As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heavy Rain: Mashing X To Call Out My Son's Name

191011121315»

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nope. David Cage said it's cause we know who that person is so we are shocked. Logic be damned.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nope. David Cage said it's cause we know who that person is so we are shocked. Logic be damned.

He really said that? Wow, what amazing horseshit.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

He really said that? Wow, what amazing horseshit.

...that also explains a lot.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, almost a year after release, I finally picked up and finished Heavy Rain. I really liked it. I actually managed to avoid spoilers for a year, so that’s good. I also beat the game with 100% Move controls, which worked very well and I would recommend it if you have the hardware.

I really hope that Heavy Rain did well enough to encourage other games of this type, especially now that Move and Kinect are available as control devices. Minor plot holes and control issues aside, it’s a really good game.

Here’s how my game played out:
    Seriously, spoilers ahead… watch out:
    I had Ethan complete four of the five trials; the only one I didn’t do was kill the drug dealer. I was able to correctly locate where Shaun was from the audio clues in the video recording.

When given the choice for Ethan and Madison to kiss, I had Ethan refuse her, which seemed completely natural to me (his kid’s missing… he didn’t have time to get it on). I had no idea how much that decision would change my story from then on. No chance of them to get together at the end at all.

I missed wiping the phone in the back of Manfred’s store. That one really made me mad, as I really thought I had got all the fingerprints, and then I go and miss the easiest one.

I typically went calm, collected, and kind throughout the game. I saved Lauren, gave the old man his medicine, didn’t shoot the religious guy, etc. I also got the trophy for collecting all the evidence, so I was proud of that.

Yes, Scott being the origami killer seemed a little odd at first. His thoughts that you can here throughout the game weren’t those of a killer, and the Manfred scene should have been done a little differently so that it’s more believable that he did the killing, while only obvious that he did once you’re looking for it. I do like the whole "pretending to be hired by the victims to get the evidence back" angle... I don't remember seeing/reading about that strategy before. His reasoning for all the killing didn't really make sense, but as someone who watches CSI and other crap whodunnit shows, I rarely think reasons given by serial killers ever do make sense. I'll chalk it up to "I don't understand his logic, but I'm not crazy, and obviously he is, so it's ok." Overall a good, not great, twist ending.

I had all 4 characters get to the warehouse at the end, but then, surprisingly, I got Norman killed in his battle with Scott on the conveyor belt. It only seemed like I missed two QTEs in the last part of the fight, but apparently this was enough to have him die. This was the only time in the game that I hurried up and turned the game off to try and redo it, but it had already autosaved. I was mad, since I really wanted to keep everyone alive for the “Four Heroes” trophy and I thought I had missed my chance to get it, but when the trophy popped up, I figured that Norman would die no matter what (I now know that it’s any four characters, not the main four characters). Even when I started reading about the other endings and seeing that he absolutely could have survived, I was still ok with him dying. Seems like a tragic hero this way.

I didn't get any of the "ARI is Norman's real addiction" vibe in the game, but maybe that's because I didn't really see an ending for him. I'll be curious to see if I see more of it if I ever play it again. I really want to.

The endings I saw were Ethan and Shaun moving to a new apartment, Madison writing the book and meeting “Vincent”, Norman dead, and Scott getting away… until Lauren shows up at the way end and shoots him in the head. That was seriously awesome.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    as far as norman and ARI-
    If you take too long trying to put together clues in the last ARI segment with him, his nose starts to bleed and he'll eventually die. Also if you beat the game with him he kicks the drug completely, but when he sits down at his desk a bunch of virtual tanks drive up and take aim at him even though he's not wearing his glasses.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you take too long trying to put together clues in the last ARI segment with him, his nose starts to bleed and he'll eventually die. Also if you beat the game with him he kicks the drug completely, but when he sits down at his desk a bunch of virtual tanks drive up and take aim at him even though he's not wearing his glasses.
    this is actually a lead-in to the sequel, featuring the Battlezone Killer

Zek on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I did notice the nosebleed thing when I was putting together all the clues, but I attributed it to the tripto, not the ARI. I'll be on the lookout for it next time.

Also, reading through the last Heavy Rain thread and seeing all the different ways scenes could go, I had no idea how often I barely escaped death. There were a ton of times where instead of avoiding the dangerous situation altogether, I had the "death" scene trigger, only to squeak by. Wow.

The more I think about it, the more I liked this game.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    it's a really good game that could have been a really great game if they had some solid editors taking a meat cleaver to the script.

My favorite bit was in the junkyard
    I fumbled the drug almost instantly after not noticing that I was supposed to hold down one of the buttons, and then trapped in the car I got dropped into the compactor and could have sworn I was too late on the QTE to survive

and then hand just comes shooting out of the window at the last second and I'm like YES!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was wondering where this thread was.

Anyway, got this a while back and cleared it just recently. I agree with most of what's been said already. The story badly needed an editor and a lot of the acting was just wrong. However, individual scenes worked really well and overall it was a hell of a ride. I confess to skepticism early on, as the QTE stuff sounded like gimmicky nonsense, but in practice it went a long way towards selling the action for me. If I screwed up on something, it usually didn't feel cheap; that's just what happens when otherwise ordinary people try to reenact movie stunts.

Others have mentioned the plot holes and red herrings, so I'll skip those for now, and I suppose it's to the game's credit that I didn't think about most of them at the time. What did throw me off as it happened was something about most of the trials, specifically
    where those memory card thingies were hidden. With the exception of the power station and maybe the gun, most could have been found if Ethan had bothered to look around a bit.

Regarding the endings, honestly I almost prefer the one where
    everyone gets to the end, Norman takes out the OK, but Ethan gets shot because Madison can't get past the police line. It's the closest Blake gets to any kind of punishment for being a psychotic asshole.

Of course, in that same broadcast they claim the OK got away... so, yeah.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tried searching to no avail, so I'll ask it here : I loaned Heavy Rain move edition from my brother, installed it, everything seems ok, I start the game up and it says something about my Playstation Eye not being on and prompts me to press x when it is on. I don't have a PS Eye, but it won't let me press x, then I shut the PS3 off it goes '' beeb beeb beeb'' and won't even turn off, the screen just goes black and the green light on my 160gb Slim model stays on. Sigh, so I had to unplug the whole damn thing, which I'm sure causes bad, bad things to my PS3. Also deleted the game install files and installed again, same shit happens, anyone know what to do ?

Jurgen_ on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jurgen_ wrote: »
    Tried searching to no avail, so I'll ask it here : I loaned Heavy Rain move edition from my brother, installed it, everything seems ok, I start the game up and it says something about my Playstation Eye not being on and prompts me to press x when it is on. I don't have a PS Eye, but it won't let me press x, then I shut the PS3 off it goes '' beeb beeb beeb'' and won't even turn off, the screen just goes black and the green light on my 160gb Slim model stays on. Sigh, so I had to unplug the whole damn thing, which I'm sure causes bad, bad things to my PS3. Also deleted the game install files and installed again, same shit happens, anyone know what to do ?

I assume that you tried to start a new game with it set for move controls. When you get to the main menu when you start the hame there should be an option for 'Switch to Wireless Controller'(lower right on the menu screen). Click on that, and it should be forced to use the normal controller. Apparently the game defaults to using the Move(didn't know, since I finished it before Move came out, and the last time I had tried it was to test it with Move).

Interpreter on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Jurgen_ wrote: »

Does the Move edition give you the option to play without Move? Because you need a PlayStation Eye to use Move.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Hmm, I don't get to any menus, it only shows me the screens about the handling of Move, or something. But I'll try to do something about it in a minute. My brother played it through without Move and didn't get anything like this, that's why it puzzles me. Thanks for the answers anyway and I'll post again later if I don't get it working. :D

Edit: Nope, I get to choose nothing, just tells me that PS Eye is not on and prompts me to press x when it is. This sucks.

Jurgen_ on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Hang on, I'll boot it, switch to Move edition, and give you a step-by-step.

From the main menu, the one with the three saves and the origami, hit Start. Do not load a save file - although this screen won't appear if you only have one save. You should then have an origami figure with various options around the figure. In the bottom-right is Switch to Wireless Controller. Navigate to this by pressing Down on the D-Pad or analogue stick and hit X. You're done.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I can get to any menus, this is as far as I get :
    100720111104.jpg
    Tried deleting the installation again today, didn't help at all. My brother said that the game asked him if he wanted to play with move or a regular controller. Doesn't ask me anything, just installs the game and starts it up, then I get this message.

Jurgen_ on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Can you video the process from XMB? Are you connected to PSN and fully updated?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I can, but it'll take a few weeks as I'm off to the army tomorrow. I'll post a video when I get home for the first weekend vacation. I am connected to the PSN and have the latest update.

Jurgen_ on
    steam_sig.png