As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kick-Ass: Mostly aptly named film since Superbad

areaarea Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
shut_up_kick-ass_poster.jpg

It's out in a couple of weeks in the US, but it came out in the UK today. I went in with low expectations (there is not a surfeit of good movies that have Nicolas Cage in) and slightly confused by the rating on Rotten Tomatoes of 100% from 17 reviews. Perhaps crucially, I knew nothing about the original comic. But I'll be damned if it doesn't deserve it's own thread. Never before have I been in an audience that broke into applause once in the middle of a film, let alone twice.

It's directed by Michael Vaughn, whose only directing credits in the past have been Layer Cake and Stardust. Happily, both of these are good movies, but Kick-Ass really takes the cake. There are better movies. I've seen funnier movies. But honestly, I'd be hard pushed to name a movie that I simply enjoyed as much.

I heartily encourage you to go see it if you can. I would consider it extremely unlikely that you'll regret it.

Anyone else lucky enough to see it yet?

area on

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, I saw a preview for this like eight years ago. Forgot all about it since. Thought it looked funny...now that it's actually coming out, and apparently people like it, I will probably go see it.

Thanks for the heads-up!

mcdermott on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's a really enjoyable film. The ending is maybe a little too neat - especially knowing how the comic ends - but this film is really pretty great.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If it's 1/3rd as good as the comic I will love it to death. All of the trailers have me sold.

Between this and Scott Pilgram, its a good year for comic book movies.

projectmayhem on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Personally, I think this movie looked better when it was called Mystery Men, but I'll probably go see it when it hits in the states.

Does nick cage play the same character he always does? I'm a sucker for that character.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If it's 1/3rd as good as the comic I will love it to death. All of the trailers have me sold.

If you have the comic to hand you can solve an bet I have with a friend - was Mrs Zane a biology teacher in the original comic?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited March 2010

If you have the comic to hand you can solve an bet I have with a friend - was Mrs Zane a biology teacher in the original comic?

Let a friend borrow it :(

I am leaning toward no though. Been a while since Ive read the whole thing however.

projectmayhem on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Can you tell me, area, whether you really liked the character Hit Girl or not.

I saw the redline trailer, and thought the Hit Girl character shown was the most annoying incarnation of "kid who knows kung fu" ever. If you liked her (and I'm not saying that is a good or bad thing) it will give me an idea on whether I'll like this film or not.

thank you.

zekebeau on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I feel I should be excited about this movie, and yet, I've never seen a trailer for an action movie (other than robin hood) or a comedy which failed to grab me more than this. I know it's for me. Hell, there may be noone who fits the target demographic more than me, but all I think when I see this is that they should get killed. If they are in a 'superhero verse' then they are just lame superheroes who are only amusing in comparison with a real hero (mystery men) and if its not a superhero verse then they should just be killed.

Espescially hit girl, IT DOES NOT MATTER how good an 8 year old is at kung fu. She will be killed if she tries to fight any large adult. Also, bullets.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited March 2010
    and if its not a superhero verse then they should just be killed.

The comic is more up your street then. Also your last point is sort of addressed in the film (semi).

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tblox, I am totally in the same boat as you. It sounds like a movie I should like, but it doesn't look like one.

Although, I was willing to suspend some disbelief to allow a kid to fight adults.

But seriously... she ejected a spent clips while dual weilding pistols, then flipped some full clips into the air, and then brought the empty guns down onto those spinning clips to reload.

The only thing that would make this good is if the characters are fun and entertaining. Like an upbeat Watchmen with no blue penis. Then it could be entertaining.

zekebeau on
  • LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Am I right in thinking that this was written by Jonathan Ross's wife?

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
    edited March 2010
    zekebeau wrote: »
    tblox, I am totally in the same boat as you. It sounds like a movie I should like, but it doesn't look like one.

Although, I was willing to suspend some disbelief to allow a kid to fight adults.

But seriously... she ejected a spent clips while dual weilding pistols, then flipped some full clips into the air, and then brought the empty guns down onto those spinning clips to reload.

The only thing that would make this good is if the characters are fun and entertaining. Like an upbeat Watchmen with no blue penis. Then it could be entertaining.

Yeah, but they already made that movie, it's called Mystery Men. It has superheroes in a superhero universe who are fundamentally kinda lame, but shine by the fact that they are good people in comparison to the truly high powered hero despite their lack of brains.

tbloxham on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also they have actual super powers, they're just really stupid ones

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Hey, I saw a preview for this like eight years ago. Forgot all about it since. Thought it looked funny...now that it's actually coming out, and apparently people like it, I will probably go see it.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Not sure how you saw a preview for this 8 years ago when a script was being written only two years ago.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Also they have actual super powers, they're just really stupid ones

Some of them do, the shoveller doesn't :) I actually don't think the main guy does either, he's just got a super suit.

Unless you're talking about the kick-ass movie?

tbloxham on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who the Hell watched the trailer and is expecting anything realistic?

Quid on
  • Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Keep in mind that I've only seen the trailer but it looks like something I wouldn't appreciate. If it's a "what if regular people tried to be superheroes" type of thing, you can't have a little girl who fights like Jet Li. There's a guy dressed like Batman with a shotgun? If Batman has a shotgun, I can't suspend my disbelief enough to allow for the little girl and her wire work. Hell, even Jet Li's wire stunts make me roll my eyes. That's just the worst of it.

Cedar Brown on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Seriously, this is nothing like Mystery Men. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have read the comic, and Mystery Men never even popped in my head as a comparison. With the possible exception of how good Hit Girl is, the movie is very grounded in how dangerous doing something like this would be.

Non-plot-related-spoilers:
    Kick-Ass gets his ass kicked a lot. The very first time he goes out in the costume, he ends up in the hospital for months.

Actual-plot-spoiler:
    No serious, this is a big spoiler:
    Big Daddy (Nick Cage) dies at the end.

Anyway, I can't wait for the movie. The comic was fantastic, and the movie looks like a great adaptation. The RT reviews are very promising.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Personally, I think this movie looked better when it was called Mystery Men, but I'll probably go see it when it hits in the states.

Does nick cage play the same character he always does? I'm a sucker for that character.

Not really an apt comparison. Like, not remotely close. At all.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wasn't there a movie that came out a while back with a similar theme (superheroes with weak/no superpowers)? I don't remember it being that great, but I swear I saw something like that before.

Edit: Mystery Men, I need to lern 2 reed

Just Like That on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This should be fun. I've liked the other movies based on Mark Millar's comics, and if this movie is fairly true to the source, it should be good and bloody.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Keep in mind that I've only seen the trailer but it looks like something I wouldn't appreciate. If it's a "what if regular people tried to be superheroes" type of thing, you can't have a little girl who fights like Jet Li. There's a guy dressed like Batman with a shotgun? If Batman has a shotgun, I can't suspend my disbelief enough to allow for the little girl and her wire work. Hell, even Jet Li's wire stunts make me roll my eyes. That's just the worst of it.

This was always the odd thing about the original comic for me (admittedly, I haven’t read the last one or two issues). It started as an entertaining look at what would happen if someone tried to actually be a superhero in real life (months in the hospital, the video becoming popular on the internet, etc) …and then introduces the underage ninja assassin and the gun-wielding Batman. I think Millar may have just added them because he couldn’t think of any other way to extend the story without the main character inevitably getting killed.

Wandering Idiot on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    X-Posting from GV

Holy shit guys, holy shit, holy goosing shit, holy, holy, holy shit

KICK-ASS IS FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!

Best film I've seen since TDK. There are a lot of changes though but they all work, its really funny and really intense. A film about a little girl killing mobster shouldn't work but it does.

The scene with BD taking out guys in a warehouse is incredibly awesome, short but awesome. Most of the fight scenes are.

The youtube video scene where hes first discovered is very inspiring I thought, I was getting hero origin vibes and was pretty happy with it.

(spoilers within) Duh

So big change, Dave gets the girl. He reveals hes gay much earlier and thats hes kick ass and she goes for it, he has sex with her in an alley and everything. Chica is hoooooot.

The torture scene is changed drastically, its now streamed live on the web, the execution of BD and KA. However Hit Girl intervenes but not before BD is badly injured by being set on fire, they talk and he dies. No ball electrocution.

They leave since they're not at the bad guys main place in this, restock ammo and go take out the big guys. I don't remember how it ended exactly in the comic but the jetpack thing is true.

BD i in it for revenge for his wifes suicide following his framing by the main gangster for drug-dealing. Not just a comic nerd selling his comics for money.

EDIT: Another thing, I think in the comic at the end it shows Kick Ass, post-retirement walking past the guy who ends up falling to his death off the building, that isn't in this, it just says he was a mental patient. Unless theres something after the credits.

Can't remember everything about it to comment on it but I've never been happier throughout a film and after leaving but feel free to ask and it'll jog my memory. Theres a happy ending, not the depressing one of the comic.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2010
    /agree.

This and Scott Pilgram are going to straight up blow people away with how good they are.

projectmayhem on
    edited March 2010
    I dunno about Scott Pilgrim, the trailer in there didn't really garner any attention but Kick Ass had loud laughs and cheers and you don't get that in UK cinemas for whatever reason.

Seriously, this and TDk are the only films I can think of where I left totally satisfied, and I really didn't like the comic that much. I think the changes are for the better. If only for Katies ample chest scene.

DarkWarrior on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Having read the comic...
    This is not at all anywhere close to being like Mystery Men.

That said, I was really pleasantly surprised by the comic. I read it expecting not to like it considering I couldn't stand the trailers for the movie. But I like the comic, and I like Layer Cake and Stardust. Its going to be hard not to go see it.

Wassermelone on
    edited March 2010
    On the movie spoilers last page:
    That's a terrible change if he ends up getting the girl at the end. Everything else sounds fine.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited March 2010
    That's a terrible change if he ends up getting the girl at the end. Everything else sounds fine.
    He gets her half way through. And I think its for the better, I dont think anyone is that fucking mean in real life, even high school girls.

DarkWarrior on
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I always though the actual entertainment value and sheer awesomeness was a bit inflated by the whole anarchic hype-machine that went "hurf-durf she used the c-word and the movie is called Kick-Ass and that is lyke suoper-EPIC" but I am starting to realize this may be one extremely well-made and stimulating experience. Now I want to see it badly.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know almost nothing about the comic series or this movie, and from the good things I've heard about both, I intend to keep it that way until I can see it for myself.

Which means I should probably stay the fuck out of this thread for now.

Oh well.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i can't wait for this, i loved the comics.

retrovm on
    edited March 2010
    He gets her half way through. And I think its for the better, I dont think anyone is that fucking mean in real life, even high school girls.
    When he gets her isn't pertinent to my point though. Shit, he lied to weasel his way into her life. If he weren't the protagonist of the story, we'd all view that as grade-A slimy behavior, and cheer when her boyfriend beat the shit out of him at the end.

And if you don't think anyone can be that cruel in high school, you don't remember high school very well.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    when I see the trailer, all I can think about is "Zoom" with brighter costumes.

I'll probably give it a chance one day, but seeing as how I bought my last comic about 20 years ago so I have no point of reference here, I'll probably pass on it for now.

krush on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    KICK-ASS IS FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!

Best film I've seen since TDK.

Go watch The Hurt Locker.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gotta give Vaughn props for making what seems like a decent movie out of an abomination of a comic.

Bloods End on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wait, why is this out in the UK, before the US? That makes no sense

Also, Mark Strong. Yesss

Mr Bubbles on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fuck you all for getting that Goddamn Smashmouth song stuck in my head.

Deebaser on
  • KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

It wasn't stuck in my head until this post D:

Kronus on
  • KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Kronus wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

It wasn't stuck in my head until this post D:

It's important in Caucasian music that you sing oddly and really warp the vowels annoyingly, for the punky, and for the 'tude. I have learned this.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010