As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4e]The Massacre at Ft. Dolor[game thread] Teleport-induced vomit!

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So with Zurin's aid and Arumat's skill bonus, it will be impossible to fail any diplomacy checks with the bartender. Nice. :D So we'll just make him a bit more gabby...

The barkeep's ears twitch as soon as the words "Raging Bear" hit his ears.

"Oh, that's just what we need here; famous strangers. Too bad that that your renown won't make an ounce of difference here, according to that crazy dwarf lady. When she came to town, she started talking about the evil in the forest coming for us. People thought she was just a little off her nut. But then logging camps and farmsteads starting getting attacked, just like she said. Only one survived all those attacks, just like she said. Then the garrison soldiers who were sent out to patrol and investigate the attacks started disappearing, just like she said. The final thing she said was that strangers would come to town. They would mean to do good for us, but they would end up causing everyone in this place—the town, not the tavern— to be killed by the evil. And here you are. Strangers. Just like that halfling down there. It might be best if you just left.”

You seem to have struck a nerve.

Farangu on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Did this dwarf lady mention your temper in any of this, or are you the kind of ninny who believes everything anybody has to say without thinking for yourself, and utilizing rationalization and calm?" (Intimidate16)

Fuck! Sorry guys, I thought a +12 would clear me above 20!

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Arumat's outburst seems to snap some sense into the barkeep.

"I..I'm sorry for that wee break I had. Of course none of us believed her when she first showed up. Who wants to believe a woman that's screamin' on about some evil force coming to get you? But when everything she was saying started coming true...it was kind of difficult to not pay attention to her, what she was saying. I don't mean no disrespect.

Still, though...this place is dyin, and will for good if things stay the way they are. If you need any supplies for your journey back, the general store's just to the north; Trujy'll still deal with strangers. Hellfire, her and myself are the only ones that will."

Building #3 is the general store.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Apology accepted, and thank you for the directions. Perhaps we should head that way when we have finished our meals and spirits?"

(Thoughtless, almost dogmatic beliefs in something are one of Arumat's pet peeves, as is believing everything is predetermined by fate, that's why I got so angry at the Dwarf.)

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yay for developing character traits

Farangu on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Samael watches the barkeep's outburst mutely. Awfully touchy, he thinks to himself. Could there be more that he's not telling us?

Insight 26

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Samael:
    The dwarf's outburst seems to show that he is having trouble resigning himself to the fate the dwarven soothsayer projected, yet cannot see any other way the future will unfold, given the accuracy of her decrees. He did not seem angry because of withheld information.

Farangu on
  • Options
    Jack HobbesJack Hobbes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nature check to try what this dwarf woman was referring to as the "great evil in the forest". 12. Aw poop.

Also, still only one success? Double poopers.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Zurin:
    The spirits are not revealing to you what exactly the evil this dwarf woman refers to is.

I can't be nice to you guys ALL the time. Gots ta work for your successes.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Arcana check to detect the presence of any magical effects in the tavern.

Oh come ooooooon.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Samael:
    The tavern is devoid of any magical influence.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "'Great evil in the forest'? Bah. Beyond a few goblin tribes, there's nothin' dangerous within miles of here."

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whew, sorry bout my dissappearance yesterday, pulled an unexpected double. Anyway, back to the game.

"Hmm, so a strange dwarf is telling the future you say? Well in my experience the only people who truly know the future are the ones causing it. Maybe shes not warning you, but bragging. Where can we find her?"

Diplomacy check for that =22 + whatever modifiers we're getting

Ill also do a nature check to see if I know of any beasts that could threaten a town but be terrified of white dragons Nature = 24

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "The dwarf lives around here somewhere, but I ain’t sure where. Not in town, but close enough that she can walk here."

Jordan:
    No beast or force comes to mind.

You guys pretty much have the tavern explored.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "I see, well, I think we need to find this woman." Jordan puts down a couple coins to pay for the meal and turns to his companions, "Well? Shall we?"

Jordan doesnt know diddly crap about findin info in a small town and knows it, one of you other duders will have to hit the pavement in earnest.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Arumat knows a thing or two about urban life, and looks around a bit for the telltale signs of...something, anything helpful at all. (Streetwise23)

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Arumat:
    Your knowledge of urban life is only somewhat helpful considering that there is no-one on the streets to interact with.

Your best bet would be to head for one of the numbered buildings. All you know about them is that #3 is the general store.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So, gang, should we split up and look for clues, or stick together?

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I say we stick together for a bit longer at least. At this point our only real lead is building #3 anyway, and I'm not keen on exploring the other buildings alone.

Samael stands from the bar and turns towards the door.

"Well then. Shall we go and visit this general store?"

He then remembers something the barkeep mentioned and turns his attention back to him.

"Pardon me, but I recall you mentioning a third individual who is still 'willing to deal with strangers,' a...Hellfire, was it?"

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The dwarf is amused.

"That was just me cursing, son. Trujy is the name of the general store owner, and most likely the only other person here willin' to have words with you."

"Before you leave, though...there is the matter of the 7 silver for the drinks."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Yes, of course" Jordan pulls out a couple more coins to pay for the ale "Well, lets see what this shopkeep knows." Standing up, Jordan begins to walk towards the general store.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Zurin begrudgingly follows the party out of the bar.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    As you head north from the tavern, you see a wooden building with a sign in front, announcing it as Trujy's General Store. The windows are shuttered and no lights shine from inside. Barrels outside for holding goods are empty.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Zurin waddles up to the door (waddling is actually his primary means of transportation) and loudly raps on the door with the flat end of his axe.

"Anybody home in there? Is this place open?"

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The door cracks open just enough to show a middle-aged female elf standing right behind it. She eyes you suspiciously.

"And what might your business with me be, strangers?"

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Well, we were hoping that you might be able to show us your wares. The inn keeper said that you would still deal with outsiders. And... if you could give us some information it would be greatly appreciated."

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "If you are looking for information, I don't have any. But if you're looking to buy some things...we can do business."

She opens up the door and lets you in. Her store is well stocked with a variety of items, including clothing, farming tools, mining tools, timber-cutting tools, simple weapons, dried goods, building tools, hardware, and so on.

You all passively notice that Trujy seems visibly shaken about something, and seems distracted. You also all notice that there is an open book laying on the counter, which she keeps glancing at nervously, and not doing a very good job of hiding her looks.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jordan bows slightly to the woman and enters the store. He peruses the womans goods and shoots a glance over at the book on the counter.

Perception =27. And thats it for tonight, see you guys tomorrow.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jordan:
    As you inch towards the book for a closer look, you notice that she starts inching closer to it as well. Perhaps if her attention were focused elsewhere...

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Good evening, my lady, would you be Trujy? Surely, you have some tidbit of information that could be useful to us, even if it may seem mundane to you. We know next to nothing about this town, and would appreciate our ignorance being decreased even the smallest bit." (Diplomacy 28)
    (Bluff 14 in case you feel Bluff to be the appropriate check here, even though I don't think I'm lying.)

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    She softens her face a little as she faces the dragonborn.

"I'm sorry about the hostility of my greeting. I've just been thinking of the prophecies being leveled by the elder dwarf woman that I'm sure you've heard of. In particular, the one of our town being consumed by an evil in the forest. In fact, I was just talking with a rancher outside of Dolor, and he said that he actually might know more about the problems we will face. I had to leave before he could elaborate, but as soon as I get the chance, I will pay him a return visit and figure out what is going on here."

As she opens up to the dragonborn, her attention shifts away from the book on the counter...

Successes: 3/??

Damn, son. Two successes in one go.

Anyone who would want to go for the book would need to make a Thievery check, not Perception.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Samael enters the store and watches the woman carefully.

What's got her so anxious?

Insight 15

Seriously. I think this is the third 1 I've rolled in this skill challenge. Ridiculous.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    She turns her head to the deva.

"Did you not just hear me? One of my rancher friends might know something about this curse!"

Fortunately, she still remains distracted from the book on the counter.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sorry, that was supposed to be a thought.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ...Whoops. My bad.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Zurin notices the open book lying on the counter, and decides that the party's best chance to get a glimpse at it is for someone to act as a distraction. He spies a small glasss bauble, waddles over to the shelf it's sitting on, and unceremoniously sweeps it to the floor, causing it to shatter.

"Um...oops?"

Bluff check to make that look like an accident. 18. If that works I'm going to laugh my ass off.

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Trujy turns her head. "Oh, no! That was one of my favorite pieces!"

She walks over to it and begins to pick up the pieces, casting a stern glance towards Zurin on the way there.

Congrats on passing a check to be clumsy.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'd imagine I just game a substantial bonus to someone trying to sneak a peak at the book ;)

Jack Hobbes on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My Thievery bonus is like +1 or 0, so...I nominate anyone but fucking me to do it!

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mines only +4 so Ive been politely waiting for someone else to do it, heh.

Lardalish on