As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This [chat] is for _J_

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    There are okay desires, and then there are "grasping" desires. At least, Chinese Buddhism makes such a distinction.

See, and to me that sounds like an arbitrary line.

Whereas Jainism seems much more self-consistent.

_J_ on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    J you are doing that thing again

where maybe you read a wikipedia article on time on the subject and it forms your knowlege base and you have thusly concluded that it is nonsensical based on surface scan

i could go "J that's kinda not how Buddhism works" but then i'd inevitably get into discussing my religious beliefs in detail and uh

yeah, no

so anyway go read up on the subject if you wanna bitch but a comment like that belies that you know bupkiss on it

all i'm gonna say on it

I took a graduate level seminar on Buddhism taught by a guy who wrote his doctoral thesis on buddhism.

So, I mean, if his take on Buddhism is wrong...i'm not sure who could possibly be right.

Edit: Which is the point at which I say "Pony, you are doing that thing again" where you forget that I read things and take classes on things.

ain't calling him wrong, man

i am calling you wrong

more accurately, i am calling you ignorant

it's entirely possible you took such a class, but man you don't display to have really understood it at all so it's a fair assumption on my part that you lack knowledge on it

but that's okay!

i don't really feel like enlightening you on it or whatever

i am suggesting you rethink what you consider to be your knowledge on the subject and maybe go read more books or something

or not!

i don't want to talk about it anymore anyway, you keep at it from here i will just scroll past your posts as if they are about your girlfriend

Pony on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    I may start over and take an active hand in the Spanish Civil War next time

As the Soviets? That can be a pain, I'd think. Never tried it myself, but do you have the transports for it? If not, there are better things to spend your ICs on. I personally like spending most of my ICs on a few rounds of factory building, and the rest on military to mass on the German border. None to really spend on ICs that'd be used once. I like knocking out Persia in the early game as them, myself. But, then again, the last few times I played was a Comintern/Axis alliance, so different strategies.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    James wrote: »
    Oh, Nocturne, if you have a DS also, I would suggest Platinum.

Maybe SoulSilver/HeartGold, though those are remakes of Siver and Gold (some people think those are the best pokemon games evar).

Er, your friend, I mean.

Would it be worthwhile for me to get soulsilver/heartgold?

I have Pearl.

I would intend to continue my eevee eugenics programme

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Me and a friend polished off a bottle of bourbon, and are currently experiencing reality.

Cinders on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh and Nocturne, keep in mind that the DS games have wifi and stuff.

Like, you can trade and battle people through the internets.

A number of chatters do in fact play these games.

James on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are like 20,000,000 versions of Buddhism

I get the impression that Buddhism is even more varied than the Abrahamic religions despite the numeric difference between them.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    With a GBA? I would suggest FireRed/LeafGreen.

They're the same game, if you know how pokemon works. Also, remakes of the originals.
    Get HeartGold or SoulSilver for the DS?

They're probably the best version...since they are the newest.

Thank you both. I will be sure to pass this on to my friend who is just kinda curious I mean I don't know really.

I mean, it's pokemon, so every version is practically the same as every other version. Only instead of rattata one may get a bidoof or something.

_J_ on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Oohhh, Incenjucar vs. Pony.

I'd say something like "whoever wins this, we all win," but really, I like Pony way more than I like Incenjucar.

I don't even want to fight with Jewkie!

he wants to fight with me all the time because he sees it as his moral duty to correct me

it gets tiresome!

i just want him to stop but he's like "never compromise!" and i am like hurm.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I think you mean about 376 million versions.

That is roughly the number of buddhists in the world.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Well that's fine. But I am pretty sure that all versions of Buddhism have something to say about "desire".

And all of these versions construct arbitrary lines to distinguish good desires from bad desires.

_J_ on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Hmm, interesting. I think I will try one of the GBA ones first, which my brother might actually have so I can borrow it and see if I like it. If so I might look into getting one for the DS. Mainly I just wanted a starting point to see if I like it at all.

I mean my friend. If my friend likes awww fuck it

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh, Nocturne, if you have a DS also, I would suggest Platinum.

Maybe SoulSilver/HeartGold, though those are remakes of Siver and Gold (some people think those are the best pokemon games evar).

Er, your friend, I mean.

Would it be worthwhile for me to get soulsilver/heartgold?

I have Pearl.

I would intend to continue my eevee eugenics programme

I don't have either yet :(

If you like Pokemon games, I hear good things.

I doubt there will be any new pokemon, though, until generation v games are out.

James on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Communist Spain

everything would be different!

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Hmm, interesting. I think I will try one of the GBA ones first, which my brother might actually have so I can borrow it and see if I like it. If so I might look into getting one for the DS. Mainly I just wanted a starting point to see if I like it at all.

I mean my friend. If my friend likes awww fuck it

If you enjoy collecting and leveling then pokemon is pretty damn great.

Plus you get to say "Wanna see my pokeymans!?!" to your friends.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Communist Spain

everything would be different!

Communist Spain actually has like a 50/50 shot at winning, really. I see it occur fairly frequently.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have a pokemon game which I really enjoyed but never finished. Can't remember which one it is, came out a good three years ago or so. I should probably start a new game and actually finish it, and maybe get a new one.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yeah, I never really gave the games a chance, because while I was playing MTG the big Pokemon CCG craze hit, and I was not interested in the least. Then the anime came along and I was like "Fucking christ that is terrible." So I associated the games with those things and never thought once about giving them a shot.

But really grinding for things and leveling and building a team and all that sounds like fun.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    at pax east there was this little corner of the hallway on the third level, that was 'handheld alley' or whatever

it was pretty much pokemon players

shit was staggering

Did you wear a gas mask? How did you make it out alive?!

i kept my distance

i don't own a DS, let alone play pokemans

but, just in general- it really didn't stink much, in PAX

honestly the only place in the convention center that really stank was right around the food court

i didn't detect strong hints of body odor on saturday or sunday

but i didn't spend a lot of time at the con, really; a lot of us really did enjoy the d&d community

we went to like 6 or 7 dfifferent restaurants and bars in the day and a half i was there

so i guess all i can really say is [chat]ters are mostly clean and decent people

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    battling friends is pretty fun too, especially if you make teams (fun teams, not math teams) specifically for that purpose

or come up with ridiculous match requirements to change things up

James on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    get your avatar of your avatar from the movie avatar is basically the content of this horrifying ad.

also they are making out.

what the hell, internet.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I have a pokemon game which I really enjoyed but never finished. Can't remember which one it is, came out a good three years ago or so. I should probably start a new game and actually finish it, and maybe get a new one.

I am having a lot of fun with the new version.

Mostly cause I get to wear my pokemon pedometer when i walk around campus.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    get your avatar of your avatar from the movie avatar is basically the content of this horrifying ad.

also they are making out.

what the hell, internet.

When the worlds collide.

Crotches.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I get the impression that Buddhism is even more varied than the Abrahamic religions despite the numeric difference between them.

the less centralized authority there is in a religion the more it is inclined to splinter and have a wide variety of sects and variations and denominations and interpretations

a fundamental shaping force in Christianity is the Catholic Church

not all Christians are Catholics, because movements started specifically to rebuke the Church's authority and so on

but the existence of that authority inevitably ends up defining how the others come into being

such centralized authorities are much less prevalent or influential in Buddhism, and has been for some time

also, the fact that Buddhism is not a "revelatory" religion has a lot to do with it.

Islam, for example, makes the claim that the writings of Mohammed is literally the will of God handed down from on high

whereas Buddhism, at most, deifies the opinion and wisdom of a man who simply thought on the subject until he felt he understood it

and many don't even extend that deific reverence

to many Buddhists, Siddhartha Gautama is just a man, one who presented a view that was later refined and altered by others

for example, as a follower of Madhyamaka, i hold far more stock in the teachings of Nagarjuna than i do Gautama

those are all factors

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yeah, I never really gave the games a chance, because while I was playing MTG the big Pokemon CCG craze hit, and I was not interested in the least. Then the anime came along and I was like "Fucking christ that is terrible." So I associated the games with those things and never thought once about giving them a shot.

But really grinding for things and leveling and building a team and all that sounds like fun.

The original pokemon CCG and the first two or three expansions were tits. I had a lot of fun playing them.

I somehow managed to get 3 charizards by just opening packs. My deck was super-tits. charizards and jigglypuffs pwning.

_J_ on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, since someone else brought it up I want to throw out a quick answer to this before I head to bed.

The things I don't like about religion (in whatever religion they may be found in, which is of course not all of them):

The idea that any entity - supernatural or otherwise - can or should command or require the worship of human beings. Be it via threat of punishment or promise of reward or good old fashioned guilt tripping.

The idea that people are born needing or can come to need - through their own actions or the actions of others - the forgiveness of any supernatural entity.

The idea that a supernatural entity can in any way offer salvation for human misdeeds.

The idea that there can be genuine "mysteries" (in the Greek sense). Which is to say things for which there are no explanation (this is fine) and (this is the important part) for which there can never be nor should there be an explanation.

The idea that there is a special and superior moral status reserved for people who choose to refrain from sex.

Hmm... those are what immediately come to mind.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

i do this alot

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, since someone else brought it up I want to throw out a quick answer to this before I head to bed.

The things I don't like about religion (in whatever religion they may be found in, which is of course not all of them):

The idea that any entity - supernatural or otherwise - can or should command or require the worship of human beings. Be it via threat of punishment or promise of reward or good old fashioned guilt tripping.

The idea that people are born needing or can come to need - through their own actions or the actions of others - the forgiveness of any supernatural entity.

The idea that a supernatural entity can in any way offer salvation for human misdeeds.

The idea that there can be genuine "mysteries" (in the Greek sense). Which is to say things for which there are no explanation (this is fine) and (this is the important part) for which there can never be nor should there be an explanation.

The idea that there is a special and superior moral status reserved for people who choose to refrain from sex.

Man, don't hate ideas.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    battling friends is pretty fun too, especially if you make teams (fun teams, not math teams) specifically for that purpose

or come up with ridiculous match requirements to change things up

Oh yeah. Sounds a lot like what my friends and I would do with MTG towards the end, where we had our serious business decks that were so good but predictable we could tell who was going to win, barring any sort of crazy bad luck, as soon as we knew which deck the other one was playing with. So we started making up all sorts of crazy rules to build decks with. Like only using commons or other random stipulations. Also tower decks were more fun in this regard.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    So, I decided against the leather cap to tone down on the potential gayness. Now, my question is should I go with the same cap style in wool or cotton? Wool looks a little classier, but it's a bitch to clean and it's hot. Cotton is pretty resilient, but also pretty bland. What say you?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pony, just wanted to point out that this statement
    the less centralized authority there is in a religion the more it is inclined to splinter and have a wide variety of sects and variations and denominations and interpretations

Can be tested historically and just does not pan out. A counter-example: Gnosticism in the 1st-3rd century.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2010

but most of things are not applicable if a religion isn't strictly theistic, though

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Now if only we could get you a pedantometer.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

what does that even do?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2010

That would be AWESOME

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Pony, just wanted to point out that this statement

Can be tested historically and just does not pan out. A counter-example: Gnosticism in the 1st-3rd century.

i am unsure how what this has to do with what i said

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

but most of things are not applicable if a religion isn't strictly theistic, though

Of course, which is why I said "in whatever religion they may be found in, which is of course not all of them"

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2010

what does that even do?

Measures pedantry.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

what does that even do?

I don't know. Presumably it would be going off constantly.

Nocturne on
This discussion has been closed.