As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPad Thread] iOS 4.2 coming in November. Now that's some bull.

1565758596062»

• Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    hyperpower wrote: »
    Love the new Remote app for the iPad.
    Can anyone install OS 4.2 beta? Multitasking in it yet? Or is it restricted to developers only?

Developers only, unless you can find someone who wants to register your UDID. Multitasking is in, a lot of existing universal apps support it out of the box, and it's stable but not feature complete. Things like AirPrint and AirPlay aren't really working yet, though they're there.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So, does anyone else have a bluetooth keyboard that they pair with their iPad? I bought the Apple one today to use with my Windows desktop, and after a little AutoHotKey scripting, I love it. Everything works including eject and the multimedia keys, and I've rebound right-alt to fn and fn to ctrl so it doesn't fuck with me when trying to use typical windows shortcuts (though I've considered just binding cmd to ctrl and cmd+tab combo to alt+tab, that might become confusing).

Anyway, its great, but I can't figure out how to pair it with multiple devices without re-pairing it each time. People on the internet seem to say they've done it with no issue and just turn the Bluetooth on/off on their devices to switch, but it trips up when I try that and I have to repair. It's not the worst thing in the world since it's rare I'll use it on the iPad anyway, but I'd like to figure it out if I can.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    So, does anyone else have a bluetooth keyboard that they pair with their iPad? I bought the Apple one today to use with my Windows desktop, and after a little AutoHotKey scripting, I love it. Everything works including eject and the multimedia keys, and I've rebound right-alt to fn and fn to ctrl so it doesn't fuck with me when trying to use typical windows shortcuts (though I've considered just binding cmd to ctrl and cmd+tab combo to alt+tab, that might become confusing).

Anyway, its great, but I can't figure out how to pair it with multiple devices without re-pairing it each time. People on the internet seem to say they've done it with no issue and just turn the Bluetooth on/off on their devices to switch, but it trips up when I try that and I have to repair. It's not the worst thing in the world since it's rare I'll use it on the iPad anyway, but I'd like to figure it out if I can.
    Ooh, what drivers are you using to work it in windows?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Suds wrote: »
    Beejive uses push notifications. I can stay connected for 7 days.

"Connected", yes, but every time you close BeeJive on 3.x and re-open it, you have to reinitialize the app and reconnect to their server. iOS4's multitasking allows chat app makers to register the thread under the task completion API, and stay truly connected and running for up to 10 minutes of idle time. Meaning having a conversation with someone while browsing the web is a lot smoother.

See Colloquy on iOS4 for an example of this. It's largely superior to the BeeJive/Meebo OS 3 method. Push notifications are still used, but the ability to stay connected while swapping in and out of other apps makes the experience a ton smoother.

Which is why I've jailbroken my iPad and use Backgrounder and ProSwitcher.

What I don't like about Colloquy on iOS4 is that it can only stay connected for 10 minutes. I wish there was an option so that you could keep it connected indefinitely.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Ooh, what drivers are you using to work it in windows?

Standard bluetooth HID drivers plus this (download the w/ source version if you want to make customizations): http://code.google.com/p/uawks/

I turned on the option to rebind right-option to fn in UAWKS and then edited the FnMapper.AHK script to send Control when fn is pressed (commented lines are the original script functionality)
    if (FnValue = 16) {
      	; Fn is pressed
    		; FnKeyPressed := true
    		Send {Control down}
      } else {
        ; Fn is released
    		; FnKeyPressed := false
    		Send {Control up}
      }

works pretty brilliantly. with this setup, I do functionally have two left control keys, but I could rebind left control to FN or something if I felt like it.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Beejive uses push notifications. I can stay connected for 7 days.

"Connected", yes, but every time you close BeeJive on 3.x and re-open it, you have to reinitialize the app and reconnect to their server. iOS4's multitasking allows chat app makers to register the thread under the task completion API, and stay truly connected and running for up to 10 minutes of idle time. Meaning having a conversation with someone while browsing the web is a lot smoother.

See Colloquy on iOS4 for an example of this. It's largely superior to the BeeJive/Meebo OS 3 method. Push notifications are still used, but the ability to stay connected while swapping in and out of other apps makes the experience a ton smoother.

Which is why I've jailbroken my iPad and use Backgrounder and ProSwitcher.

What I don't like about Colloquy on iOS4 is that it can only stay connected for 10 minutes. I wish there was an option so that you could keep it connected indefinitely.

Well, it can only stay actually connected for 10 minutes because that's the time limit imposed on background task completion by iOS4's API. If you want Colloquy to keep your IRC session alive, you need to set up a PC as a "push bouncer" for Colloquy. This is what IM clients like Meebo and BeeJive do now, except there's no centralized way for an IRC client to keep you logged in, so you need to run a proxy on a PC that Colloquy can connect to.

I've found iOS4's multitasking implementation to be infinitely smoother than Backgrounder/ProSwitcher, especially in that it doesn't randomly kill apps that are doing something useful in the background. I realize that's not Backgrounder's fault, but I'd rather have the OS handle it for me than have to manage tasks. Effortless is key, especially on a tablet.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i just keep my ipad in my backpack. i'm cool

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    blackranger3dblackranger3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i just keep my ipad in my backpack. i'm cool

+1 just goes in my old laptop bag inside my griffin case. Hope to upgrade to this when it is available.

Anyone use a stylus with this puppy yet? I'm thinking of picking up a pogo stylus for taking notes in meetings.

Could this be the beginning of the end of paper?

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Hah, I picked up a Apple Wireless Keyboard for home (in conjunction with UWAKS) and liked it so much I got a second one for work.

I'll see if I can replicate the pairing thing, it's been a while since I needed to swap keyboard/device pairings.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've got this one, vertically oriented with leather on bottom.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Hah, I picked up a Apple Wireless Keyboard for home (in conjunction with UWAKS) and liked it so much I got a second one for work.

I'll see if I can replicate the pairing thing, it's been a while since I needed to swap keyboard/device pairings.

Yeah, I'm also considering buying one for work, or bringing in my old Apple wired aluminum one. My current wireless keyboard at work is IR based, and the constant interference/line-of-sight issues with the receiver are driving me crazy. It's probably time to replace it.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm using the apple folio case, got it as a gift, but it's kind of awkward. Has anyone tried that rebranded-all-over-the-place folio case with membrane keyboard?

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anybody got any recommendations for stands? Ideally something I can sling in my bag taht works both ways.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Anybody got any recommendations for stands? Ideally something I can sling in my bag taht works both ways.

I am using the compass, that is sold at the apple store.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/compass/

I like ti because it is SUPER compact... you cant bang on the keys super hard on the outside while you are typing in landscape (can be wobbly), but other than that one complaint it is pretty much a perfect mobile stand, and folds down to a VERY small size.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ben0207 wrote: »

Felloes Study Stand. Seriously. It's like five bucks, it folds down to be super-compact, and it works like a charm in both orientations.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Went for this. SImilar to the one Syn posted but a bit cheaper and without having to wait for postage (I'm an impatient man)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Another vote for the Compass. Them folks at Twelvesouth know how to make solid products.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm still using Legos...
    legos1.jpg

legos2.jpg

legos3.jpg

It's ADJUSTABLE!

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Those are Duplos sir.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    also, its eyes

its eyes

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Those are Duplos sir.

You are correct, sir.

I stole'd them from my two-year-old.
    also, its eyes

its eyes

Yeah, I just grabbed random pieces. If I spent more than 10 seconds making a stand I probably would have grabbed ones that were all the same color...

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You're both wrong. They are either Lego or Duplo, not Legos or Duplos. And don't worry about the colors, I think the mismatch adds charm.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Lego my eggos

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oooo, we are so close to getting a new iPad thread.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Ah, but how close are we to getting a new iPad?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Ah, but how close are we to getting a new iPad?

I don't think they are going to rush a new one out, even with the Galaxy Tab right around the corner (or did the Tab come out already?). Speaking of the Tab, i am so curious how much that thing will cost (without a cellular contract).

I'm moreso looking forward to an iOS update than a new iPad. Yeah the iPad will have camera(s), but I never use Facetime on my iPhone. Not until Macs (or more devices support the Facetime protocol) do I think I'll really get much usage out of Facetime. Actually, if Facetime worked over 3G I'd probably use it more...

Rothgarr on
This discussion has been closed.