As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EARTH HOUR

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My family buys so much bottled water, it's ridiculous. The water at our house is actually bad though but they REALLY don't wanna get a filter cause it costs too much money or something. I don't look at the price of water filters but I can't imagine a brita pitcher being that much of a problem that they would just rather buy gallon sized jugs and 24 packs of bottled water.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "bad" how?

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It smells bad, drinking of glass of it actually makes me feel a little ill, it's sometimes brown and once in a blue moon it has a residue.

EDIT: As far as like taking a shower goes I don't mind using that water, it actually used to be worse. It's only on that one off day when it actually feels wrong that I have to make a complaint. A water filter for the hot water tank being expensive would make sense. My family is horribly cheap and they don't mind their collection of plastic jugs on the floor of the garage so whatever I guess.

nuka on
  • Options
    EfesellEfesell Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have a water filter that cost like 15$ and seems to do a pretty damn good job.

Efesell on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Weaver on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    nuka wrote: »
    It smells bad, drinking of glass of it actually makes me feel a little ill, it's sometimes brown and once in a blue moon it has a residue.

EDIT: As far as like taking a shower goes I don't mind using that water, it actually used to be worse. It's only on that one off day when it actually feels wrong that I have to make a complaint. A water filter for the hot water tank being expensive would make sense. My family is horribly cheap and they don't mind their collection of plastic jugs on the floor of the garage so whatever I guess.

unless you live in bumfuck nowhere I think you need better pipes

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yeah you're spending what, at LEAST 60 cents a gallon on bottled water?

and that's for bulk generic brand

I am PRETTY sure they're not doing the most fiscally sound thing

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've argued about it with them before, they're entirely unreasonable, scum of the earth people who are more likely to insult you for not obeying your elders or some other bullshit than actually give your opinion consideration. Thanks for the filter tips but I'd have better luck learning to fly quite frankly. They really are horrible people.

I do live in the country! The local water company bought out the other guys and they're slowly cleaning it up it's just taking forever. I'm just grateful I'm not on well water.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    and yet you stay with them?

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    yeah you're spending what, at LEAST 60 cents a gallon on bottled water?

and that's for bulk generic brand

I am PRETTY sure they're not doing the most fiscally sound thing

They usually grab 6 gallon jugs of water every 2 weeks. Maybe once a week. They get this stuff from walmart.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    and yet you stay with them?

I can't get a job, so I can't afford to move out. There's no one hiring where I live.
    Oh believe me I would be out of here so fast if I had a place to go. There's more to it than just that but honestly I don't really want to derail this thread into Shitsville.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    sell drugs

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There's a meth lab somewhere around here supposedly.
    I could also very easily start up my own weed farm here too. Hmm.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    no i was joking don't do that D:

get a job at UPS or Micky D's

they're allllways hiring

if you say "nobody is hiring" you're either not looking hard enough or not looking at a low-enough job

Raneados on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I applied at like three different McDonald's and not one called me back. Also, as a dishwasher at a Chili's.

Nobody is hiring in this country.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    did you remember that you are supposed to call THEM

because managers love that shit

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    no i was joking don't do that D:

get a job at UPS or Micky D's

they're allllways hiring

if you say "nobody is hiring" you're either not looking hard enough or not looking at a low-enough job
    I am trying, I check the weekly newspaper, I've gone out to places and asked if they were hiring, they said no but I turned in applications anyways. I really do mean no one is hiring here.

There's other factors too, my parents are horrible people and limit me to where I can work, what jobs I can have and when I can leave to apply for jobs.

Like I said, I don't really want to post further about this. It's late, I want to sleep and I don't want to turn the thread into my own personal little livejournal. If you wanna talk to me more about this then send me a PM because I'm going to bed.

EDIT: Yes I have called people, and I did apply for UPS but nope! Going to sleep now.

nuka on
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2010
    shit, I got the day wrong

does anyone want to hang out in the dark in my place today for an hour?

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Earth hour is over. The sum total of what I've learned is that it is impossible to use a yellow highlighter when reading notes by the light of a yellow flame.

Flay on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the cheat wrote: »
    haha, what a failure.

nah, it really wasn't. it's actually very impressive and kind of humbling to see a grand cosmopolitan structure like the harbour bridge or the opera house as an absence of light rather than a bright source of light itself; it gives the city a blackness, a silhouette, that you rarely see

also a funny thing happens, at least in sydney, on earth hour. while many lights obviously have to stay on for safety reasons, and even more (especially in homes) stay on out of disregard or laziness, the actual signage on every visible building - pretty much all illuminated branding - goes off. it's obviously gotten to the point where being visible during that hour, in terms of public relations, is actually measurably damaging. there was just one logo i saw switched on during that hour, and that was a small accounting firm in north sydney

for me, that's what earth hour is all about. a symbolic movement on our part that can ultimately affect the actions and even values of corporations. it works, so i dig it. it's a good thing

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    yeah, really great job turning off half the lights.

:^:

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i suppose a lot of people dying in car crashes would be a preferable alternative

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Less people = less carbon emissions.

Get on it!

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    this Earth Hour, and for one hour only, I pledge to switch out my energy saving light bulbs for the old and inefficient ones.

Then leave every light in the house on.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    At a friend's party tonight during Earth Hour they shut off all the lights and we were handed glowsticks to put on ourselves.

It was pretty fun, I'm now covered in them.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was going to turn on all my computers and run them at 100% using OCCT during Earth Hour

But then I forgot what time it was

:(

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I forgot about this and then didn't care.

Prediction came true.

Melding on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I slept through it!

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was (and still am) painting! Its hard to paint in darkness though so I didn't bother to turn it all out.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    i was gonna do this then i had to poop and i aint poopin with the lights off

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »
    MID_230648.jpg

Oh, neat, I played Scrabble tonight, too

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I watched Jim Jeffries' comedy special on HBO.

That is an entertaining son of a bitch right there.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Earth Hour: The Subway Rapist's Dream.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    in pittance to the pitiful attempt that was EARTH HOUR

i played Lights Out

lightsOutHandheld.jpg

Raneados on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't even know this was happening

however, I did just make some tacos

I like to think that the earth approved of that

Moriveth on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    we did earth 20 minutes as we sat outside by a wood fire then realised that drunk people + fire + inadequate lighting = hilarious but also dumb idea

p sure we saved the world anyway

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    the fire is for the light

surely that is adequate?

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you fools! fire IS light! you had light! EARTH IS RUINED!

Melding on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i mean usually at a bonfire or something we got somebody's radio on and there's always a lot of alcohol

that just means watch your step

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i am taking my earth and going home

Raneados on