As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's make some Viral Horror]- The epic terror of Mandible "manny" Toothfacé

King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Okay folks in an effort to keep the Creepy and Terrifying Tales thread clean of our horrible horrible creativity , Manny Penny- Arcade Forums own urban legend will be further developed here.

How it started
From Arch - To bring this back to "creepy", I will attempt to relate something that always troubled me, in the vein of "night terrors" and "hallucinations"...but different.

So when I lived with my parents (about 5 years ago) we lived in a 2-story house. All the kids (sister, me, two brothers) lived upstairs. We had a den (with videogames, tv, couch, etc) as well as our own full bathroom that we had to keep clean etc. Pretty sweet deal. So one night I was reading in the den (nothing scary, I was reading comic books) when I suddenly really had to pee. So I walked out of the den and went to grab the handle for the bathroom door when I froze with my hand on the handle.

The house was completely quiet (as it was somewhere like 2am) and I was suddenly terrified. With my hand on the door I just stood there, all the lights on in the den/hallway, nothing creepy going on at all. I was just struck with this horrible feeling of terror. I knew, just knew that if I opened the door at that moment I would see something I didn't want to or wasn't supposed to.

Let me describe this bathroom- it was essentially a hallway. You open the door, and was about 9 ft wide and like 20ft long. On your right is the bathtub, then a little alcove with the toilet, then the sink. With my hand on the door I couldn't explain why I thought this, but I was certain that if I opened the door there would be something sitting on the toilet, waiting for me. I even knew what it would look like....you guys know that *.gif that is a thing that is essentially a huge mouth where someone's head should be? and it rotates left and right just chomping at the air?

EDIT: THIS thing!

Before I had even seen that, that exact thing is what I knew was waiting on the toilet for me, just sitting there and grinning.

I was creeped out, and went downstairs to pee.

Wouldn't have been nearly as unsettling if I didn't keep having this feeling every now and then..

There are times where I will go to open doors and just freeze because I know that thing is on the other side. It isn't limited to nighttime either.

I mean I understand that this is probably just me being paranoid and having some kind of mental tumble, but it is always so damn unsettling.

Best example- It was (again) late, but this time in my dorm at Uni. My bedroom was right across from the bathroom door (score?). One night I had to pee really badly, so I walked out. As soon as my hand hit that door I froze. I knew that thing was in there, sitting on the sink this time. Apparently I stood there with my hand on the door trembling for like a good five minutes, because my friend was in the hallway on his laptop (his roomate was sleeping and the typing bothered him). He shook me out of it by asking me what the fuck was wrong, at which point all the fear vanished, I walked in, peed, and went back to sleep.

But really, the worst part of this was last week. My little sister was staying at my new house (cause she is rad and one of my best friends) and we were just playing smash bros when she asked me- "Hey, has this ever happened to you? You go to open the bathroom door upstairs and it just...it just feels like someone is in there, y'know? Like someone not nice...just sitting on the toilet waiting for you...."

We call him manny because I didn't want a Google search to end up here. as it turns out Toothface is a legitmate slang word. Who knew?

Some ground rules
-Manny's motives are unclear
-Manny can only manifest behind a closed door
-Arch will soon have a heart attack
-The victim somehow instinctively knows what Manny looks like. They can't explain how or why
-One outcome is that eventually all doors on a house will be removed in an effort to stall or stop Manny. Others have suggested the opposite hundreds of doors added pointlessly to confuse it. In either scenario the Victim is driven mad.
-The victim simply vanishes in either outcome.
- Teeth and losing teeth are not a theme of Manny. He simply hasw a giant gaping maw that has teeth in it. He does not steal your teeth .
- Manny has arms - I'm sorry a Walking penis is not scary.

- It should become apparent Manny feeds on fear but will become proactive if someone stands up to him.

What we're currently discussing-
Should Manny be seen ? ( General consensus is no)

Should our 'victims" at least be able to describe manny ?

Should a signature of Manny stalking be constant grinning or seeing grins everywhere? ( again I find this a bit silly)

Should a sickly sweet smell accompany Manny?

Should the victim become a manny? ( This seems counter intuitive to the vagueness we're trying to get across.)

There are detailed descriptions of manny in the other thread I've chosen to ignore them. All we need to know is that Manny is humanoid has a massive giant mouth in place of a face and waits for you behind doors. Nothing else is relevant. To paraphrase Arch - the fear of Manny is the unknown.

A few members have started blogs. I'd ask that at least for now you take them down until we get a stable outline going for how we want to attempt this.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
King Riptor on

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It'd like to repeat my comment from the Creepy thread that if Manny is seen, the reader never sees him or even hears about him first hand. If he is seen, the reader only hears about it from a friend of the victim, or a friend of a friend, to keep the appearance more vague, more mysterious, and more creepy.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Makes me think of the Chatterer. Which would be a good name for something spawned from D&D too. :P

Echo on
  • Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I still think he shouldn't be seen cept for maybe his hands, at the best a really distorted silhouette shot (someone mentioned a cellphone pic). Constant grinning and seeing grinning is silly as is "knowing" that manny has a big grin if he's not going to be seen it just seems really forced.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really liked the idea that if you open the door to Manny, he starts to take you down. Sort of a backfire for people who ignore their fear and face him, they start getting appearances more often.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here, still supporting this idea.

Sipex on
  • bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Didn't someone mention the idea of Manny being naked or clothed? I'm kinda feeling the torn bits of cloth idea. Maybe if his hand is seen there could be a few dangling bits of dirty cloth.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    The animated gif makes me think of someone's mouth just growing until that is the result. Body inhabited by Manny, evolves into that?

Echo on
  • OliverOliver Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In my opinion, this stays a lot more believable if he is never seen. all it takes for this to be discounted as a huge hoax (even though it is based on a legit story) is one photo or video that can easily be proven to be manipulated.

I think a lot more effective method would be for multiple 'victims' to sketch what they saw in their mind on the other side of the closed door. the sketches are all similar etc, leading people to believe that this is all part of the same phenomenon. then you may start to have suggestable people who aren't connected with this operation report the same experience and spread it further.

Oliver on
  • LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Oliver wrote: »
    I think a lot more effective method would be for multiple 'victims' to sketch what they saw in their mind on the other side of the closed door. the sketches are all similar etc, leading people to believe that this is all part of the same phenomenon. then you may start to have suggestable people who aren't connected with this operation report the same experience and spread it further.

This has been done before! Have you seen this man?

I think we can still utilise the concept, though. It works very well.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I really liked the idea that if you open the door to Manny, he starts to take you down. Sort of a backfire for people who ignore their fear and face him, they start getting appearances more often.

I like this too. Everyone has that 'man, I kinda don't want to open that door right now' feeling at some point. Plus, this makes it clear: if he's hunting, it's your own damn fault. You could have just left the door closed.

JihadJesus on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I also like the idea of doors slamming in the middle of the night, and sounds being heard behind closed doors, like shuffling or clicking or breathing or something.

Yougottawanna on
    edited March 2010
    I also like the idea of doors slamming in the middle of the night, and sounds being heard behind closed doors, like shuffling or clicking or breathing or something.

Teeth chattering.

Echo on
    edited March 2010
    I also had an idea about someone trying to avoid getting Manny'd by always being with other people. Eventually she has to go to a public bathroom alone, so maybe she carefully chooses one of those that kind of bends around a corner so there's no door. When she goes in, all the stall doors are hanging open, except for one. But obviously the door isn't all the way to the floor so manny can't come in from there, and someone's in there anyway so it's okay. You can see the feet on the floor. The bare feet. In a public restroom.

Cue flipping out and running like hell, male friend waiting outside finding no one in there, etc etc.

JihadJesus on
    edited March 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I also had an idea about someone trying to avoid getting Manny'd by always being with other people. Eventually she has to go to a public bathroom alone, so maybe she carefully chooses one of those that kind of bends around a corner so there's no door. When she goes in, all the stall doors are hanging open, except for one. But obviously the door isn't all the way to the floor so manny can't come in from there, and someone's in there anyway so it's okay. You can see the feet on the floor. The bare feet. In a public restroom.

Cue flipping out and running like hell, male friend waiting outside finding no one in there, etc etc.

Why a male friend? He's not going to be allowed in the women's toilets anyway. I recommend a female friend who isn't a flaming stereotype! :D

Lieberkuhn on
    edited March 2010
    Mainly because that's why he'd be out there instead of going in with her in the first place? I think most male friends would happily bust into a women's restroom if their friend ran out in tears screaming about the strange naked man inside.

JihadJesus on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I like this too. Everyone has that 'man, I kinda don't want to open that door right now' feeling at some point. Plus, this makes it clear: if he's hunting, it's your own damn fault. You could have just left the door closed.

Have you ever read about or experienced sleep paralysis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
    Physiologically, sleep paralysis is closely related to the paralysis that occurs as a natural part of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is known as REM atonia. Sleep paralysis occurs when the brain awakes from a REM state, but the body paralysis persists. This leaves the person fully conscious, but unable to move. The paralysis can last from several seconds to several minutes "after which the individual may experience panic symptoms and the realization that the distorted perceptions were false".[5] As the correlation with REM sleep suggests, the paralysis is not entirely complete; use of EOG traces shows that eye movement can be instigated during such episodes.[6] When there is an absence of narcolepsy, sleep paralysis is referred to as isolated sleep paralysis (ISP).[7]

In addition, the paralysis state may be accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (hypnopompic or hypnagogic) and an acute sense of danger.[8] Sleep paralysis is particularly frightening to the individual because of the vividness of such hallucinations.[7] The hallucinatory element to sleep paralysis makes it even more likely that someone will interpret the experience as a dream, since completely fanciful, or dream-like, objects (often described as looking distinctly demonic by those who experience the paralysis)[citation needed] may appear in the room alongside one's normal vision. Some scientists have proposed this condition as an explanation for alien abductions and ghostly encounters.[9] A study by Susan Blackmore and Marcus Cox (the Blackmore-Cox study) of the University of the West of England supports the suggestion that reports of alien abductions are related to sleep paralysis rather than to temporal lobe lability.[10]

Here's how I could see it structured:

Somebody has a sleep paralysis episode wherein they are "awake" but unable to move, terrified, and they see Manny in the open doorway leading to the bedroom.

They freak out, but still unable to move. Then they close their eyes or look away, and then they wake up. They open their eyes again, now able to move, but the bedroom door is closed. Everything else appears identical to the "dream."

They're terrified to open the bedroom door.

Throughout the following days/nights, they hear chattering or skittering behind closed doors.

Occasionally, in dim light, or out of the corner of their eye, they see a glimpse of Manny behind an ajar door.

Sometimes when they glance at a door in dim light it appears to be open with Manny behind it. When they look closer or turn on the lights, the door is closed.

The victim starts leaving doors open everywhere... only to discover them closed when they recheck, leading them to question their own sanity.

The sleep paralysis episodes get more and more frequent. The waking visions get more frequent as well. This leads to insomnia. The victim starts to see Manny in other people's doors; looking out the window onto the street in other people's front doors.

Victim's mental state continues to deteriorate. In one particular moment of weirdness, he removes a door from its hinges and leans it against a wall. But upon glancing at the detached door, it appears to be open into a hallway that isn't there. He freaks down and throws the door on the ground. A little while later, the door appears to open, MC Escher style, into a hallway leading down into the floor.

Where could it go from there? I'm not sure... I have more ideas though, it could easily get a lot freakier. :)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Somebody has a sleep paralysis episode wherein they are "awake" but unable to move, terrified, and they see Manny in the open doorway leading to the bedroom.

They freak out, but still unable to move. Then they close their eyes or look away, and then they wake up. They open their eyes again, now able to move, but the bedroom door is closed. Everything else appears identical to the "dream."

I used to have frequent sleep paralysis episodes in my teens. I nearly always saw some black shape as of a man wearing a cloak and a hood. Once it was something cat-sized that sat next to my head on the pillow. I could feel the pillow shifting as it moved.

The typical feelings of sheer terror and immense malice. I knew that if I could only get my hand above my head and turn on the lamp everything would go away.

I finally, ever so slowly, manage to get my hand up and turn on the lamp.

Then I wake up . There's no lamp on. There's no lamp there, I only had that lamp before I moved away from home. My hands are still under the sheets.

I can't find the words to describe the sheer terror you feel. Something is incredibly, horribly wrong and you can't do anything about it.

Echo on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't really like the idea of doors slamming at night -- if Manny needs a closed door behind which to materialize, when is he going to be in a situation to slam one?

Also, another important question: He obviously doesn't open doors on his own, but is that because he can't, or because he won't? If he can't, why is that? Some mystical "rule" he needs to follow? Or is it just that his hands/claws aren't suitable for doorknobs?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

making me feel better, and worse

Arch on
    edited March 2010
    Or is it just that his hands/claws aren't suitable for doorknobs?

Maybe he's a nail biter.

Echo on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't really like the idea of doors slamming at night -- if Manny needs a closed door behind which to materialize, when is he going to be in a situation to slam one?

Also, another important question: He obviously doesn't open doors on his own, but is that because he can't, or because he won't? If he can't, why is that? Some mystical "rule" he needs to follow? Or is it just that his hands/claws aren't suitable for doorknobs?

he wants YOU to open the doors- thus he won't do it himself because blah blah blah

see the post i quoted

its how he finds his victims

fuck you guys i am NEVER FUCKING opening any door i am afraid of ever again

Arch on
    edited March 2010
    One of the blogs or whatever that we set up for this needs to have advertisements -- all proceeds to go to Arch's impending medical bills.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • OliverOliver Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oliver wrote: »

This has been done before! Have you seen this man?

I think we can still utilise the concept, though. It works very well.

Haven't heard about that before, interesting!

Oliver on
    edited March 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    fuck you guys i am NEVER FUCKING opening any door i am afraid of ever again

My cat tries to open the wardrobe door late at night some times. It sounds as if something is banging softly against it from the inside.

...yeah.

Echo on
    edited March 2010

The 'rule' I like best is that when he first arrives, he can't open doors. He's just behind them. You have to open the door to him. But once you open the door to him, he can now open doors to get at you, so you need to get rid of all your doors.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Personally I feel that the less said about him the better. He shows up in empty rooms, he looks like...what he looks like, and something bad happens if you open the door. I like the idea that his haunting escalates because it's good for story plots. If he just keeps hanging out behind doors it's creepy, but it doesn't make for much of a short story. Defining his features and what he does and why he does it just takes away from it and encourages people using him in stories to try to work their fiction around the established 'facts'. The scary part of any horror is the unknown, and the less predictable and comprehensible Manny is, the better a horrific figure he becomes.

That said, the idea that he doesn't open doors because his hands can't grab the knobs is just hilarious.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    edited March 2010
    And don't worry Arch. If this works, Manny will be much too busy with all the people on the internet whose doors he will now be behind to have time to come after you :lol:

Decomposey on
    edited March 2010
    I just remembered a short story by... Dean Koontz, I think? Some guy stole an old lady's handbag.

It ended with the handbag eating him.

Echo on
    edited March 2010
    It's like the Ring. Arch struck a deal with Manny: "Hey, if you don't eat me, I'll make you internet-famous, and then you can eat any forumer you want!"

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yeah doors slamming breaks one of our ground rules. I don't think Manny would open a door. Not that he can't it's more that he doesn't need to. Eventually the person will break down and oipen the door on their own. That's the ultimate breaking point. The guy with no doors will realize there's always a door somewhere.
    The guy who locks himself in a door barricade will find out that he imprisioned himself not manny. That's when they break down and just open the door.

Then bam nothing.

Hearing Teeth Chattering though can work. As we progress it should be clear Manny can be behind anything that opens meaning that he could be in your dresser as you go to sleep.

King Riptor on
    edited March 2010
    Hearing Teeth Chattering though can work. As we progress it should be clear Manny can be behind anything that opens meaning that he could be in your dresser as you go to sleep.

I'd say anything that opens with a hinged 'door' of some sort. A dresser with swinging doors, yes, a dresser with just drawers no. Sliding windows no, old style window shutters yes. Otherwise if he can come out of just anything that opens then he'd be crawling out of soda cans or disc drives, and that's just silly.

Decomposey on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Decomposey wrote: »

I'd say anything that opens with a hinged 'door' of some sort. A dresser with swinging doors, yes, a dresser with just drawers no. Sliding windows no, old style window shutters yes. Otherwise if he can come out of just anything that opens then he'd be crawling out of soda cans or disc drives, and that's just silly.

Eyelids and mouths. Creepy.

No but I think you're right there's enough variety with hinges that we can limit it to that.

King Riptor on
    edited March 2010
    Eyelids and mouths. Creepy.

1928602720_bb1ee22667.jpg

Echo on
    edited March 2010

The 'rule' I like best is that when he first arrives, he can't open doors. He's just behind them. You have to open the door to him. But once you open the door to him, he can now open doors to get at you, so you need to get rid of all your doors.

This is pretty much how I think of it. I also like the 'any door on hinges' thing. Bastard's gonna get you when you open the washing machine someday.

JihadJesus on
  • Lars_DomusLars_Domus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, here's my two cents:

Manny is never seen or heard, nor does he ever manipulate physical objects. Ever. The smell I can take or leave, I guess... All there is are the bloggers' sense of dread at closed doors at particular times and this picture in their heads of a tooth-thing. No grins in their surroundings, no teeth lying around the house, no physical evidence of any kind. The sense of dread grows stronger each time they experience it, until they go mad. One of them even goes so far as to remove every last door in his house in the hopes of losing Manny.

That way you'll never be sure if Manny is just some sort of mental condition or some sort of actual creature/demon/alien/thing.

My guess:
    That giant mouth of his feeds on fear. But no one will ever find that out, of course.

Lars_Domus on
    edited March 2010

This is pretty much how I think of it. I also like the 'any door on hinges' thing. Bastard's gonna get you when you open the washing machine someday.

The washing machine isn't very threatening, though, is it?

I'm thinking the rule should be more any door that functions as a people-portal. So the wardrobe works, but the little cupboard you keep your drinking glasses in doesn't.

Lieberkuhn on
  • PopeTiberiiPopeTiberii Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I would have to agree with this. It would be interesting to see how removing doors would progress for the victim. Just the bathroom door at first. Then the rest of the doors to rooms. Then closets. Dresser doors, attic entrances, kitchen cabinets... China hutch cabinet doors. I'm just imagining that visually taking place over the course of weeks in random photos.

Just a picture of a guy and his friends, the doors around them closed. Then propped open. Then one is completely removed and so on for weeks until you realize there are no doors left in the house.

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    I figured out how to work in the video. What would be a reasonable defense if, when someone else is watching, Manny can't come right out and get you?

Broadcast your house streaming on a webcam whenever you're there alone. Someone could always be watching. He's going to have to stay mostly hidden - but let you know he'd innevitably get to you. Somehow. And since it's not on if other people are there, it'd be easy to set up small effects like doors moving subtly, people moving behind doors when nobody's there, and so on.

And then the attached blog can talk about times OUTSIDE the house, like the office episode or whatever, to show that it's clearly escalating. Maybe have it finish with the 'manny flips the fuses and everything does dark' that got postulated in the other thread, just show the door swing open on it's own (blocking the view of what is actually going on in the fuse box) and then everything cuts out.

JihadJesus on
    edited March 2010
    I figured out how to work in the video. What would be a reasonable defense if, when someone else is watching, Manny can't come right out and get you?

Broadcast your house streaming on a webcam whenever you're there alone. Someone could always be watching. He's going to have to stay mostly hidden - but let you know he'd innevitably get to you. Somehow. And since it's not on if other people are there, it'd be easy to set up small effects like doors moving subtly, people moving behind doors when nobody's there, and so on.

And then the attached blog can talk about times OUTSIDE the house, like the office episode or whatever, to show that it's clearly escalating. Maybe have it finish with the 'manny flips the fuses and everything does dark' that got postulated in the other thread, just show the door swing open on it's own (blocking the view of what is actually going on in the fuse box) and then everything cuts out.

This makes me think of Schroediner's cat. As long as you're not watching, the cat is definitely alive.

Lieberkuhn on
    edited March 2010
    I just keep imagining a perfectly empty wardrobe with an open door, someone closing the door, instantly opening it and heeee'res Mannyyyyy

Echo on