As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    He drives off into the sunset. Its a western after all.

You know him dieing and riding off into the sunset don't need to be mutually exclusive.

True, but I still get the feeling that'll be the ending. A climax of sorts and then him still as a marshal driving into the sunset on his way to a new post or something else.

I probably used up all my "successfully predict the exact ending" credits after guessing how Battlestar Galactica was going to end by the third repetition of the phrase "all of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again," but I can't see the show ending happily for Raylan. Even if he had the chance to get out of Harlan, he wouldn't survive as a law enforcement officer. One of the overaching sources of conflict in this show is the juxtaposition between the Wild West attitude of isolated Harlan County's native sons and daughters as well as the heavily-regulated, by-the-book mentality of the Federal Government beyond its borders (as represented by the various Assistant U.S. Attorneys who show up everytime Raylan guns someone else down). Someone like him can't exist in a place with three competing local news broadcasts and its own chapter of the ACLU. When that by-the-book, law-and-order presence becomes too immediate, Raylan can't be who he is anymore.

That's precisely why he was sent back to Harlan from Miami in season 1, and why he was constrained by all the Federal scrutiny in season 2.

My guess? Raylan kills Boyd in cold blood and won't get off the hook for it this time. He's hunted down by the Marshals, but rather than go to jail, he suicides by cop.

I think you're onto something except for that very last part, which I can't really see.

But now I'm interested in the idea of a season of Raylan in prison, which honestly sounds like an awful idea and totally out of character for him, but it's nifty to think about.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    I think you're onto something except for that very last part, which I can't really see.

I know I'm stretching, but I also can't think of a satisfying ending for Raylan as a tragic hero that doesn't end similar to that. If he's killed by Boyd or some other villain, that's not satisfying; he just plain lost, and it might as well have been yesterday or tomorrow or someone else. The tragic hero deserves a tragic ending, and there's no ending more tragic for a lawman than to be hunted down and killed by the organization to which you'd devoted your life.

• Options
    You're right. If he gets killed by someone, he just loses, and that sucks.

Maybe someone gives him a Gary.

I can see that working, and about nothing else.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I know a couple people who found it hard to turn off their suspension of disbelief in the first season. Said something the lines of more people dead in the first two eps than the entire run of the shield. Don't know, haven't watched the shield, but their missing out.

• Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    mcdermott wrote:
    I'm guessing it'll be Boyd vs. Raylan, until McDonough threatens Harlan somehow, then they join forces. I mean, I love this show and all but that's a formula that's hard to resist, and I think they'll play right into it.

My guess is season 3 will be McDonnough's character vs Williams character vs Dickie Bennett vs Boyd Crowder for control of Harlan (I am guessing Dickie does not last long in that battle). It will be a bunch of crime lords trying to fill the vacuum caused by first the Crowders and then the Bennets imploding, rather than one head bad guy.
    Carpy wrote:
    I know a couple people who found it hard to turn off their suspension of disbelief in the first season. Said something the lines of more people dead in the first two eps than the entire run of the shield.

But the thing is they play it straight. Raylan has killed a crapload of people, but that has caused him all kinds of headaches and made him a pariah in the marshalls office.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Plus, what do they want? REALISTIC depictions of his job?!??! Madness! Boring Madness!

• Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    I think I found Raylan dealing with the paper work of his shootings (or trying to avoid that paper work) as entertaining as the shootings themselves.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Oh shit I missed the last episode

Thought it stopped at Ep 12, which honestly would have been a pretty decent season finale

Gotta try to hunt that down before the new season starts tonight

• Options
    edited January 2012
    My guess is season 3 will be McDonnough's character vs Williams character vs Dickie Bennett vs Boyd Crowder for control of Harlan (I am guessing Dickie does not last long in that battle).

In real life he wouldn't last long anywhere. He's a skinny-hipped slew-footed washed-up pot dealer who no longer has his mommy or either of his bigger, stronger brothers to watch his back. And his name's Dickie.

Like, if I were going to go on Monster.com and post a vacancy for "Prison Gang Rape Victim," I'd list all of that as the qualifications for the ideal candidate.

Must be willing to work unusual hours. Sense of humor a must.

SammyF on
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hooray, it's back! Solid episode.
    Raylan outsmarts creepy icepick man, makes him look totally fucking stupid, and then kills him. Sorry about the tablecloth.

fshavlak on
  • Options
    I personally liked the episode a lot, and I'm excited to see Wynn Duffy in a much bigger role even if his eccentric intensity has been toned down a little to match the part. However, I think this really failed as a season premiere. It spent so much time dealing with aftermaths and loose ends from prior events that it felt much more like one of the later episodes from either of the previous seasons. I look to a season premiere to clean the decks a little and set a strong new direction for the year; it has to be rewarding for dedicated viewers while still welcoming to new viewers who may be interested in jumping on board. This episode was so much more about the transitions and power shifts, it felt like the show never stopped.

It was probably the most serialized episode of the entire show so far. As Season 2, episode 14 it was fantastic, but as Season 3 episode 1 it failed to provide an in for new viewers and the focus on housekeeping from season 2 meant the pacing was very quick without establishing a new status quo.

Maybe I'm complaining about nothing here, but I was trying to show it to a friend of mine who didn't like what he saw of early season 1 and doesn't have the time or patience to watch all of season 2 with me. It's just such a stark contrast because season 2's premiere did such a great job in re-establishing the show for new and old viewers alike while still picking up all the threads from seconds after the end of season 1.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

But the thing is they play it straight. Raylan has killed a crapload of people, but that has caused him all kinds of headaches and made him a pariah in the marshalls office.

Raylan gets grief in the Marshall's office but I never got that he was a pariah there. He seems pretty friendly with all the marshall's. IIRC even the D.A. trying to prosecute him liked him.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    fshavlak wrote:
    Hooray, it's back! Solid episode.
    Raylan outsmarts creepy icepick man, makes him look totally fucking stupid, and then kills him. Sorry about the tablecloth.

He didn't kill him. Otherwise, yeah, good scene. Now he'll get sued by the guy probably...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't think you can sue someone you attempted to murder with a witness, on top of being a recent double murderer and he fled custody. And it wasn't a traditional kill shot, but Raylan hit him in a place that without immediate medical you are pretty f'd. I'm guessing the shot was a symptom of what we'd seen earlier that he's still not on target.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Nah, I think he meant to hit him there. The guy was only like 2 feet away, stationary and was sitting down. The concession to Raylan's condition was how he got the gun/beat the guy to the draw. He wasn't quick, he was smart.

And yeah, he could be dead now, but if it was meant to be a kill shot it would have been made much more obvious. No grunt of pain from the shootee, for instance. And getting sued would just fit in with shit raining down on him for shooting people.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited January 2012

Raylan gets grief in the Marshall's office but I never got that he was a pariah there. He seems pretty friendly with all the marshall's. IIRC even the D.A. trying to prosecute him liked him.

By the end of last season everybody in the marshall's office was sick of Raylan. Art in particular made it clear that Raylan is going to get himself killed and Art won't be sorry to see him go. Tim also was pretty sick of Raylan in the episode where Raylan got rid of Gary.
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    It was probably the most serialized episode of the entire show so far. As Season 2, episode 14 it was fantastic, but as Season 3 episode 1 it failed to provide an in for new viewers and the focus on housekeeping from season 2 meant the pacing was very quick without establishing a new status quo.

I thought this episode was great and the show is doing well enough in the ratings that I would rather have a great episode then a mediocre episode that is about holding the hands of new viewers.

I love that this show has really built a rogues gallery of villains. Just in this episode we had Boyd, Arlo, Dickie, Dewey, Arnett, Wynn Duffy, Devil and this new guy (who the script calls "carpetbagger"). I also laughed out loud at the end when it revealed why Boyd had got himself arrested.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    I don't think a serialized show (especially one that's 3 seasons in and has several ongoing characters and storylines to tend to) is under any obligation to provide an in for new viewers or "clean the decks", especially if it's going to negatively effect the ongoing story the show is trying to tell (which I think would have happened here had Justified gone that route). I thougth this episode did a pretty good job of introducing who the main season-long threat was going to be, and Raylan and the hitman's faceoff did establish who Raylan is and how he acts.

A show like Breaking Bad usually starts its seasons right where the last season ended. I'm sure that someone coming into S4 without seeing previous seasons would have been confused as hell, but the show is better for being an ongoing story and not having to reintroduce characters and story in case someone doesn't get it.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    By the end of last season everybody in the marshall's office was sick of Raylan. Art in particular made it clear that Raylan is going to get himself killed and Art won't be sorry to see him go. Tim also was pretty sick of Raylan in the episode where Raylan got rid of Gary.

Which didn't last long since in the season premiere everyone seemed to get back to normal again. Had Raylan been a real pariah that would have still been in effect, at least. Tim and Art were disappointed, I don't think they ever loathed or had contempt for Raylan at his worst.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I don't think a serialized show (especially one that's 3 seasons in and has several ongoing characters and storylines to tend to) is under any obligation to provide an in for new viewers or "clean the decks", especially if it's going to negatively effect the ongoing story the show is trying to tell (which I think would have happened here had Justified gone that route). I thougth this episode did a pretty good job of introducing who the main season-long threat was going to be, and Raylan and the hitman's faceoff did establish who Raylan is and how he acts.

A show like Breaking Bad usually starts its seasons right where the last season ended. I'm sure that someone coming into S4 without seeing previous seasons would have been confused as hell, but the show is better for being an ongoing story and not having to reintroduce characters and story in case someone doesn't get it.

I agree a show isn't under any automatic moral obligation to do that, but at the same time, FX in particular wants to attract new viewers. The show's ratings were okay last year, enough so to give FX a good reason to keep it around for another season, but it's tough to have a great show with okay ratings. And while they overperformed FX's primetime viewership, it no longer has Terriers and Lights Out dragging down that average, so they might be on the bubble this season.

Which didn't last long since in the season premiere everyone seemed to get back to normal again. Had Raylan been a real pariah that would have still been in effect, at least. Tim and Art were disappointed, I don't think they ever loathed or had contempt for Raylan at his worst.

I got a strong vibe of contempt from Art last season over the money thing, and Tim all but outright accused Raylan of murdering Winona's second husband.

I can understand forgetting those issues, though; the temperature sure got turned down on all of that in the season premier -- other than Tim making that one crack about how he wanted Raylan's help with Wynn Duffy on account of how he thought they'd collaborated to murder Gary, hardly any of that came up.

So the gunfight scene was awesome! But my favorite scene was
    Ava making lunch for Arlo and Devil while she stalls off telling them that Boyd insisted that they burn the stolen marijuana. Devil keeps giving her lip, and finally she hauls off and hits him upside the head with a cast iron skillet.

I had this impression like Arlo was thinking the whole time, "Shut up, Devil, SHUT UP. Never argue with this lady while you're eating her foot -- don't you remember what happened to her husband?" But I might have been projecting.

Like Boyd once said, "Goddamnit, woman, you only ever shoot people while they's eatin' supper."

SammyF on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I liked that both Raylan and Fletcher were ready to go on 2, whereas the watchmaker honourably waited for 1 and died for it.

Also, I want the track that plays at the end when Boyd's transferred.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    You know a show is good when it makes you want more of frigging Quinn and not for him to die along with the rest of Miami Metro PD.

Amazing what a half decent writer can do for an actor.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Seeing Carla Gugino in the coming attractions made me very happy. Hopefully this means we’ll get to see some Karen Sisco in an episode this season.

• Options

He was joking about it this episode, when he asked Raylan to come with him to talk to Duffy.

"You and him have that thing."
    "What thing?"
    "You know, how you murdered Gary together."

• Options
    edited January 2012
    SammyF wrote:

I got a strong vibe of contempt from Art last season over the money thing, and Tim all but outright accused Raylan of murdering Winona's second husband.

I got the former, forgot the latter.
    I can understand forgetting those issues, though; the temperature sure got turned down on all of that in the season premier -- other than Tim making that one crack about how he wanted Raylan's help with Wynn Duffy on account of how he thought they'd collaborated to murder Gary, hardly any of that came up.

So the gunfight scene was awesome! But my favorite scene was
    Ava making lunch for Arlo and Devil while she stalls off telling them that Boyd insisted that they burn the stolen marijuana. Devil keeps giving her lip, and finally she hauls off and hits him upside the head with a cast iron skillet.

I had this impression like Arlo was thinking the whole time, "Shut up, Devil, SHUT UP. Never argue with this lady while you're eating her foot -- don't you remember what happened to her husband?" But I might have been projecting.

Like Boyd once said, "Goddamnit, woman, you only ever shoot people while they's eatin' supper."

My favorite part was
    Neal McDonough's character coldly murdering that business guy, forgot his name, then his secretary coldly and acting like it's not big thing. That guy is going to be a major bad =ass this season.

He won me over in every scene.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Is this online anywhere? Hulu doesn't have it and it's not on FX.com yet? Any other legal video sites carrying it?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Maximum wrote:
    Seeing Carla Gugino in the coming attractions made me very happy. Hopefully this means we’ll get to see some Karen Sisco in an episode this season.

Agreed. It's always good for a show to have Carla in the cast.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Is this online anywhere? Hulu doesn't have it and it's not on FX.com yet? Any other legal video sites carrying it?

Last year I think it was on Hulu with a 2 week delay.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Last year I think it was on Hulu with a 2 week delay.

Hulu says there's a 1 month delay now.

It might go up on FX's website after a week? Maybe?

Edit: I don't know why they do this. If you're watching the show during the season enough to care when you miss episodes, it means you're an existing fan. If they can get the ads right, then why should it matter where or when you specifically watch it as long as it's in that same general "season" period? If they pull them after the season ends, then the people who missed out get to wait as a new audience for the DVDs.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    HadjiQuest wrote:

Edit: I don't know why they do this. If you're watching the show during the season enough to care when you miss episodes, it means you're an existing fan. If they can get the ads right, then why should it matter where or when you specifically watch it as long as it's in that same general "season" period? If they pull them after the season ends, then the people who missed out get to wait as a new audience for the DVDs.

It could be an incentive for viewers to watch episodes when they're on tv the first time.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    HadjiQuest wrote:

It could be an incentive for viewers to watch episodes when they're on tv the first time.

It's exactly that. They set prices for their ad space based on live viewers. So their outdated pricing method combined with the entire outdated TV system as a whole screws the viewers over.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Xeddicus wrote:
    It's exactly that. They set prices for their ad space based on live viewers. So their outdated pricing method combined with the entire outdated TV system as a whole screws the viewers over.

Tv has been broken for a while now. Especially the ratings system.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote:
    You know a show is good when it makes you want more of frigging Quinn and not for him to die along with the rest of Miami Metro PD.

Amazing what a half decent writer can do for an actor.

Okay, so that was him? I even checked IMDB, and it's not listed under him (yet). It sure looked like him, and sounded like him, but without the hate I couldn't be sure.

Great episode, I think. Not the best, mind you, but to me at least it did a halfway decent job moving us into the new season. And man, Neal McDonough was an even colder sonofabitch than usual...and that's sayin' something.

Also, I feel like this season got things started off right, if you know what I mean.
    BLAM!

"Sorry about your tablecloth."

• Options
    Limehouse: Pretty fucking terrifying.

Also, loved that Karen... Goodall turned out to actually be Karen Sisco (she got married... then divorced... in order to dodge around the copyright issues of the name). I hope she finds a way to show up pretty often.

Good, slow paced procedural episode tonight. Can't wait till next week for the return of Wynn Duffy.

• Options
    There's a side of Art we haven't seen before. To be fair, though, Guarnere was being a total scumbag.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I just started rewatching BoB and was delighted by his appearance.

• Options
    I loved Art's explanation of how things were going to go. Couple in the wall, couple in your face. BLAM. Talk.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Limehouse totally stole that from Fight Club.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I love when Art beats the hell out of people. Something about it just amuses me.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    I was somewhat tense through that whole scene.
    I thought something bad would happen to Art.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Teriferin wrote:
    I was somewhat tense through that whole scene.
    I thought something bad would happen to Art.
    Yeah, the way Guarnere kept looking out the window I assumed there would be some goons bursting in.

This discussion has been closed.