As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PA: Adventures 3?

TeburninatorTeburninator Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Penny Arcade Games
I am reminded of this quote from chuck, "I won't be at PAX this year, so I need some of you good people to do me a favour. Find these Hothead/GabeTycho lads and demand, threaten, plead, carp, quibble, complain, extort, make an offer they can't refuse, choke their rivers with your dead, shit do what you have to do, but get them to make PAA Episode 3. In return for this, I'll buy you a pint the next time I see you." It can be found in the thread about episode 3. SO those of you at PAX have a duty! Find what you can about the game and report back to your comrads! I'll be sure to notify Chuck that you want that Pint!:lol:

Teburninator on

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Houn wrote: »

And i can feel the vigor in my limbs. Though it is not the 'vigor' I was hoping for... thanks for the info, I guess D: . *huge sigh*

Teburninator on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    =/

=/

Xaquin on
  • Options
    BonemerangBonemerang Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow they waited that long to tell us that?

Bonemerang on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This breaks my heart, but i'll early await the finish to the story. The games were so damn good. I was hoping it was going to be like, "Well finish the last 2 then just release them on a disk" or something to release it all in one fell swoop but alas, looks like we'll be reading the finish not playing it.

Thanks Mike and Jerry and Hothead for a wonderful 2 episodes though.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am greatly saddened by this news. I was hoping they would have revealed a revamped Game system for Episode 3 & 4 not this. I weep at the loss of a series that could have been great if only it had been finished in game format.

Artoria on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I admit, I never bought either game. I was waiting for them all to be released and bundled, largely because I hate cliffhangers. Blame the HL2 Eps.

I suppose I can buy them all now...

Houn on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    5 bucks each on steam, Houn. Get at the fun while you can. *sigh*

Teburninator on
  • Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was just convincing a friend who'll be at PAX to do the same when I saw the Joystiq article.
    That's a shame alright, bit irritated that Khoo couldn't have mentioned it when he posted earlier.

As for the pints, I'll be drowning my sorrows in various Dublin pubs over the weekend.
    Enjoy PAX-East anyway. :(

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Crap.

Well, it's not like we didn't know at this point, but it still sucks all the same.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    KodmaniacKodmaniac Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Seriously, they made us wait for this announcement? Geez.

Kodmaniac on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i don't get why they waited so long to announce this, everybody in this forum pretty much figured it out already

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MaratanosMaratanos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm sorry, but there is almost certainly some major aspect of this drama which we are still not privy to. Jerry, Mike, and Hothead, none of them are stupid people. I simply do not find it plausible to believe that this is what they had in mind when they said that they had a good reason to wait for the news. Either something major happened between then and now and we don't know what it is, or we still haven't seen the other shoe drop. Personally, I hope for the latter but suspect the former.

Maratanos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My guess is it was likely a simple manpower vs money issue. Hothead has limited staff, so while they were all working on Deathspank, the PA Crew likely held out hope that there'd be resources to get in the next PAA game.

Reality sets in, both sides realize there's simply no resources to devote, PAA wasn't a huge cash cow anyway, so it was shelved.

That is my speculation. No drama, just two entities trying to work together, and keeping the dream alive long after it became clear it was dead.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No, that doesn't make sense. The phrasing Jerry used ("vigor") very clearly indicates that he had some piece of information in mind at that time which people would be happy to hear when they found it out, because it would be a positive, logical, yet non-disastrous rationale why there had been no news. Now of course it's possible that they were making crap up to stave off the angry mob, but I really don't think that that's the sort of thing Jerry or Mike would do if they could help it. Hence my suspicion that there's some piece of information we're still missing.

EDIT: to clarify, none of this means I am deluding myself into believing the game will eventualy get made. It almost certainly won't (I say almost because it's possible that the idea will get picked up again a very long time from now). But I do think that we aren't seeing the complete picture as to precisely WHY the game won't be being made.

Maratanos on
  • Options
    xolotlxolotl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay, so next question: Can we get DRM-free versions of Eps 1 and 2, as Greenhouse is almost certainly dead at this point, as well? I know that there are cracked versions of the Windows versions out there (and presumably it shouldn't be overly difficult to crack the Linux versions) but it'd be nice to have something more official.

xolotl on
  • Options
    FoxeyFoxey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What a downer.

Waiting all this time just to have it cancelled? With vague promiscuous promises of potentiality along the way? One of the worst things a company can do is mislead it's buyers and that's pretty much what they've done for the past year. I'm sure they've had their reasons, but unless we hear them, which I doubt, then it basically feels like being sucker punched. I was getting all hyped over the past couple of weeks, feeling 'vigor'ous and now I'll be sad all day.

I wish I had the intestinal fortitude to completely ignore DeathSpank now. Not because they are not making Episode Three, but because they've strong us along for a year rather than being upfront and saying they were having problems and issues and it wasn't going to happen. I would much rather have gone through the year expecting nothing, to be pleasantly surprised if it did come out, instead of having various stages of excitement only to get a swift kick to the pillock region now.

Foxey on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Maybe I'm an idiot and I don't really understand how game development works. But why can't PA shop around for another development studio? Was there some contract signed with Hothead where they have the exclusive rights to creating Penny Arcade Adventures or something?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm an idiot and I don't really understand how game development works. But why can't PA shop around for another development studio? Was there some contract signed with Hothead where they have the exclusive rights to creating Penny Arcade Adventures or something?

Well, there may be some rights-type-stuff involved, of course, but I'd bet that a bigger problem is just time/effort. Producing additional episodes through Hothead would have been far less work than having to build everything from scratch with a different company, and I doubt they'd look forward to going through that whole long process again, when their energies are clearly focused elsewhere. It'd be pretty difficult psychologically to work up the enthusiasm to get that massive ball rolling again with someone else. (That's my theory, anyway.)

xolotl on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm as big of a Penny Arcade fan as the next forum member, but I have to admit it's pretty weak for the two creators of this website, the strip, Child's Play, let alone PAX to puss out and let their inaugural game go out and die because Hothead is working on Deathspank.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I'm as big of a Penny Arcade fan as the next forum member, but I have to admit it's pretty weak for the two creators of this website, the strip, Child's Play, let alone PAX to puss out and let their inaugural game go out and die because Hothead is working on Deathspank.

Contrariwise, (to play the advocate here) the creators of this website, the strip, Child's Play, and PAX may have simply decided that doing the website, the strip, Child's Play, and PAX were more important.

xolotl on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Meh. I just bought them a few minutes ago on PSN for old time's sake. I enjoyed 1 and played through half of 2. I was enjoying where the story was going, so it's a pity 3 is kaput.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Maratanos wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but there is almost certainly some major aspect of this drama which we are still not privy to. Jerry, Mike, and Hothead, none of them are stupid people. I simply do not find it plausible to believe that this is what they had in mind when they said that they had a good reason to wait for the news. Either something major happened between then and now and we don't know what it is, or we still haven't seen the other shoe drop. Personally, I hope for the latter but suspect the former.

Yeah I suspect there's more to it as well

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DoraBDoraB Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It stinks, I guess, but what can you do? I think the prolonged radio silence on this was probably due to what some might call "postponing the inevitable". It sounds like they might have suspected they were going to have to cancel it for a long time, but they held off announcing it as long as possible because there was a chance something might still come through. That's not really something you can tell crowds of people at a convention after so long, however, so it looks like they decided to stop dragging things out and put a bullet in it. I'm sure they don't like it any more than we do.

That being said, I really enjoyed the games and the story, but I don't think I'll be picking up a book about it. Part of the charm is the immersiveness and creating your own character, finding all the weird little descriptions in the environment. Reading about Joe Blow going on adventures with the company isn't going to be as fun.

DoraB on
  • Options
    agracruagracru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I appreciated Jerry's and Mike's honesty about this yesterday during the QnA. I would definitely rather not have an Episode 3 at all than have an Episode 3 that's just half-assed. It's unfortunate, but at the same time it shows off what kind of standards Jerry and Mike have for themselves.

agracru on
    You can't debate Ann Coulter because it would be like debating a Dadaist on why the sugarsnorklefickle 70,300.00 burglefish$ camera.

Something Useful To Everybody: My movie blog
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mind expanding for those of us not at EPAX?

Houn on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mind you, I will say I am glad of a couple things.

First of all, Deathspank is coming out, so I'll get another chance to play an RPG which is, if not entirely similar in structure, still somewhat related. And second, the other element of the game which I really loved, the story, is going to be completed.

Maratanos on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pretty poor form to wait this long to tell us.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

During the Create a Strip panel today, someone asked when this will be released, and as you heard it won't. But Jerry did say he's going to devote some post time to finishing the story. I am saddened by the fact that I can't get to play the story, but at the very least I will enjoy seeing where his ideas were leading.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    Starcat5Starcat5 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This isn't vigger. This is uric acid. I now have gout in all the joints up and down my arms and legs.

Starcat5 on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Details were sparse. There will be no episode three, and Jerry will try to post a proper end to the story.

No background information was given.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LucentLucent Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My disappointment is palpable.

Lucent on
    s6e07VashAndJennySig2.png
    I'm afraid to click that spoiler. I'm not sure I want to know. I'll just keep trying to fuck everything. -- trentsteel
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hopefully we'll get a week-long comic arc tying up the storyline... that would be at least partially proper in handling.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    TesseractETesseractE Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Perhaps the remaining episodes could be told in Flash animations similar to the cutscenes in the existing games? Maybe even throw in the Character customiser so we can see the remainder of the story with our character intact.

I think this would be the most satisfying end, in lieu of a full pair of games. I don't want to think that my poor avatar just ended up living in a giant dented mock-up of an orange on the World's Fairgrounds.

TesseractE on
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    After completing Episode 2, I anxiously awaited news of the third installment. Unfortunately, there will be no more in the series. Having invested in both this series and Half-Life, I have to say as a whole the serialized idea of gaming sucks terribly. When you create a serialized form of media there is a certain inherent obligation to complete what you've started, and sadly it seems like the finalization of this story will be a half-hearted non-interactive strip. As much as I love PA and the personalities behind the comic, I am underwhelmed by the effort that went into keeping us up to date on the project and now sadly, the notification of its demise.

I doubt I'll buy into another serialized game, as I too feel stranded and hung out to dry in my own character's Rain Slicked Precipice of Darkness. As for anything else greenhouse puts out, I'll be less likely to replace the sullied taste in my mouth with even more sour fruit.

I suppose what irks me the most is that I've always viewed the PA entity as a great group of people that I would instantly be friends with when we first met, and who have never let me down, now a blemish on that friendship. I still love you guys, but I can't say I'll be so eager to jump on any future projects you might put forward.

3drage on
  • Options
    wackelpuddingwackelpudding Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I’ve never been a too big fan of PA. There’re good and dull strips. That’s one of the reasons why I didn’t buy the games at a $19.99€ and $14.99€ price point. A $64.96€ price for all four episodes is just too much although you would have had four times the hours of fun than with some triple-A releases... But, all in all, it would’ve been pretty expensive. 9.99 each episode would have been a good point and I guess many more than a third would have bought the second one, if it was, too.
    I just recently bought the episodes at Steam for 4.99—and I really enjoyed them. The humour is as special as the comic strips, but the fact that you play the story is the difference that made it work for me. I don’t think that a comic continuation will work as good as the games did.

I really thought the price drop on Steam might give the episodes some sales that could convince PA and Hothead to do the rest, but well... :( I doubt this news will boost the sales as very few people want to start a game that they can’t finish.

wackelpudding on
  • Options
    Shaolin DaveShaolin Dave Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I admit, I never bought either game. I was waiting for them all to be released and bundled, largely because I hate cliffhangers. Blame the HL2 Eps.

I suppose I can buy them all now...

don't bother... there are cliffhangers that will never be resolved. besides, any of us here do half our job we don't get half our pay, we get fired. teach these guys a lesson and don't pay them for a job not finished.

Shaolin Dave on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You might have missed the joke. See, I was waiting for them all to be released before I buy them, and now we find out they are all released, so my pre-set purchasing conditions have been met.

IT'S COMEDY!

Houn on
  • Options
    KnastyKnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm pretty disappointed here; I just bought and finished Ep 2 since it was $5 on steam so I'm all fresh in the portents for the third game. There's one thing about PA that I don't like, and it's that the follow through isn't always there, and it's definitely not guaranteed. Between this and Scott Kurtz reneging on his stuff you have two major webcomic properties that flake out.

You look at the work that a guy like Scott Johnson (my extra life, experience points) does and you see that when he commits to something, it gets done. In fact take a look at experience points; it was commissioned by Crispy Gamer, much like Ding! from Kurtz, and that comic is still going strong despite Crispy Gamer giving up the ghost. That's some fricking commitment there.

ANYWAY, disappointed that we're not getting episode 3. I wanted to ask the guys at the LA book signing which they thought would come out first, Ep 3 of Rain Slick, or Half Life. Looks like at this point it'll be Half Life; of course that won't come out for another 5 years but...

Knasty on
    BAM
  • Options
    KnastyKnasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh! And reading over this article here (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/26/penny-arcade-adventures-discontinued-there-wont-be-an-episode/) I'm reminded that the pimpage for Ep2 was not nearly as strong or resolute as the pimpage for Ep1. Bah! What's done is done.

Thinking about the Scott Johnson forking in my last post, I for one would really like to see a side strip on PA, one dedicated to the extended universe characters, almost like the blamimations. It makes some sense, the blamimations are collaborative and the whole second wing of Lookouts was a collaboration/outsource deal...

Knasty on
    BAM