As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Celebreality TV/Guilty Pleasures

LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I love BSG and Lost but lately have been drawn to the celebreality TV shows like VH-1's The Surreal Life and CBS's Armed & Famous. They're nice break from the intense dramas I watch as you can watch without thinking and laugh at how stupid has been celebs act. It's a nice departure from the old reality shows where they would use boring average folk.

Anybody else willing to admit what guilty pleasure they may watch or read?

LondonBridge on

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's a nice departure from the old reality shows where they would use boring average folk.

Yes, because people acting like cocks is so different than people being cunts.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I watched two episodes of I Pity The Fool before the novelty wore off. I felt pretty dirty after that.

So now instead I'm plugging through old episodes of The A-Team. I still feel guilty, but damn am I enjoying it. Nostalgia FTW!

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Anytime I watch 'The Real World/Road Rules' battle things I appreciate my friends so much more. I like watching stupid people argue though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I kinda wanted to be on The Real World once...but then I realized that I am too nice, and I would just be miserable hanging out all the time with people like that. Also, I would feel dirty after.

Etch on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm not much of a reality junkie - but Armed and Famous actually looks kinda good.

I know, I know. I'm ashamed.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    3lwap0 wrote:
    I'm not much of a reality junkie - but Armed and Famous actually looks kinda good.

I know, I know. I'm ashamed.

It looks like a train wreck. But I'm sure if anything really bad happened the show wouldn't be on The do still tape months ahead of time for editing right?

Malkor on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Armed and Famous isn't too bad, but mostly because it's kind of like COPS. And COPS is awesome, so it's tough to go wrong there.

Generally though, I'm not too big on the celebrity shows, or on reality shows in general. The only ones I watch are the big CBS reality shows (Survivor, Amazing Race, and Big Brother when it's on in the summer), but I mainly watch those because my wife likes them. And since she watches stuff like BSG and Stargate with me, it's a decent compromise.

[spoiler:96212ce569]I actually kind of enjoy watching them, but don't tell her that.[/spoiler:96212ce569]

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    When I was young and stupid I enjoyed Road Rules Australia a fair bit more because I wanted to see Australia from their perspective than the actual bitchy people on the show.

I also enjoyed a few episodes of the Surreal Life when Dave Coulier was on it. It's been years since I've gone out of my way to watch TV though, I'm on the computer all the time and only watch TV once or twice a week at best while I'm eating or something.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't watch a ton of TV aside from sports (man, I love the world juniors) and one hour dramas like CSI, the Law and Orders, Numbers, House, Criminal Minds, and the Sopranos. My guilty pleasures include 24 (best drama my ass, it's a soap opera with explosions and gunfire), Numbers (it can be pretty bad at times), a little Surreal Life (reality TV with alcohol), and I have enjoyed the two episodes of Armed and Famous so far.

Aside from the Sopranos, 24, and Numbers, I don't really follow any shows, but just catch them if I'm home and not up to anything better.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I pretty much hate all of reality tv, including the two shows that I was on. Real World went to shit somewhere after Boston. Hawaii was the only season that I watched after that. I don't know if it was me growing up, or the show just getting worse, but that show is garbage now.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah its pretty much just cocks vag lol and shouting. What were you on?

edit: If I were on a reality show I'd pretty much just straight drink the entire time. 'On this very special episode Malkor throws up all over the lawn!'

Malkor on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Big Dookie wrote:
    Armed and Famous isn't too bad, but mostly because it's kind of like COPS. And COPS is awesome, so it's tough to go wrong there.

Generally though, I'm not too big on the celebrity shows, or on reality shows in general. The only ones I watch are the big CBS reality shows (Survivor, Amazing Race, and Big Brother when it's on in the summer), but I mainly watch those because my wife likes them. And since she watches stuff like BSG and Stargate with me, it's a decent compromise.

[spoiler:6d378456f9]I actually kind of enjoy watching them, but don't tell her that.[/spoiler:6d378456f9]

My parents hooked me on Amazing Race around season 3, but I never could get into Survivor since the first season. I think I prefer the show's exotic locations (as opposed to one house/island) and how so much of the show relies on skill to win, not popularity. And their ability to effortless win the emmy every year keeps me from even feeling that guilty about it.

That being said, they had a few lame seasons recently, but it looks like they're improving again. Except for the final episode, season 10 was pretty decent, but I'm nervous about the All Stars edition, at least until we finally get an official team list.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I never care for reality shows at all, but me and mum always watch the Apprentice together. Its sort of our thing.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Two of the previous cast members of the Real World went to my high school.

<3 on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I watched the first two seasons of Survivor and stopped caring. Then, when All-Stars rolled around I picked up the habit again and have seen every season since.

My fiancee loves Big Brother and made me watch the last season. It was entertaining.

...Oh yeah, if you count Rock Star as a reality show, I watch that too.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I used to watch the Apprentice (and may watch its upcoming season), but the novelty wears off pretty quickly. I don't really care who wins, I just find it amusing how childish and passive aggressive they act. I always watch the last episode though, because they usually stick the "worst" teammates with the winners.

I do watch Cops when I remember it's on. It's one of those shows that just makes you think "at least I'm not that fucked up."

Invisible on