As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ventrilo and Bad Company 2 don't get along [UPDATE]

HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq.Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
And my internet gets assfucked as a result. Every time I boot up BC2 in conjunction with Vent, my internet connect shits itself and dies for a few seconds. It doesn't do this with any other program. Anyone have any ideas?

Hacksaw on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Is it just with both Vent and BC2 running? At what particular point does it b0rk?

Echo on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Whenever it feels like it. Could be when the map is loading, or it could be five minutes into the round. Either way, it'll shit its pants eventually. Always does.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bump?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    um... sounds kind of fishy. Neither Bad Company 2 nor Ventrilo are so bandwidth-intensive that they would destroy an average broadband internet connection. How fast is your connection up/down?

Locust76 on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are they..using some of the same ports and conflicting?

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I get 1mb down, 100kb up. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G v5 wireless router and a Netgear W111Gv2 wireless receiver. I'm about 80 ft. from the router itself (through 3 or so walls) and my internet connection will sometimes drop for anywhere from 10-30 seconds at a time at unpredictable intervals.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    SideshowxelaSideshowxela Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had this same problem years ago when playing Counter-Strike. If my brother was using up bandwidth while I was playing, anytime I'd push to talk, we'd start lagging like crazy. It took us a while to catch on, but what was happening was our poor broadband couldn't handle even that much more upload. If you do happen to be lagging whenever you push to talk, then consider switching to a ventrilo with a lower quality codec.

Sideshowxela on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm not talking about lag, I'm talking about a full-on internet disconnect. As in, my internet cuts the fuck out. I've never had this happen with any other program, even back when I used to play WoW and used Vent for raiding.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    SideshowxelaSideshowxela Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not sure what the difference is between durations of extreme lag and Internet seeming to cut out. Did you try experimenting with Bad Company and push to talk, and can confirm that PTT is not the issue? 100kb up isn't a lot of bandwidth, so I wouldn't be surprised. Or is it that just by having both programs running, not even online, your computer can no longer detect connection to the Internet?

Sideshowxela on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    PTT isn't the issue if I use BC2's in-game voice client. Vent and BC2 crash my internet if used in conjunction, though. Apart they're fine. Could take a minute, could take 10. Doesn't matter. Eventually it cuts out and I'm left screaming at my computer and cursing my internet.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Long shot: go into your router settings and change your MTU to 1364.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This sounds like it could be a connection tracking issue on your router. Theory: BC2 opens a bunch of connections to all the peers in the current game. Ventrilo opens connections to all users in the same Vent channel. At some point your router runs into an issue that causes it to stop adding connections to its NAT tracking table, which looks an awful a lot like "no internet" from the client perspective.

For the record, the WRT54G v5 was not a great router. It was the first WRT54G model after LinkSys switched from embedded Linux to embedded VxWorks, and it had a lot of issues. Apparently it would crap itself if clients behind the router try to open many connections in rapid succession. Bear in mind that a single torrent client will regularly open hundreds of connections, and Vent and BC2 could be opening dozens to 100+ each, depending on how they're implemented.

I'd try a different router if you have one available. I'd also try bypassing the wireless receiver temporarily, to rule that out as a possible cause. If the problem occurs when you're connected to a wired port on the WRT54G, the problem is almost certainly your router or your internet connection.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I figured it was the router.

And changing the MTU did no good. Such is life, I suppose.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So I went out and bought one of these today. Long story short, my current wireless receiver, one of these, now won't let me connect to the device, period. Not for any reason. Everyone else in my house can connect to the router but me, even the person running a creaky old Windows XP desktop with an even creakier wireless receiver.

I'm about ready to put my head through a brick wall and call it quits on everything. Please help.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    NGL_BrSHNGL_BrSH Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    Any solution yet.. my friend has teh exact same problem with the exact same linksys router.. did you try opening the ventrilo ports manually as well as the bc2 ports?

NGL_BrSH on
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I stumbled on this article and found it super interesting. I don't think it mentions anything about Vent but it made some of the network jargon a little easier to understand.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dxfchh5_7g5nh5qdp

vonPoonBurGer: That sounds really plausible. I think something just like that or similar was happening to me, well, IS happening to me. I ended up ordering a new router, hopefully it'll fix the problem. ^^

symbolsor on