As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Weeaboo] Because foreign children's shows are way better than domestic

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can't help but feel he went "you want a harem series? Oh, I'll give you a harem series!"

And then he proceeded to write the most ridiculous harem concept he could think of.

There are clearly elemets of parody in Negima, not just of harem but of shonen, too. I mean the whole thing is about a ten year old boy who basically has no concept of sex or romance at all, getting fawned over by teenage girls who would never actually find a ten year old boy sexually attractive in any way. nd this is directly pointed out to be stupid and ridiculous often by the characters themselves...and plenty of pedo jokes, too. The whole harem aspect of the series, and the concept behind it, really comes across as Ken poking fun at himself and the genre he made his name in.

I love the shonen parodies, too. Especially anything to do with Rakan.

LockedOnTarget on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    As I've mentioned in the past, the consensus I've understood is that it really does get better, and completely changes its nature (which isn't really a good sign overall--I mean, going from "suck" to "good" is fine, but couldn't the "suck" have been avoided entirely?).

It's just definitely not for me in either form. Which is, of course, all right. We're not all going to like everything uniformly. Just look at Code Geass.

Though this is the first time I've heard the suck of the initial few chapters justified as self-parody, rather than "the guy just wrote another shitty harem manga, and realized the market was incredibly over-saturated, so did an about face". Was it originally planned from the start in the manga?

are you talking about negima or r+v

the author of negima wanted to do a BURNING SPIRIT battle manga but his editors pushed him into harem, so he drove the harem up to eleven for the first few arcs until it got popular, then went "gotcha fuckers" and did what he wanted to do with it

r+v has no such excuse

Rust is right for once. The author of R+V had open creative license (as much as JUMP would allow, anyways) just like One Piece.

He chose to start the manga as a subversion of harem, and then it took off in wild and amazing directions, just without the BURNING PASSION.

So it's similar to Negima in how it becomes something much more. R+V needs no excuses.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Slicer wrote: »
    As I've mentioned in the past, the consensus I've understood is that it really does get better, and completely changes its nature (which isn't really a good sign overall--I mean, going from "suck" to "good" is fine, but couldn't the "suck" have been avoided entirely?).

It's just definitely not for me in either form. Which is, of course, all right. We're not all going to like everything uniformly. Just look at Code Geass.

Though this is the first time I've heard the suck of the initial few chapters justified as self-parody, rather than "the guy just wrote another shitty harem manga, and realized the market was incredibly over-saturated, so did an about face". Was it originally planned from the start in the manga?

Honestly I hear the "This awful thing is supposed to be awful! It's clearly a parody!" defense with anime/manga in general oh so very much that unless I hear concrete evidence like an interview from the creator I just don't buy it 99% of the time.

Yeah, I'm a little suspicious of it too. It's a tenuous connection, but I'm also tired of hearing the same excuse applied to the writing in Metal Gear Solid* games. "No, Kojima isn't still punking us, he genuinely derives enjoyment from having circumstances where men grab other men's junk, and he's entitled to it."

*Note: This poster does not in any way criticize the numerous masterpieces that are Konami's Metal Gear Solid titles.

Synthesis on
  • NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hooooooly hell the latest franken fran was disturbing. Which is sort of par for the course but still.

Narom on
    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Honestly I hear the "This awful thing is supposed to be awful! It's clearly a parody!" defense with anime/manga in general oh so very much that unless I hear concrete evidence like an interview from the creator I just don't buy it 99% of the time.

I don't know the fan-service stuff is pretty over the top. Like, blatantly so. When I first read into the series I was shocked at how blatant it was. But once the story kicks into gear the fan-service stuff becomes less and less and gets down to a more normal (haha) level.

It is just kind of tragic because it turns a lot of people away from a real gem of a story.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited March 2010
  • NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I don't know the fan-service stuff is pretty over the top. Like, blatantly so. When I first read into the series I was shocked at how blatant it was. But once the story kicks into gear the fan-service stuff becomes less and less and gets down to a more normal (haha) level.

It is just kind of tragic because it turns a lot of people away from a real gem of a story.

didnt bakuman stated something like this early in the manga?

Novid on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I was talking in general terms, not even just fanservice (though that is typically the biggest offender).

Slicer on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Baccano! The Complete Series Box Set
    DVD ~ J. Michael Tatum
    List Price: $49.98
    Price: $27.49
    You Save: $22.49 (45%)

Have at, gents.

There's some other good deals there, but the problem is that so many of them are so overpriced that even though you save a crapload of money, it's still...well, a lot.

Jragghen on
    edited March 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »
    DVD ~ J. Michael Tatum

Have at, gents.

There's some other good deals there, but the problem is that so many of them are so overpriced that even though you save a crapload of money, it's still...well, a lot.

Baccano! and The Twelve Kingdoms ($33.99) would be my two top recommendations.

For those wondering, those Anime S.A.V.E. sets are the even cheaper versions of the Viridian collection sets both in price and construction. I have no idea how that was even possible.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    New thread title? (also apologies if this came up already)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-USKnPDbY

akajaybay on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DVD ~ J. Michael Tatum

Have at, gents.

I really want to own both seasons of GitS, but I've always hesitated because:

A) the collection packs don't include the DTS-encoded audio tracks.

B) Any second now this will be announced for Blu Ray.

This show needs to be seen in high definition.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    guys

mio is mai waifu

long, dark hair, plays bass. perfect woman amirite

this thread is now about why the bass guitar > every other instrument

Senshi on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    guys

mio is mai waifu

long, dark hair, plays bass. perfect woman amirite

this thread is now about why the bass guitar > every other instrument

FLCL_Haruko_Haruhara.jpg

"my bass guitar is a flying chainsaw shotgun

"your argument is invalid"

Rust on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DVD ~ J. Michael Tatum

Have at, gents.

Yeah, I was thinking about buying that. Should use this as an opportunity.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    akajaybay wrote: »

Who says this and thinks it's even a remotely good idea?

Quentin on
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ugh, this thread. :?

Nodame had a pretty good run. Sad to see it go.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've started watching Baccano! on Funimation's YouTube channel. Not bad so far, and since everyone's been praising the dub I'll go ahead and stick with it.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    finally have closure with InuYasha....... now I feel emptiness.. anyone have any feel-good anime series recommendations?

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Quentin wrote: »

Wow, that's exactly the kind of shit I read on 4chan. But yeah holy shit how could a politician even consider it was okay to write that?

JJ on
    edited March 2010
    JJ wrote: »
    Quentin wrote: »
    TWO NUKES

Wow, that's exactly the kind of shit I read on 4chan. But yeah holy shit how could a politician even consider it was okay to write that?

Hmm, any government official who would even mention anime would probably be either young or super-awesome like Obama. To mention it in that tone would mean they would likely have trolled message boards in the past.

...what state was Rygar from anyways?

All kidding aside, that is pretty terrible. It sounds like something Rust would say.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Horus wrote: »
    finally have closure with InuYasha....... now I feel emptiness.. anyone have any feel-good anime series recommendations?

Cross Game!

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited March 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Cross Days!

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Hmm define "Feel Good"

Are you looking for something that gives you warm fuzzy feeling all throughout, or mixed rollercoaster with touching moments sprinkled all through it?

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I watched "Wings of Honneamise", think it was a recommendation from here. I was immensely impressed, this and Planetes are probably the best sci-fi shows I've ever watched.

Tiphareth on
    edited March 2010

Ranma 1/2. Sit confident in the knowledge that, no matter how hard you try, you'd be hard pressed to be as horrible a human being as most of the cast.

Wait, is that not a feel good show...?

Synthesis on
  • TipharethTiphareth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Ranma 1/2. Sit confident in the knowledge that, no matter how hard you try, you'd be hard pressed to be as horrible a human being as most of the cast.

Narutaru is a better show to watch, it is about the human condition and how wonderful children are. It also has proxy battles in the style of pokemon and similar shows.

The OP

Manga Spoiler:
    And if you are worried about how it ends, the manga ends on a high note with the main character gaining the ability to change the world. Deciding to leave only the wonderful things, the world turns into a beatiful place.

Tiphareth on
    edited March 2010
    Also, Narutaru was featured in a chapter of Rosario+Vampire.

narutaru.jpg

• FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tiphareth wrote: »

Narutaru is a better show to watch, it is about the human condition and how wonderful children are. It also has proxy battles in the style of pokemon and similar shows.

The OP

Manga Spoiler:
    And if you are worried about how it ends, the manga ends on a high note with the main character gaining the ability to change the world. Deciding to leave only the wonderful things, the world turns into a beatiful place.

You are history's greatest monster.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

the author of negima wanted to do a BURNING SPIRIT battle manga but his editors pushed him into harem, so he drove the harem up to eleven for the first few arcs until it got popular, then went "gotcha fuckers" and did what he wanted to do with it

r+v has no such excuse

Rust is right for once. The author of R+V had open creative license (as much as JUMP would allow, anyways) just like One Piece.

He chose to start the manga as a subversion of harem, and then it took off in wild and amazing directions, just without the BURNING PASSION.

So it's similar to Negima in how it becomes something much more. R+V needs no excuses.

When the Male protagonist can actually do something in a harem it's automatically worth my time.

So essentially Tenchi, Negi, and Tsukune.

Oh and the guy from GXP. He does have a giant Tree Robot.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The nice thing about Negima is that, unlike most Harem, the male protagonist is actually useful...and unlike most shonen, the female protagonists are actually useful.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone mentioned the Three global superpowers being similar between Code Geass and Gundam 00.

Well, Gundam 00 is a lot like Gundam Seed's various earth based powers, which in turn sound a awful lot like the three spheres of influence from George Orwell's work 1984.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited March 2010

r+v has no such excuse

When the Male protagonist can actually do something in a harem it's automatically worth my time.

So essentially Tenchi, Negi, and Tsukune.

Oh and the guy from GXP. He does have a giant Tree Robot.

That's a really low bar to set, I'd argue, but hey, if it makes you happy, it's a success in its own right.

Synthesis on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The nice thing about Negima is that, unlike most Harem, the male protagonist is actually useful...and unlike most shonen, the female protagonists are actually useful.
    He still looks like a huge niceguy dork.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I used to be a big anime fan when I was in my early to mid teens, but fell out of it. I still watch stuff that trancends bad anima tropes. Saw the Samurai Champloo series on bluray for $25 and picked it up based on some good things I've heard.

I'm really impressed.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited March 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    He still looks like a huge niceguy dork.

It's also a really, really high concentration of harem. Makes those four to six-girl harems seem rational by comparison.

Synthesis on
  • Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Eden Movie impressions!
    But first: oh god how long do we have to wait for the second movie? D:
    Ahaha, Oshugi still gets no respect from anyone.
    It's good to see that two memory wipes later, Akira's still the same as ever. Though how he couldn't have known he was the "Air King" is anyone's guess.

Mononobe's a huge bastard, but why exactly is No. 2 in on this again? I don't remember if it was explained in the show. Still, unless 12 pulls something, he's definitely been set up as the main villain. Interesting that each Seleção gets their own Juiz, though it's weird that the Johnny Taker's is the only one with its own voice and personality.

Lord_Mordja on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone mentioned the Three global superpowers being similar between Code Geass and Gundam 00.

Well, Gundam 00 is a lot like Gundam Seed's various earth based powers, which in turn sound a awful lot like the three spheres of influence from George Orwell's work 1984.

Geass's three nations are pretty obviously taken from 1984's.

Code_Geass_Map2.jpg

1984_fictious_world_map.png

Hand Australia to Brittania, the UK to Europe, and divvy up the Disputed States and it's basically the same map.

Jragghen on
    edited March 2010
    20090521053500!GitS-Appleseed_Imperial_America_2030.png

Ghost in the Shell's three central-North American states. Also, Canada is a ally/participant of the American-Russo (or American-Soviet) Alliance, depending on the material in question. Also, the AE has a military presence in large portions of central and South America (though not contiguously, leaving some problems).

Not really relevant, but we were posting maps. GitS:SAC's world has about twice as many sovereign countries as ours presently does. Indonesia, the United States, and parts of China all feature new divisions, while countries like Russia and Japan feature numerous autonomous districts/regions/zones.

Incidentally, when was it established that Pendragon was in...Baltimore? I mean, I knew it was in the Western Hemisphere, but I don't recall its specific location being elaborated on.

Synthesis on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I should probably watch GITS some day.

deadonthestreet on
This discussion has been closed.