As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Darkness] CCP + White Wolf = <3

• HellektroHellektro Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just came a little when I saw this :)

Hope it's full pvp enabled and I can RP True Blood vs Twilight!

Hellektro on
    Iran is confirming a daughter of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is at the Saudi Embassy in Tehran.

Tiger will nail her within a week.
  • YannYann Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah, yes. Thats obviously how they will solve the day/night cycle problem. Vampires simply sparkle in daylight instead. Brilliant.

Yann on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Perpetual night because a wizard did it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My only exposure to World of Darkness is Vampire: Bloodlines, so not sure how similar that setting is to this one, but the concept seems awesome for an MMO.

I might consider lifting my self imposed ban on MMOs for this, needs to be open PvP though, I couldn't stomach the Twilight princesses this thing is bound to attract without the ability to a least ruin their day.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Maybe I'm just a bitter old EVE vet, but some of you have way more faith in CCP than I do. CCP hasn't proven anything to me in the last year, except that they can release buggy, feature incomplete expansions, and regress consistently on their #1 player issue (lag).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited March 2010
    CCP went from literally making boardgames to creating one of the most successful MMO's of all time. It took a lot of time for them to get EVE right, but I get the impression that they have grown into a much more reliable and experienced role now.

They are a huge company compared to their early days and I personally think they can pull it off.

I also think EVE is the best MMO out there. Though, with the fatal flaw of it having horrible combat. <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wait, how many people are playing EVE? I thought it was in the sub 200,000 range.

Undead Scottsman on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Didn't CCP have some weird internal corruption issues regarding EVE?

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • PelPel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wait, how many people are playing EVE? I thought it was in the sub 200,000 range.
    Don't know offhand but I can tell you that 32,000 accounts are logged in right now.

Pel on
    edited March 2010

A little bit more than 300.000

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    But like expressed above, I'm wondering how they're going to do the day/night cycle in a game that has Vampires in it. Unless it's just permanently night.

Just mimic the RL day/night cycle.

Papillon on
    edited March 2010
    Papillon wrote: »
    But like expressed above, I'm wondering how they're going to do the day/night cycle in a game that has Vampires in it. Unless it's just permanently night.

And make it so 1/3rd (Well, let's be serious: 3/4ths) of the player base can't play their characters for 8-16 hours a day? Especially during peak hours?

Keep in mind, in at least the PnP mechanics.

-Vampires burst into flames in sunlight and there's little to no mechanic recourse to stop that.
    -Vampires also fall unconscious when the sun rises, and only through herculean efforts of will can they stay awake, and usually only for a few minutes at that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Papillon wrote: »

And make it so 1/3rd (Well, let's be serious: 3/4ths) of the player base can't play their characters for 8-16 hours a day? Especially during peak hours?

If you play your character for 8-16 hours a day you need help. Seriously though, I'm imagining 5 or more cities, each with different night hours, so there will be 2-3 cities which are in night during each player's play hours. You're encouraging people to play in different areas from people in different timezones, but I'm not convinced that's necessarily a bad thing, as interaction between people in different timezones is likely to be minimal anyway. The time in your play area doesn't need to be aligned with local time, and you don't need to force everyone in the same timezone into the same area.
    Keep in mind, in at least the PnP mechanics.

-Vampires burst into flames in sunlight and there's little to no mechanic recourse to stop that.
    -Vampires also fall unconscious when the sun rises, and only through herculean efforts of will can they stay awake, and usually only for a few minutes at that.

- Most cities in vampire stories have unusually extensive sewer systems.
    - Few people are going to want to play from 0:00 - 16:00 local time anyway, especially on a weekday. Penalties for being awake during the day could be softened somewhat, as long as the vampire remains indoors or underground.

Papillon on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Vampires are gay and so are werewolves, here is a list of things that are at least ten times better than them:

Badasses with blowtorches
    Serial killers
    Psychic superheroes who can't die
    Zombie Superheroes animated by divine fire
    Fairy abduction survivors
    Magicians
    Immortals
    Psychics
    Abyssal cultists
    Ancient owls from the fall of rome which hunt vampires down.

Things worse than Werewolf/Vamp:
    Changing Breeds. Just horribad.

Edith Upwards on
  • YannYann Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

Say what now??

Yann on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yann wrote: »
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

Say what now??

Stryx. It's a reference to the Vampire supplement Requiem for Rome.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd bet money they just make it night all the time, like in, oh, pretty much every other WoD game they made? Well, all two of them.

Actually, the first one did have a day stage, complete with 'stay out of the sun or you burrrrn' mechanic, so I'd bet there is SOME daytime, but probably in an instanced mission or something.

And I'd totally play a hunter with a love for dynamite. And then demand open world PvP.

Astale on
    edited March 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    I'd bet money they just make it night all the time, like in, oh, pretty much every other WoD game they made? Well, all two of them.

Actually, the first one did have a day stage, complete with 'stay out of the sun or you burrrrn' mechanic, so I'd bet there is SOME daytime, but probably in an instanced mission or something.

And I'd totally play a hunter with a love for dynamite. And then demand open world PvP.

Both those games were old WoD, just FYI.

Undead Scottsman on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I haven't checked out the new stuff, but my understanding was it is incredibly similar.

Kind of a 'oh shoot we wrote ourselves into a corner, time to reboot it' deal. No?

Astale on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I haven't checked out the new stuff, but my understanding was it is incredibly similar.

Kind of a 'oh shoot we wrote ourselves into a corner, time to reboot it' deal. No?

More, "oh my god we have so much huge amount of lore help help drowning" and chunks of it didn't work anymore - basically the same problem comic books have after a while, to the point where you slam your head into your desk working with it.

(I still liked it. *defensive*)

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So is the World of Darkness MMO going to be the new World of Darkness or the old one? Really, I'm fine with either one, I just haven't heard any official word on it, though I assume its going to be the new stuff just to avoid confusion.

Also, as far as a day/night cycle thing goes, I feel like their should be one as I don't think I could stand perpetual darkness 24/7. That'd get depressing after a while.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kind of like a gothic-punk setting should be?

Comahawk on
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Awwwwww yeah.

I've always wanted this to happen. Even if it's the new setting (I'm partial to the old WoD) it'll still rule.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also, as far as a day/night cycle thing goes, I feel like their should be one as I don't think I could stand perpetual darkness 24/7. That'd get depressing after a while.
    They pretty much have to do the game all at night. I know it kills immersion a bit, but that's less harmful to the game than having a substantial portion of your characters having to stop what they're doing and hide in sewers/underground/indoors half the time.

Man, I haven't thought much about World of Darkness since high school. This was one of the few RPG's that attracted girls.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes, but what kind?

Bigity on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bigity wrote: »
    Yes, but what kind?

The highschool kind. So... crazy?

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited March 2010
    Comahawk wrote: »

*reads the paper*

Huh, another oil spill off the coast. House at edge of town burns in strange fire. Abduction cult leads confuse police.

Oh hum, another day in the life.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    Yes, but what kind?

The highschool kind. So... crazy?

If you say so. WoD was way after high school for me.

Bigity on
  • TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    They could do the night/day cycles like EQ, where days and nights were pretty fast. Always made that one forest fun.

Tanolen on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This will gladly be my second MMO ever.

As long as I can go Mage. I really hope they branch out all the universes, and have the appropriate cross-faction conflicts.

For example, if you go Free Council, you automatically get into conflicts with the Silver Ladder(and probably everyone).

Also, IMO, it goes like this:

Vampire - Old >>> New

Changeling - New > Old

Mage - New > Old (Old scares me)

Werewolf - ???

Hunter - New >>> Old

Oh yeah, another nifty thing about NW - it's designed with human PCs in mind, and you add supernatural stuff onto that.

So you can do a game about just humans and have a perfectly good time.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

As long as I can go Mage. I really hope they branch out all the universes, and have the appropriate cross-faction conflicts.

In nWoD there really isn't any as far as I know, just tension, suspicion, etc.

Comahawk on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Oh, there very much is.

Changelings have the Courts: Summer, Winter, Spring, and Fall. Each has their different way of coping with life after returning from Arcadia. Summer want to go to war on Arcadia, Winter want to go into hiding, Spring want to celebrate life, etc.

Mages have the Orders: Free Council(freethinkers), Mysterium(scholars), Adamantine Arrow(warriors), Silver Ladder(politicians/leaders), and the Guardians of the Veil(secret police types).

They have all kinds of cross-faction bickering, though in both games, they also have worse threats to deal with from outside. Changelings have the True Fae, Mages have the Banishers(Mages who want to abolish magic and kill all Mages) and the Exarchs(servants of uber powerful entities who want the orders brought to ruin).

This is all in NW, mind. I'm not too familiar with Old in anything but Vampire.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Are you saying that the day time can't be bleak and hopeless too?

MiSTieOtaku on
    edited March 2010

Oh, there very much is.

Changelings have the Courts: Summer, Winter, Spring, and Fall. Each has their different way of coping with life after returning from Arcadia. Summer want to go to war on Arcadia, Winter want to go into hiding, Spring want to celebrate life, etc.

Mages have the Orders: Free Council(freethinkers), Mysterium(scholars), Adamantine Arrow(warriors), Silver Ladder(politicians/leaders), and the Guardians of the Veil(secret police types).

They have all kinds of cross-faction bickering, though in both games, they also have worse threats to deal with from outside. Changelings have the True Fae, Mages have the Banishers(Mages who want to abolish magic and kill all Mages) and the Exarchs(servants of uber powerful entities who want the orders brought to ruin).

This is all in NW, mind. I'm not too familiar with Old in anything but Vampire.

My bad, mistook cross faction conflict to mean between supernaturals.

And as far as the day/night thing, I was referring to you saying it would be depressing if it was always night.

Comahawk on
    edited March 2010
    There can be conflict between supernaturals, but like everything in NW, there can be as much or as little of it as the ST wants.

They have just as much reason to get along as they do to want each other dead. Even Hunters can work with some supernaturals to hunt other ones.

Another reason they should allow human PCs if they can. They could do some serious damage.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2010
    There can be conflict between supernaturals, but like everything in NW, there can be as much or as little of it as the ST wants.

They have just as much reason to get along as they do to want each other dead. Even Hunters can work with some supernaturals to hunt other ones.

Another reason they should allow human PCs if they can. They could do some serious damage.

Back in the old WoD, you got things like most, if not all, Vampires hating Werewolfs, and most, if not all, Werewolves hating Vampires. We're talking Kill-on-Sight kind of stuff, with generally no exceptions.

In the new WoD; some vampires may hate werewolves, others may work with them from time to time, and occasionally you may even find a Vampire who works regularly with a particular werewolf pack.

Oh, and cj iwakura, the old Mage blows the new Mage out of the water. But that's just my opinion.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I hear that a lot, but I look at old Mage and have no idea what I'm reading. New Mage was a lot easier to grasp, I felt.
    (I also <3 the Guardians.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I hear that a lot, but I look at old Mage and have no idea what I'm reading. New Mage was a lot easier to grasp, I felt.
    (I also <3 the Guardians.)

To me it always seems that Old Mage is sort of like a nicely aged Wine with nice undertones and New Mage is sort of like Bathtub Gin.

Sorry my prejudices towards how deep and rich the old Mage are showing a little. I picked up the new mage and looked for the spheres and was disheartened. Then I saw something about Atlantis and Dragons and I put it down.

To be fair I didn't give it much a chance. I just miss the days of the Nephrandi and the Technocracy.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited March 2010
    One flaw I found that the old Mage suffered from what the potential to end up with a dickish storyteller.

I know using magic isn't suppose to be simple, but some people just made it stupidly complex to cast even simple sensory spells.

Comahawk on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    They pretty much have to do the game all at night. I know it kills immersion a bit, but that's less harmful to the game than having a substantial portion of your characters having to stop what they're doing and hide in sewers/underground/indoors half the time.

Man, I haven't thought much about World of Darkness since high school. This was one of the few RPG's that attracted girls.

I used to play World of Darkness MUSHes compulsively in high school, haven't touched it much since. The solution that they used for the day/night thing was having a day/night cycle in the open world parts of the game, but allowing certain Vampire hangouts to be "nightzones" that were night 24/7. These would be things like certain nightclubs, Elysium, Sabbat temples, etc.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats