As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Avengers Thread! 'Nuff Said

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    how many dudes in capes punch other dues in capes in phonogram

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FiggisFiggis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »
    And then go buy Phonogram!

:(

Of course.

Figgis on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

none, but a 19 year old blonde chick talks about epic nights and win flakes and boys that are totes hot.

Langly on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Langly wrote: »

none, but a 19 year old blonde chick talks about epic nights and win flakes and boys that are totes hot.

so you definitely don't want me reading this book

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Langly wrote: »

so you definitely don't want me reading this book

I would avoid it at all costs. Someone posted the promo chapter in SE a few days ago. If it gets better, it was the worst section to show as your promo.

Langly on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You make me sad, Langly. See how sad am I?

Wildcat on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Figgis wrote: »
    Gillen's a pretty good games journalist too. Check out Rock, Paper, Shotgun for his PC stuff. He's worked for the UK PC gamer for years.

I've been reading RPS for what, two, two-and-a-half years now? It was kind of shocking when the two worlds of my two interests had a cross-over in the form of Gillen.

I liked Phonogram well enough, but I wasn't crazy about it (I think I might like it more on a second read-through), possibly because music doesn't mean as much to me as it obviously does to Gillen. I keep meaning to read Singles Club. I'll probably pick both up at one point if only to support the guys financially - they keep talking about how Phonogram basically missed being a Big Thing by a tiny margin. I know it's kinda too late to help with that (I didn't realize they were in such dire straits when the singles were coming out), but I figure I can at least help them out now as best as I can.

(And I am a paying subscriber to RPS, so I feel good about that.)

Delduwath on
    edited April 2010
    I think that The Singles Club is much more accessible than Rue Britannia was, I'd definitely recommend giving that a go.

Wildcat on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ha! I was wondering if it was the same dude. I remember him from a SomethingAwful post about him being a kind of silly goose reviewer... ah! It was about Darwinia, no wonder. "Time for a Monday neologism: Post-genre." Hahaha that game made so many people go insane. I think he's improved since then, though.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited April 2010
    More proof that I should never go near SA.

Wildcat on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just noticed that Age of Heroes has Busiek writing an Avengers story. Busiek, Remender, and Cornell all writing in the same book is enough to cancel out having Dan Slott in the same book. I'd be so happy if this led to Busiek writing an Avengers ongoing again.

Hensler on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Everyone should be buying every issue of Age of Heroes, and not just because it's actually leading up to other stuff in other books (Young Allies for instance and the Sharon Carter/Maria Hill/Victoria Hand story setting up all the Avengers books) but because good anthology books need to be supported.

Furu on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They should sell Age of Heroes issues dirt cheap. If they want to make new intellectual properties, then Marvel needs to make it easier for people to become acquainted with them.

I'd pick up an Age of Heroes if it was 0.50 or $1, but for $3.99 I would probably pass.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Unlettered preview pages for Academy #1 are up on CBR.

God damn, Fortress reaction images are going to be EVERYWHERE once that series starts.

ManetherenWolf on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

God damn, Fortress reaction images are going to be EVERYWHERE once that series starts.

Care to elaborate? Did he stick Jocasta in a fridge?

DarkWarrior on
    edited May 2010
    DW do you ever stop saying stupid and/or wrong things?

Furu on
    edited May 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    DW do you ever stop saying stupid and/or wrong things?

Let us test it out.

Furu, you are handsome and not the least bit smelly.

Also I was genuinely asking what happened with Fortress.

DarkWarrior on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    They should sell Age of Heroes issues dirt cheap. If they want to make new intellectual properties, then Marvel needs to make it easier for people to become acquainted with them.

I'd pick up an Age of Heroes if it was 0.50 or $1, but for $3.99 I would probably pass.
    That was originally the plan for Trinity; make the issues like, ten pages long, but sell them for a buck a pop. Just something fun and cheap that people could pick up every week. It'd be cool to see Marvel do the same thing, but I get the impression that they don't like to fuck with their printing format too much.

Munch on
    edited May 2010
    What even happened in Trinity? I gave up on the DC weekly titles after 52, but I remember seeing some covers with cool character designs.

Hensler on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Academy preview:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26113

Looks like them getting their costumes, and a training session between Reptil and Fortress. Reason I was saying about the Fortress reaction images is because yes, his face ALWAYS stays like that it seems. I couldn't help but laugh every time I saw it. Especially the last panel of this page
    prv5119_pg6.jpg

ManetherenWolf on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    What even happened in Trinity? I gave up on the DC weekly titles after 52, but I remember seeing some covers with cool character designs.

It wound up being basically a House of M "what would have happened if Batman/WW/Superman never existed," which was pretty cool, Busiek had a better grasp of it.

Busiek and Bagley did the main story of 12-15 pages an issue, and then the second story (which gave side stories about certain characters) was done by Busiek, Nicieza, and a rotating art team of McDaniel, Norton, and Derenick.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2010
    Academy preview:

Looks like them getting their costumes, and a training session between Reptil and Fortress. Reason I was saying about the Fortress reaction images is because yes, his face ALWAYS stays like that it seems. I couldn't help but laugh every time I saw it. Especially the last panel of this page
    prv5119_pg6.jpg

You hyped this up to be alot more than it was.

Also already far too much focus on the two lamest characters of Academy.

DarkWarrior on
    edited May 2010
    Academy preview:

prv5119_pg6.jpg

You've read the issue?

Hensler on
    edited May 2010
    Academy preview:

prv5119_pg6.jpg

You've read the issue?

Those 2 pages were more than enough of Reptil and the bandana girl

DarkWarrior on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Man, they already are.

MastaP on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm superpumped about the Avenger's Academy. Finesse, Hazmat, and Reptil are the most interesting characters Marvel has created since Trauma.

I really wish they'd bring back Armory, she got the raw end of the deal in the Initiative.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm superpumped about the Avenger's Academy. Finesse, Hazmat, and Reptil are the most interesting characters Marvel has created since Trauma.

I really wish they'd bring back Armory, she got the raw end of the deal in the Initiative.

She also had rad pink hair and an armgun, which sounds horribly 90's but really wasn't.

Solar on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They did a lot of great things with the Initiative, but getting rid of her was retarded. She had such potential. Instead, they keep a girl who flies around on clouds.

Stupid.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited May 2010
    They are bringing back Armory. Read the solicit for AA #2.

Furu on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They are bringing back Armory. Read the solicit for AA #2.

Sweet.

Solar on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wish MVP wasn't 86'd then had all that "stuff" happen after since he was sorta cool in a generic way. I figured his generic starting power set and personality would make for a promising starting point that could go in any direction. Shame.

Caveman Paws on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not sure why you guys like Armory and MVP so much. Armory seemed like a Mary-Sue (she showed up the Avengers in her first battle) and MVP seemed like the generic fearless leader, which is why it was so important to take them out in issue 1.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, MVP's entire point was to die

I wish something would be done with the last Scarlet Spider though.

Furu on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Armory seemed like she could have been interesting, but they never gave her a chance. I mean, she beat Ultimo. Not exactly an achievement.

Fencingsax on
    edited May 2010

He's been in the Kraven teasers for Spider-Man, right? He'll probably die soon.

Hensler on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    But Ron Zimmerman is back at Marvel, which means he can write another terrible Kraven story!

TexiKen on
    edited May 2010

He's been in the Kraven teasers for Spider-Man, right? He'll probably die soon.

Yeah, he, Kaine, and Madame Web are the only expendable ones so they'll probably all get killed off :?

Furu on
    edited May 2010
    Spider-Girl (the Loners version) is also fairly expendable, IMHO.

cshadow42 on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    His last words will be, "What am I even doing here?!"

They should bring Steel Spider in instead. If anyone should heroically sacrifice himself, it ought to be the loser with something to prove.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2010
    Apparently they're going to bring in the Black Widow and Spider-Woman as well. Though bringing in those two should elevate the storyline to an Avengers thing.

cshadow42 on