As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]Druids: CLOSED SLIGHTLY EARLY

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    It's basically best to just throw do Wild Growth and throw Reujv on the lower members. You can maybe two casts of Nourish off before Wild Growth falls off anyways.

Nourish is pretty good for tank healing, however. But most raids aren't about the tanks taking a serious beating like in Wrath.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    So I decided to give Tree healing a whirl in a half-guild-run normal and damn it's fun. I think I have too much of a habit, though, of casting rejuvenation to heal a non-tank member rather than casting nourish which is getting me into mana problems on longer duration bosses. Also, still not used to lifebloom being changed to only one target :(

Still, so many hots, so much aoe healing, it's a nice change from booming.
    Once your gear gets better, the majority of your healing will probably be Rejuv again unless you're strictly on MT duty. Rejuv got its cost hotfixed and the effects are quite noticeable. So much so that they're nerfing it's cost a bit in 4.0.6 (to 20%, which is still a decent buff).

To be honest, I don't even use Nourish that much these days.
    Wait, so that 16% base mana cost is what it is on live? I haven't really looked at the heal spell costs on my druid, since I'm just leveling him resto, but I could swear rejuv was still fairly expensive right now.

Your post is confusing. They hotfixed it too much and are nerfing it in the patch to 20%, which is a buff?

forty on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The original mana cost for Rejuv was 26%. It's been hotfixed to 16% (you still need the original 26% to be able to cast it, but it uses 16%) and in the patch they're changing that to 20%. So overall it's still a hefty buff from was it was but not as good as it is currently, but the other buffs we're getting counteract that pretty handily anyway.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh, I guess I had forgotten that it was one of the hotfixed ones, so the client is lying to us.

Then yeah, I guess if rejuv is hurting your mana now, the patch is not going to be friendly in that regard.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So it looks like cats no longer have a talent for passive AoE damage reduction? Jesus this spec is in shambles compared to WotLK.

forty on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I want to see a Cat version of the Rogue "Cheat Death" talent called "Nine Lives"

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Comrade1809Comrade1809 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I want to see a Cat version of the Rogue "Cheat Death" talent called "Nine Lives"

Druids already do, it's called shift and heal.

Comrade1809 on
    EVE: TrueAnger

“The trouble with Communism is the Communists, just as the trouble with Christianity is the Christians.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

“This Snow Crash thing--is it a virus, a drug, or a religion?”
    Juanita shrugs. “What's the difference?”
    ― Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't know if you were trying to be funny or are a goose, but if you wanted to be closer to reality you'd say shift to bear and pop frenzied regen.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This is not Wrath where a Predatory Strike'd Healing Touch is going to bring you to full.

Recuperate looks better than most feral druid heals.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Opty wrote: »
    I don't know if you were trying to be funny or are a goose, but if you wanted to be closer to reality you'd say shift to bear and pop frenzied regen.

Funny and biased. My main is a Rogue, and I always have problems fighting Feral Druids in Cat form. The bleed damage that gets placed on my Rogue is just part of the problem. I have problems keeping the target within melee range since crippling poison can be shifted out of. Also being able to escape roots is limited for my character, so while I'm sitting rooted the Druid runs away a little, heals to full and continues my regularly administered beating.

Don't listen to me though, I'm just a scorned Rogue scouring the forums for insight on how to beat you buggers. =)

Comrade1809 on

“The trouble with Communism is the Communists, just as the trouble with Christianity is the Christians.”
    ― H.L. Mencken

• Options
    edited February 2011
    This is not Wrath where a Predatory Strike'd Healing Touch is going to bring you to full.

Actually my Recuperate ticks for less than the bleeds a Druid can place on me, completely negating any healing effect that it provides.

Comrade1809 on

― H.L. Mencken

• Options
    edited February 2011

Funny and biased. My main is a Rogue, and I always have problems fighting Feral Druids in Cat form. The bleed damage that gets placed on my Rogue is just part of the problem. I have problems keeping the target within melee range since crippling poison can be shifted out of. Also being able to escape roots is limited for my character, so while I'm sitting rooted the Druid runs away a little, heals to full and continues my regularly administered beating.

Don't listen to me though, I'm just a scorned Rogue scouring the forums for insight on how to beat you buggers. =)
    Play in team-based PvP where rogues are definitely more useful than feral druids.

forty on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Actually my Recuperate ticks for less than the bleeds a Druid can place on me, completely negating any healing effect that it provides.

Are you pvping at lvl 80?

At 85, feral druid heals are terrible.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So my Boomkin finally hit 80 last night, and now my mana retention is in the toilet because my heirlooms aren't working nearly so well (I imagine the two trinkets still work but it takes so many spell casts to kill stuff now that I blow a ton of mana in the process). I guess I need to start stacking spirit? My gear is pretty bad so I imagine a lot of it might just be getting Cata upgrades (aside from the two or three pieces I've gotten so far in Vashj'ir, most of it is ~ilvl 150ish since I just grabbed quest rewards)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I decided to give Tree healing a whirl in a half-guild-run normal and damn it's fun. I think I have too much of a habit, though, of casting rejuvenation to heal a non-tank member rather than casting nourish which is getting me into mana problems on longer duration bosses. Also, still not used to lifebloom being changed to only one target :(

Still, so many hots, so much aoe healing, it's a nice change from booming.
    Once your gear gets better, the majority of your healing will probably be Rejuv again unless you're strictly on MT duty. Rejuv got its cost hotfixed and the effects are quite noticeable. So much so that they're nerfing it's cost a bit in 4.0.6 (to 20%, which is still a decent buff).

To be honest, I don't even use Nourish that much these days.

I hear that. 9minute fight. 0% Nourish

Really hoping the patch makes it a little more viable.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So my Boomkin finally hit 80 last night, and now my mana retention is in the toilet because my heirlooms aren't working nearly so well (I imagine the two trinkets still work but it takes so many spell casts to kill stuff now that I blow a ton of mana in the process). I guess I need to start stacking spirit? My gear is pretty bad so I imagine a lot of it might just be getting Cata upgrades (aside from the two or three pieces I've gotten so far in Vashj'ir, most of it is ~ilvl 150ish since I just grabbed quest rewards)

Just level to 85 and you'll gain enough mana from gear to cushion your mana issues. You don't really need to stack spirit, although you probably want to pick up caster leathers with spirit on it anyway since spirit doubles as hit while also giving mana regen, unlike the caster leathers which don't have spirit but have hit on it instead (unless of course said leathers have a better secondary stat, like haste on it but then it's discretionary).

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Derrick wrote: »

Nope, 85. The druids I mostly see are very well geared with pvp items, so I guess that would contribute a lot.

Comrade1809 on

― H.L. Mencken

• Options
    edited February 2011

Just level to 85 and you'll gain enough mana from gear to cushion your mana issues. You don't really need to stack spirit, although you probably want to pick up caster leathers with spirit on it anyway since spirit doubles as hit while also giving mana regen, unlike the caster leathers which don't have spirit but have hit on it instead (unless of course said leathers have a better secondary stat, like haste on it but then it's discretionary).

The main issue with mana during levelling is due to needing to hit eclipse for mana regen. I find the best thing to do if you're having mana issues while levelling is to only use the dot for the eclipse direction you're heading towards. So IS if you're heading towards Lunar and MF if you're headed towards Solar.

Also, I don't think there's any caster leather post 80 that has hit on it, it's all spirit. The only times a boomkin should run into hit is from jewelery, trinkets, and weapons/offhands. Spirit's only really useful for hit due to how spirit-based mana regen turning off in combat for non-healers.

Opty on
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I leveled to 85 as a moonkin with the following strategy:
    Get solar eclipse and stay there permanently
    Sunfire -> Insect Swarm -> Sunfire spam
    since sunfire becomes free over time, you're basically spending one sunfire and one insect swarm per fight.

Logicow on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Spirit's only really useful for hit due to how spirit-based mana regen turning off in combat for non-healers.
    Except that you spend a lot of time out of combat while leveling.

forty on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Derrick wrote: »

Nope, 85. The druids I mostly see are very well geared with pvp items, so I guess that would contribute a lot.

It wouldn't actually. Their health will be massive and their heals are still tiny. I think you're just rationalizing your losses. Trust me, you didn't lose because the druid can cast heals.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    forty wrote: »
    Spirit's only really useful for hit due to how spirit-based mana regen turning off in combat for non-healers.

Personally I start attacking the next mob as soon as my current one is low enough I know my DoT(s) will kill it in the next tick or two but I guess not everyone's that efficient. Even so, if you're going to be stacking spirit it should be done with hit in mind rather than mana regen because the amount of spirit you'd need to eliminate your mana woes completely is far more than how much you'd need to get raid boss level +hit.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    forty wrote: »

Personally I start attacking the next mob as soon as my current one is low enough I know my DoT(s) will kill it in the next tick or two but I guess not everyone's that efficient. Even so, if you're going to be stacking spirit it should be done with hit in mind rather than mana regen because the amount of spirit you'd need to eliminate your mana woes completely is far more than how much you'd need to get raid boss level +hit.
    I don't know how you'd be in combat 100% of the time.

forty on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So Druids. I hear they like healing stuff over time.

In all seriousness, I recently got my druid to 80, and need to take a serious look in how I should track the shit I need to. I already got grid and can track stuff like debuffs, but what's a good way to track lifeblooms and rejuvs?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well as far as target/focus, I like Fortexorcist or DoTimer. If you're talking about raid-wide.. no idea.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I use Vuudu or however its spelled for raid frames. Very customizable frames that lets you position hots on players in numerous ways.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just installed GridStatusHoTs. Not perfect, as it doesn't tell me exactly how long the hots last, but it gives me a rough idea if I need to refresh it.

Zython on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I use Grid status hots and grid corner text which gives me to the 10th of a second for rejuv, regrowth, lb (colour coded to number of applications) and wild growth.

I really don't see the need for anything beyond grid.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Patch live this week, it looks like. No compensation given to ferals whatsoever for the massive nerfs they ate. Back to the bottom of the barrel for you!

PvE wise, I'm considering dumping Furor to grab 3/3 Nature's Bounty. Regrowth is going to be pretty awesome with the 10% healing buff AND lifebloom refreshing. However, I'm not sure how mana is going to pan out: it looks like lifebloom is our ONLY source of omen procs outside of damage spells and rejuv's mana cost is going up to 20%.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, tanking.

I have iLevel 332 right now, 119k hp with MOTW in bear form. As tanks go, I need to reforge... dodge or sta?

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, you can't reforge into stamina.

But you'll basically always want to reforge to dodge.

Ranlin on
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Patch live this week, it looks like. No compensation given to ferals whatsoever for the massive nerfs they ate. Back to the bottom of the barrel for you!

PvE wise, I'm considering dumping Furor to grab 3/3 Nature's Bounty. Regrowth is going to be pretty awesome with the 10% healing buff AND lifebloom refreshing. However, I'm not sure how mana is going to pan out: it looks like lifebloom is our ONLY source of omen procs outside of damage spells and rejuv's mana cost is going up to 20%.

I'm kinda thinking the same thing re: furor, but I'm also a tad leery about the regrowth refreshing lifebloom change. Granted, I think it'll make ToL ridiculously good. But not having as much control over when LB pops is something that I'll have to learn to work with.

Unrestricted hells yes to WG being on a shorter cooldown, though.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Shorter cooldown and 30% more healing.

I am seriously tempted to just spec out of efflorescence entirely.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Gnutson wrote: »
    I use Grid status hots and grid corner text which gives me to the 10th of a second for rejuv, regrowth, lb (colour coded to number of applications) and wild growth.

I really don't see the need for anything beyond grid.

I was looking for corner text, and the only version I found was depreciated. Where did you get your version?

Zython on
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yep...it ticks for about 2-2.5k for me unless I happen to get a SP trinket proc AND activate my +SP trinket at the same time. Even then it's only about 3.5k so it won't save anyone if they're already hurting.

The only question is where those 3 points would go...are you thinking something like a 10/0/31 build? Drop the 2/3 in furor for 2/3 in Genesis and drop the 3/3 in efflorescence to max out Nature's Bounty and drop 1 point in something like BotG?

Raekreu on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Well, you can't reforge into stamina.

But you'll basically always want to reforge to dodge.

Well, if I tell Rawr to optimize me for Heroics (as in Heroic dungeons, not Heroic raids) it tells me to reforge everything to mastery. If I use raid targets, it tells me to reforge everything to dodge.

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Are you planning on going no further than heroics?

Also while mastery would definitely end up better for heroic bosses, unless you plan on using as much cc as possible forever, dodge would still be more useful for trashpacks.

Ranlin on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, I reforge into Dodge, and then I gem/enchant for STA?

I'm at work right now so I can't look up a lot of stuff, but I assumed I would want to build STA because if you dodge too much you don't gain Rage, but then again I am not sure how much rage I would be losing in that instance since I would still be taking damage anyway.

Rotations: Bears seem to lack a natural consistant AoE like Warriors and especially DK's, I know we have Swipe and we have Thrash, but I am not sure as to how to open with groups.

My idea is: Open with Savage Roar to get attention, throw out a Swipe and a Thrash, drop some lacerates and on my skull, rinse and repeat Thrash/Swipe. I have Maul macroed into every one of those so I am always using maul when it is up, and it is glyphed.

Any other suggestions? I am gonna post my Armory link when I get home tomorrow.

Edit* I would LOVE to get into Raids, either by DPS or Tank ( I have an 85 Lock/Mage/Druid/Rogue/DK ) - sadly though, I am deployed so I don't quite match up with other peoples play times, and I suffer from random lag spikes from time to time, (which is why I don't heal because a tank can make a mistake before a healer can)

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Enchants it's still largely stamina stacking that's ideal, but you don't have to gem all sta like in wrath. Gemming agi is actually much better, because that's more dodge, more crits to proc savage defense and more ap for bigger SD bubbles, as well as more threat. That's only after you've reached whatever safe minimum level of stamina for whatever you're doing, which for heroics / normal raids is actually pretty dang low.

That said, I'm only just now getting around to regemming from mostly sta to agi, so I haven't actually put my own suggestion into practice just yet.

If you're dealing with pugs mostly, though, then it's a crapshoot about which is actually better since you can't count on heals or dps to be responding to anything properly.

As far as AoE threat goes, swipe is definitely pretty awful, yes. Thrash is actually pretty good threat, though, and should even make it into your single target rotation in place of a lacerate as long as you have at least one lacerate running for berserk procs and don't need to be at 3 to eat them for crit. So for aoe, lead with thrash instead of swipe, then swipe. Other than that, it's time to get used to tabbing and hitting things with maul / mangle between thrash/swipe cooldowns. If dps are following a kill order and not aoeing with you, then stay on target and your aoe will be plenty to keep them off of minor aoe / heal agro.

Oh yeah: as far as dodging too much hurting rage goes, you get 3 rage every time you dodge, and generate (usually!) enough rage from autoattacks to maintain adequate threat during streaks of dodges/misses.

Ranlin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Raekreu wrote: »

Yep...it ticks for about 2-2.5k for me unless I happen to get a SP trinket proc AND activate my +SP trinket at the same time. Even then it's only about 3.5k so it won't save anyone if they're already hurting.

The only question is where those 3 points would go...are you thinking something like a 10/0/31 build? Drop the 2/3 in furor for 2/3 in Genesis and drop the 3/3 in efflorescence to max out Nature's Bounty and drop 1 point in something like BotG?
    I'd probably get one point in Efflorescence over Blessing, but then again we'll be doing a lot of Rejuvin' post-patch.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.