As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] - Where strange fantasy jargon and Leona Lewis collide.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, some of these hunts have convinced me that Hope - however much I hate him - just has to stay for the party dynamic to work. Tis a shame.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    I also can't stand Hope. His never ending whining drives me insane.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Well, some of these hunts have convinced me that Hope - however much I hate him - just has to stay for the party dynamic to work. Tis a shame.

Just curious since you're constantly complaining about how fragile Hope is - have you actually done things people have suggested in this thread (+HP, -%damage accessories) to improve his survivability? People have made it sound like it's less of an issue if you specifically plan for it.

Er..he whines for less than half the game. As far as I can tell.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010

Good thing his never-ending-whining ends well before the first half of the game is over.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Just curious since you're constantly complaining about how fragile Hope is - have you actually done things people have suggested in this thread (+HP, -%damage accessories) to improve his survivability? People have made it sound like it's less of an issue if you specifically plan for it.

You can fix his survivability, making him par with everyone else but to be honest I always feel like it means he's behind as I can't give him stuff that boosts his attack to ridiculous levels. Also, even with an upgraded diamond bangle he's still got shitty HP and so you need two slots just to make him not fall over instantly. Other characters those two slots can go towards killing things much faster or other items - making them in my view better choices.

I also really find the insane healing I can get out of Vanille really appealing as well. It's just I will be 100 years old by the time I get enough grinding done to make her not suck horribly as a Synergist.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010

Good thing his never-ending-whining ends well before the first half of the game is over.

This is good news. I had a feeling it would.

EDIT: Some of us have babies and wives and mother-in-laws in town and haven't had a chance to put as much time as they would like to into this game.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Did anyone else think the beginning of chapter 12 was hilarious?
    Here, have 26000 CP for your first fight over in about 10 seconds lol.

Edit: Also best cutscene in the game by far.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

This is good news. I had a feeling it would.

EDIT: Some of us have babies and wives and mother-in-laws in town and haven't had a chance to put as much time as they would like to into this game.

Which is fine, but complaining about a character based on what you have to is less than half the game seems pretty silly in a character-driven game. You said it yourself, you expected it to end eventually but still phrased it as "never-ending." The kid spends roughly 10 hours being upset about something that he had every right to be upset about. Out of a 40-60 hour game. Cut him some slack.

It's like somebody coming into this thread and complaining that combat sucks because your only options are attack and blitz.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hope actually loses all the teenage emo crap pretty early on. I just don't like him because he likes dying a lot. Albeit I've almost solved that problem now.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm sorry. I will rephrase my post.

"At the point in the game that I have reached, the constant whining that the character Hope does is getting on my nerves. I am in no way implying that he will continue whining throughout the length of the game, but currently his whining is "never-ending" to me since I have not reached the point in the game where it ends."

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    People were talking about gambits a couple pages ago. I have no need for gambits but I really wish you could turn off certain abilities like in Tales games. Sometimes I want Hope to only cast some very specific buffs so I have to control him myself.

Also, I don't get the constant complaining about Hope being fragile. I gave him a big HP accessory and he doesn't seem to die any more often than anyone else. Granted, I barely use sentinel and play extremely aggressively and most "deaths" involve my entire party exploding at once.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    Proven MortalProven Mortal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I dont know whats with all the "Hope is bad because he has a bit less hp than average" is really, I need one accessory slot to make up for that (yes I do use the -20% all damage one on him too, but all my characters need that for higher level Ci'eth stuff)

One hp bangle can be maxed to 3000 HP+ thus negating that minor tradeoff for his extensive magic collection, such as protect, shell, bravery, faith and haste to name a few.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have a -20% damage on Fang, but Light hasn't needed one thus far. Mostly because Fang absorbs 99% of attacks and is practically invulnerable at this point. My only real debate at the moment is who has to carry the collectors cats....

Aegeri on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hrmm - the guide lists the most effcient way to level items with all the shops unlocked, but whats decent in early chapter 11 that you can buy? So far the best seems to be the Turbojet for about 4 gil per xp, but still checking the data tables.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have a -20% damage on Fang, but Light hasn't needed one thus far. Mostly because Fang absorbs 99% of attacks and is practically invulnerable at this point. My only real debate at the moment is who has to carry the collectors cats....

I split the passive ones evenly, one per character (to not gimp a single character) Collector, Connoisseur and hopefully Grow Egg soon.
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Hrmm - the guide lists the most effcient way to level items with all the shops unlocked, but whats decent in early chapter 11 that you can buy? So far the best seems to be the Turbojet for about 4 gil per xp, but still checking the data tables.

Perfect Conductor and Superconductor. (an alternative is farming a bit bomb cores.) Also the EXP gained by item "X" is different from item "Y" normally, so turbojets might be best for one item, but not the other.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Adus wrote: »
    So far the battle theme is the only thing I like and even that isn't all that good. I kinda wish I could replace the soundtrack with Lost Odyssey's. I've had its boss theme stuck in my head for weeks.

Of course that soundtrack owns. Uematsu owns.
    And Jansen owns.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Do you get more than 3 accessory slots?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Perfect Conductor and Superconductor. (an alternative is farming a bit bomb cores.) Also the EXP gained by item "X" is different from item "Y" normally, so turbojets might be best for one item, but not the other.

Those items are available to buy yet :) Which is why I'm asking about other options.

Pretty sure you can get 4, but you might need level 10 on the upgrade grid, which only unlocks in the post game.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If I'm in chapter 9 and I've upgraded Gladius to 16 or so, would I be handicapping myself by switching gears and upgrading a different Lightning weapon?

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Those items are available to buy yet :) Which is why I'm asking about other options.

Pretty sure you can get 4, but you might need level 10 on the upgrade grid, which only unlocks in the post game.

You did mean "arent" right ? But my point is, you unlock it quite early, so you might want to wait for it (low level Ci'eth mission) but yes if you dont have that shop Turbojets and the other things that cost 840 gil is your best bet.
    If I'm in chapter 9 and I've upgraded Gladius to 16 or so, would I be handicapping myself by switching gears and upgrading a different Lightning weapon?

Not at all. (You dont really need upgraded weapons before Chapter 11, they are still nice to have though, I evolved Blazefire to Flamberge in Chapter 9.) Its also a bit easier to get money items in Chapter 9.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Personally, I would wait until early in chapter 12 and even 13 to really start to seriously upgrade. This is when you can face the biggest monsters to get lots of money easily. Upgrading stuff is really expensive and is a massive trial and error process.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Personally, I would wait until early in chapter 12 and even 13 to really start to seriously upgrade. This is when you can face the biggest monsters to get lots of money easily. Upgrading stuff is really expensive and is a massive trial and error process.

Well it's that or I just sit on the materials and gil I currently have that aren't doing anything for me.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The other reason is that it's when you'll have all the weapons, so you can make the best decision based on what weapon you want to use. There is no "ultimate" weapon, merely one that fits certain characters and groups better than others. I upgraded the gladius a lot only to discover the axis blade and I've used it ever since.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    The upgrade system is needlessly bloated. There's really no point in introducing you to it as early as chapter 4 when you have more or less zilch for resources.

I'm at chapter 11 as well and I want to run around and do everything I can before continuing the story and its like the game is telling you "Here's this giant ass field with tons of treasure spheres, huge monsters, chocobos, and a hunting side quest! But just ignore all of that for right now and continue down the story hallway, you can play with all of this later."

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Well it's that or I just sit on the materials and gil I currently have that aren't doing anything for me.

I would recommend to at least max the tier 1 weapon you use (perhaps even for the characters you intend to be using) its not that expensive really.
    The upgrade system is needlessly bloated. There's really no point in introducing you to it as early as chapter 4 when you have more or less zilch for resources.

I'm at chapter 11 as well and I want to run around and do everything I can before continuing the story and its like the game is telling you "Here's this giant ass field with tons of treasure spheres, huge monsters, chocobos, and a hunting side quest! But just ignore all of that for right now and continue down the story hallway, you can play with all of this later."

Yeah I wanted to do all the stuff here first too... Been here 15 hours so far, and not really done yet. (I do have all gear maxed up until needing Dark Matters, and 860.000 Gil though)

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I'd probably be more annoyed with it if I hadn't come to FF13 from Monster Hunter.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I continued on after a while, but man have I been enjoying chapters 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13. These make the entire game. Everything that came before it has been forgiven in my eyes.

The opening cutscene to chapter 12 is so good. I will be going back before I fight the final boss though most likely.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The opening cutscene to chapter 12 is so good.
    Hope and Lightning continued to be the most awesome people in the party for that cutscene.

"You're dead!"
    "You first."

and

"Hi there!" *SLAM*

were my favorite parts.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Late Chapter 11 spoiler.
    A boatload of cash ? Why thank you Wall-E... I mean Bhakti. (Also if you keep asking him, he'll reveal 10 hints about hidden stuff.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Late Chapter 11 spoiler.
    A boatload of cash ? Why thank you Wall-E... I mean Bhakti. (Also if you keep asking him, he'll reveal 10 hints about hidden stuff.
    Seriously.

I was thinking to myself "I hope this thing doesn't end up actually tagging along I hate stupid robot mas--"

YOU GOT THREE PLATINUM INGOTS

"...Bhakti, you're okay in my book."

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I continued on after a while, but man have I been enjoying chapters 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13. These make the entire game. Everything that came before it has been forgiven in my eyes.

The opening cutscene to chapter 12 is so good. I will be going back before I fight the final boss though most likely.

Is it better than the opening to chapter 11?

Winky on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Winky wrote: »

Yes.

Though, the Chapter 11 opening did crack me up, for entirely unintended reasons.
    Vanille: PULSE IS NOT HELL!

Vanille: No, but for real, this place sucks and you'll be lucky to walk four feet without some sort of hideous hell beast trying to viciously murder you and eat your still-warm corpse.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Ci'eth mission 54, spoilers.
    He does fucking 10.000 damage per hit, he even sometimes target the leader before you even enter the fight - Instant Death. Fuck you Gigantuar.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    When did you guys start upgrading your items? I'm at Chapter 7 or so,
    Fang just joined my party,
    and I've not felt like I need to upgrade any items. I'm just kind of spoiling for time to build up my inventory because I haven't yet met a fight where I felt like I couldn't win because I didn't have good enough equipment.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »

Yes.

Though, the Chapter 11 opening did crack me up, for entirely unintended reasons.
    Vanille: PULSE IS NOT HELL!

Vanille: No, but for real, this place sucks and you'll be lucky to walk four feet without some sort of hideous hell beast trying to viciously murder you and eat your still-warm corpse.

The gem for me from 11's opening was:
    Hope's sarcastic reply of "Oh yeah, I'm fine!" in regards to being asked how he felt about plummeting to his death.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Late Chapter 11 spoiler.
    Seriously.

I was thinking to myself "I hope this thing doesn't end up actually tagging along I hate stupid robot mas--"

I skipped that with the intention to come back; I can come back to it, right?

Rivulent on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    He does fucking 10.000 damage per hit, he even sometimes target the leader before you even enter the fight - Instant Death. Fuck you Gigantuar.

Honestly though, how can you hate anything with a cutscene that funny?

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Honestly though, how can you hate anything with a cutscene that funny?

Because I have seen it 40 times. (Ci'eth mission 34 cutscene is good too.)
    Rivulent wrote: »
    Late Chapter 11 spoiler.
    Seriously.

I skipped that with the intention to come back; I can come back to it, right?

Yes.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Have you moved on through chapter 12/13? I think he's only really beatable after you finish the game because:
    lol 10,000 damage you die lolol

Aegeri on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To the OP:

Your strat about boss 9 has one major flaw:
    you say the beam will do alot of damage to your sentinal, while its true that the sent can usually survive it, your other two idiot party members are usually standing right next to the sentinal, and unless your main character is your sentinal, chances are your going to be one shotted, and game over. When he starts the durando, change formation to a C/R/R or C/C/C (an all out attack one) then go to town. After 2-3 rounds of hits, he will fire, but at alot lower damage then he would have done if you just stood there and took it. Its like every hit reduces his damage output. as long as your attacking him while hes charging, the damage will be easy to recover from.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum