As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Hotel Reviews

WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in PAX Archive
Post some shtuff you thought about your corresponding hotel and the shit that lies within... Was it great? Was it uncomfortable? Did it smell weird? Was it in a shady area of town? Suggest for next year?

One major reason why I made this thread was to say:
Stop shocking me Sheraton!!! <-Refers to the fact that every time you walked in the halls, you gained an assload of a static-charge and you jump when you go to press the elevator call button/door handle/other metallic thing. Cosplaying as a giant felt Pokemon (Mudkip) did not help reduce that charge in the least ;p.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Wingedillidan on

• Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My friend managed to snag a really nice 2 bed room at the Newbury Guest House 1 block from the convention center. While it wasn't conducive to room parties, being able to walk home after the concert Friday night was a huge plus. Also, when I became overburdened with swag, simply dropping it off was awesome. The rooms were huge; you could sleep 9 people in them if you wanted to. I wouldn't suggest it for next year as they don't seem too party friendly but if you're a quiet group of people, you can't beat it.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sheraton was fine by me. My only beef was the fact that any room charges incurred a double hold on my credit card and required me to use a second card to pay off the charges to remove the holds that were freezing my bank account. Minor annoyance, and the location couldn't be beat.

atiari on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Next year's PAX East is gonna be somewhere else, but for what it's worth, the Lennox was sweet.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    Dr. JoeDr. Joe Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Sheraton overbooked this year. To solve this problem, they randomly canceled some reservations. On Thursday.

We got a call Thursday afternoon informing us of this - that they were indeed just throwing out our reservations, that had been made months ago.

We ended up at the Park Plaza, by the Arlington T stop. Nice room, two beds and two bathrooms (!), but no fridge, which was a minor inconvenience. Still, it was a decent place to stay.

Not happy with the Sheraton.

Dr. Joe on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Collonade, The air conditioning duct was behind the HDTV, which puts off alot of heat, you had to choose if you wanted AC, or television. When we slept we finally figured out that it didnt matter, the AC duct really wasnt doing anything to to cool the room, as evidenced that the further down you walked in our hallway to our room, the hotter it got. (stayed 75F despite the AC and fan being stuck on at 65F)

Otherwise it was pretty nice in the hotel.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We stayed at the Park Plaza too Dr. Joe. They also overbooked. We were able to get our room but it was not ready for several hours after the check in time we were given so we ended up wasting a good part of Friday afternoon waiting around with our luggage. It was a nice enough room, but the TV was terrible compared to what I am used to for a high class hotel (seriously, a 13 inch snow filled Emerson with no inputs?) and the lack of mini fridge was meh. We had a great view though, it was a much better view than the rooms at the Sheraton we visited.

Rhiley on
    2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lenox = lots of awesomeness!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    jar37jar37 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hilton was really nice but obviously expensive (not that there was a cheap option). Close enough to the convention to keep walking easy. parking wasn't as bad as i expected, they didn't charge for partial days which was nice. our room had a georgous view of the capitol. really did spend much time in the room but it was nice. the hotel needs more elevators though as we had to wait a long time to get down on Sunday because of how many peiople were funneling out of that place at once. would have taken the stairs if we werent on the 16th floor.

jar37 on
  • Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    my group stayed in the midtown hotel, because when i booked i wasnt sure if i'd have anyone to split the room with, and it was $30 cheaper per night than the other official hotels. you get what you pay for!

the rooms were a decent size and looked clean enough, but old 19" tube tvs, ac/heat controls didnt really work, and the hotel just had a general feeling of being old and kinda dingy.

there wasnt really any room in the lobby for hanging out, and the walls were super thin - you hear EVERYTHING going on around you. Right now i can hear the people above me stomping around the room and making all sorts of noise.

so yeah, since pax will likely be at the bcec next year, it wont be an option anyways, but id definitely not stay here again for the price we paid.

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I live 5 minutes outside of boston so I didnt have to stay at a hotel, but just thought I would tell you guys I was talking to an enforcer and they said that PAX has already booked the new convention center in boston (Near South Station) for the next 2 years :winky:

Blackwood on
  • Options
    Jon007Jon007 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rhiley, and anyone.

We stayed at the Park Plaza too. Got there at 10:00 AM. We just asked they hold our bags until we come back. They don't check any rooms, names, anything. Technically, you could ask them to hold your bags if you weren't even staying there! We didn't end up checking in until 2:00 AM saturday morning. Worked out fine.

You should be able to do this for any hotel.

side note: Park Plaza needs some serious updating to their bathrooms/rooms. But it served it's purpose.

Jon007 on
  • Options
    ZeroAngelWZeroAngelW Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I'm actually curious about the history of the Midtown - for anyone staying there it was quite apparent that this place used to be something else and was re-purposed into a hotel at some point. Painted windows != walls. Don't forget the broken old-style PA systems hanging from the ceiling, with only a few functioning enough to emit some very faint crackling elevator music. I think our final assumption was that it was either an old school or a hospice in the past, either way it had the strange Silent Hill kind of vibe.

In the end though I had no real complaints. I paid to be close to the con, not so much for any nice amenities. Easy access to the subway too, saves you the $40 cab ride. It was just... odd. o_O

ZeroAngelW on
  • Options
    thejordanthejordan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Me and my two friends stayed at the Hilton for convenience. Right next door to the convention. Room was really nice. Worth the extra for the proximity and classiness.

thejordan on
  • Options
    SoyduckSoyduck Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We stayed at the Howard Johnson Fenway Park. While the location was awesome - just enough walk in between it and the Hynes to check out the city - the hotel was ... meh. The walls were paper thin. It was right on an intersection with a bar so people were whooping and there was no A/C or any kind of noise-making fan to drown out the noise. The room wasn't very nice, but hey, we didn't spend a lot of money, nor time in it. The bathroom didn't have a freaking fan so anytime one of the four of us used the shower, it got humid as hell! The beds were pretty uncomfortable ... but the service was nice.

I write big long reviews on tripadvisor about this kind of stuff, you guys should too! They send you stuff like free bags and whatnot. 8-)

Soyduck on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Stayed at the Sheraton and was happy with it. They changed my reservation of 4 people from 2 double beds to a king bed, which I acted pissed about, and they promptly gave me a 2-room suite with a king bed and couch pull-out for my original reservation price. The room was great but if I paid full price for a suite I would have been pissed that there was no fridge!

P.S. one of my other friends was commenting the whole time about being shocked by the Sheraton elevators. He'll be glad to know he is not alone

Gundabad on
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sheraton was comfy, the elevators were the fast I've ever seen, and housekeeping and the bellhops were also extremely quick to respond to any requests.

Pretty ridiculous that every hotel doesn't have wi-fi in the rooms. It's like business-people never stay there! C'mon, hotels...it's the 21st century, and we demand wi-fi.

I paid for Valet Parking because I felt it was worth not having to take all our luggage on the train, etc. However, I didn't realize you had to get your car by 2PM on checkout day. I was 90 minutes late and prepared to pay a late fee, but they charged me $20!!! That's half a day! And the valet actually stood there expecting a tip (as if).

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    YouForgotPolandYouForgotPoland Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Okay, gotta start posting on these forums again, it's been a while.

Want to make a special note about the Charlesmark Hotel, which was five minutes walking, and I happened to find because it was a great deal - a full bed cost $149/night, which as I'm sure you can all attest, was quite a deal. The room was rather small, but fit our needs well, came with a lovely full bath (you know how hit-and-miss those can be), and came with complementary continental breakfast. The whole place is beautifully decorated in a sort of art-deco setting, and I would go there again.

The only setback is that I left my DS charger on the bedside table when I left Friday morning, and when I got back Friday night, I couldn't find it. I ultimately discovered it under said table, which wouldn't be too much of a calamity, but the pins were completely bent and warped out of shape. Someone seriously screwed this up; go on, try to bend yours now, barring your ability to break walnuts between your fingers, your DS shouldn't be at risk. I'm waiting to hear from them now on this, and hope they plan on reimbursing me, because there's no way that I did it - I know this because there's no way I could physically do it!

Beyond that (and it was a $10 fix), the Charlesmark, while somewhat cramped for two people (which they warn about in advance) was a good economy investment.

YouForgotPoland on
  • Options
    cuennascuennas Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i was at the sheraton i also had the um yea we switched your room to a king when i set it for a double. but they gave me a free roll out bed which was just as comfortable. the room was nice paying for internet is alil eh but wat r u gonna do they lobby at times was popping more then pax at some points. im upset i didnt get to bother ppl about playing some of these games as well as using the digital table top in the lobby. it was also connected to the mall and well as the convention center which was a double bonus if 2011 is in the same place im stay there again.

cuennas on
  • Options
    RedPikachuRedPikachu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was at the Sheraton and was intially worried because there were some mixed reviews of the place, but I ended up really happy with them. It was extremely happy it was connected to the convention center and the Prudential center. Sometimes, there are problems with conventions and access to food, but there were lots of options with the food court near by! (My absolute favourite was the Boston Chowda Co. and I also got to eat at Legal Seafoods for the first time!)

When I first checked into the Sheraton, I was trring to use my check card and didn't have enough money in my bank account for the hold (it was over $700). They were nice enough to say, "Hey, you can split the hold with your roommate, even though he isn't showing up until later in the day." They were very accommodating and I they even fulfilled my request for having a certain room. There was a lot of seating space in the lobby, and on Saturday night, we were able to hang out there and play some board/card games whoile having some drinks from the bar.

I was definitely satisfied with my experience at the Shearton.

RedPikachu on
  • Options
    klzklz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Since the Hilton and Sheraton were sold out, and we were booking right around the announcement that tickets would be sold out, we jumped onto the MidTown as the other nearby hotel and found it to be as lacking as others above did.

Cheaper, yes, and close by, but:
    thin walls
    tiny bathroom/shower
    canceled my reservation because my friend was not on the booking and he asked about it before I arrived, so they claimed to my face that it was canceled by fax (WTF????) and then told me all that was left was a queen sized bed instead of the double beds I booked
    wheelchair unfriendly (stairs up on both sides to get to the rooms) and weird layout I'm surious what it was previously as well
    tiny tv with no real benefits (no HBO???)
    No wifi

It was okay enough, but I expected much better for the price.

klz on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Stayed at the Back Bay Hotel which was close to the Amtrak Train station in Back Bay.

The hotel was nicely appointed if lightly staffed when we arrived on Thursday night after 11. The room was spacious and comfortable, after a long day that bed was a welcome sight. They also offered free wifi, that worked beautifully, room service was decently priced and tasty, and as a bonus we got fresh cold bottles of water each day in our fridge.

The bathrooms are nice, shower only, but the shower was nice however, nicer then I've ever seen in a hotel shower.

Definitely recommended and depending on where the expo is next year we plan to stay there again. As for distance it was about a 5 minute walk from the hotel to the convention center during the day. My only complaint was the stupid covered walkway areas are closed at like midnight.

Its also a pricey hotel, figure 300 a night normally. I managed to snag a great deal ahead of time however by booking extra early and paying in full. I believe it ended up being 500 for 3 nights.

ransim on
  • Options
    w00dm4nw00dm4n Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I stayed at the Howard Johnson by Fenway Park.
    Is it normal to charge $20 a day for parking?

w00dm4n on
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    RedPikachu wrote: »

Oh hai Anne.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    Andrew TatroAndrew Tatro Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    w00dm4n wrote: »

Normal? That's cheap.

Andrew Tatro on
  • Options
    RedPikachuRedPikachu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    capnjack wrote: »
    RedPikachu wrote: »

Oh hai Anne.

Jack, your post just reminded me. We parked in the Prudential Center and had to pay $120 for parking. D:

RedPikachu on
  • Options
    daninspiredmediadaninspiredmedia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i stayed at the Howard Johnson at fenway as well. The AC didn't work in the hotel and we had 6 people staying in it. it was OK. just a place to crash for a few hours of sleep before the next day.

If its in the same location next year i'm going for the Sheraton.

daninspiredmedia on
  • Options
    GlaiveGuyGlaiveGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I stayed at the Westin, did a room share with some nice folks. The hotel was perfectly adequate for holding my stuff and sleeping in, even the night I was on the floor. Otherwise I spent all my time at the convention center anyway. I wonder if I could have just slept in my car.

GlaiveGuy on
  • Options
    thejordanthejordan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Parking at the Hilton was $40 a day. Free wifi would have been nice for the price we were paying but having an iPhone made it unnecessary really.

thejordan on
  • Options
    PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    w00dm4n wrote: »

Normal? That's cheap.

Paid $35 a day at the Copley Place. We ended up staying at the Copley Place Marriot at $99 a night (gotta love the family discount!). All in all it was pretty nice hotel and the ~5 minute walk to Hynes (without having to walk outside) was great! We booked back in December and the price shot up to $300 a night if you were reserving the next day. Not sure what our room cost normally but guessing $120-150.

$12 a day for internet (wired and wireless) is a bit nuts though! Guess it is good we spend most of the time at PAX anyway.

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was at the Onyx by the Garden. Comfy place but a bitch to drive (or walk to grrr).
    Next year I'll stay closer.

lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not that this will matter as much come 2011, but here goes.

Ended up staying at the Colonnade, short walk thru Prudential from the convention center.

A bit more expensive, but worth it I think. Walls were not paper thin. TV was nice, as was the free (!) wi-fi. Nice size bathroom and room in general...we still has space even with all our luggage, etc. We had three people in a double-occ room, so pricewise it wasn't anything too exorbitant (especially since we had been considering going to PAX Prime for years, but never did). Good and close to both the T and the convention center. Definitely worth booking way ahead of time for the event discount.

The only thing of note is this: when we came back from the concert late Saturday night (almost 2am), they had two hotel employees asking to see everyone's key card as they entered, which I'm sure does not bode well for get togethers/room sharing en masse. Two people per key card isn't suspicious, but I suppose anything more than 3 per card could have been.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    QueueQueue Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I parked in the Alewife Station parking garage, and it was $8 a night. Since next year's PAX will be on the red line it will be even more convenient.

Queue on
  • Options
    DireKittyDireKitty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had booked at the Sheraton - Thursday afternoon I got a call from Priceline saying the Sheraton overbooks and cancelled my reservation. The guy had my reservation moved to the Westin and told me to call and doublecheck that everything would be okay. The Sheraton would pay the difference between the two hotels. So I called and everything was fine. I got early check-in which was nice.

They charge you for local calls - big wtf on that one. No continental breakfast which sucks. Looks like we had free internet which was cool. Room was very spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Not a great view but it's not like you stare out the window much. The hotel is connected to the centre via a walkway, but you have to wander through the mall to get there, which sucks.

DireKitty on
This discussion has been closed.