As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scott Pilgrim: TAG ALL BOOK 6 SPOILERS!

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    I guarantee if the ending is stupid/ and or convoluted it will end with a panel of scott being completely unable to understand what just happened

and then he will want food

Most likely bacon.

_J_ on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I just finished book one yesterday

Yeah that was one of the funniest and greatest things I'd ever read

Rent on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    So I just finished book one yesterday

Yeah that was one of the funniest and greatest things I'd ever read

Now you've got four more books full of awesome to go. You lucky bastard.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just curious, would Scott Pilgrim still be good if you cut out all the video game references?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't know. Scott is pretty much defined by his references. I mean he could be nerdy about something else. But it would change the series into something entirely different creature.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Just curious, would Scott Pilgrim still be good if you cut out all the video game references?

Absolutely.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    NeoToma wrote: »
    I don't know. Scott is pretty much defined by his references. I mean he could be nerdy about something else. But it would change the series into something entirely different creature.

Hm. Because while I enjoy a good pop culture reference, things that revolve entirely around pop culture references annoy me. Combine that with me absolutely loathing the art style (which I could potentially get over if the story's awesome enough), and I'm guessing this book isn't for me.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Michael Cera's whole schtick is awkward '70s teen. Even when it's not appropriate, like in Youth in Revolt. I don't think he knows how to play self-possessed characters.

I know we're 9 pages in, but I just want to say this:

I am plain sick and tired of Michael Cera being used in everything these days and playing the same role.

Cristo on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Hm. Because while I enjoy a good pop culture reference, things that revolve entirely around pop culture references annoy me. Combine that with me absolutely loathing the art style (which I could potentially get over if the story's awesome enough), and I'm guessing this book isn't for me.

The video game references are fairly ancillary. The real draw is the characters.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010

It would be a qualitatively different thing.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cristo wrote: »
    Michael Cera's whole schtick is awkward '70s teen. Even when it's not appropriate, like in Youth in Revolt. I don't think he knows how to play self-possessed characters.

I am plain sick and tired of Michael Cera being used in everything these days and playing the same role.

Have you seen Youth in Revolt?

I don't think you have, or you wouldn't be saying this.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

That's like asking if Airplane would be any good if you cut out all the disaster movie references.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Actually I found it really funny outside of the pop culture references. The random jumpcuts, the ironic "titlecard" esque announcements, the description of Scott and Wallace's room, pure hilarity. Also Scott is hilariously clueless "I got a mail! :mrgreen:"

Rent on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cristo wrote: »

Have you seen Youth in Revolt?

I don't think you have, or you wouldn't be saying this.

No but I've seen him in everything else and he really fucking pissed me off in Nick and Norah's Infinite Fucking Borelist

Cristo on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Actually I found it really funny outside of the pop culture references. The random jumpcuts, the ironic "titlecard" esque announcements, the description of Scott and Wallace's room, pure hilarity. Also Scott is hilariously clueless "I got a mail! :mrgreen:"

It doesn't revolve around pop-culture.

I don't get why people are so cagey about reading a pretty well-liked book that costs like $5 now. Just read it. Hell, read it for free in a store the next time you're in one.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I saw this trailer, than immediately went out and read the books. They were all fantastic and now I can't wait for the final book and the movie.

What is also super awesome is that Anamanaguichi is doing the music for the game, which makes it a guaranteed buy in my book.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm ashamed I haven't read this before now. Definitely going to fix that.

Ruby Rhod on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I noticed today I have a facebook friend that could probably pass for Scott Pilgrim, and it looks like he's dating Knives Chau.
    17040_1186528982838_1216680109_30472491_1439984_n.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The debut of the trailer just made me want to re-read/finish the available books. I'm about to finish re-reading Vol. 3, then I will seek out 4 and 5 so I can finally be caught up. But yeah, great series, most definitely better than I ever expected. I am optimistic that based on what we've seen of the trailer so far, Wright totally understands how to make this work on film. And the things we haven't seen yet (i.e. the descriptive panels of settings or characters) will hopefully make it into the film intact. I imagine shots similar to the "Ikea" sequence from Fight Club for those situations.

As for Cera, my exposure to him has been somewhat limited, since I'm very picky about comedies. So thankfully, I'm not quite as burned out on him as others appear to be. Whether or not he was the best choice for the role remains to be seen, though.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So I noticed today I have a facebook friend that could probably pass for Scott Pilgrim, and it looks like he's dating Knives Chau.

You don't have any friends who like to rollerblade, do you?

Rent on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

You don't have any friends who like to rollerblade, do you?

Hmm.

*taps chin*

Not that I know of.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man I look more like SP then that guy.

Also, Rent, If i make a Kim Pine Av, can we get drunk and make out?

[tiny]Or just make out?[/tiny]

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Man I look more like SP then that guy.

Also, Rent, If i make a Kim Pine Av, can we get drunk and make out?

[tiny]Or just make out?[/tiny]

Sounds good

Rent on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    maximum, that looks like a frat-boy Scott Pilgrim but not quite on the mark.

So last night the power went out and has been out 'til this afternoon. I spent some of the time reading through SP again. A theory came to mind at the end of book 5.
    Kim Pine is probably out tracking down Ramona, and if not that runs into her and convinces her to come back or do something else important. I don't think their getting buddy-buddy in book 5 was without meaning. 'Course it could just be build up to them running away together as lesbians.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

So last night the power went out and has been out 'til this afternoon. I spent some of the time reading through SP again. A theory came to mind at the end of book 5.
    Kim Pine is probably out tracking down Ramona, and if not that runs into her and convinces her to come back or do something else important. I don't think their getting buddy-buddy in book 5 was without meaning. 'Course it could just be build up to them running away together as lesbians.

Surprise ending for Book 6.
    Kim Pine defeats the now-Evil Scott Pilgrim in order to knock boots with Ramona.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

Surprise ending for Book 6.
    Kim Pine defeats the now-Evil Scott Pilgrim in order to knock boots with Ramona.

I would be okay with this.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ...You're not kidding. Okay, let me break it down for you.

We have a mutual friend, see, and she-
    Ahh, screw it...
    This is Gideon. When would it be convenient for you to die?

Rent on
  • Options
    Momento MoriMomento Mori Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So eerie Scott Pilgrim story time! Last week was walking around Pike's Place market, Seattle for those of you from other climes. While dodging the tourists and Children's International promoters I ran into a girl. A rather familiar girl... She had hair thingies and a vaguely Japanese cut. So then it was double take time. Army surplus chic check, blue hair check, roller-blades check, package in hand double check. All weird but her bag her bag will haunt me to my end, it was round and had a red star on it.

So I did the only rational thing to do and said "Are you ok Ramona?" The annoyed look on her face turned to confused. "Yeah I'm ok. Do I know you?" She was tuning full on weird face now. As in who is this creep weird face. But I really had to know, "So sorry about that, but you are Ramona right?" "Yeah I am..." she replied. I was experiencing full on goose bumps at this point, but figured I would play along. "So were is Scott?" I shot back playfully. "Who's Scott she replied?" I was dumbfounded, "You know Scott Pilgrim?" She looked at me as if I had the crazies again. "Ok, glad your alright let us never speak of this again," I concluded. It seemed the only appropriate way to end this bizarre meeting. She nodded at me and rolled off down first street. So yeah coincidence is a goose, also I really hope I don't run into her at a Capital Hill house party, because I can only take so much Media to life bleed.

Momento Mori on
    tumblr_m367g22SJP1qb9sxqo4_250.gif
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Somebody was fuckin' with ya, man.

Jintor on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You sound like Grant Morrison and Constantine.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You sound like you're writing fanfiction.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No, they didn't have sex.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Guess I forgot to post this but I just realized the other day the whole premise is a reinforcement of that old "guy pursues girl, has to go do this this and this to impress her or else she'll reject him" schtick which I had kinda hoped we were over as a society. Not just because I'm a guy and I'm cheap but because I think a healthy relationship is more about equal give and take and not weird power games. Still, it looks like a load of fun and a half and I love Shaun of the Dead and Hotfuzz so I'm definitely going to go see it and laugh my ass off. Still, it irks me to see the kinda of shenanigans like She's Out of My League going on in Hollywood.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Read the books first. You'll appreciate it more.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

If they bring up this issue in the books but not in the movie then I shouldn't have to do some supplementary reading to not be annoyed about it.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    Guess I forgot to post this but I just realized the other day the whole premise is a reinforcement of that old "guy pursues girl, has to go do this this and this to impress her or else she'll reject him" schtick which I had kinda hoped we were over as a society. Not just because I'm a guy and I'm cheap but because I think a healthy relationship is more about equal give and take and not weird power games. Still, it looks like a load of fun and a half and I love Shaun of the Dead and Hotfuzz so I'm definitely going to go see it and laugh my ass off. Still, it irks me to see the kinda of shenanigans like She's Out of My League going on in Hollywood.

I took that as more of a mario reference than what you're saying. Or maybe a blend of the two.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    mariobitch.jpg

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mariobitch.jpg

rofl awesome

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Maybe I just wasn't trying to look at it on a symbolic level like you seem to have, but I figured it was more like
    "Yeah, I have seven evil ex-boyfriends and as long as we're together they're going to want to kill you. So, to be together, you have to defeat them."

Also, you know, giant video game meta-reference.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

If they bring up this issue in the books but not in the movie then I shouldn't have to do some supplementary reading to not be annoyed about it.

the movie is supplementary viewing.

NotYou on