhhhhh...

And of course, every unit has lines inviting you to Double Team. Like a glaring hint.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't know about head splitters without the double team, but with the double team they destroy slow moving things such as vehicles.

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I just beat THE BROHEMOTH everyone says that he is a huge disconnector but he didn't dc on me. He had plenty of time to disconnect and he had no chance of coming back, so maybe he decided not to be a douche.

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    He was giving mikey shit at around the same time. Perhaps he came around? Whatever.

My Digital Systems exam went very well and was totally easy. That whole Get-Tutoring-Nonstop-Till-2000-five-days-in-a-row strategy was highly effective. I took a break with some SSFIV but I hope to get back with all yall soon on Thursday, when all the tests are over. I have moar reading to do...

Cantido on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hi thread, long time no post.

So. I loaned my copy of Brutal Legend to a friend living 200 miles away from me. I came back in a month to visit again and pick up my game, only to forget it. Finally remember it a month later.

And now I've finally played BL for the first time in months. I was worried that I was hyped up for the game and after some time away it wouldn't be as spectacular as I remember it, but damn I really appreciate how much detail is put into the multiplayer, just simple things like sound quips that you would never hear in the campaign.

Anyways, it's always bothered me that I haven't put any match videos up since pre-patch, pre-DLC; but hopefully I can squeeze in some online matches tomorrow and get some stuff up by the end of this week (in HD hopefully).

Question: Did they add any music to the game or am I just forgetting how many damn songs are in Brutal Legend?

EDIT: Another question(s): are there any really good game guides for multiplayer I should look for? I am very rusty and am not familiar with any changes the patch brought and the implications it has towards balance, build orders, etc. I hear it's TC > DD > IH, but it's been a while.

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Trynant wrote: »
    Hi thread, long time no post.

So. I loaned my copy of Brutal Legend to a friend living 200 miles away from me. I came back in a month to visit again and pick up my game, only to forget it. Finally remember it a month later.

And now I've finally played BL for the first time in months. I was worried that I was hyped up for the game and after some time away it wouldn't be as spectacular as I remember it, but damn I really appreciate how much detail is put into the multiplayer, just simple things like sound quips that you would never hear in the campaign.

Anyways, it's always bothered me that I haven't put any match videos up since pre-patch, pre-DLC; but hopefully I can squeeze in some online matches tomorrow and get some stuff up by the end of this week (in HD hopefully).

Question: Did they add any music to the game or am I just forgetting how many damn songs are in Brutal Legend?

EDIT: Another question(s): are there any really good game guides for multiplayer I should look for? I am very rusty and am not familiar with any changes the patch brought and the implications it has towards balance, build orders, etc. I hear it's TC > DD > IH, but it's been a while.

The opening post IS the really good game guide for multiplayer you should look for. No music has been added. Still a shit-ton of muisc.

blackgenma is gonna make a better multiplayer guide and put it on GameFAQs, but that's gonna be a while. Until then, we have the baddest fucking guide right here. Forged by...Kor, myself, and just about everyone who posted here and the older threads. Some Metal Gods too possibly. I tell new players to google the Penny Arcade Brutal Legend Guide since Google's Electronic Demon Spiders started picking it up.

That's how a lot of new people joined here actually. I've gotten many thanks, and once a month I get the occasional FUCK YOU or BOOST PLZ.

You picked a good time to take a break though. After the balance patch, assholes found a new win button. Pulling the plug. Most of the disconnectors have gotten bored and left.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    An update on some Brutal Legend multiplayer videos:

I've played a few matches online while recording and am in the process of rendering the videos (i.e. bitching at the software that takes hours to get anything uploaded) to put on YouTube. In HD! I have one game match online already, but it's of me playing Tainted Coil and I'm worse than a silly goose at TC (especially after not playing in forever). The sad part is the one match I play as Drowning Doom I do awesome against the other player and I forgot to hit record D:

Any random tips to offer on how to use TC that aren't in the guide that I should know?

For those that want to see me lose horribly as Tainted Coil, the video's spoiled below. Note I was having some weird controller lag/lack of skill and was for a time unable to pull off any of my avatars basic combos. The stupid times to play solos, horrible building choices and generally poor tactical decision-making, however? All me :(

More videos soon to come. I've got a fun one where I get a DC'er :D

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Trynant wrote: »
    An update on some Brutal Legend multiplayer videos:

I've played a few matches online while recording and am in the process of rendering the videos (i.e. bitching at the software that takes hours to get anything uploaded) to put on YouTube. In HD! I have one game match online already, but it's of me playing Tainted Coil and I'm worse than a silly goose at TC (especially after not playing in forever). The sad part is the one match I play as Drowning Doom I do awesome against the other player and I forgot to hit record D:

Any random tips to offer on how to use TC that aren't in the guide that I should know?

For those that want to see me lose horribly as Tainted Coil, the video's spoiled below. Note I was having some weird controller lag/lack of skill and was for a time unable to pull off any of my avatars basic combos. The stupid times to play solos, horrible building choices and generally poor tactical decision-making, however? All me :(

More videos soon to come. I've got a fun one where I get a DC'er :D

Ah, never ever send a lone nun anywhere. If I'm coil, I start of by moving to the right side of the stage, build one nun, and immediately cast Agony Boil. When the Nun is ready I command Defend standing near the nun. This will cause her to move to a blue beacon above me. Then I build my stuff. If anyone comes near us, I let them have it and I get a free 50 fans.

Agony boil is not at great for offensive purposes. If your opponent sees it they just have to bounce on it and leave. However, its very effective where you're building stuff, or where your units are digging in. Especially punishing parties. If an avatar jumps on them, they get blasted, and if melee units make a dive for them, they get blown up before the opponent can command them to back away.

PYROphantasie has the highest quality hi res multiplayer vids I've ever seen.

Did you text him that's you've got a Youtube of his bitch DCing skills? :P

Game 28 in a super long tournament

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the tips. Like I said, I hardly ever play TC, so those little hints go a long way.

Did you text him that's you've got a Youtube of his bitch DCing skills? :P

Nah I'm not going to harass someone on Live.
    Well, I might.

I'm looking at PYROphantasie's stuff right now. Sweet deal.

I've got more videos to upload. When I get done with them all I'll post the new batch here.

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah. TC Startup requires more care as opposed to IH or DD.

The boil is a nice touch, after some heavy experience playing Metal Cannibal his startup involves building one nun, getting as close to the stage right side of his megastage, mashing Y to build units Asap, two squads of soul kissers. As the first batch pops out, He individually selects the unit and sends 'em to a beacon.

that's usually my startup too, it's fast and pretty effective, and about 6 seconds after your second SK squad is out, you've enough fans for a third, at which point you send that nun with that squad and look after her if you can (Canni usually doesn't, which is why I pick her off anywho.)

but yeah.

The Boil is good for ceasing early harassment if you're unable to fight off your enemy..

Morkai on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Putting an agony boil at their stage can cause damage to it, drawing there avatar away form the fight.

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Putting an agony boil at their stage can cause damage to it, drawing there avatar away form the fight.

Yeah, but early game that's not a good idea. it'd have to be when things got heated.

Morkai on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I use it in late game so they think its a bleeding death.

Sacred Fatman on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Never again will I forsake the defensive efficiency of the bouncer. my GOD. YES.

Morkai on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Never again will I forsake the defensive efficiency of the bouncer. my GOD. YES.

Bouncers are very good for defence. Not so much attack though, they're just a bit too slow.

Colly Leslie on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I use it in late game so they think its a bleeding death.

That's not a bad idea. A Bleeding Death will cut an enemy to ribbons during a skirmish.

Agony boiling allows you to distract and play the solo without the threat of being anvilled, silenced or chained.

Colly Leslie on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Bouncers are very good for defence. Not so much attack though, they're just a bit too slow.

They're just so good at punching! Also, their Double Team instantly kills Barons and Broods.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

They're just so good at punching! Also, their Double Team instantly kills Barons and Broods.

They seriously mess up organists too.

Without the debuff, I reckon they'd one-shot those vehicles too.

Colly Leslie on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah. it all came down to my facing of a guy named Dark link. He had a record that almost rivaled mine, but he was DD.

He had the typical routine, abuse the gravedigger DT, We both teched to tier three and he started to mass broods. eventually I reclaimed most of the geysers, and he was marching up to my lawn with about 6 brood, a dirg, and a reaper. I was like... hoo boy.

Well, mostly vehicles. so I was like FOUR BOUNCERS. with the double team, situation handled.

I also discovered their offensive use. Painlifters(superior) kill almost anything instantly if it's infantry. it takes about three or four agony balls from a SUPERIOR lifter to kill a bouncer. it's awesome.

Morkai on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Do watch out. Battle Cry doesn't work on yourself, of there's an Organist in the area, Double Teaming will debuff your unit, and sometimes you're better off leaving your army be.

I had to put my dog to sleep today, due to liver disease. It was either that or watch her starve herself to death, because my family could not afford intravenous food. I might be on today, I might not.

May Venus destroy her enemies in Dog Valhallah! *Hey, Spitz are German, it could work.*

\m/>_<\m/

Cantido on
This discussion has been closed.