Options

Have I ruined my chances of passing?

2»

• Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Awk wrote: »
    How come you werent notified of the change? Were you absent? Was it never mentioned during lectures? Go to your academic advisor, she's your friend.

I think the OP has issues of some sort. No professor would ever say "Oh, and the assignment is due RIGHT NOW." or something along those lines.

I have a feeling the prof did mention it but someone wasn't paying attention.

Actually the reaction from the large number of the class was "what he never mentioned this good luck I put mine in extra early".

And yes I did check the venues he said he would use to update any changes regarding assignments or general unit work.

PixelMonkey on
  • Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Awk wrote: »
    How come you werent notified of the change? Were you absent? Was it never mentioned during lectures? Go to your academic advisor, she's your friend.

I'll will after the break period ends can't do much until then.

PixelMonkey on
  • Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Be clear, make your advisor know you arent going anywhere, and not leaving until you have all the available info. Seriously write down all your questions before hand and cross them off as you speak with an advisor. They want to see you succeed, not fuck with you like a shitty prof (not necesarily your instructor).

They will probably get this issue escalade within your faculty. Go ahead.

Awk on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sentry wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Lewisham wrote: »
    What? No.

You can't get failed because your lecturer doesn't like you. Collage doesn't work like that. They usually have two different people marking assignments for this exact reason so even if he did fancy being unprofessional enough to get himself sacked the other person marking your assignment would ask why he marked you so poorly.

I dunno which university you go to, but every one I have been to/worked at, assignments were marked by the lecturer and/or his assistants. It's actually really easy to change someone's grade just because you don't like them.

That said, you have to work hard for the lecturer to remember your face and your name and have pissed them off enough for it to be a problem.

At mine it was marked by two different lecturers. And even if you were in a university that corrupt you could file a complaint that you're being marked unfairly and have your paper marked by someone else. If it came up that he had marked you significantly lower than you should have been questions would be asked of his professionalism.

Bottom line it wouldn't be worth a lecturer risking his career just to give a student he doesn't like a crappy grade.

I don't understand where you went to school. Do you even know how hard it is to fire a professor? Even one without Tenure? Trust me, he's not risking anything by harshly grading a students work.

Not that I think this will happen, but your college experience is NOT how education is typically done in the U.S.

I think that the deviation for qualitative based assignments is one grade. An F paper can't get an A, but it can get a D+. Likewise, if a prof wants to fuck you over, you can get a B instead of an A or a C+ instead of a B. This is the extent of their ability to screw with you though. Beyond that, not even tenure can save them.

This is why some professors institute the miss 2 classes and your final letter grade goes down with each additional absence policy. They won't actually do it, but they have license to fuck you over if they want to (Anyone who has perfect attendance is likely not to piss them off anyway)

Sam on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Lewisham wrote: »
    What? No.

You can't get failed because your lecturer doesn't like you. Collage doesn't work like that. They usually have two different people marking assignments for this exact reason so even if he did fancy being unprofessional enough to get himself sacked the other person marking your assignment would ask why he marked you so poorly.

I dunno which university you go to, but every one I have been to/worked at, assignments were marked by the lecturer and/or his assistants. It's actually really easy to change someone's grade just because you don't like them.

That said, you have to work hard for the lecturer to remember your face and your name and have pissed them off enough for it to be a problem.

At mine it was marked by two different lecturers. And even if you were in a university that corrupt you could file a complaint that you're being marked unfairly and have your paper marked by someone else. If it came up that he had marked you significantly lower than you should have been questions would be asked of his professionalism.

Bottom line it wouldn't be worth a lecturer risking his career just to give a student he doesn't like a crappy grade.

I don't understand where you went to school. Do you even know how hard it is to fire a professor? Even one without Tenure? Trust me, he's not risking anything by harshly grading a students work.

Not that I think this will happen, but your college experience is NOT how education is typically done in the U.S.

I think that the deviation for qualitative based assignments is one grade. An F paper can't get an A, but it can get a D+. Likewise, if a prof wants to fuck you over, you can get a B instead of an A or a C+ instead of a B. This is the extent of their ability to screw with you though. Beyond that, not even tenure can save them.

This is why some professors institute the miss 2 classes and your final letter grade goes down with each additional absence policy. They won't actually do it, but they have license to fuck you over if they want to (Anyone who has perfect attendance is likely not to piss them off anyway)

Tell that to the professors at my college. I know a few people who've had their grades dropped down due to absences because of that exact policy. Mainly in classes that are heavily discussion or participation based (English Lit, Languages, etc...), not in anything lecture based though.

Esh on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    was it 2 absences though? i can understand if there's a fully enforced policy for 4 or 6, but missing 2 sounds ridiculous. I always thought a policy that stringent was mainly to enable professors to give students that piss them off bad grades.

Sam on
  • Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    was it 2 absences though? i can understand if there's a fully enforced policy for 4 or 6, but missing 2 sounds ridiculous. I always thought a policy that stringent was mainly to enable professors to give students that piss them off bad grades.

The Profs at my school will often do it too. Unless you actually talk to them about the reason for your absence immediately before or after, like a responsible adult.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I did try St Johns Wort forawhile but that really didn't seem to help and if anything made me feel a bit unwell.

That's 'cause it's a placebo and doesn't have any real medicative properties, despite all the quacks who promote it. If you haven't talked to your physician about this, do so and get a referral to a psychiatrist, not a psychology. Get a new therapist as well- there's probably nothing wrong with your old one but it's not working so it's time to move on. Some people go through 5 or 6 before they find one they click with, but it's necessary because your relationship with them is extremely important.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png