Options

RUMOR - Microsoft to purchase Capcom?

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Meiz wrote:
    This isn't going to happen.

All the Christians aren't going to rapture up to heaven and leave the rest of us to suffer as Satan takes over the world either..... but it sure scares the hell out of me to even consider that it might be true.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    Captain K wrote:
    No, this would be totally awesome, because Rare has made nothing but great games since Microsoft bought them.

But we all know the REAL Rare was never bought by MS though, so it's a little different
    Ah, so then Capcom would splinter in half, the retarded step-child company that retains its name putting out shitty games for the next few years, and its talented developers leaving to vanish into obscurity? Great!

Anyway, I won't buy this until I hear an official announcement. Microsoft bought Rare from Nintendo; buying Capcom, a company not already owned by any other game companies, would be a much different prospect.

Bungie is doing TERRIBLY since microsoft bought them. TERRIBLY.

This is sarcasm.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a 360 and I don't want this to happen. Because I also have a DS, PSP, a Wii and a PS2 and would like to see some of the games continue on those platforms. I'd also love to see some of their franchises put on the Wii with it's awesome control system.

Samphis on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

This is sarcasm.
    Had MS not bought them, we might have a Halo DS [game on] thread right now

LewieP on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MS to buy all Video game companies in 5 years!

Artoria on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:

This is sarcasm.

if Bungie hadn't been bought by microsoft, we wouldn't have seen halo anything. Bungie was in a hole financially when they were developing halo. I remember seeing a special where they claimed that microsoft basically saved them financially and allowed them to continue making the game.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    They were slated to buy Rockstar over the summer. It would've been cheaper. Not to mention Capcom would have to want to get bought. They'll merge with Konami before being bought.
    You're right, they have; Conkers, Kameo, PDZ and Viva Pinata have all been good games.

:lol:

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In the event that this does happen, it would be awesome if MS just told capcom it could't develop on sony platforms. I am a Wii60 owner so I really like the idea of Nintendo and Microsoft working together.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "Hello, Rumor. I'm Overreaction."

"Yes, I believe we've met."

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    You're right, they have; Conkers, Kameo, PDZ and Viva Pinata have all been good games.

I'll never understand the hate PDZ gets. I played through it, and it's fine. It probably saw the most play on my 360 before I got gow.

As for Kameo... I have it, but I haven't played more than 5 minutes of it, so I can't judge.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    wait..

...and no one has made an 'in 5 years' joke?

what the hell is going on?

Um, uh, er...

Microsoft to buy itself in five years?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SlayerVin wrote:
    "Ok kids, now if you look to your left you just might get a glimpse of the elusive fanboy... Oh! It would appear some of them have come out of their darkened lairs to feed upon a rumor. Notice their sloping brows and hairy knuckles... Don't make eye contact though, children! The last thing you want is t...

BILLY! Stop pulling Jill's hair!"

This rumor may come off as a bit fanboy-ish, but I'm happily entrenched in impartiality with 18 DS games, 33 ps2 games, and 3 xbox 360 games.

I've been a staunch Nintendo-supporter my whole life, a deep sadness welled in my heart when Sony drop kicked Nintendo in the face with the PS1. But at this point, I've come to realize "who the fuck cares?". I want to play good games. The xbox 360 is a good platform and Capcom is an amazing company. I doubt Capcom's quality will be changed by Microsoft.

Wasn't talking about you.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "Hello, Rumor. I'm Overreaction."

"Yes, I believe we've met."

"Hello, Jail. I'm Sig Is Too Fucking Big."

"Nice to meet you."

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:

This is sarcasm.

if Bungie hadn't been bought by microsoft, we wouldn't have seen halo anything. Bungie was in a hole financially when they were developing halo. I remember seeing a special where they claimed that microsoft basically saved them financially and allowed them to continue making the game.
    there are other sources of finance microsoft could have done other than bought outright. I'm not saying microsoft having nothing to do with bungie would have been the best solution or anything, but now that bungie is wholey owned by microsoft, the chances of seeing a handheld Halo are effectively zero. You think Capcom woukd make any handheld games if they were owned by microsoft. Say goodbye to Pheonix Wright + MegaMan Battle Network, never mind all the PSP ports.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    They were slated to buy Rockstar over the summer. It would've been cheaper. Not to mention Capcom would have to want to get bought. They'll merge with Konami before being bought.

If that laugh was anywhere near Viva Pinata, you will get shivved.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    That all said, I hope microsoft doesn't buy capcom (in 5 years olol) because there are a bunch of wii games I'd like to see from capcom.

Namely Bionic Commando Wii.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

I'll never understand the hate PDZ gets. I played through it, and it's fine. It probably saw the most play on my 360 before I got gow.

As for Kameo... I have it, but I haven't played more than 5 minutes of it, so I can't judge.

PDDZ sucks, that's what is wrong with it. It's playable, but... ugh

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    LewieP wrote:

This is sarcasm.

there are other sources of finance microsoft could have done other than bought outright. I'm not saying microsoft having nothing to do with bungie would have been the best solution or anything, but now that bungie is wholey owned by microsoft, the chances of seeing a handheld Halo are effectively zero. You think Capcom woukd make any handheld games if they were owned by microsoft. Say goodbye to Pheonix Wright + MegaMan Battle Network, never mind all the PSP ports.

Rare makes DS games.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

There's at least 9 different platformers that were overwhelemingly better on a 6 year-old machine. After playing those, and then playing this, I was underwhelmed to say the least.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • Options
    edited January 2007

"No it doesn't"
    "yes it does"
    "no it doesn't"
    "yes it does"

and so on.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

"No it doesn't"
    "yes it does"
    "no it doesn't"
    "yes it does"

and so on.

Rabbit season

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    LewieP wrote:

This is sarcasm.

Rare makes DS games.
    ok, but no way near as much as they would were they a nintendo 2nd party, still, or independant. Actually this example isn't perfect because rare pump out like one game every 2 years, but nintendo could have ported all their N64 games to DS. Perfect Dark DS at launch would have sold alot of systems.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

There's at least 9 different platformers that were overwhelemingly better on a 6 year-old machine. After playing those, and then playing this, I was underwhelmed to say the least.

A game can't stand on its own merits? Just because there are better games doesn't mean a game is bad.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

"No it doesn't"
    "yes it does"
    "no it doesn't"
    "yes it does"

and so on.

Rabbit season

DUCK SEASON!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Some info from a few months ago that can be taken either way:

http://ps3.qj.net/Capcom-on-multiformat-strategy-and-titles-exclusivity/pg/49/aid/67605

I've heard that Capcom has been facing "financial woes" for the last few months. I don't know if this would lead to being bought by Microsoft (even though I started the thread I kind of doubt it, although would like it), but it does seem that a single home console strategy would be good for reducing development/porting costs.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    LewieP wrote:
    LewieP wrote:

This is sarcasm.

Rare makes DS games.
    ok, but no way near as much as they would were they a nintendo 2nd party, still, or independant. Actually this example isn't perfect because rare pump out like one game every 2 years, but nintendo could have ported all their N64 games to DS. Perfect Dark DS at launch would have sold alot of systems.

Straw, meet man.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

"No it doesn't"
    "yes it does"
    "no it doesn't"
    "yes it does"

and so on.

Rabbit season

DUCK SEASON!

RABBIT SEASON!

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SlayerVin wrote:
    Some info from a few months ago that can be taken either way:

http://ps3.qj.net/Capcom-on-multiformat-strategy-and-titles-exclusivity/pg/49/aid/67605

I've heard that Capcom has been facing "financial woes" for the last few months. I don't know if this would lead to being bought by Microsoft (even though I started the thread I kind of doubt it, although would like it), but it does seem that a single home console strategy would be good for reducing development/porting costs.
    as I said before, my intuition tells me they would prefer to look at other avenues of debt control before they got into the position where they had to sell out to microsoft. Indeed, I think a nintendo/sony merger (like squeenix) would be more likely.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

"No it doesn't"
    "yes it does"
    "no it doesn't"
    "yes it does"

and so on.

Rabbit season

DUCK SEASON!

RABBIT SEASON!

RABBIT SEASON!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    are you guys referencing an old daffy duck cartoon?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

"No it doesn't"
    "yes it does"
    "no it doesn't"
    "yes it does"

and so on.

Rabbit season

DUCK SEASON!

RABBIT SEASON!

RABBIT SEASON!

DUCK SEASON!!!

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:

no, this is part of the discussion MS had with Capcom

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:

DUCK SEASON, FIRE!!

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:

RABBIT SEASON!

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:

An acme representitive was on hand with plenty of anvils.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:

This is sarcasm.

that's pretty-much what's happened with Lionhead, too. Everyone's said it's a stupid move, but i think it's a good one for them both. Regarding Capcom, if they don't need to do it, there's no reason why they should/will (rumours are just that until proven), but i personally don't have a problem with exclusivity. Dead Rising is one of the best titles on the console, anyway.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Come to think of it, does Capcom have anything planned for the Wii?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:

Resident Evil Wii

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:

Resident Wiivil

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Elmer Fudd wrote:
    Wesident Wiivil

edit: DAMN YOU MIND-READING MINDREADERS.
    DAMN YOU TO HELL.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png