As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Perfect Dark - TODAY

• Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does sound like fun

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    there was a game called joust which i read about for Halo 1. To do it you'd be holding 2 controllers controlling 2 players in a warthog, one would be in the drivers seat the other in the passenger with a rocket launcher. With modified control setting you could control both with one hand. You'd then go at each other in your rocket warthogs.

I never managed to try it with my friends cause they're pussies.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Larlar wrote: »
    -smash wrote: »
    me and my brother built this barrier for our tv to stop us from screen watching out of tape and cardboard

We used to play hide and seek in Goldeneye.

The person who was "it" would leave the room. The other three players would find hiding places around the map, then zoom the TV in on the fourth player's quarter of the screen and call them back in. If the person who was it found you, you had to try to fend them off, controlling entirely from their view.

For some reason it never occurred to us to just mine the shit out of the room they spawned in. Huh.

That sounds like a lot of fun.

Like this game I made up for Halo. You go to a flat, open area (beach preferred), everyone gets into a Warthog, and you drive into each other, trying to roll the vehicles over so the other guy falls out. If you can run him over before he gets back into his Warthog, you get a point.

I used to do this all the time! But my friends were jerks and always ended up shooting me

Dadouw on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Me and my friends used to play tag with slappers only

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    dual throwin' knives

what's up

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Larlar wrote: »
    -smash wrote: »
    me and my brother built this barrier for our tv to stop us from screen watching out of tape and cardboard

We used to play hide and seek in Goldeneye.

The person who was "it" would leave the room. The other three players would find hiding places around the map, then zoom the TV in on the fourth player's quarter of the screen and call them back in. If the person who was it found you, you had to try to fend them off, controlling entirely from their view.

For some reason it never occurred to us to just mine the shit out of the room they spawned in. Huh.

That sounds like a lot of fun.

Like this game I made up for Halo. You go to a flat, open area (beach preferred), everyone gets into a Warthog, and you drive into each other, trying to roll the vehicles over so the other guy falls out. If you can run him over before he gets back into his Warthog, you get a point.

this is the best way to play halo

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    who ever played as jaws

with he head clipping through the goddamn ceiling in archives all the damn time

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    also, everyone keeps saying they do chop only

but chop only, turbo and DK mode is the only way to go

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I played countless hours of Golden Eye but I had no friends so I'd just kill motionless people in multiplayer for awhile.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Umaro wrote: »
    I played countless hours of Golden Eye but I had no friends so I'd just kill motionless people in multiplayer for awhile.

lie_bot.gif

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    i played a lot of multiplayer by myself but i had a couple friends to play with on occasion and canuck

I was like 9, god damn

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

this is sad

your life is sad

also turbo mode must always be on - FACT

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why didn't you play the singleplayer?

Blake T on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was on the fence about this, thinking I'd get to it sometime, and then I found out about the Goldeneye stuff they were including with it and my boner hit at warp 10.

Basically what I'm saying is, I'm buying this.

Peen on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Goldeneye versus Perfect Dark is one of those examples where one thing should obviously be better than another but the other thing just has too much swagger.

It's Goldeneye. Goldeneye has the swagger.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rare

the traitors of my youth

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That X-Ray sniper rifle was downright nasty in the wrong hands

Back in the split-screen days, the only way to counter it was to screenwatch when you saw someone's view go funky-colored and, if it was your head in the crosshairs, punch that asshole in the arm.

Those were the days.

Yesssssssss

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Goldeneye versus Perfect Dark is one of those examples where one thing should obviously be better than another but the other thing just has too much swagger.

Or you just like Goldeneye more. Because I know Perfect Dark wasn't lacking in awesomesauce.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Perfect Dark had awesome swagger. Just.. female swagger. Hot.. female.. swagger.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    look N64 graphics were not at the point where anything could be hot. And this is not hindsight talking.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You can toggle swagger in both; it's a menu option.

Ever since this game was released I've wanted to see it operate on something that could actually handle everything it wanted to do. The N64 version came across like a hazy dream about an amazing game. Exponentially so with each additional player.

Native 1080p at 60fps and I'm in.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was on the fence about this, thinking I'd get to it sometime, and then I found out about the Goldeneye stuff they were including with it and my boner hit at warp 10.

Basically what I'm saying is, I'm buying this.

What goldeneye stuff?

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They're including Goldeneye maps and a set of Goldeneye guns for the multiplayer. They just confirmed that at DICE.

Link to the Kotaku story.

Peen on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yeah, including golden eye stuff in this is a fantastic idea

nobody walks away unhappy

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The thing about Perfect Dark is that it improved on everything that Goldeneye had.

Except for one thing.

Goldeneye's level design was just superior and because of it, it's single player was head and shoulders above Perfect Dark's.

I could play any of Goldeneye's missions again and again, with Perfect Dark I would only play a handful, because the rest really weren't that good.

Even with the multiplayer the three maps we played the most in perfect dark was Complex, Temple and Felicity.

Blake T on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    facility/felicity is pretty much one of the best maps ever in a game period

Pony on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Blaket wrote: »

The thing about Perfect Dark is that it improved on everything that Goldeneye had.

Except for one thing.

Goldeneye's level design was just superior and because of it, it's single player was head and shoulders above Perfect Dark's.

I could play any of Goldeneye's missions again and again, with Perfect Dark I would only play a handful, because the rest really weren't that good.

Even with the multiplayer the three maps we played the most in perfect dark was Complex, Temple and Felicity.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/XanderMarkham/20100306/4601/Nobody_Does_It_Better_Why_GoldenEye__Perfect_Dark_can_still_teach_us_a_thing_or_two_about_game_design.php
    Where GoldenEye was a design phenomenon but something of a mixed bag from a technical front (the game is not short of bugs, the fogging is thick and sometimes detrimental on the bigger levels, and the graphics, despite my affection for them as somewhat reminiscent of the chunky Soviet propaganda artwork style, are decidedly average), the game's 'spiritual successor' Perfect Dark proved to be just the opposite: a technical marvel, albeit a schizophrenic one which was not always successful in moulding its vast ambitions together.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i have seen people do conversions of facility/felicity for things like counterstrike and other multiplayer shooters

there's a reason that map has staying power, and it's not just nostalgia

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Except for one thing.

nostalgia goggles? I will admit that Facility is the best..

The one thing I've noticed that is different between the two is Goldeneye's levels were built up modeling the movie, and then the mission objectives were added in afterward. Perfect Dark's levels were designed around the mission objectives.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well the map has everything really.

Two areas for long corridor battles.

Annoying sniper spot.

Multiple small room to small room battles.

Large areas for explosive battles.

It's such a varied map with a little of everything.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you guys should read that article

it's real good

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Goldeneye levels" really just means Temple, Complex, and Facility.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    but uhhh

the goldeneye stuff was already in the original perfect dark

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fuzz wrote: »

Except for one thing.

The one thing I've noticed that is different between the two is Goldeneye's levels were built up modeling the movie, and then the mission objectives were added in afterward. Perfect Dark's levels were designed around the mission objectives.

Sorry dude, in PD I played Villa a bit, the first mission and the infiltration mission the most and Area 51 a bit.

Goldeneye off the top of my head I can list the first mission (dam) Second mission (facility), Silo (oh god that was great), Siberian Infiltration Sniping level, both Siberian bunker level, the boat! save the hostages!, and Caverns and distinctly fun levels.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, so it's not really news.

If they said something about how those three maps could have had an issue being ported for whatever reason, then that would have been news.. but they didn't do that..

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fuzz wrote: »

Except for one thing.

Sorry dude, in PD I played Villa a bit, the first mission and the infiltration mission the most and Area 51 a bit.

Goldeneye off the top of my head I can list the first mission (dam) Second mission (facility), Silo (oh god that was great), Siberian Infiltration Sniping level, both Siberian bunker level, the boat! save the hostages!, and Caverns and distinctly fun levels.

but, that's just your opinion, man.

Not to sound like a dick, I'll add that I enjoy both games' single player pretty equally. Multiplayer-wise, I admit I enjoy Goldeneye's levels more.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    but uhhh

Maybe you should have read the article that was posted.
    Lobb also confirmed to Kotaku that the upcoming Perfect Dark port will feature GoldenEye levels in the multiplayer.

Facility, Temple and Complex, the GoldenEye levels that were in the original Perfect Dark have made the jump to the XBLA version as well.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Saying this Perfect Dark was technically better the AI was better and graphics were better and by god the frame rate was miles better (saying that if we looked at the frame rate now it ran like arse)

In terms of multiplayer I think there was only three maps other than the GE maps that we regularly played, that was the Villa map, the one which had the matrix like lobby and another one which I can only describe as mostly yellow and with a few bits where pit deaths were possible.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Except for one thing.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/XanderMarkham/20100306/4601/Nobody_Does_It_Better_Why_GoldenEye__Perfect_Dark_can_still_teach_us_a_thing_or_two_about_game_design.php
    Where GoldenEye was a design phenomenon but something of a mixed bag from a technical front (the game is not short of bugs, the fogging is thick and sometimes detrimental on the bigger levels, and the graphics, despite my affection for them as somewhat reminiscent of the chunky Soviet propaganda artwork style, are decidedly average), the game's 'spiritual successor' Perfect Dark proved to be just the opposite: a technical marvel, albeit a schizophrenic one which was not always successful in moulding its vast ambitions together.

All so true. Plus goldeneye had amazing music that I can still remember multiple tunes from. That is quite an achievement.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    but uhhh

Maybe you should have read the article that was posted.
    Lobb also confirmed to Kotaku that the upcoming Perfect Dark port will feature GoldenEye levels in the multiplayer.

Facility, Temple and Complex, the GoldenEye levels that were in the original Perfect Dark have made the jump to the XBLA version as well.

It looks like that second line is the line they were given. So.. they say.. "Lobb confirmed.. this is his confirmation.. Along with the perfect dark multiplayer levels, these three maps that were in the original have made the jump as well as the rest of perfect dark's levels."

Fuzz on