As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age 2 - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    He really said a direct sequel is unlikely? Then how come there are a million setups for a direct sequel in the game?

Edit: I don't mean to sound snarky; I don't even necessarily want a direct sequel, but I did assume they wanted to do something with importing. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can dig it up again. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

That said, there are several things pointing towards them wanting to make a bunch of Dragon Age titles that aren't necessarily Dragon Age 2.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at more non DA2 things, and I also wouldn't be surprised at more content (DLC and expansions too, perhaps) that do take your decisions into account, but I don't think they'll do it with DA2.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here's one of his posts about decisions carrying over to a sequel. He says more about it in some threads about canon endings.
    While I understand being emotionally attached to your character and their relationships, I'm not sure I follow with the "we paid $100 so you owe it to us to continue our story". There's definitely a gain to be had by picking up on a player's story in any given sequel as you get immediate buy-in from them... but that does not mean that a whole new story can't be told that doesn't involve your character at all or involves their decisions peripherally, one that you may (shocking, I know) enjoy just as much.

The fact that we gave you decisions to make and relationships to build, in other words, is not a promise that these will hold true in the future. If you enjoyed the game you're playing now, that's something, no?

Again, I'm not saying what we will or won't do, but I'd be careful making sweeping statements about how all depth is ruined in your current game based on what we do with the series in the future... though I do appreciate the emotional investment. Thank you. :)

Gaider posts too damn much to find the exact quote where he talks about a direct sequel. Here's a bit from one of the community managers in a similar vein:
    I can't reveal anything, of course. But even the end of the game says there are other stories to tell. Thedas is a big world, so both continuations and new directions are possibilities.

grrarg on
  • Options
    Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    People are going to see some cool ... I can't really say too much, but I think Dragon Age as a world is interesting. It's a timeline, and you can go anywhere.

I'm thinking something like, Tevinter Imperium, 2nd Blight, then if they release a third game they jump it forward to the 5th Blight? or whatever happens after Awakening, and tie in choices from the first and second game.

Hueg Map: (apparently this place is equivalent in size to Europe)
    ThedasMap.jpg

(I don't see Amaranthine on that map, I really have no idea where that is in relation to anything)

Also I have to figure we're going into the Black City at some point, every time I was in the fade I was looking at it thinking if only I could fly

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    JengoJengo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Amaranthine is on the top right tip of ferelden by those two islands I believe.

Jengo on
    3DS FC: 1977-1274-3558 Pokemon X ingame name: S3xy Vexy
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Jengo wrote: »
    Amaranthine is on the top right tip of ferelden by those two islands I believe.
    Ferelden_Map_1.jpg

Top Right Corner past Denerim.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    So what do you guys think would be the potential pros and cons of getting Awakening on disc vs. as DLC? - for the 360, in my case. I want to get it but I'm really torn about the format.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, the disc should have all of the content the DLC version does, but also, uh, a disc. If you for some reason cannot get to your DLC version and wanted to play it again, I guess the disc based version would help there. You can also install it to the HDD so it kind of works like DLC.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    So what do you guys think would be the potential pros and cons of getting Awakening on disc vs. as DLC? - for the 360, in my case. I want to get it but I'm really torn about the format.

I don't know, this seems a bit... big to be a DLC. You'd be downloading it for quite a while i'd imagine for the same price as a physical disc you can just put in a play with.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you have the space on the hd, no difference. I get 10% off retail games where I work, so I'm getting the disc. The sacrifice I'm making is how much it will aggravate my OCD to see one DA case with the old hideous red PS3 spine and one with the new, pretty one.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    grrarg wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    How do we know they haven't had the main team on DA2 since origins went gold? Patches and DLC would be handled by different teams, and Awakening sure could have been handed off to a smaller team too. DA2 in 2011 certainly is possible. They have the engine done, and don't need a whole lot more background stuff. They just need to make a new campaign and pretty it up a bit.

Awakening was handed off to a smaller team, was it not? The lead writer is one of the DLC guys, not David Gaider.

Actually there is dev posts about this very subject in bioware forums, Gaider is still the lead writer.

Sirson on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Clipping is a serious graphical problem I wish they'd fix
    it makes all the big armor look much less badass

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know that on the PC I will be getting it on disc. I can't wrap my head around using 3rd party software etc to manage my games and downloads. I've already lost music I've bought online when my iphone had to be replaced. (bought it through the phone, not allowed to put in on a pc)

I like the idea of being able to uninstall and reinstall as many times as I want etc. Unless there is crazy DRM associated with any given game.

As for the Maps. It doesn't matter how big your map is if the only thing you do is port from A to B because you don't get to see or do anything in between and in Dragon Age's case, it felt really really small.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Personally, I'll just be happy if the DLC and expansion lets me use my main character from DA:O, and then once the sequel comes along (if it ever does), it'll start a whole new stoyline with different characters in a different part of the world.

I personally don't see any need to stick to one character through every iteration of the game as is done in Mass Effect. It makes sense in ME, but here it's more about telling stories that involve the lore and locations in the world than anything else. It'd be cool if certain parts of this story carried over... for instance if the DA2 took place in the future, there might be some indication of what happened to Godbaby.

Which is to say, as in other games there would be a 'canon' timeline, not trying to work in everything you (or I) personally did when you played through the first time.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So for those on the PS3, Return to Ostagar FINALLY hit the PSN yesterday. I've yet to play it, but it's since been downloaded and will be my party's next stop. Being able to carry over the equipment gained there to Awakening was the final selling point for me.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Since the day Awakenings comes out is coming closer, I was just wondering if there are any preorder bonuses from anywhere that I should know of? Otherwise I'll be searching for deals on the day it comes out.

Arcus on
  • Options
    AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So a new companion just got announced:
    Justice

Not all the denizens of the Fade identify with darker emotions like rage and pride. Some embody the nobler qualities found in humanity: faith, hope, compassion, and justice. Justice is not a name, it is an identity. A victim of magic gone awry, Justice has been torn from the Fade against his will and trapped in the body of a dead Grey Warden.

Holy shit, thats awesome.

Trailer

Astns on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay, yea. That IS pretty awesome.

I have slighty more hope that Awakening will turn out to be more than just a few tacked-on missions.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A few days ago, someone posted a few videos of Awakening gameplay that had been streamed and recorded. Anyone have those by chance?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This question has probably been answered but, regarding saves from DA:O going into Awakening:
    I'm expecting some of my party members to go back to normal lives, like Sten going back to Par Vollen and Wynne going back to help rebuild the Circle of Magi, but others like Zevran and Loghain seem to be staying with me per my choices at the end of the game to help me rebuild the Grey Wardens and train recruits. Will this be so? Am I keeping some characters from Origins and bringing them along with me through Awakenings to be joined by new ones? Or are they going to just be members of my staff at Vigil's Keep? Or will they even be in Awakenings at all?

This question also extends to stuff that's more likely, like my decisions from Origins going into Awakenings as well.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    oh this just went from "meh ill wait" to "day fucking 1."

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also a question regarding Awakening:
    Will Awakening have any new Origins to try out?

If yes, would we be able to play that origin through the Original Campaign?

I read somewhere players might choose an Orlais origin. If this was true, I would love to see Loghain's face when he talks to an Orlesian Grey Warden during your first encounter in Ostagar...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TiamatZ wrote: »

I read somewhere players might choose an Orlais origin. If this was true, I would love to see Loghain's face when he talks to an Orlesian Grey Warden during your first encounter in Ostagar...

As far as I know, the
    Orlesian origin is what the "non-Origins import" character you can make is. I don't think you can actually go through Origins with it; it's only for Awakening.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TiamatZ wrote: »

There are no new Origins, you can't import anything from Awakening back to Origins

Green on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    This question has probably been answered but, regarding saves from DA:O going into Awakening:
    I'm expecting some of my party members to go back to normal lives, like Sten going back to Par Vollen and Wynne going back to help rebuild the Circle of Magi, but others like Zevran and Loghain seem to be staying with me per my choices at the end of the game to help me rebuild the Grey Wardens and train recruits. Will this be so? Am I keeping some characters from Origins and bringing them along with me through Awakenings to be joined by new ones? Or are they going to just be members of my staff at Vigil's Keep? Or will they even be in Awakenings at all?

This question also extends to stuff that's more likely, like my decisions from Origins going into Awakenings as well.

As far as I've read, only one NPC from DA:O will be able to join your party in Awakenings.
    Oghren

Unless there have been more recent announcements that I've missed.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    These both contain Origins epilogue spoilers!

Regarding Corehealer's questions:
    It's already been released that "depending on your choices in Origins, Alistair, Wynne, Loghain and Anora may make cameos" - IE: as NPC that will not join your party. No other companions were listed as making possible appearances, so unless BioWare is intentionally keeping them under wraps, we'll just have to assume they won't be showing up this time around.

As for what those four characters might be doing this time around that makes them so darn busy, I can only offer my assumptions based on various epilogues:

Alistair is either dead, ruling as King of Ferelden, or is setting up Grey Warden operations in Ferelden.
    Wynne is either dead, taking over the Circle of Magi as new First Enchanter, or about to journey to Tevintir with Shale.
    Loghain is either dead or setting up Grey Warden operations in Ferelden.
    Anora is either locked in a tower, ruling Ferelden as the lone Queen, or is your Queen and opts to govern while you(the King) investigate the going-ons in Amaranthine.

The one exception to this is Oghren, who has been announced as the one returning companion from Origins that actually joins the Warden's party again. It's also been stated that he'll "play a large role" in this adventure. While it would be nice to see some other Origins companions drop by to say hello at Vigil's Keep, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Regarding TiamatZ question:
    The Orlaisian Warden Commander does not have an "origin" as the previous Warden characters from Origins had. You may get a wrap up of events referencing the Warden that slew the Archdemon and how his/her actions helped shape the landscape of Ferelden, but since you're not importing any information for this character, everything will be generic and may or may not reflect what you did during your Origins playthrough.

The selling point for playing the Orlasian Commander is probably getting to go through the character builder again and seeing how the people of Amaranthine treat you(like shit). ONce you start a character in Awakening, you can't return to the Origins campaign at all, not even the Origins DLC. Which makes sense, because Awakening takes place after Origins in the timeline.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    rowe33rowe33 Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    No Romance in DA: Awakenings

Made this to amuse my fiancee as she's a huge Alistair fan...

rowe33 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You made that? Wow, that was friggin hilarious! :p

Great work!

"...Anora, please...get over it."

Classic.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I heard one of the companions's name was Nathaniel Howe... *laughs* Oh, my Human Noble character will just LOVE him.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That'll make for some interesting interactions there. I wonder if they'll let you cut his head off on sight.

Apparently Howe had a daughter too, but so far she hasn't been mentioned yet.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Dragon Age wiki has a nice summary of Awakenings and what to expect in terms of origins, who will be returning, how your existing DA:O character transfers over, and MORE!

nessin on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can someone answer me a question, if possible:

Does anyone know if the expansion will be available for purchase within the browser? Or how the EAGAMES digital download will integrate with the game browser? I prefer being able to download addons via the game browser, however I have a 25% off gift coupon from EAGAMES thanks to my birthday three weeks ago, so I was thinking of preordering the EAGAMES digital download instead.

Also: There is no benefit of the retail version, right? No special codes or anything? I don't care about physical swag, like maps or trinkets...only content.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Can someone answer me a question, if possible:

Does anyone know if the expansion will be available for purchase within the browser? Or how the EAGAMES digital download will integrate with the game browser? I prefer being able to download addons via the game browser, however I have a 25% off gift coupon from EAGAMES thanks to my birthday three weeks ago, so I was thinking of preordering the EAGAMES digital download instead.

Also: There is no benefit of the retail version, right? No special codes or anything? I don't care about physical swag, like maps or trinkets...only content.

You either download it online or you buy it as a disc. That's about it.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Finally got to the end game (Full-time job and a major part time job limit my game time).

That being said.
    FUCK you archdemon and your Blight Horde... One day I will beat you, just... Not any time soon.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I heard one of the companions's name was Nathaniel Howe... *laughs* Oh, my Human Noble character will just LOVE him.

The first word out of his mouth better be "Sorry". "My father was an evil bastard and I'm glad you killed him" is also acceptable.

Hopefully there will be an option for me to tell him how his father died. A bear was involved.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bear rape is an epidemic in Fereldan these days.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pffft, a bear. To easy.

In my game Howe was killed with my nobles family heirloom sword, which I lugged around in my backpack from the origin, through ostegar, through the woods, through the deep roads, through the fade, up a mountain, through a castle and into a dungeon. Just so I could equip it right before I reached him and BURY IT IN HIS FUCKING GUT!!

And it was worth it.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    See, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

And they said this was a light rpg.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Some people just have an instinctual knack for vengeance /hi5

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    deowolf wrote: »
    See, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

And they said this was a light rpg.

I wish I had thought of that.

I also really wish that I had brought Dog along. Watching him rip Howe's throat out would have been even better than the Bear.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »

The first word out of his mouth better be "Sorry". "My father was an evil bastard and I'm glad you killed him" is also acceptable.

Hopefully there will be an option for me to tell him how his father died. A bear was involved.

According to a wiki entry on the unofficial wikia for Dragon Age, Nathaniel Howe is the same character as depicted in the second Penny Arcade Dragon Age comic, shown on Dragon Age's homepage. If that's the case, then he IS Rendon's son, and he's definitely NOT sorry.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
This discussion has been closed.