As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS Lite Screen Protectors

The Death Of HilarityThe Death Of Hilarity Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
Well, I made the horrible mistake of not buying a screen protector for my DS Lite when I first got it, and the touch screen shows the horrible scars that Elite Beat Agents and Trauma Center caused. So what can I do to fix this problem? Is there any chance Nintendo would replace the touchscreen (system is under warranty and I've only used the stylus that came with it). If not, is it true that screen protectors can prevent new scratches and hide scratches already existing? If so, what brands would you recommend? Are there any other solutions to my touchscreen problems? It has become so bad that I don't really enjoy playing Trauma Center anymore, because I can feel the scratches on the screen during normal play.

L+TheScythe21+L.png
The Death Of Hilarity on

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hori. Don't get anything else.

Taya on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Taya wrote:

And they're like $5 off of play-asia. Which delivers pretty fast, by the way.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Taya wrote:

And they're like $5 off of play-asia. Which delivers pretty fast, by the way.

Do you mean these?

If so, they're on Amazon for 7.99, which is a reasonable price.

The Death Of Hilarity on
    L+TheScythe21+L.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    my vote goes to the invisibleshield from www.shieldzone.com 14.95 for the screen protectors or 24.95 for the full body shield (which i is well worth it) + free shipping

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Why pay $15 for a screen protector where the Hori one will do a perfect job for less? I put the Hori protectors on my DS and I don't even notice they are there, you can't really ask for more.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I haven't used a screen protector and my touch screen shows no wear after six months.

Captain K on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I swear by Intec, personally.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Why pay $15 for a screen protector where the Hori one will do a perfect job for less? I put the Hori protectors on my DS and I don't even notice they are there, you can't really ask for more.
    i find horis wear out, they're what i originally used but after a month or so of heavy use they would start to get noticeable stylus scratches/smudges on them, my invisible shield however, after around 4 months of useage still looks pristine, + if it ever gets any noticeable wear, they'll replace it under the lifetime warranty
    they also feel much nicer, and more natural under the stylus than the horis imo

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I haven't used a screen protector and my touch screen shows no wear after six months.

Just out of curiosity, do you have Elite Beat Agents (and play on Sweatin JJF), or Trauma Center (near the end of the game)? Because mine was fine until I got to those things and after those it looks like somebody keyed it.

The Death Of Hilarity on
    L+TheScythe21+L.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I played about halfway through Trauma Center.

I dunno, I'm just very gun-shy about pushing the screen too hard, and I always hold the stylus at an angle so the pointer isn't aiming straight down into the screen. I think people let games get the better of them.

Captain K on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you have Elite Beat Agents (and play on Sweatin JJF), or Trauma Center (near the end of the game)? Because mine was fine until I got to those things and after those it looks like somebody keyed it.

Wow I've beaten Ouendan and my screen is fine.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    spinekillsspinekills Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:

i remember thinking the same thing with my ds phat. but my cousin who has always been into pdas and palms said, ya you can't see them now, but eventually you'll notice and the screen will get kinda fuzzy. i got scared and got some for my ds and got some for my ds lite right away when i got it.

spinekills on
  • Options
    WharkWhark Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    spinekills wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

i remember thinking the same thing with my ds phat. but my cousin who has always been into pdas and palms said, ya you can't see them now, but eventually you'll notice and the screen will get kinda fuzzy. i got scared and said "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel Air." I whistled for a cab, and when it came near, The license plate said "fresh" and it had dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cat was rare, But I thought "Nah forget it, Yo home to Bel Air."

I pulled up to the house about seven or eight, and I yelled to the cabby "Yo homes, smell ya later." Looked at my kingdom, I was finally there, To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

On topic, though, I got an iPod shield from that shieldzone invisible shield place, and it works great. I commonly leave it in the same pocket as my keys and I can't see ANY scratches at all. I imagine it would be perfect for stylus use, as long as you apply it correctly. But I imagine you would have to be damn careful applying any screen protector.

Whark on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    i look on anyone who says they have *no* scratches and don't use a screen protector with extreme scepticism, i didnt use a screen protector on my first lite, which went back due to having quite a few stuck pixels, and after my first week of owning it, playing kirby canvas curse and using extreme caution, i mean i treated that screen like it could explode at any moment due to the slightest bit of pressure, and it had scratches, scratches i couldnt see unless i angled it so the light hit it just right, but scratches none the less

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i'm also putting my vote in the invisible shield/shieldzone camp. i have their shields for my iPod and cell phone and they work extremely well. the lifetime guarantee is not bad either.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nobody needs a screen protector and many people can go on for years without ever getting a scratch BUT what if a piece of dirt gets under your stylus one day and leaves a big permanent scratch? It won't happen to everyone but it might to some people. At least with a screen protector you'll know nothing can happen. Piece of mind!

The great thing about Hori is that there is no glue so you can remove them easily and you don't need to worry about voiding your waranty.

Taya on
  • Options
    n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm with Captain K here. my first games for the DS were Meteos and Zoo Keeper, which I played the stuffings out of, and I've got no real scratches in my screen either. I've had it for around eight months or better. I have tiny short scratches, but you can't see those unless you have the screen off and angle it at a light. You can't see them at all when the screen is on. I attribute those to dust or something, although they could be mine. My DS is a fatty though. Do those have stronger screens or something?

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have the Pelican ones and they are fine. The only problem I can see is they may be hard to get off, but I don't ever see myself doing that.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Between my own DS, and hooking up my niece, I've found that Pelican and Intec seem to be good bets but the Mad Catz(sp) ones that my sister in law bought, caused me a lot of trouble.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hori, they're like five bucks, and they're easy to apply and re-apply. I messed up with my top screen, so I had to peel it off and put it back on, cake.

You might not NEED screen protectors, but it's always good to have em. It's like the airbag in your car, you don't plan on getting in a wreck, but it's a great thing to have in case you do.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    I think people let Triti, Pempti, and Savato in Trauma Center get the better of them.

Fixed.

I've had Hori screen protectors for all but maybe one week since getting my Lite and had no scratches until I picked up and got hooked on Trauma Center. Even using the two stylus approach to select tools more quickly, towards the end of the game I had to move my hands so quickly I was getting cramps and feeling it the next morning. It becomes very hard to regulate how much pressure you use in that situation.

EBA is the worst offender though. Spinners to be precise. I ordered 2 sets of additional protectors recently because I ground away too much of the central area on the original protector on spinners. The position I used during some plays really isn't optimal for a light touch, but I shudder to think of doing that without a screen protector.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    www.bestskinsever.com >>>>>>>>>>>>> ShieldZone.

Exact (*exact*) same product, fraction of the cost. And I'm not the only G&T'er that buys from them, I know that for sure, so they're trustworthy.

ShieldZone/InvisibleShield is a rip-off.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thread Ressurect'd!

Sorry, but I need to pick up some screen protectors for my DS and want to make sure I'm getting the right (Hori) kind. After an asstastic experence that resulted in $10 being tossed in the trash with some no-name brand, I don't want to make that mistake again.

So. To clarify; these are the right protectors: http://www.hori.jp/us/products/ndsl/protective_filter/index.html I assume, but I can't say I've ever seen that packaging at any store. I've seen some nintendo licensed ones with stiluses but it doesn't say who makes the protectors. I would guess safest bet would be to have one of you folks who regularly buy the things give me an amazon link or somesuch so I know I'm getting the right thing.

I'm needy. Sorry.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Captain K wrote: »

Me either. Granted I just use it for Pokemans and Brain Ages.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thread Ressurect'd!

Sorry, but I need to pick up some screen protectors for my DS and want to make sure I'm getting the right (Hori) kind. After an asstastic experence that resulted in $10 being tossed in the trash with some no-name brand, I don't want to make that mistake again.

So. To clarify; these are the right protectors: http://www.hori.jp/us/products/ndsl/protective_filter/index.html I assume, but I can't say I've ever seen that packaging at any store. I've seen some nintendo licensed ones with stiluses but it doesn't say who makes the protectors. I would guess safest bet would be to have one of you folks who regularly buy the things give me an amazon link or somesuch so I know I'm getting the right thing.

I'm needy. Sorry.

That's it. If you can find it at a store it's only $7 at Play-Asia - http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b7-49-en-70-196x.html

bruin on
  • Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    get the gamestop ones they fit the screen exactly with no gaps

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png