As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scott Pilgrim: TAG ALL BOOK 6 SPOILERS!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ours laughed.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was at inception last week and the theater groaned after seeing his name. It's amazing what a bad rap he has with every-day folk.

NotYou on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Adam Quigley from /film reviewed SPvsTW:

Perfect KO

Plenty of trolls in the comments section.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My theater didn't moan at M. Night Shamalan...

:(

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    jbraggjbragg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Simon Pegg just tweeted:
    All you folks in the US and Canada, get yo' asses out to the movies tonight and go make Scott Pilgrim No.1. It will own your eyes and brain.

Which makes me think "No. 1, so there IS going to be a No. 2??!!!" Or perhaps I'm just reading into it too much.

jbragg on
    "Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." - Good Omens"
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    jbragg wrote: »
    Simon Pegg just tweeted:
    All you folks in the US and Canada, get yo' asses out to the movies tonight and go make Scott Pilgrim No.1. It will own your eyes and brain.

Which makes me think "No. 1, so there IS going to be a No. 2??!!!" Or perhaps I'm just reading into it too much.

He is saying go make it #1 a the box office

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I expected Simon and Nick to be in the film at some point.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I expected Simon and Nick to be in the film at some point.

I expected them to be the vegan police

ronzo on
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After seeing Hot Fuzz and then hearing about this movie a while back, I immediately thought Simon Pegg would be perfect as Scott and Wallace's landlord.

BigBear on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Reading the books today to get ready for the movie. Just started the 3rd book and am wondering (though I won't read until I'm finished) if someone who has seen the movie could mention any major stuff that doesn't make it into the film version.

Also, is there somewhere to see this animation tie-in? I saw the teaser for it, but I want to see the whole thing.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also, is there somewhere to see this animation tie-in? I saw the teaser for it, but I want to see the whole thing.

http://video.adultswim.com/promos/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-animation.html

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Back from seeing the movie.

It was alright, I guess. The editing is really what the movie had going for it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the more I think about this movie, the more I feel it had all the pizazz and fun of the comics but none of the substance. it was really fun and I think I'm going to go see it again in the next week, but it had zero depth and nuance. Some of the best moments in the comics were the quiet, contemplative panels where the characters are allowed to breathe. The movie is a fun adventure, but I kind of want to consider it as a companion to the books rather than treating it completely on its own merits.

oh, and i'll say it again, Michael Cera was a horrible sucky sucktastic choice for scott. Nothing about him was as awesome as it should have been.

As for the exes, Chris Evans was a surprising stand out. I think I liked his character's persona the best.

Guek on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lucas Lee was possibly my favorite part of the movie

The only thing standing between me and her are the two minutes it'll take for me to kick your ass!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am conflicted about this movie.

I really enjoyed watching the movie. But, even having only read half of the comics, the movie felt like it was lacking many of the subplots and resulting characterizations that made the comics so strong. I try to avoid comparing adaptations to the original because I want to evaluate them on their own strengths and weaknesses.

For instance, aside from the subplot argument, one of my bigger complaints is that Michael Cera never quite embodies the super happy clueless 'awesome' Scott of the comic. I think overall he does a good job but he never quite gets to where I thought he would. But, is this just an adaptation difference? It doesn't necessarily harm the movie. But I still have this little niggle in me that misses it.

For now, I will say I enjoyed the movie. I definitely enjoyed the movie. It was energetic and kinetic and funny and visually exciting. (Perhaps this disparity between the movie's flawlessly-executed visual style and Michael Cera's subdued acting is what causes my niggle?) I compare watching this movie to attending a rock concert. Its loud and flashy and extreme. I liked it. I just liked the comics more.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

The only thing standing between me and her are the two minutes it'll take for me to kick your ass!

Spoilered because it's better to see it fresh:
    Playing the Universal theme when he walked out of his trailer was genius.

Also, that Seinfeld joke was totally out of left field, but also surprisingly funny.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

Spoilered because it's better to see it fresh:
    Playing the Universal theme when he walked out of his trailer was genius.

Also, that Seinfeld joke was totally out of left field, but also surprisingly funny.

That was the one time in the theater that everyone laughed in unison.

All five of us.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    All 9 at my showing laughed at
    I need to pee on her
    But I was the only person who laughed at
    You had a sexy phase?

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    this movie had a better ending than the comic

this movie was awesome as hell in every way

end. of. story.

Rent on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Son, you are disappoint.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just saw the movie.

My only gripe is that the movie should of been a 3 parter that went more in depth into the characters.

They should of went more indepth into Romona's and Scott's past relationships. The movie really needed Lisa, and Envy should of been a bigger role.

But, it was still a fun as hell movie.

And, holy smokes, Envy and Roxanne was freaking hot in this movie.

Oh, and Gideon wasn't a big enough dick in the film.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2010
    TDawg wrote: »
    I am conflicted about this movie.

I really enjoyed watching the movie. But, even having only read half of the comics, the movie felt like it was lacking many of the subplots and resulting characterizations that made the comics so strong. I try to avoid comparing adaptations to the original because I want to evaluate them on their own strengths and weaknesses.

For instance, aside from the subplot argument, one of my bigger complaints is that Michael Cera never quite embodies the super happy clueless 'awesome' Scott of the comic. I think overall he does a good job but he never quite gets to where I thought he would. But, is this just an adaptation difference? It doesn't necessarily harm the movie. But I still have this little niggle in me that misses it.

For now, I will say I enjoyed the movie. I definitely enjoyed the movie. It was energetic and kinetic and funny and visually exciting. (Perhaps this disparity between the movie's flawlessly-executed visual style and Michael Cera's subdued acting is what causes my niggle?) I compare watching this movie to attending a rock concert. Its loud and flashy and extreme. I liked it. I just liked the comics more.

I suspect that a lot of the magic of the books cannot be captured via live-action. It seems like it would be perfect for an animated film, because it's easier to capture things like Scott's hyper-kinetic behavior with a cartoon character.

Of course, I still have not seen the film, so I don't want to say anything definitive. I suspect I will like it a lot. Just hypothesizing.

FWIW, I think the 4 minute animation on AS nailed it perfectly.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just saw it!

Review, beware spoilers:

This movie is not without it's faults. Just to name one, it never really establishes why Scott and Ramona are even together beyond Scott's superficial crush. In terms of story, it is almost entirely inferior to the books.

On the other hand, the editing and cinematography are, IMHO, revolutionary. The action scenes are some of the best this year. And it does add some things that are improvements over the source material, such as the stunt doubles or the way the 1UP boots Scott back to a save point instead of just having him get back up on the spot.

So yeah. You should go see this movie. It is awesome. But it is not a replacement for the books so you should go read those if you haven't.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This seems like one of those things where a lot of the movie is shown in trailers...but I haven't seen
    Ramona and Knives' fight at all.
    Is it in the film?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    This seems like one of those things where a lot of the movie is shown in trailers...but I haven't seen
    Is it in the film?
    Yes, but it's moved to the end, during the climactic fight between Scott and Gideon.
    It appears, at least initially, to be Scott and Knives vs. Gideon and Ramona.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Is it in the film?

The answer is behind this spoiler.
    Technically yes. Only the fight occurs at the end of the film, when Scott is confronting Gideon.

On the one hand, I appreciated that they tried to spin things up and make them different, which included moving some stuff around. The 1up shows up at a different place, Envy's weak-point is moved to be Roxanne's weak point (and is how she is destroyed, which was an awkward scene by the way), and the outfits for the one gig Sex Bob-omb played shows up at the end. But on the other hand, it didn't seem to be done aside from making things seem different. Like they were great punches that they wanted to retain without retaining their original scenes.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I just saw it!

Review, beware spoilers:

This movie is not without it's faults. Just to name one, it never really establishes why Scott and Ramona are even together beyond Scott's superficial crush. In terms of story, it is almost entirely inferior to the books.

On the other hand, the editing and cinematography are, IMHO, revolutionary. The action scenes are some of the best this year. And it does add some things that are improvements over the source material, such as the stunt doubles or the way the 1UP boots Scott back to a save point instead of just having him get back up on the spot.

So yeah. You should go see this movie. It is awesome. But it is not a replacement for the books so you should go read those if you haven't.

Pretty much this

Jintor on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    man i finally saw the movie and can finally end my blackout of the scott pilgrim threads. movie was great.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Haven't read the novels, but I found the movie incredibly funny and Scott and Ramona quite cute as characters. Like the cast of characters and the visual style of the film was really nice, if the story seemed a bit cramped.

Pretty sure I walked down a number of the streets in the film. Gonna have to doublecheck in September.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    One criticism of the movie is that it never really establishes why Scott falls for Romona outside of she is the "girl of his dreams". Honestly, I don't think the books give a reason beyond "dream girl" either, so what did I miss?

What reasons were there for Scott to fall for Romona in the books?

durax on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I searched the thread for descriptions of the original ending, and all I'm getting are single sentences about who Scott ends up with instead. Where can I find a more account of how things were changed between the original and the final cut?
    One criticism of the movie is that it never really establishes why Scott falls for Romona outside of she is the "girl of his dreams". Honestly, I don't think the books give a reason beyond "dream girl" either, so what did I miss?

There are never really "reasons" for a person to fall in love with another person, are there? And if there were, enjoying the same stuff would be the first thing people think of, and they do have similar interests.

My only gripe was that Ramona didn't seem into Scott at all until they ended up at her apartment, whereas the comic spent a bit more time showing her warm up to him during the first date.

After that, though, I more or less bought them as a young couple going through the early stages of a relationship. Yeah, they never seem like they're deeply and madly in love, but they've only known each other for a few days by the time the film ends anyway.
    And with the way they changed the ending to make it so Scott is fighting for himself, not to be with Ramona, it's much less essential for them to be in "true love." Furthermore, when they go off together after the fight, it's described as a fresh start rather than a continuation of their deep relationship. To me, that's proof enough that the film is ultimately about Scott earning the chance to move on from his last relationship and take a chance with Ramona, not about him risking life and limb to be with the love of his life. He has no reason to think that she's the one for him, and that's why the audience doesn't feel the same way either, but by the end they know enough about each other to think it's worth it to give a relationship a try.

The book, on the other hand, has a completely different take due to the fact that it takes place over years and Scot and Ramona have been in a long-term relationship by the time everything wraps up.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I literally looked like hey redid the last 4 minutes of the film. It really came out of nowhere and I think it would be a stronger movie if it did with a Knives gets Scott ending.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    durax wrote: »

Initially that is pretty much it, he sees her in his dreams, then sees she is real and goes after her.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also, I don't see how putting him with Knives could have worked without some major changes.
    Scott is still into Ramona more than Knives by the time the film ends. So, either he suddenly decides he likes Knives better and she takes him back despite how he treated her, or Ramona dumps Scott and essentially pushes him into Knives' arms. In the latter case, the ending is even worse because Scott's rebounding from Ramona by dating Knives, which is exactly what he was doing at the beginning of the film.

Neither scenario feels right.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I didn't feel that way
    It felt like the whole ending fight thing and Ramona saying "You two make a good combo" it was like Scott learned something and he did. IT felt emotionally right to me that he was gonna stay with Knives. I still like that he went with Ramona because them walking into subspace together as they played Ramona was beautiful.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MarioG wrote: »
    I didn't feel that way
    It felt like the whole ending fight thing and Ramona saying "You two make a good combo" it was like Scott learned something and he did. IT felt emotionally right to me that he was gonna stay with Knives. I still like that he went with Ramona because them walking into subspace together as they played Ramona was beautiful.
    It'd be different if he realized it himself, provided it happened early enough. If Ramona essentially tells him who he should be with, though, it makes him a little too passive for my taste, even if he takes it well and the new relationship isn't just a rebound after losing Ramona.

Plus, Knives accepting Scott back that easily would kind of negate the personal growth she showed when she told Scott to go after Ramona.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Guek wrote: »
    the more I think about this movie, the more I feel it had all the pizazz and fun of the comics but none of the substance. it was really fun and I think I'm going to go see it again in the next week, but it had zero depth and nuance. Some of the best moments in the comics were the quiet, contemplative panels where the characters are allowed to breathe. The movie is a fun adventure, but I kind of want to consider it as a companion to the books rather than treating it completely on its own merits.

oh, and i'll say it again, Michael Cera was a horrible sucky sucktastic choice for scott. Nothing about him was as awesome as it should have been.

As for the exes, Chris Evans was a surprising stand out. I think I liked his character's persona the best.

What's funny about this is the part in the end where a guy in the crowd is heard saying "The comic was way better than the movie."

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    durax wrote: »

It's pointed out several times in the book that Scott and Ramona are actually very similar. For example, book ending spoilers:
    When it turns out that Ramona just left to think things through for a couple of days, but ended up wasting like three months watching TV and playing games.

Also there's just a lot more them acting as a couple: going to parties together, doing stuff, etc.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really liked the movie, myself.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, can I come in here and talk about how awesome this movie was?

Also, I just bought the score AND soundtrack.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg