As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

quick question about hedgehog populations

mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm putting together a leaflet about hedgehogs in urban areas for publication in the spring, mainly aimed at children and volunteers for the Lancashire Wildlife Trust. I've got most of the basics down, for example, what sorts of foods it's safe to leave out for them, possible benefits as pest control in the garden, avoiding killing them with slug pellets and the like... you get the idea.

However, the hardest part so far has been actually finding out what specific species is the most common in the United Kingdom.

If anybody can point me in the right direction here I'd be very grateful. Wikipedia is a bit vague on the subject, and my google-fu has failed me due to most of the results leading to domestic species of hedgehog.

thank you in advance for your time, people :)

mr-razzcocks on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    No idea, but I wish we in the US could trade our squirrels and raccoons for hedgehogs :)

We'll keep the armadillos though. Those guys are too funny to give up.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Erinaceus europaeus apparently.

I'm gonna second that having wild hedgehogs is the most awesomest thing ever. I want one. And raccoons aren't that bad, they have thumbs (kinda)!

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Erinaceus europaeus apparently.

I'm gonna second that having wild hedgehogs is the most awesomest thing ever. I want one. And raccoons aren't that bad, they have thumbs (kinda)!

Thanks for that, man. A look through several results for Erinaceus Europaeus seems to confirm it.

And hedgehogs are indeed awesome little critters. Good for your garden, too, hence people wanting to know what sort of stuff it's same to feed them. They seem a lot more common these days than a few years ago. They haven't fucking exploded the way squirrel populations have, so they're still rare enough that everyone gets excited when one appears in the back yard

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hedgehogs are awesome. Although not nearly as fast as some video game companies would have you think.

When I grew up in Poland, it was somewhat common to see them trapped in pits... it's more difficult for them to climb up and out of a hole in the ground than other critters, apparently (also, they roll back rather humorously).... maybe you should include a suggestion in your pamphlet to leave something they can climb if you must have a hole in the ground? piece of carpet, etc.

illig on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    illig wrote: »
    Hedgehogs are awesome. Although not nearly as fast as some video game companies would have you think.

When I grew up in Poland, it was somewhat common to see them trapped in pits... it's more difficult for them to climb up and out of a hole in the ground than other critters, apparently (also, they roll back rather humorously).... maybe you should include a suggestion in your pamphlet to leave something they can climb if you must have a hole in the ground? piece of carpet, etc.

yeah, on it. stock suggestion is to have a wooden plank they can walk up, but a steep incline can be difficult for them. also, covering swimming pools and keeping ponds shallow, as they can swim but tire quickly.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    Patrick RipollPatrick Ripoll Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just wanted to pop in to say that this is the best thread title ever.

Patrick Ripoll on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    illig wrote: »

True, although they can run up to 6 mi/h in spurts. Trust me, my last hedgie could be quite quick, especially when he wanted to play hide and seek.

But best pets ever? Definitely.
    (although 7 states still forbid them to be owned)

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For some reason, I read "Lancashire" as "Lancre" and your innocent request for hedgehog information made me all O_o.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There is only one hedgehog, and that hedgehog's name is Cardboard Tube. How do you guys not know this?

Cyvros on