As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TV Media and Gaming or: How G4 is a Monumental Failure

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Anyone impugning the reputation of Attack of the Show is a liar and a fool. AotS is a fine show that I enjoy watching on a daily basis.

I can't help but think of what it used to be, and then a deep, dark depression settles over me.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Anyone impugning the reputation of Attack of the Show is a liar and a fool. AotS is a fine show that I enjoy watching on a daily basis.

I can't help but think of what it used to be, and then a deep, dark depression settles over me.

There's always TWiT!

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    Why should Sessler want to work at a video game company, especially if he enjoys his job as he seems to.

My point wasn't that Adam should get a job at a gaming company; my point was that if Shane could come off his job at EGM and get a new job in the industry relatively quickly, I can't see why anyone with Adam's reputation couldn't.

Also, I seriously doubt Adam enjoys his job. Look at how he freaked out in '07 when G4 cut the Halo 3 trailer short. The last couple of years have basically been SNAFUs of equal or greater caliber.
    Also, this bizarre habit of editors for game sites/magazines etc. is not exactly a trend I think that should be encouraged. Especially from someone who just said:
    you wrote: »
    Anybody who voluntarily stayed at that abortion of a network after Neal Tiles took over shouldn't be allowed to work anywhere in the gaming industry, and should get a tattoo that says "Sell Out" somewhere visible on their anatomy.

I don't see how staying at a company that's circling the drain just for a job title and a paycheck is the same as a former magazine editor choosing to start working at a different job in the industry.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's really funny that they cut off coverage of the last real E3, get horrible backlash, cover all of the terrible E3, and I don't remember how they handled last year, the return of the real E3!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Televised games journalism really isn't any more of a joke than print gaming journalism, it's just lower budget (relatively) and worse at disguising it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That being said I think the biggest problem with a gaming channel is that there just isn't that much gaming shit to cover every 24 hours. There isn't that much hard or soft news or commentary, and I don't see any good reason to watch someone play a game I could just be playing myself.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    That being said I think the biggest problem with a gaming channel is that there just isn't that much gaming shit to cover every 24 hours. There isn't that much hard or soft news or commentary, and I don't see any good reason to watch someone play a game I could just be playing myself.

Which is exactly why TechTV hit it just right. One show to cover all the major releases, and even stuff that you might not have caught. I bought more than a couple games I would have passed right over if not for the reviews on Extended Play. Beyond Good and Evil being the most notable.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

But they can keep going back to the well of retro gaming. Do some interviews with Warren Robinet or demonstrate Billy Mitchell Pac-Man strategies to fill in the time.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Gametrailers' Retrospectives were a close imitation but they stopped making those, too, for some reason.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the reason was something along the lines of "not enough people watched them to justify producing them."
    AoR_Final wrote: »
    Also, I seriously doubt Adam enjoys his job. Look at how he freaked out in '07 when G4 cut the Halo 3 trailer short.
    Sessler's also now G4's editor in chief of their gaming coverage. And yeah, their coverage of the '07 MS presser was marred by poorly-timed commercial breaks. But in '08 and '09 (and presumably this year too) the Big 3's presentations have been presented commercial-free. Also, watching Feedback (their Sessler-hosted video podcast) I don't get the impression that I'm viewing a man who hates his job.

I know I'm sounding like an ardent G4-defender here, but outside of X-Play and AotS, I do agree that their programming is pretty wretched. I just find those two shows very charming in how much they don't care about airing anything that feels like a professionally-produced television show. And someone asked why G4 isn't in HD, I know that X-Play is shot in HD now and AotS is switching over in a couple of weeks. Actually being able to see those feeds depends on your cable/satellite provider.

Sprout on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd be wary to give up my job talking about video games on TV, too, even if it was at G4. Assuming Sessler can just pack up and go where he wants to is a bit much, as well known as he may or may not be.

Adus on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    well Tech-TV did it right.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

But they can keep going back to the well of retro gaming. Do some interviews with Warren Robinet or demonstrate Billy Mitchell Pac-Man strategies to fill in the time.

I'd say the solution is just go back to the style of Tech TV.

Devote your channel to tech all around and have a gaming program block.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feedback is pretty great sometimes unless there's something wrong with me

Of course its web only, because they take vidya games seriously

override367 on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do you guys not get Reviews on the Run or The Electric Playground or EP Daily? You know the shows with Tommy and Vic. Or Victor and another guy When Tommy had to get working on music again.

Heck even Steve Dotto's shows were pretty darn good even if he was a mac fanboy at times.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man... I couldn't stand Tommy.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't get G4 anymore, but is the soup-producers-produced show with Chris Hardwick any good. I mean it's a internet clip show ala Tosh.0 so I know it's terrible. But can anyone honestly tell me it's at least 'not an abomination'?

I do loves me some Hardwick, especially his recently launched podcast, and of course Hard n Phirm

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I never had access to TechTV when it was still around, so sadly G4's all I get. The channel is understandably shitty and caters to neanderthal college frat boys.

That said, some of the shows are pretty good. IE, the ones that have shit-all to do with video games, like Ninja Warrior, Unbeatable Banzuke (Okay, so those two aren't even G4 shows, technically!), Web Soup (Which is, as far as I can tell, a cheap Tosh.0 ripoff. Or did this one come first?), and Whacked Out Videos. I remember when they used to air that one British science show, too. Good times.

X-Play isn't that bad. It's good background noise.

Attack of the Show can die in a fire. Kevin Peirera is so fake. He oozes fake. UGH!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gameswipe was pretty good, but then the UK hasn't had a show about videogames on TV since Patrick Moore lent his disembodied head to the BBC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KppgKU73bg

Isidore on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Oh god, I hated that review show he had with that other guy. Ugh.

I stopped regularly watching AotS around the time Olivia Munn came aboard (I remember the huge hate she was getting at first) but it seems as inoffensive as ever. Not something I would go out of my way to watch, but it's usually good to have as background noise or watch if I come across it.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Isidore wrote: »
    Gameswipe was pretty good, but then the UK hasn't had a show about videogames on TV since Patrick Moore lent his disembodied head to the BBC.

There was Videogaiden, which I linked earlier. It was only ever on BBC Scotland in obscure timeslots, however.

There were a few things presented by Aleks Krotoski on BBC and Channel 4, as well, but the only one that springs to mind is Bits.

japan on
  • Options
    zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    It is still unfathomable how G4, or at least X-play, is not in HD.

Oh, and the one to blame isn't Sessler or Munn or whoever. His name is Neal Tile, an ESPN marketing exec who took over the station in 2005 and changed it into Spike.

Everything but AOTS is in HD. It's your crappy service that doesn't pay for the channel.

zychi on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Let's keep it simple. "What do gamers want to see on TV?"

Video reviews and previews.
    Trailers
    Interviews with industry bigwigs and seeing how games are made
    E3 coverage
    I like mini-documentaries on classic games and series.

More?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Am I allowed to want a deeper analysis of games beyond "controls, graphics, gameplay" yet? Or do I have to wait until we finally get a "citizen kane of games" like people keep promising. Newsnight Review still seems stuck in the "video nasty" phase of game analysis.

Isidore on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Trailers
    E3 coverage

More?

honestly i wouldn't want to see any of those things. It seems like it'd be much more entertaining to actually play some videogames, instead of just listening to people talk about them.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    I never had access to TechTV when it was still around, so sadly G4's all I get. The channel is understandably shitty and caters to neanderthal college frat boys.

That said, some of the shows are pretty good. IE, the ones that have shit-all to do with video games, like Ninja Warrior, Unbeatable Banzuke (Okay, so those two aren't even G4 shows, technically!), Web Soup (Which is, as far as I can tell, a cheap Tosh.0 ripoff. Or did this one come first?), and Whacked Out Videos. I remember when they used to air that one British science show, too. Good times.

Attack of the Show can die in a fire. Kevin Peirera is so fake. He oozes fake. UGH!

I'm wondering if it's a thing like what Sessler was put through, because Marketplace has him on occasionally for tech segments and he's actually not bad there.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

Trailers
    E3 coverage

More?

honestly i wouldn't want to see any of those things. It seems like it'd be much more entertaining to actually play some videogames, instead of just listening to people talk about them.

Yes, but lots of channels exist that elevate activities. Instead of cooking your own fish dinner, you watch Iron Chef on the Food Network. Instead of visiting the driving range, you watch the Golf Channel. Instead of hiking on a sunny day, you watch nature docs on the Discovery Channel. And while you can look up all those things online, sometimes you just want to sit on the couch and veg, letting the nice narrator man tell you all about the Atari crash in the 80s.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Videogaiden is still the pinnacle of tv games shows.
    It was made by two scottish guys for next to no money.
    There isn't a lot of excuse for any of the bigger-budget lot.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

I'm wondering if it's a thing like what Sessler was put through, because Marketplace has him on occasionally for tech segments and he's actually not bad there.
    Really. Never knew that. I should see that, then. Honestly, anyone hosting AOTS would end up like that. He just does such a great job of oozing sleazeball in it.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm pretty sure he's put up to it.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I feel the need to mention this every time the topic comes up, but this is the only gaming show I'll ever need.

Video and arcade Top 10!!

I can't believe as a kid I missed out on the fact they were so blatantly and terribly reading off teleprompters the entire time. I just wanted to be a studio partner and win Super metroid so bad!

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I kinda like Kevin Peirera too, it was a few years ago he was on some roundtable discussion on G4 with Sessler (who I am fond of too.) and the blond girl with all the piercings (no idea if she's still on the network) But he put forth some intelligent points in some thought-provoking discussions about gaming (all three of them did in fact).

I think it's because I believe he's actually a gamer, if wikipedia is to be believed he's worked some tech-nerdy jobs as well. I guess I sorta see him as "one of us". Even though he plays a snarky d-bag on tv

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    He's supposedly a super nice guy, but he's also definitely quite intelligent.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Now that sessler is too big in the network to be their monkey, kevin is clearly their new one.

Munn is hot but something about her... like I imagine she'd just be a total bitch to "gamers" in real life

override367 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I met Sessler last year at PAX it was a brief "Hey you're adam sessler" but he was a pretty chill dude, compared to morgan who I didn't see prior to her doing an interview and then she dissappeared again.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A few years back, I saw Tommy and...the other guy (Vince?) at a Gen Con. They were in the main pavilion doing a news piece. The one thing I recalled thinking is "that dude is tiny."

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A few years back, I saw Tommy and...the other guy (Vince?) at a Gen Con. They were in the main pavilion doing a news piece. The one thing I recalled thinking is "that dude is tiny."

Yeah, he is way smaller than he looks on TV.

I was also once man handled by Tommy Tallarico's bodyguard.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

Trailers
    E3 coverage

More?

Yes, but lots of channels exist that elevate activities. Instead of cooking your own fish dinner, you watch Iron Chef on the Food Network. Instead of visiting the driving range, you watch the Golf Channel. Instead of hiking on a sunny day, you watch nature docs on the Discovery Channel. And while you can look up all those things online, sometimes you just want to sit on the couch and veg, letting the nice narrator man tell you all about the Atari crash in the 80s.
    but those are things that require a certain amount of energy and skill. (also, who the fuck enjoys watching golf on tv? I know a lot of people do, but it's hard for me to imagine anything more boring than that). Playing video games is just as easy as watching tv.

the only exception would be watching some progamers who can do it at a ridiculously high level, and do things I'd never be able to see otherwise.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Playing a game doesn't always give you insight into the development process and such, and I wouldn't mind some shows that are of the documentary sort. Icons was always a pretty cool show, I felt. I wasn't terribly into Cinematech that just showed clips of games being played. I also liked Portal, as dorky as it was. You'd never see a show like that anywhere else, and now you won't even see it on G4.

I remember the review show Tommy and Vic did. Judgment Day, I believe. I rather enjoyed it since when they reviewed games it genuinely felt like their opinions. The issue was that they seemed to always review games that were already pretty old, kind of defeating the point of even having a review show to begin with.

Adus on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SirUltimos wrote: »

Yeah, he is way smaller than he looks on TV.

I was also once man handled by Tommy Tallarico's bodyguard.

Did you deserve it?

Mortal Sky on