Options

RUMOR - Microsoft to purchase Capcom?

1235»

Posts

  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    The only people who could possibly be in favour of this are people who own or are planning on getting a 360. MS bought Bungie and Rare. Bungie churns out Halo (which sucks balls oh yes it does) and Rare...well Rare sits around and twiddles their thumbs.

    Capcom is a developer, publisher and its responsible for a great deal of impressive IPs. It should and best had remain independent for the sake of gamers everywhere.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, but that's what Rare always did, even before MS bought them out.

    Also, Viva Pinata is awesome.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is one of the worst rumors I've ever heard.

    Henroid on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It seems that a "Microsoft to buy X" rumor has popped up every six months or so.

    Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    7 pages of this because of that tard on Evil Avatar. Ugh.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The only people complaining about this rumor are people without an Xbox 360.

    Hence why, as a business standpoint, this would be extremely beneficial to Microsoft.

    But it isnt going to happen.

    I mean if this does happen, the whole 'Microsoft to buy Nintendo 5 years' meme joke thing would be a very pressing concern.

    ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    The only people complaining about this rumor are people without an Xbox 360.

    Hence why, as a business standpoint, this would be extremely beneficial to Microsoft.

    But it isnt going to happen.

    I mean if this does happen, the whole 'Microsoft to buy Nintendo 5 years' meme joke thing would be a very pressing concern.

    I have a 360. Still don't want it to happen.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    The only people complaining about this rumor are people without an Xbox 360.

    Hence why, as a business standpoint, this would be extremely beneficial to Microsoft.

    But it isnt going to happen.

    I mean if this does happen, the whole 'Microsoft to buy Nintendo 5 years' meme joke thing would be a very pressing concern.
    Or, it would be if Nintendo didn't make money hand over fist.

    Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gamestop just had an article on this.

    At this point, Capcom has NOT been purchased by Microsoft.
    However, plausibility does not equal reality. And in this case, the reality is, that, for the time being, Microsoft is not buying Capcom. Apparently this latest orgy of speculation is an ancient rumor, resurrected by a Japanese blog promising a "On January 11th in game industry large announcement," according to a clunky Babel Fish translation. That, in turn, prompted a huge forum thread on the new Gaming Age forums, the Star Wars cantina of game gossip, which led to another post on the EvilAvatar forums, a top virtual water cooler for the overexcited gamer. Then came RSS feeds, rampant content poaching and...well, you do the math.

    While Microsoft quickly raised its boilerplate defense shields (Q: "Is the world flat?" A: "Microsoft does not comment on rumors or speculation."), Capcom was more forthcoming. "It's a three-year-old rumor, most likely refueled by our recent spate of 360 titles," a rep told GameSpot.

    Bogus or not bogus?: BOGUS. "No soup for you! You come back, one year!"

    http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25304105&sid=6164175&tag=latestnews;title;0

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The only people complaining about this rumor are people without an Xbox 360.

    Hence why, as a business standpoint, this would be extremely beneficial to Microsoft.

    But it isnt going to happen.

    I mean if this does happen, the whole 'Microsoft to buy Nintendo 5 years' meme joke thing would be a very pressing concern.
    Or, it would be if Nintendo didn't make money hand over fist.

    I think this makes the chances of a buyout more likely, though only relative (because the chances are so minute even at the best of times).

    I thought Capcoms profits were down quite a lot of late? Hence why a merger/buyout would be more likely.

    Still, this is all a moot point. It is never going to happen, ever. Period.

    ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hence why, as a business standpoint, this would be extremely beneficial to Microsoft.
    Except that I wouldn't get a 360 for Capcom, and neither, I would guess, would a lot of other people, serving only to hurt Capcom's software sales.

    But I guess that's just one take. *shrug*

    Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Gamestop just had an article on this.

    At this point, Capcom has NOT been purchased by Microsoft.
    However, plausibility does not equal reality. And in this case, the reality is, that, for the time being, Microsoft is not buying Capcom. Apparently this latest orgy of speculation is an ancient rumor, resurrected by a Japanese blog promising a "On January 11th in game industry large announcement," according to a clunky Babel Fish translation. That, in turn, prompted a huge forum thread on the new Gaming Age forums, the Star Wars cantina of game gossip, which led to another post on the EvilAvatar forums, a top virtual water cooler for the overexcited gamer. Then came RSS feeds, rampant content poaching and...well, you do the math.

    While Microsoft quickly raised its boilerplate defense shields (Q: "Is the world flat?" A: "Microsoft does not comment on rumors or speculation."), Capcom was more forthcoming. "It's a three-year-old rumor, most likely refueled by our recent spate of 360 titles," a rep told GameSpot.

    Bogus or not bogus?: BOGUS. "No soup for you! You come back, one year!"

    http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25304105&sid=6164175&tag=latestnews;title;0

    Awesome, thanks, I've been looking for a definitive yea or nay all day. Triple rhyme ftw!

    SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    Yeah, it didn't work with Mistwalker or anything.
    You say that for a situation when they had no next-gen competition. See how well that pans out when that shit actually has to compete with all those Final Fantasy XIII's coming out.

    As long as the Mistwalker games and FFXIIIs don't come out the same month it won't matter.

    And I'm willing to bet that Final Fantasy XIII will come out on the Xbox 360 as well. If so, even that argument is moot. The possibility of it happening almost makes his argument moot.
    And just where is this possibility coming from? Your own head? Yeah, that's real credible.
    Are you able to converse here without being a total lackwit? Square has publically distanced themselves, even if it was rather slight, from Sony and the PS3. They came out and stated outright that they are not interested in favoring any system. Couple this with how poorly the PS3 is doing, with how dismayed publishers and developers seem to be with SCEA, Inc., and with how their "exclusives" are dropping like flies, and you have the possibility for just about any game - DMC4, MGS4, FF13 - to show up on the Xbox 360. Will it happen? I have no idea. But to say that the possibility is incredible considering the evidence is absurd. It's very possible.
    Except that Square is on even worse terms with MS for doing a shitty job advertising the FFXI 360 bundle, which sold poorly despite being a huge Japanese brand.

    I'd sooner be a "lackwit" than try to prove my point by making shit up. :|

    But you just did.

    I'm not sure where you get Square being on "worse terms" with MS. They have two other games coming to the system (Sylpheed may already be out) and a title by their development team Tri Ace. Just because the game didn't sell well doesn't mean they're on bad terms with MS. That's a rather nice assumption ya got there too.

    It's a five year old game with a steady but declining userbase that is already very established on other systems. It's not like it was going to be a huge seller in the first place.

    Aoi on
  • Options
    Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I will ride the fucking roflcopter if it happens.

    Still, if it does happen, and MS lets Capcom produce DS games like Rare does then I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think I'd prefer it actually. It would be nice to see the 360 do better in Japan.

    Capcom is upset with Sony though, as are a lot of devs.

    Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Keep in mind that devs aren't merely upset with Sony about the PS3. The PSP is also a mess for most publishers and developers. And I get that information from my own interviews with various devs/publishers.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ArchaenArchaen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, Gamespot.com pretty much debunks the rumor. It's on their front page. While I guess anything is possible, it looks to be a very old rumor from the tubes. Just an fyi.

    Archaen on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Archaen wrote:
    So, Gamespot.com pretty much debunks the rumor. It's on their front page. While I guess anything is possible, it looks to be a very old rumor from the tubes. Just an fyi.
    man, i just knew he had to be behind it somehow.

    CURSE YOU!

    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    And Resident Wiivil continues on, unscathed! :)

    Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wouldn't want this to happen, not because I don't have an XBox360 (and I don't have one, and I will probably never own one). I just want to see what Capcom can do with the Wii. Fuck that, "Oh, I don't mind if MS buys Capcom, as long as they can still make DS games." I want something other than Nintendo games to play on my Wii.

    Also, this kinda thing would result in there being no more Capcom games on the VC. I wanna play Mega Man 2 with my Wii Remote turned sideways, as God intended.

    Dirty on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dirty wrote:
    I wouldn't want this to happen, not because I don't have an XBox360 (and I don't have one, and I will probably never own one). I just want to see what Capcom can do with the Wii. Fuck that, "Oh, I don't mind if MS buys Capcom, as long as they can still make DS games." I want something other than Nintendo games to play on my Wii.

    Also, this kinda thing would result in there being no more Capcom games on the VC. I wanna play Mega Man 2 with my Wii Remote turned sideways, as God intended.

    Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
Sign In or Register to comment.