As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vivid and "Too Real" Nightmares Plaguing My Sleep ( Follow Up )

DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
In September of last year i was put on Vyvanse.

I was taken off of it when it caused me to have compulsive suicidal thoughts on top of rampant paranoia.

A side effect of the drug from the time i was on it, was that i would have vivid and almost too real dreams. Some good some bad.

Ever since i was taken off of it ( quite abruptly ) ive been having nothing but horrible nightmares.

And the vividness, and realness of them is worse than ever.

I was put on Straterra as an alternative to Vyvanse. I dont know if that is the cause.
But it is the only change in medicine i have had since then.

Im sick of waking up from horrible night terrors. I wake up in cold sweats and in tears half of the time from disturbing imagery and real pain sensations and things like that.

Is there anything out there to help with this, or am i just going to have to live with it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Drswords on

• Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Talk to your doctor, if it's severely affecting your quality of life then they should be able to do something about it.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Uh this is some fucked up shit man, that sucks. But it is something that you'd probably be better off discussing with your doctor, and maybe getting a second opinion ASAP.

Robman on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Talk to your doctor ASAP.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Talking to your doctor and not the PA forum should definitely be your first step.

Were you immediately put on the Strattera after discontinuing the Vyvanse?

How old are you?

Both of these drugs are CNS stimulants and simulate psychoses in some people. Once again, you really need to talk to your doctor and let them know you are having these problems especially if you are still having suicidal thoughts. The ADHD might be preferential to the side effects you are experiencing on these medicines but that is something you and your doctor need to decide.

Raif Severance on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You're beyond the help of the internet. Per a basic wiki search, Strattera (Atomxetine) is one of those drugs they're keeping their eyes on (black triangle), because they don't know exactly all of it's psychiatric reactions. It's not something to fool around with. See your doctor, ASAP.

GungHo on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Did you perchance switch drugs during allergy season?

This is a very rare side effect of pseudoephedrine. In any case, though, talk to your doctor.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Talk to doc. Also, ask about getting a sleep study done. They might find some sort of physiological trigger that can be treated.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Did you perchance switch drugs during allergy season?

This is a very rare side effect of pseudoephedrine. In any case, though, talk to your doctor.

Hey! My avatar!

If your doctor doesn't provide help for you or properly address your situation, you have the right to talk to another doctor to get more opinions.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well i took everyone's advice. I called my doctor. He immediately took me off of the Strattera.

Last night... i had normal sleep. No night terrors.

I guess everything is okay now.

Unfortunately i may not have an ADHD alternative now.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What you're experiencing is a normal part of treating illness. Everyone reacts to different treatments differently, and unfortunately it takes some educated experimentation to determine a type and dosage which is helpful but also has manageable side-effects. Even therapy comes in different stripes and methods, and not everyone is suited for everything.

Keep working with your doctor and he'll do his best to get you on the right track.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What you're experiencing is a normal part of treating illness. Everyone reacts to different treatments differently, and unfortunately it takes some educated experimentation to determine a type and dosage which is helpful but also has manageable side-effects. Even therapy comes in different stripes and methods, and not everyone is suited for everything.

Keep working with your doctor and he'll do his best to get you on the right track.
    Yeah, this. Going through three or four medicines trying to treat ADHD really isn't all that unusual. Don't be discouraged.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BetelguesePDXBetelguesePDX Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

Yeah, this. Going through three or four medicines trying to treat ADHD really isn't all that unusual. Don't be discouraged.

Pretty much the same goes for all psychiatric medications. Be patient and you will find the one that works for you.

BetelguesePDX on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah... brain chemistry being what it is, everyone reacts to things differently. You could put Thanatos on something and it'd work just fine, but if you put me on it, I'd think was the Devil. You'll eventually get to something managable. It just takes time and a lot patience. Don't get discouraged.

GungHo on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am in no way saying that you shouldn't keep talking to your doctor and I know you said you fixed it somewhat but I thought I would relate a story from a friend.

I had a friend who had bad recurring nightmares/night terrors until he started attempting to control them through lucid dreaming.

For those not aware the wiki article states
    Wikipedia wrote:
    A lucid dream is a dream in which the sleeper is aware that he or she is dreaming. When the dreamer is lucid, he or she can actively participate in and often manipulate the imaginary experiences in the dream environment. Lucid dreams can seem extremely real and vivid depending on a person's level of self-awareness during the lucid dream.

Some people can learn to do this and some cant. I could never do it although I tried to learn.

If you do the research on this and can learn the skill, this may help you in the future if you get placed on another medication that affects your dreams.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Have you quit smoking marijuana recently?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Have you quit smoking marijuana recently?

I havent tried weed since i was 14 ( um... 9 years ago ). So no.

As far as ADHD goes, im probably going to have to try another stimulant. I dont know who said Strattera was a stimulant but as far as my doctor told me, it was the non stimulant medication. So if it was a stimulant too then my doctor is a complete fuck up.

Over all im just going to probably have to deal with it unmedicated. There are too many risk factors associated with treating the symptoms.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Strattera (atomoxetine) is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor... effectively it increases the amount of NE available to stimulate your andrenergic receptors. It may not be as stimulating as the amphetamine-like ADHD drugs but it will still increase heart rate and cause insomnia or mania in some people.

Just look at the FDA medication guide: http://pi.lilly.com/us/strattera-ppi.pdf

Those side-effects really resemble a CNS stimulant to me.

Raif Severance on