As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft Game Room - Pitfall, Super Breakout, more - 5/5, supposedly

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man what the hell Microsoft. I was just thinking to myself today that it's almost May and they said the new pack would be out the last week of April. I'm pretty surprised how poorly the Game Room roll-out has been. It all seems so mishandled.

I was quite excited about this at first too, heck, I even bought a game to go along with both my 360 and PC... a big mistake, though, as I found out the hard way that my laptop won't run the Game Room. I just hope that they are willing to go through this for the long haul, and not abandon it just because it didn't have intitial success.

At least that way you didn't get hit by one of the many PC-exclusive Achievement-killing bugs. :x

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowoftheKatamariShadowoftheKatamari Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Goddammit, I was really looking forward to how Game Room would turn out once they started adding more games.

ShadowoftheKatamari on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    actually its looking like Game on! now.

major nelson said today via twitter

""We're happy to report the newest #XboxLIVE Game Room titles - including Super Breakout & Pitfall - will be available this Wednesday!" "

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Good news if it turns out to be true

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ValoisianValoisian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Found this on the X-box forums from various sources:

May 12th Game Release details: Battlezone, Keystone Kapers, Soccer, Canyon Bomber, Night Driver, Oink!, Mega Zone

May 19th: Asteroids, Time Pilot

I'd be VERY onboard for Keystone Kapers (one of a few Atari/Activision games that had a lot of replay value to me) and I LOVED playing Time Pilot at the Circle K back in the day (order of nachos on the side).

Valoisian on
  • Options
    xen0nxen0n Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sorry to bump an old thread; I couldn't find a more recent one dealing with Game Room. I've only just got into using it, and I'm looking for any fans of River Raid or H.E.R.O. who fancy participating in some challenges. My XBOX Gamertag is xen0n1979 if anyone is keen.

xen0n on
    xen0n1979.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    People actually played Game Room after the first week?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It had a decent update last week.

There are now realtime leaderboards. These are actually pretty cool. As your scores get higher, they show you the next guy in the leaderboard - compelling.

Some new themes and things too, but man... they really need to up the quality of the games being released.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was really hoping this was voodooed due to more recent arcade game updates. Oh well.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    xen0nxen0n Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It had a decent update last week.

There are now realtime leaderboards. These are actually pretty cool. As your scores get higher, they show you the next guy in the leaderboard - compelling.

Some new themes and things too, but man... they really need to up the quality of the games being released.

I'm loving the realtime leaderboards too, gives a little incentive to keep playing - especially when you make a charge up the boards and it sticks that little flame effect on your gamerpic :)

xen0n on
    xen0n1979.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    I was really hoping this was voodooed due to more recent arcade game updates. Oh well.

Well there are supposed to be more gamers from Pack 7 'unlocked' today, but nothing that makes me instantly reach into my MSPoint wallet.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Not to start the usual wish list posts, but they need to get games like Ghosts N Goblins, Gauntlet, Space Gunner, TMNT Arcade. These are the types of games I'm waiting for.

Star Wars would make me reach into my pocket right now.

Whats going out today Fraggle?

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    (Arcade) Yie Ar Kung Fu
    (Atari 2600) Enduro™, Ice Hockey™, Gravitar® Home Version
    (Intellivision) Tower of Doom

Hmm... they really need to up the quality of the games, or reduce the price. These types of games should be 80 mspoints like XBLIG titles. Spending 240 - 400 points seems silly.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thats another way they are screwing the pooch, the pricing. Most these games aren't worth more than a buck. I'd be willing to argue that none of them are. I love Yar's Revenge as much as the next Atari owner, but that price is ridiculous.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thats another way they are screwing the pooch, the pricing. Most these games aren't worth more than a buck. I'd be willing to argue that none of them are. I love Yar's Revenge as much as the next Atari owner, but that price is ridiculous.

I laughed my ass off when I saw the prices on these things. I'd love to hear their defense / see how successful this whole thing is.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm guessing there is a complete lack of success. I too would like to know how they decided on the prices. If Yars Revenge is $3, what will Ghost N Goblins or After Burner cost?

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well they seem to have the same price for everything, which is handy.

But rediculous.

I'm starting to wonder if we will ever see the likes of After Burner etc.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not to start the usual wish list posts, but they need to get games like Ghosts N Goblins, Gauntlet, Space Gunner, TMNT Arcade. These are the types of games I'm waiting for.

Star Wars would make me reach into my pocket right now.

Whats going out today Fraggle?

You realize they already have TMNT Arcade, right? You can go buy it, right now. It's on XBLA...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yes, yes I do. But I want it for my Arcade Room. Which makes it even more stupifying; some of this stuff is already on XBLA. How hard is it to put a version in the damn virtual arcade room?

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes, yes I do. But I want it for my Arcade Room. Which makes it even more stupifying; some of this stuff is already on XBLA. How hard is it to put a version in the damn virtual arcade room?

If they could throw the cabinets from all of the XBLA games that originated as coin-ops into the Arcade Room, I might actually mess around with it. Allowing me to "walk" my avatar around the arcade would be nice too.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    game room seems to be dying a slow death. they need to drastically reduce the prices on all the shit games, stop releasing so many shit games, and start releasing stuff that anyone anywhere might theoretically want to play. whoever is in charge of this thing really shit the bed.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seriously, who buy this shit?? This over-priced, ugly as fuck, horribly old shit?? How can they make any money of it?

Seriously, I'm a huge Intellivision fan; I was still playing it with my dad back when I got my SNES, I've an emulator since the console died (shitty controllers) and I'm all for good old nostalgia, but I buying any of that stuff at that price would feel like getting gang raped.

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yes.

Just like getting gang raped.

An apt comparison, indeed.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've been there. I know what I'm talking about.

Ok not really.

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to love Game Room but they have to start releasing some heavy hitters like now. Throw us a bone and have Defender, Joust, Robotron, Ms. Pacman, Galaga. I bought River Raid for nostalgia but enough with this Atari shit and no more Konami arcade games.

Broktune on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just how easy do you think that is?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    X-Men arcade cabinet.

I would download the Game Room right now if they made this available. But until then, I'm not wasting the time. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    X-Men arcade cabinet.

want
    WWAAAAANNNRRGHT!!!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just how easy do you think that is?

I have no idea, I just play the games. It might be very hard for them to release these types of titles, I would just like a glimmer of hope. I'm 35 and grew up with a lot of these games and really can't wait for a title like Robotron so I can show my utter dominance over all you fools :winky:.

Broktune on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think a big problem with Game Room is the existence of XBox Live Indie Games. If Game Room was just going up against XBLA (where the majority of titles are now $10 or greater), than the $3 per game cost on Game Room might not feel so bad. However, there are a lot of great games on XBLIG for just $1 which makes $3 for old arcade & pre-NES console titles feel very expensive.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah that is true. Getting some great new little games for 60p is just ace, I <3 XBLIG.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The lack of updates is another huge issue they need to address. The era they are choosing from at the moment is far from lacking in titles.

But that still does not address the fact most of us want arcade games (mid 80's), not games we can get for a buck on line or on a massive collection disk for $20.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am guessing that it is a problem with licensing. Publishers will be reluctant to allow the "newer" arcade games as they may want to put them in XBLA themselves some day. For instance, when Game room was launched the developers were going on about Sega stuff being in there but we didn't hear anything about that since and now Dreamcast games will be appearing in Live Arcade. Also doesn't The Virtual console on the Wii do arcade games? Nintendo might have negotiated exclusive contracts.

I loved it when Giantbomb did a quick look and managed to become ranked 11th in the world in a game by simply scoring 1 point.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You really do get the impression Game Room was put out to soon.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You really do get the impression Game Room was put out to soon.

I can agree with that definitely. They should have negotiated more arcade games to throw in at the very least. That being said, if the service can survive, I can see it eventually taking off. I mean Live Arcade itself was a wasteland with a few gems for the first year or so too.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm not going to scream doomed just yet. Like you said, XBLA took awhile too.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I don't think time is going to fix Game Room unless they lower the prices.

In my opinion, the price is 4-5 times too high for these games. They should be encouraging people to fill their arcade with games.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

I don't think time is going to fix Game Room unless they lower the prices.

In my opinion, the price is 4-5 times too high for these games. They should be encouraging people to fill their arcade with games.

If they killed 1 vs 100, nothing is sacred. D:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Charging more than $1 for an Atari game is just criminal.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that's the thing. If they were $1, I'd be buying a lot of games. At $3, I have yet to buy a single game.

RainbowDespair on