As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blisters: The biggest buzz kill since protected sex

Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen"Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Nice weather has finally arrived to Chicago. As it gets warmer more people (specifically women) are hanging out outside. In past posts I've mentioned that I've just come back from training with the Army and am on a college campus and I'm attempting to expand my social circle outside of my clique of friends. The various ways I've been doing this by being stupid (wearing sombreros to class for example), starting up a few sport games (such as softball), and even started DJing at a few parties. Overall, expanding my social network and getting my name out there (In a positive manner)

The most recent activity I took up is roller skating. I noticed that a lot of the girls on campus have been roller skating on campus, so as an easy conversation starter I decided to buy a pair of roller blades. However, the more I skate the worst my feet get. I keep getting giant blisters on the left and right side of my ankles which makes it impossible to skate. I tried using mole skin to help reduce the pressure on those spots, but its not helping because the blisters are still fresh.

Anyone have any advice on at least comforting these hot spots so that I can continue skating this week short forth of resting?

TLDR : Blisters on feet suck. I want to roller blade around campus, but can't because they are silly goosing my feet up. How to make them go away or relieve pressure while skating?

Waffles or whatever on

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Better fitting (tighter) socks and better fitting rollerblades would be the two things I would think of immediately, both of which would help lessen the amount of rubbing on your skin that causes blisters... However, even if those two things are perfect, there does have to be a certain amount of callus building on your feet whenever you start doing a new activity and your skin rubs up against something differently than it has before

as for fixing them now, I think you can drain them (doctor would probably be best for this if you have free student health care, though you probably could do it yourself if you can achieve the necessary level of cleanliness to do it without causing infections and making the problem infinitely worse), but otherwise you're just going to have to wait it out

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I always develop blisters when I first start the Summer running/hiking season. The only way I know of to get through them fast is to develope them one day, then take two or three days off for them to heal, then go out again and get new ones, then take another couple days off. Usually I build up a pretty tough later of skin after a couple weeks, and from there on I can do whatever on a daily basis without any trouble.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You can apply surgical spirit to the areas that are left tender by your skates to toughen up the skin, as long as you do it before a blister actually forms.

If you've already got the blister, you can at least alleviate the suffering by draining it, putting a plaster on it, and then covering the plaster with a square of duct tape (it's shiny, so prevents the friction that causes the pain and the blister). Don't leave them covered like that all the time, obviously, but if you want to skate and you already have the blisters it's a good way of dealing with them while you're skating.

japan on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    First, it sounds like you've got fitting issues there. Make sure the skates fit you and that you have adequate socks.

Second, there's a really great solution out there to cover up your blisters. When I went hiking in the Rockies, one of my shoes caused me to get huge blisters on the back of my heel by my tendon. At a hiking store, they had this product called Second Skin. It's basically gel water (they're like 98% water) that you put on your blister then put a bandage over. You don't even notice them after that. They're soothed and fairly protected against friction. Works on burns, too.

badpoet on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    badpoet wrote: »
    First, it sounds like you've got fitting issues there. Make sure the skates fit you and that you have adequate socks.

Second, there's a really great solution out there to cover up your blisters. When I went hiking in the Rockies, one of my shoes caused me to get huge blisters on the back of my heel by my tendon. At a hiking store, they had this product called Second Skin. It's basically gel water (they're like 98% water) that you put on your blister then put a bandage over. You don't even notice them after that. They're soothed and fairly protected against friction. Works on burns, too.

I was going to suggest band-aids but this sounds like a more sophisticated solution along the same lines. +1 to this.

Sipex on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Liquid skin bandages are the best bandages.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A tree-planting technique we all used was to wear a really nice pair of dress socks underneath some wool work socks. The chafing affects the sock and not your foot.

I know that kinda sucks in the summer but it really helps with blisters. And obviously moleskin, and polysporin.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Waffen wrote: »
    I tried using mole skin to help reduce the pressure on those spots, but its not helping because the blisters are still fresh.

Didn't you have to hike in the Army? What did they teach you about this? It's not about the pressure it is about friction. Just like how you lace up your boots and ensure everything is tight before a hike, your skates need to be snug to reduce friction and you move about.

travathian on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I used to have a pair of skates that didn't quite fit when I was growing up and it was hell.

Now I have a pair that fit really well and I've never gotten any discomfort let alone a blister from them ever. The advice about fit above is sound.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    travathian wrote: »
    Waffen wrote: »
    I tried using mole skin to help reduce the pressure on those spots, but its not helping because the blisters are still fresh.

Didn't you have to hike in the Army? What did they teach you about this? It's not about the pressure it is about friction. Just like how you lace up your boots and ensure everything is tight before a hike, your skates need to be snug to reduce friction and you move about.

DSGT generally said "Suck it up you bitch before I kill you with a post it note. You know how Private? Because I'm a fucking ninja"

I put one skate on the foot that is healed already. What I discovered is there's a part of the fabric of the insole that wasn't well crafted and rubs the affected areas. That's the source of the friction. I think I can fix it with some tape or extra padding there. However, I'm also pondering returning the skates too due to the advice from the thread.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    badpoet wrote: »

I was going to suggest band-aids but this sounds like a more sophisticated solution along the same lines. +1 to this.

Yeah, i presume second skin is the same thing as Compede. When I discovered compede it was like finding God only better because compede is a real thing.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Make sure you are tightening them up as much as you can, because even the best fitting pair will tear up your feet/ankles if they aren't secured right.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dumb question. Would it be a bad idea to keep skating with the open blisters?

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It'll likely exacerbate them and be painful. But you should be able to accomplish it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    It wouldn't necessarily make them worse so long as you haven't burst them. The function of blisters is to create a cushion to protect your flesh from persistent rubbing so if you leave them intact they should protect you from further harm. Still hurt like hell though.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Get Blister tape/bandages and cover those fuckers up
    buy some Sock Liners.
    They're usually Polypro, and they keep your feet dry and help them breathe, and prevent formation of blisters
    throw a pair of those on under your socks and you're golden.
    And goddamn, give those open ones some time to heal. Do not fuck around with blisters, make sure they do not get infected and take care of your feet!

RubberAC on