As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo announces DS successor... IN 3D?!

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Think of it as the Xbox Guide Button, but in this case the Guide Button overlay has a freaking notepad in it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Got an e-mail from my boss over at Amsterdam, he got the word straight from Nintendo that Samus is a playable character in DOA.

Kind of already figured that, but confirmation is confirmation.

Whoa whoa whoa, wait? Would Nintendo really allow this sort of thing? Wasn't Nintendo the one that tried to shut down Suicide Girls for having a Nintendo character or tatoo or something on one of the girls? I can't imagine them allowing Samus to get a DOA treatment..

It's not unprecedented for DOA, this is the series that previously had a Spartan in it. And Nintendo has had its characters in a few non-Nintendo games, including one of the snowboarding games.

I'm not saying I'm surprised the series is doing it, I'm surprised Nintendo is allowing it. If this were Soul Calibur or Street Fighter or something, no problem, but DOA has a 'reputation'.

When did you last look at Soul Calibur?

I guess they could have Samus be in armor at all times.

Yeah, back when Soul Calibur II came out, I had to make sure my parents weren't in the room for Taki or Ivy's super nipples. Woulda' been odd.

Unlockable art from Zero Mission and Fusion

zerozero.jpg

100Complete.jpg

Samus fits in just fine with the other DOA ladies.

Opium on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not sure I can wait the year and a half Nintendo usually has between portable upgrades.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It has back compatibility with DS games right?

Yes it does, and you can transfer DSiware purchases over too (perhaps not immediately at launch).

How do you do that if you trade in your DSi towards a 3DS, which is the whole point of transferring?

Also Kotaku says that it will not be an available feature till after launch. So if there is to be any point to this, It must be some kind of way of registering your current owned DSi software so that you can download it to your 3DS when you get one.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited January 2011
    Nintendo always announces an update for their handhelds the very day after I purchase the older crappier model. It's like they're just waiting for me to crack.

I'm thinking of dubbing it Kirby's Law.

Opium on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Loving that price, but it seems like neither Zelda nor Resident Evil 4.5 (forgot the real name) will be out at launch, so I guess I'll wait until in can walk into a store and come out with one of those and a black 3DS until I get mine. Plus, they'll probably be impossible to find around launch anyway, so there's that.

Neat looking system though, I'm looking forward to getting one eventually.

Darlan on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The streetpass stuff for the 3DS is neat, but pretty damn useless if you live outside of Japan.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Kotaku's 12 minute preview of the interface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrI7uTMjGic

The notepad function is neat. It "minimizes" the game to the top screen so you can take notes regarding what you're seeing onscreen.

Oh god I had to stop watching that halfway through, lest I end up pre-ordering the damn thing...

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heh. APZonerunner and I just spent an hour talking to one another without realising who each other was.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ha, awesome.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Willeth wrote: »
    Heh. APZonerunner and I just spent an hour talking to one another without realising who each other was.
    Love at first sight!

So, I take it you guys were at the event and fiddled around with the 3DSes. Did the d-pad feel awkward to use?

Darlan on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chen wrote: »
    The DS Lite was originally priced at £99 and €149. Now it's £229 and €249. That's more than twice as much in the UK.

The pound really tanked innit? It can't be the VAT increase alone. Now I see why Brits are so cross all over the Internet.

Yeah, as I see it this is mostly because of the pound, anyone could see this coming- I sure did and I'm not British. I've been buying pretty much every game from UK sites since stuff is so damn cheap with the exchange rate (not to mention they do insane deals) and I've been "in fear" that one day publishers would just start increasing their prices or else they'd keep getting fucked in the ass.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fuck me. $348 and $389 are the prices set by the two major game retailers in Australia.

Fuck this shit. I'm not getting a 3DS until prices at the very fucking least reach parity with the US.

Jintor on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    Fuck me. $348 and $389 are the prices set by the two major game retailers in Australia.

Fuck this shit. I'm not getting a 3DS until prices at the very fucking least reach parity with the US.

So... never?

Given that our price has to include GST, while the american tax is added on after, $275 would be the direct cost when the dollar is at parity. $300 would have been fair.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You're killing me here plufim

I want to love this system. Hell, I think I do love this system. But I'm not paying that much without at least a pack-in game or something.

Jintor on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darlan wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »
    Love at first sight!

So, I take it you guys were at the event and fiddled around with the 3DSes. Did the d-pad feel awkward to use?

Imagine using the 360 pad. It's exactly the same, but without a right stick, and the left stick is actually the bastard son of a 360 stick and a PSP stick.

EDIT: The d-pad isn't a bad as the 360. It's standard good Nintendo d-pad.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jintor wrote: »
    You're killing me here plufim

I want to love this system. Hell, I think I do love this system. But I'm not paying that much without at least a pack-in game or something.

Hey, I'm dying here too! Once I heard the $250 price, I kind of expected $350 for us. Compared to the markup we have on all other consoles and handhelds, that would actually be "generous".

But hey, by the time the 3DS comes out the entire fucking country will probably be under water anyway.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mega 64s latest video is pretty funny, if not completely and utterly factually incorrect.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    The DS Lite was originally priced at £99 and €149. Now it's £229 and €249. That's more than twice as much in the UK.

The pound really tanked innit? It can't be the VAT increase alone. Now I see why Brits are so cross all over the Internet.

Yeah, as I see it this is mostly because of the pound, anyone could see this coming- I sure did and I'm not British. I've been buying pretty much every game from UK sites since stuff is so damn cheap with the exchange rate (not to mention they do insane deals) and I've been "in fear" that one day publishers would just start increasing their prices or else they'd keep getting fucked in the ass.

Look - this isn't about exchange rates. If you convert $250 to pounds and add 20%, you get £190, not £230 - and that's with the pound weak. Nintendo still overcharged when the pound was far stronger, and the Wii should've cost £150 or so (instead of the £180 they were asking). It's not about what's the fairest price, it's what the market will bear - Europeans have always suffered higher prices for hardware in particular, and historically have happily paid an unwavering RRP for handhelds.

As for cheap software - DS titles in the UK have an RRP of £30 (the same as a PC game, although these are far more heavily discounted), and $30 in the US. It takes a 33% discount just to occupy the same part of the value spectrum as a US title - the usual result is that everything ends up selling for £10 below the 'recommended' price and everyone's happy. The reason for the heavy discounting in general is that 1) the UK is the second-largest games market in the world behind the US, and 2) so much of our distribution is online via offshore warehouses, which makes exporting to other EU countries incredibly easy and profitable.

I wouldn't be too concerned with rising prices in the medium-term - once you've milked the early adopters, the 3DS will have to reach a mass-market price for hardware and software or end up struggling next to its older sibling. The people buying brain training and pokemon aren't the people who are generally comfortable dropping a huge amounts of money on what is essentially a toy.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Who said anything about exchange rates? All I'm saying is UK people pay more relatively to the DS than mainland Europeans. One of the reasons being the devaluation of the pound. I've been browsing Eurogamer and they seem to be uniformly against buying a 3DS at that price. With all that in mind I think the 3DS will struggle to keep a foothold in the UK.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The quoted post mentioned exchange rates.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pre-ordered my 3DS about an hour ago. God I hope they do a midnight launch.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Akatsuki wrote: »

Look - this isn't about exchange rates. If you convert $250 to pounds and add 20%, you get £190, not £230 - and that's with the pound weak. Nintendo still overcharged when the pound was far stronger, and the Wii should've cost £150 or so (instead of the £180 they were asking). It's not about what's the fairest price, it's what the market will bear - Europeans have always suffered higher prices for hardware in particular, and historically have happily paid an unwavering RRP for handhelds.

As for cheap software - DS titles in the UK have an RRP of £30 (the same as a PC game, although these are far more heavily discounted), and $30 in the US. It takes a 33% discount just to occupy the same part of the value spectrum as a US title - the usual result is that everything ends up selling for £10 below the 'recommended' price and everyone's happy. The reason for the heavy discounting in general is that 1) the UK is the second-largest games market in the world behind the US, and 2) so much of our distribution is online via offshore warehouses, which makes exporting to other EU countries incredibly easy and profitable.

I wouldn't be too concerned with rising prices in the medium-term - once you've milked the early adopters, the 3DS will have to reach a mass-market price for hardware and software or end up struggling next to its older sibling. The people buying brain training and pokemon aren't the people who are generally comfortable dropping a huge amounts of money on what is essentially a toy.

I don't disagree with you, it's just that with the exchange rates compared to the Euro now, UK games seems dirt cheap compared to the euro zone and while that didn't seem like a big disparity before, it does now. It just seems like it could be a problem to publishers considering the Euro and UK market are probably close (and I don't mean in a geographically way). It's just... stupid to buy most games here nowadays.

I never take in account currency when it comes to judging how companies price, I don't think there's ever been a case in recent videogame history where a company just converts the price from Yen or USD into Euros. Don't know how they do it with the pound though, isn't it usually kind of close to a conversion from Euros? Each market (US, Japan, Europe) is its own thing, I don't think prices can be compared simply by exchanging currency, it doesn't make much sense. I know I'm not being very eloquent or economics-savvy, but intuitively it's something that makes sense to me.

Also, Nintendo has been rocking this "price is up to retailers" thing for a while I remember talking to Nintendo's Portuguese PR about it about some mixup with the DSi XL I think. Probably because they were considered guilty of fixing prices in Europe.

EDIT: Also, yeah I guess I have some confusion going on with exchange rates and the devaluation of the pound. Sorry, I've been cramming calculus for ages now, my brain is fried :P

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Are there any other companies that don't bother with a MSRP in Euroland? Is there always this much confusion?

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I imagine people importing from the UK over the years is an issue for NoE. They obviously can't region lock European countries seperately. £39 for a 3DS game is a significant markup when you compare it to DS game prices 6 years ago. No clue how 3DS games are priced in the rest of Europe, but if it stays at €39, then it means Brits are screwed big time. Not necessarily by Nintendo, just in general when it comes to export products, thanks to the depreciation of the pound.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Iwata Asks (3DS interview) has been updated.

I especially like this quote:
    Iwata: I do think it's something that we should pay attention to, but Nintendo is a video game company (laughs), so we tend to focus more on video games.

Although I can see the appeal of all in one devices there is something to be said for Nintendo's approach.

Dritz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I noticed on Tiny Cartridge that Crush is getting a 3D port. That's cool, because that's always one of those games I've wanted to play but never quite got around to doing so.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dritz wrote: »

GLORY :D

As far as importing from UK goes, a DS game usually costs €40, a Wii game €50 and PS3 and 360 €70 (although lately, especially with Nintendo consoles, some games have been launching cheaper). If I wait a while and it doesn't have to be that much, I can get a game from any console at less than 20€ and most times even starting at 10€. The most I remember paying lately for non-Nintendo games is like €18.

The only exception I make are Nintendo games I want at launch because they usually don't drop price significantly and since Nintendo came to Portugal the prices lowered a bit and the games come out one or two days before date.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Miyamoto: You can slip it in at night, and then when the owner wakes up in the morning and turns on the system, a new video is waiting.

Itoi: I think that concept was already there with the Wii console, but I feel like with a handheld, you can enjoy that more easily.

Iwata: I suppose so.

Miyamoto: By the way, we call that kind of delivery "Before You Know It Communication" ("Itsunomani Tsushin" in Japanese. Official English name is "SpotPass.") (laughs). So Nintendo 3DS has StreetPass, which is the name of the tag mode, and "SpotPass."

Ohhh, now it makes sense. SpotPass is WiiConnect24 as it was originally described.

I really hope they partner with movie studios to provide 3D trailers and such.

I wonder if there will be an issue with people being impressed by the effects on 3DS and then being disappointed with the muddier visuals in theaters?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    2 things I just thought of:

1. This will be the third time I have rebought Rayman 2...I love it, and in 3D!

2. If they give me Wall-E on the 3DS, I will die of happiness. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    photo31u.jpg

AAHH

Don't DO that

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Miyamoto: You can say that about game makers too. For example, when it came to Touch Generations, while it was a series different from previous games, the same development teams were making the software. But when it comes to, say, editing 3D videos(26) for Nintendo 3DS that we are planning to distribute using SpotPass, that's all being produced by teams outside of development.

26. 3D videos that we are planning to distribute using SpotPass: In Japan, Nippon Television Network Corporation and Fuji Television Network are each working in partnership with Nintendo to provide daily distribution of free 3D contents created by the networks to Nintendo 3DS using the SpotPass functionality. 3D video distribution plans have not been officially announced outside Japan as of this interview.

Another cool Nintendo feature to never see the light of day outside Japan?

Dritz on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

jaws3ds3.jpg

Believe it.

Looks like it's getting close to new OP time!

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Miyamoto: You can slip it in at night, and then when the owner wakes up in the morning and turns on the system, a new video is waiting.

Itoi: I think that concept was already there with the Wii console, but I feel like with a handheld, you can enjoy that more easily.

Iwata: I suppose so.

Miyamoto: By the way, we call that kind of delivery "Before You Know It Communication" ("Itsunomani Tsushin" in Japanese. Official English name is "SpotPass.") (laughs). So Nintendo 3DS has StreetPass, which is the name of the tag mode, and "SpotPass."

Ohhh, now it makes sense. SpotPass is WiiConnect24 as it was originally described.

I really hope they partner with movie studios to provide 3D trailers and such.

I wonder if there will be an issue with people being impressed by the effects on 3DS and then being disappointed with the muddier visuals in theaters?
    Let's just hope they'll use it well. I'd love if there was an option to subscribe to trailers and certain company/genre's demos and wake up and find a new demo or trailer in the 3DS.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• Options
    edited January 2011

Third? THIRD? I bought it on the PC in 1999, Nintendo 64 in 2000, Dreamcast in 2001, Nintendo DS in 2005, and PSOne (PSP) in 2008.

This'll be my sixth time. Only versions I don't own is the PS2 version because I...don't own a PS2 and the iOS version because the controls are terrible.
    What a fucking terrible TOTP

Edit: Though it will be nice to have a decent portable version finally.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Itoi: Right. You just have to convey that sensation that "It really works!"—rather than a scientific explanation about how two lines of sight align to create a 3D image. (clapping hands together) When you clap your hands together like this and ponder which hand made the sound, you do it because you enjoy the thought process and that mysterious feeling you get from it, not because you're looking for a scientific explanation.

This is exactly how I feel about clapping.

Dritz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Problem here is that Pixar's 3D releases began in 2009 with Up, so unless they plan on going back and converting their back catalog someday you won't see Wall-E in 3D...

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, who's going to start the new thread?

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    My 3D knowledge isn't exactly the greatest but isn't it a fairly minor thing to convert 3D (CGI I guess) stuff to 3D?

I don't think Nintendo is going to pursue movies too hard unfortunately. It feels like they are waiting for studios to approach them rather than pro-actively pursuing deals.

Dritz on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Third? THIRD? I bought it on the PC in 1999, Nintendo 64 in 2000, Dreamcast in 2001, Nintendo DS in 2005, and PSOne (PSP) in 2008.

This'll be my sixth time. Only versions I don't own is the PS2 version because I...don't own a PS2 and the iOS version because the controls are terrible.
    What a fucking terrible TOTP

Edit: Though it will be nice to have a decent portable version finally.

Wait, it's Rayman 2?

What?

What?!

I figured it was just another "Rayman" game with stupid minigames as the main draw. A portable Rayman 2 is sex in cart form.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter