As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[JDrama] Japanese TV, Not To Be Mistaken For Anime. Ever

TyrankhTyrankh Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Social Entropy++
hanayoridango.jpg

This is where we talk about Japanese Drama in all of their glory. This is NOT where we talk about anime. In the slightest. On that note, we're also not talking about english-speaking japanese-looking american drama; this thread is for the shit that's on the TV daily in Japan but takes you hours to find in your hopelessly english-centric country.

Also, this entire thread may be an elaborate ruse at getting people to tell me about good JDrama. Maybe. Probably.

Anyways, here are some of the ones that I've enjoyed in the last month or so:

Hana Yori Dango
In this show, Makino (middle girl) is a ridiculously poor girl going to a ridiculously expensive school. At this school, there are four uber-rich dudes (the four guys flanking her) who presumedly just go to school to show off their pricey clothes and haircuts. Makino ends up declaring war on their leader, Domyoji (guy to her right, your left), and essentially shenanigans and all kinds of love plots go from there.

hanayoridangofinal.jpg

Ichi Ritoru no Namida
This TV drama is based on the story of this girl Aya who had a degenerative spine disease, and the diary that she wrote (whose publication sold over a million copies). Apart from that, the story also focusses on her friend whose brother died, and how he gets inspired by her fight against the disease. I will note that however melodramatic and generic the story might seem, it was very well acted and to be honest is the first thing in possibly six years to cause eyes leakage.

1_litre_of_tears_series1.jpg

Gokusen
This is about a green (as in new, not as in the japanese painted to be more lime-like) schoolteacher who gets given the class with the most troublemakers, and how she goes about this role. Oh, and coincidentally she's also a badass at fighting, the only heir to a yukuza family, and basically the japanese version of a gangsta. Which pretty much amounts to her having self-esteem. Not hugely entrancing, but a nice light watch.

c1233026839gokusen04.jpg

Nodame Cantabile
THIS SHIT WILL BOGGLE YOUR MIND. So get this. The story is pretty simple; guy wants to be a conductor in Europe, scared of travelling, stuck in Japan. Let's talk about the characters. Protagonist 1, Shinichi, is god's gift to man in music, but he's too good for everyone in Japan and likes to whine about it. Protagonist 2, Nodame, is excellent at piano but wants to be a kindergarten teacher, completely around the bend and entirely in love with Shinichi. When I say around the loop I mean the comical "WTF is she doing har har" around the bend, not the "..this makes me afraid for my children." She's in competition for Shinichi against a man who thinks he's a women. Your geuss who ends up winning. If this show had a drop less drama it would be a comedy, very amusing to watch.

nodame-cantabile-banner.jpg

Now talketh!

Tyrankh on

• QuethalQuethal The Infrequent OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So is this live action anime?

Quethal on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like anime. Some of it can be good times.

Anime

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    japanese guys with blonde hair freak me the fuck out

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • TyrankhTyrankh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I love anime. However, given the popularity of anime versus 'regular' jtv, I think we all know how this thread would turn out if we allowed anime discussion.

Tyrankh on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tyrankh wrote: »
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I love anime. However, given the popularity of anime versus 'regular' jtv, I think we all know how this thread would turn out.

What is the popularity of anime versus regular "jtv"

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • EfesellEfesell Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Probably the same way it'd turn out if we talk about anything from Japan!

Efesell on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow, they're drawing anime really realistically these days.

Food on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    what i want to know is what shows currently or previously on the air ever matched the criterion of
    english-speaking japanese-looking american drama

what the hell?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    One of those shows actually is an anime!

This was a poor decision on your part to include it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I haven't seen a good anime.

I haven't really searched for one either though, so there's that.

Burning Organ on
    edited March 2010
    man, i can't think of many japanese things in film i can take seriously that ain't mind numbingly twisted to some extent

it don't know if it speaks to one's prejudices against the culture exactly, but japanese drama and comedy come off objectively as universally bad

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited March 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    Tyrankh wrote: »
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I love anime. However, given the popularity of anime versus 'regular' jtv, I think we all know how this thread would turn out.

What is the popularity of anime versus regular "jtv"

In the US and generally the interwebs, for instance, the popularity difference between anime and 'regular' jtv is like the difference between the people that want to become doctors or journalists, versus the people that want to become, say, blacksmiths.

Disregarding the japanese side of the interwebs, and similarly the US.
    One of those shows actually is an anime!

This was a poor decision on your part to include it

Not sure which one you're talking about, as all of the above are non-anime. JDrama derived from manga is not entirely uncommon, though, so animes (is the plural anime or animes?) and jdramas that have the same plot exist.

Tyrankh on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    confession: i love Lovers in Paris.

I know, its korean and not japanese, but same diff, really

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited March 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    man, i can't think of many japanese things in film i can take seriously that ain't mind numbingly twisted to some extent

it don't know if it speaks to one's prejudices against the culture exactly, but japanese drama and comedy come off objectively as universally bad

I've seen jokey bits in Japanese cartoons and movies that I've thought were funny, but I've seen maybe one straight-up Japanese comedy that I thought was funny

And even then it did not start out strong

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Akira

Kurosawa

Bloods End on
    edited March 2010
    I like me some japanese samurai movies. Especially the parts where a stern looking guy furrows his brow and looks at things.

Food on
    edited March 2010
    okay, current japanese drama and comedy

Calamity Jane on
    edited March 2010
    Bloods End wrote: »

Akira

Kurosawa

Yeah this too

That motherfucker new how to direct a thing let me tell you

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited March 2010
    03-mo-yojimbo.jpg

seriously this sort of stern brow-furrowing is only matched in the west by the likes of clint eastwood.

Food on
    edited March 2010
    what i want to know is what shows currently or previously on the air ever matched the criterion of
    english-speaking japanese-looking american drama

what the hell?

I don't really watch much english TV, I was going under the assumption that somewhere along the way there'd be a tangent about this somewhat japanese show that you once saw, and it was cool, but they spoke english, so it only really half counts, but you still liked it, etc. etc.

I don't know!

Tyrankh on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Food wrote: »
    03-mo-yojimbo.jpg

seriously this sort of stern brow-furrowing is only matched in the west by the likes of clint eastwood.

Thats because they are the same fucking person.

You ever see Mifune and Eastwood in the same place at the same time? No.

Think about it.

Bloods End on
    edited March 2010
    well that's great

give mifune a blonde afro and violin

Calamity Jane on
    edited March 2010
    Food wrote: »
    I like me some japanese samurai movies. Especially the parts where a stern looking guy furrows his brow and looks at things.

I like when the stern looking guy faces down his effeminate douchey looking enemy and there's a really long lull in the action where they just stare at each other and maybe there's an ocean in the background or the wind is howling and then all of a sudden BAM a motherfucker is dead

But he doesn't realize he is dead for like twenty seconds of course

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I watched a Japanese drama on IFC...it was about a samurai Detective, who could fuck a hole in a bag of rice, I'm talking burlap sack here guys. He also would beat his meat with like a truncheon and the truncheon would be ruined after. Not to mention he also rapes female witnesses to get them to tell him what he wants to know..because you know he is good with his dick. I am serious that this is an actual show in japan from like the 70's that IFC aired it was pretty crazy.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
    edited March 2010
    don't forget that this is the same country that brought you the penis festival

(link contains large pink facsimile of a penis- nsfw?)

Food on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Severe lack of

livegtogm7.png

in the OP

Outrageous

The Otaku Suppository on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In all fairness, Food, Rome did it first.

NotASenator on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    also, I'm going to say that in many places, that picture is probably quite not safe for work.

NotASenator on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They show Gokusen here! It's in Japanese with Korean subtitles which means I have no fucking clue what's going on but it's hilarious and hypnotic.

Can we also talk about Korean dramas? Because I've also been watching Pasta with my co-teacher. It is the guiltiest of guilty pleasures. Although I personally like the History Dramas more. They are so overwrought.

Anyway seriously all of these shows are completely ridiculous, it is like... okay I'm searching for an analogy but forget it, it is exactly what you'd expect a soap opera from Asia to be.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That is one of many male fertility festivals in Japan. I went to a different one and it was something.

On a Kurosawa note, I finally watched Ikiru (To Live) recently. Holy shit was that a good movie! Basically, it's set in 1950s Japan and a bureaucrat who finds out that he has stomach cancer (a death sentence then), how he decides to spend what time he has left.

Iloveslimes on
    edited March 2010
    That is one of many male fertility festivals in Japan. I went to a different one and it was something.

On a Kurosawa note, I finally watched Ikiru (To Live) recently. Holy shit was that a good movie! Basically, it's set in 1950s Japan and a bureaucrat who finds out that he has stomach cancer (a death sentence then), how he decides to spend what time he has left.

I've been trying desperately to avoid watching that because I've heard it is the most depressing thing

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's not actually. You will probably cry at the end, but it's not a bad cry. More that he truly lived.

I put it off for too many years for that reason. Don't. It's uplifting and not depressing.

Iloveslimes on
    edited March 2010
    Severe lack of

livegtogm7.png

in the OP

Outrageous

I don't know, I could never get into it. I geuss I should give it another shot?

Tyrankh on
    edited March 2010
    They show Gokusen here! It's in Japanese with Korean subtitles which means I have no fucking clue what's going on but it's hilarious and hypnotic.

Can we also talk about Korean dramas? Because I've also been watching Pasta with my co-teacher. It is the guiltiest of guilty pleasures. Although I personally like the History Dramas more. They are so overwrought.

Anyway seriously all of these shows are completely ridiculous, it is like... okay I'm searching for an analogy but forget it, it is exactly what you'd expect a soap opera from Asia to be.

Oh good so many times I've felt like this. It's like, there's some kind of immunization buffer period - say, 10 years or so - of watching this stuff that I lack, which just makes it completely hilarious without trying.

Tyrankh on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    livegtogm7.png

Not enough blond hair.

Owenashi on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    god i love anime so much
    im so glad this thread is here for us to talk about it

Kusuguttai on
    edited March 2010
    naruto

hey guys remember that time in naruto with the ninja guys?

and also airbender

that's my favorite japanese anime.

Food on