As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Keeping the band together.

Daedelus_XDaedelus_X Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Critical Failures
I recently started a gaming society at my university hoping to find other people to play D&D with.

We got a solid group for 2-3 sessions, and played using MicroLite20 to make things go a little smoother for the first time players. It went well and everybody seemed to enjoy themselves.

Then when we decided to switch to D&D 3.5.... everyone bailed.

Since then I've had trouble getting people to play.

What are good ways of finding other players and keeping them in the group?

Daedelus_X on

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In terms of straight up finding players, I would look at places like meetup.com. They might have local listings for people who already have a group, or people looking to form one. And if they don't, you can start one.

As far as keeping the group together, it's hard to tell. I'm not familiar with the MicroLite20 system, is there a reason you wanted to switch from that? If players were enjoying themselves under that, I would say that maybe you should keep playing it for a while.

Did people bail specifically because you switched systems, or was it other stuff that was going on? I've played with plenty of people who enjoy tabletop, but just don't enjoy it enough to prioritize it. That could be the case here.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Having run a moderately successful gaming club back in college, I feel confident in telling you there are more players around. Post flyers, make them eye catching. We made sure we always had a poster up with an elf or a flying castle or whatnot, and we always had new people coming in. How big is your school?

As far as keeping them there, once you hit a critical mass it will be easier - you'll have enough people interested in any given system to run a game. The MicroLite20 people will play on tuesdays, the d&d 3.5 people will play on thursdays, or whatever. There will be some overlap between the play groups, and that's what keeps the group as a whole together.

SlickShughes on