As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lead And Gold: You need some of this too

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    So, this is pretty fun, but goddamn some people shouldn't be hosting servers from outer space on their smoke signal connections.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Big patch downloading from Steam right now. I hope it makes it playable.

Echo on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look of this today. It looks pretty cool. My chances of buying it increased. If it had bots I'd be in.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    brynstar wrote: »
    I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look of this today. It looks pretty cool. My chances of buying it increased. If it had bots I'd be in.

It does have some single- or two-player mode where you fight against bots. Nothing for regular game modes yet, but I hope they add that.

Echo on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A duck! wrote: »
    He's saying if you don't get any of those achievements you'll be fine.

So just don't do anything helpful. Or play well at all, really.

Yes, it was a joke. Sorry.
    ohyouquackm128557963791254761.jpg

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Achievements work now.

The servers are still lagging like shit, but I blame that on people hosting with their shitty connections.

Echo on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    :O Join the steam group let us come together for this video game, also my game ran like shit but lowering the resolution solved it so :S i dunno did you give it a shot.

also
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ix6b0WrAkc

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Achievements work now.

The servers are still lagging like shit, but I blame that on people hosting with their shitty connections.

Someone from the dev team said they're patching in dedicated server support by the time the beta concludes.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Achievements work now.

Someone from the dev team said they're patching in dedicated server support by the time the beta concludes.

Would literally sell my steam account if they didn't

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Picked it up. Downloading now on steam, joined the group. Should be interestin'.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This really needs dedicated servers right now. I tried hosting a listen server myself, but every time someone joined it froze the entire game for 3-5 seconds.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The game tends to slow down when I am hosting but picks up after the initial few seconds, so its not a disaster.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I played a few games and had a pretty good time, after I got the resolution problems fixed. (Thanks again Meta)

I just don't think the trapper is that great in these smaller maps. Unless I can flank from some out of the way corner I dont have time to let my rifle zoom in that much. :/

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Once you get your ranks up, using traps along with your pistol is a good combo.

Always be trapping though it is key

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hmm. I'll be following this with interest. If the bugs clear up, it looks like a blast.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    New patch that is Live

PATCH 0.6
    PATCH 0.6 going live March 24th

• Fix for achievements crash and re-enabled achievements
    • Added version and patch info at start up
    • Added number of players online in server browser
    • Fixed crash when starting game with Logitech g15 and g19 devices
    • Fixed crash when starting game with flight stick and similar devices connected
    • Added link from HOW TO PLAY to the PC key overview
    • In-game chat fixes
    o Fix for in-game chat bug, no longer need to write something in order to leave chat
    o Removed chat if not using keyboard as main controller (a temporary fix that we will try to address later on)
    • Changed attacking spawn point in Sinners Gulch to prevent spawn camping (Remade red spawn a bit and moved one of the starting kegs to the secondary route).
    • Moved a tree where users could get stuck in Sinners Gulch
    • Added collision to the new shack in Sinners Gulch
    • Fixed some random crashes
    • Fixed greed game mode issues when picking up sacks

its been live since this morning but I like to sleep

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is there any way at all to end up on the same team as your friends? Even when I'm hosting we can't choose to be on the same team. Considering I didn't even buy this, but it had it gifted to me so I'd play with my buddy, I am frustrated.

Also, this gold is TF2 and MW2.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just picked this up, it's pretty fun! Love the wild west theme.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    8v8 is the largest it gets?

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

It does have some single- or two-player mode where you fight against bots. Nothing for regular game modes yet, but I hope they add that.

Oh hey I didn't know that. Might have to pick this up soon then.

brynstar on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I keep seeing this toying with me on my Steam specials. Are people actually playing this? What are your thoughts so far?

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Its good, needs dedicated servers so we don't lose our host and rubberband man everywhere.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    8v8 is the largest it gets?

I honestly don't think I'd want more than that. I was playing TDM for a solid three or four hours and that was 5v5, that seemed the perfect number, even on the open areas. I can't possibly see more than that working on Devil's Pit.

The animation for the characters is really impressive too. Both the guns and the characters have a solid weight behind them, rather than feeling like popguns.

Having played for a while, I enjoyed it a lot once I'd worked out what did what and the layout of the maps. I generally fell between the Deputy and Gunslinger. The Deputy excels at being slightly behind the lines, marking opposing players for your Trappers and Gunslingers to hunt down while providing support fire for your gunslingers.

The Gunslinger is great for when both teams start camping a point and you need to shake things up. Sprint around them, get behind and start fanning bullets into their heads. They're fast, do a lot of damage great for hunting down the enemy flag. He's excellent at short range when you can sneak up on someone and solid at mid to close range when you're aiming.

I didn't play the Trapper at all, the Blaster is interesting, but needs to be partnered up with a Gunslinger or Deputy to play effectively. Also great for clearing out corners and boxes when both sides are popping in and out of cover at short range.

What I did see was a hell of a lot of Trappers in general. Whether people are just more comfortable playing the sniper class I'm not sure, but I saw a ton of people just standing on buildings shooting people and not laying traps. I did team up with a trapper at one point and we littered half the level with traps and sat around on the balcony picking people off. Traps are excellent at killing the other team's momentum and for sticking at the top of a ladder. Eventually someone is going to walk onto it and be stuck there with only their head and shoulders sticking out above the building line.

The fort level, the watermill level and the town where you are on Main Street were my favourites. The Watermill level can get frustrating if they begin to camp your spawn point though but you can jump off the balcony into the water below and follow the stream outside, no one in my games seemed to be checking it.

Definately needs dedicated servers though. Also I couldn't work out how to change teams and it won't auto balance unless one side is outnumbering the other by three players.

Crowning moment of the evening was when we were being camped at the red spawn in Devil's Pit. I worked my way around to where the machine gun in the mine is as a gunslinger, leapt from there all the way across to where the platform is and gunned down three enemies in a blaze of glory, breaking the stalemate.

TL;DR: This game is pretty rad, with a few frustrating problems.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I took the plunge on this. It's great. I'm happy to have Grin back...I mean Fatshark. The music team is the same one they had before and consequently the music in this is pretty great.

My only complaint so far is that the single/co-op game type is limited to one map.

brynstar on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The co-op versus computer is terrible. The AI never varies anything, so it's just march in and kill the same guys over and over.

I think the main reason folks take the trapper so much is the capability for spawn camping. In lots of maps you can kill half the enemy team pretty much as soon as they spawn if they spawn in the base.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

The co-op versus computer is terrible. The AI never varies anything, so it's just march in and kill the same guys over and over.

I think the main reason folks take the trapper so much is the capability for spawn camping. In lots of maps you can kill half the enemy team pretty much as soon as they spawn if they spawn in the base.

Yeah I've noticed that. It's also a bummer that it seems to be limited to one map.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I can usually manage to talk my team into pulling back and getting away from the opposing team's spawn. I mean, Sinner's Gulch. You're supposed to be having a shoot out on main street goddamn it. Not the back alleys.

If my team won't stop camping them I just grab our flag when the guy dies, don't revive him and run back to our spawn. That usually fixes things, especially if you're not marking the other team as a deputy.

Kelor on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anymore patches for this game? Have they added dedicated servers?

tofu on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    They patched in the groundwork for dedicated servers yesterday, so it's only a matter of time now.

Gunslingers and blasters seem to be everywhere since the lag hiccups hurt the deputy and trapper more.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What's the player population like? Are there a good number of servers/people, or is there generally only one or two populated games at a time?

Also, is it still in beta? The price via steam is $15...

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The game has launched, and there's generally enough people playing at all hours. Not a shitload, as many are waiting on dedicated servers.

I played a very low ping game last night and had a blast with the deputy.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's a bit disgusting how easy it is to get camped on some maps. They really need to keep the enemy well away from your spawn. No, I should not die every other time to a blaster tossing in dynamite as I spawn.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you can get into a low ping room this game is super rad. And yet despite the game being incredibly new and having such a small community I still end up in the same room as THAT guy. The one that has to whine about how his team blows and blah blah blah.

Still though, this game is good stuff. Where is the hype? ):

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Getting into a low ping room is not entirely common.

The game is pretty awesome but I'm having issues with a number of maps. Devil's Pit is just an awful series of caves. Prospector's Gulch I just spent the entire round getting camped by Blasters and Trappers. You need to block off the bases so the team can at least regroup.

Any town map is pretty much fuckawesome, however. One map does have camping issues, but the trees help block the other gang's view. Game shines on these maps.

I also spent one game just sniping Trappers on the Deputy. Tagged them both and kept running around taking my shots as they struggled to keep up. Not sure why they insisted on staying there.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    See I love Devil's Pit.

Once you understand the layout of the map and take advantage of the four or five floors of depth the place has it's a lot of fun. If you're a good Gunslinger you can work your way up and around to take out the entire opposing team from behind. The map on Main Street is the best one, followed by the fort.

As an Aussie I have a lot of trouble finding low ping games though. Deputy all the way though, then Gunslinger.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Problem is that a lot of fighting takes place at the three entrances to the cave. When leads to a lot of turning the corner into a blaster or gunslinger. It's a tad dull as a deputy since it results in hiding behind the gun station looking for shots/tags or (other gang) hanging at the higher cave entrance to snipe any person trying to use the gun.

I also have a terrible sense of direction and caves don't help that.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love any game that lets you tag dudes.

Yeah dude sneak around that building, I totally can't see a giant marker over your ass.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I hope to see dedicated servers this week. It would be nice to know if I'm lagging a lot or just sucking at the game.

Probably a combination of the two. But I did get the Quigley achievement today.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This looks surprisingly good. Is it a TF2 mod? Some of the art assets look really similar, and I'm amazed a $15 game is so pretty.

Oh also is it a fun thing I should buy immediately?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nope it is an original game built on that engine that Grin used for Bionic Commando and such

Also you should buy it so I have people to play with when I buy it soon

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET