As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Street Fighter (IV/HDR): Fourteen days left! That's less than...336 hours!

• Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Idk man generally noobs love them some fireball spam too, Duds lacks this option.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think Cody will have a strong following at first too. He's quite effective, with a pseudo-fireball game. Also bingo punch/Zonk knuckle is godly.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think I wanna change my hype meter into an all character interest meter going into the game so I can see how it changes once I get it. But idk about 35 characters fitting in a sig while still being easy to view. I guess I could use smaller mmf4 sprites to fit em in.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nicely done to the guys who went to PAX.

Chaoshat - did you get any detail if we need the disc of the original SF for the bonus or just the save? I thought someone mentioned on here just needing the save file but I'm not sure.

Nick T on
    PSN: ConvicNic
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've got a ton of footage to upload of casual SF4 matches with the forum peeps and a bunch of me playing SSF4. Once I get back from class I'll start uploading them. Also, a special "hidden" video just for everyone. Classes end @5:00. Expect the videos up later this evening.

:)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That character list is looking absolutely beefy. My want for this is too great.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Perhaps the new color rumor for sfiv owners is only part of it. Maybe that color has costume variants like Sakura's color 10.

stigweard on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    stigweard wrote: »
    I'm curious why shady didn't take boxer to better gauge what it will be like to play against Ibuki. No one has had time to perfect her yet but justin seems to have some good ideas for vortex with her.

Well, I actually was debating just picking Boxer and messing with the new ultra, but since the line was so long, and I didn't have time to wait for another match, I figured I might as well try a brand new character.

Hakan plays pretty much exactly as he looks like he plays.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think what I like about Cody the most is he has no SRK motion, so the shortcut wasn't fucking me up when I was using him at PAX.

Ever since I got the TE stick it still throws me off to do, say, Rufus' ultra and not get a snake strike instead.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think what I like about Cody the most is he has no SRK motion, so the shortcut wasn't fucking me up when I was using him at PAX.

Ever since I got the TE stick it still throws me off to do, say, Rufus' ultra and not get a snake strike instead.

Getting an EX DP move instead of Ultra means you're hitting the buttons before you finish the second quarter circle. It has nothing to do with the shortcut motion.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Getting an EX DP move instead of Ultra means you're hitting the buttons before you finish the second quarter circle. It has nothing to do with the shortcut motion.

Only thing that I have to get used to again is Cody's Bad Spray motion. In Alpha, it was b, db, d + P as knockdown recovery.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm hype for Cody but concerned because he has a charge a button move which I tend to be forgetful with using. Of course I am also looking seriously at Juri and like El F so this is an input in my best interest to learn to use effectively.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GokuhGokuh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hello. I have been lurking in this thread for awhile but with Super coming out soon I decided I should post and hopefully get a chance to fight against some of you fine PennyArcade peeps.

I main the Zief but please don't hate me because of it. I expect to get beaten to a bloody pulp regardless.

I play on the PS3. And my handle is Gokuh_. Yes with an underscore at the end. Sigh. I will post my info on the matchup form too.

Please feel free to add me.

Thank you and I look forward to playing with some of you.

Gokuh on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Check the OP, and use the form linked there to add your info to the PA list.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm curious why shady didn't take boxer to better gauge what it will be like to play against Ibuki. No one has had time to perfect her yet but justin seems to have some good ideas for vortex with her.

Well, I actually was debating just picking Boxer and messing with the new ultra, but since the line was so long, and I didn't have time to wait for another match, I figured I might as well try a brand new character.

My small mind would have thought that it would likely be my only chance to play against Justin so I'd want to bring my best, even if my best sucks :)

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

My small mind would have thought that it would likely be my only chance to play against Justin so I'd want to bring my best, even if my best sucks :)

Justin was showing stuff off for Seb, so I figured I'd take it easy on him :P

Seriously though, he seems like a cool guy. He signed my MvC TE stick!

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Justin was showing stuff off for Seb, so I figured I'd take it easy on him :P

Seriously though, he seems like a cool guy. He signed my MvC TE stick!

FWIW, all signs point to Balrog's U2 having significant startup for a throw ultra with 0 range... which makes it pretty damn bad. I guess Honda's is the same way judging by that video which is a fucking shame. I like how it lost to a level 2 FA :[

aBlank on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guys, I found out on Xbox live today that I "fucking suck and zero skills". I must admit, it really doesn't take any skill to crossup tostada press Sagat 9 times in a row if they mash DP every time.

Walt on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZaylLoIiG4

Just started watching this. Already a sudden increase in my interest in Juri based on the fact that she can store multiple fireballs.

Edit: Wong sucks with Hakan quite hard, apparently.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Walt wrote: »
    Guys, I found out on Xbox live today that I "fucking suck and zero skills". I must admit, it really doesn't take any skill to crossup tostada press Sagat 9 times in a row if they mash DP every time.

Hey at least you didn't run into Obama the Oreo and find out today you were actually gay. That is always shocking to me and my parents when i have to explain it to them.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Walt wrote: »

Wahaha! I love the internet. Keep on crushing those scrubs sir! /hatsoff

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

Having watched this back in Virginia, I am maybe...90% sure this is me getting beaten on. I demand seb change this to "Justin Wong vs Chaoshat" so I can be SUPER INTERNET FAMOUS.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So are there any other frame data nerds like me? I keep hearing that Ryu/Ken can U2 after cr.mk XX fireball FADC so I figure I'd look at the frame data and try to calculate there speed. Normally for FADCs out of specials on hit, you take the hitstun value and subtract (character dash speed + 3). Looking at the frame data for fireball characters though... this makes no sense. All the fireballs (ryu/ken/sagat anyway) are 22 frames of hit stun, and all 3 characters have 18 frame forward dashes... which would only put them at +1. This is obviously not true since you can link (up to) a 7 frame normal (cr.mk XX fireball FADC cr.mk uppercut works for Sagat). I don't think 8 is possible but it may be just a 1-framer at that point or something.

Anyway, the question here is what am I missing? At first, I figured there's some travel time for the fireball in a combo that's taking place... but then I tried a flat out point blank fireball with Ken and had little trouble landing a standing fp (6 frame) after FADC'ing.

Only thing that comes to mind is you can cancel out of a fireball earlier than just it's recovery frames....

(fake edit) well I actually managed to find a little info on this. I guess fireballs just have a different rule with regards to FADC's but can't find any followup.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »

Having watched this back in Virginia, I am maybe...90% sure this is me getting beaten on. I demand seb change this to "Justin Wong vs Chaoshat" so I can be SUPER INTERNET FAMOUS.

This is definitely you, I remember watching this match.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Really? I even sat there in training mode to watch my inputs and I couldn't figure out what my problem was. It was the only thing I did better on a pad than I did the stick.

I'd get the first quarter circle right, the 2nd would read as down, down-foward, down-foward. Like every single time.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I plan to invest lots of time into Dudley at launch just because he is likely to be top tier. I would like to see what it's like on the other side of the tier chart.

Walt on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Really? I even sat there in training mode to watch my inputs and I couldn't figure out what my problem was. It was the only thing I did better on a pad than I did the stick.

I'd get the first quarter circle right, the 2nd would read as down, down-foward, down-foward. Like every single time.

Does it read down-forward, down-foward + punch?

That means your hitting the button before you finish the second quarter circle.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh I want to like Adon so bad, but that FADC video of Just playing him makes me sad.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Grove wrote: »
    Oh I want to like Adon so bad, but that FADC video of Just playing him makes me sad.

yeah, when he said he had no links I was like... yay, a Gouken without a fireball and a bunch of unsafe specials :[

aBlank on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, looking back over my twitter feed for the things I asked Seth/Justin, here are the highlights. My notes and impressions are in light blue and I will put things Justin mentioned in yellow. Everything is paraphrased so don't take it as exact:

Juri's pinwheel kick is pretty safe. It depends on spacing and the version you use (think spiral arrow) but it's not horribly unsafe either way. EX felt verrrry safe. It also feels like a pretty good anti air. Dive kick punishes a lot of things from far away, not as unsafe as everyone thinks. Between fireballs and pinwheel kick, Juri can control a lot of space and zone effectively. She doesn't really have a good normal poke. She's also a very weird/unique character, so it's hard to get a feel how good she'll actually end up being. Impressions are that she's good though. Fireballs (and the charging thereof) are useful. Her ultras are okay. The timing on ultra 2 juggle from dive kick is hard, and her custom combo is either going to be super good, or super bad, so far nobody has found anything godlike with it. Counter move not very good, kind of good to get out of jail with the version that moves you back. Up and behind are gambles. (Both Seth and Justin mentioned this).

Chun's Ultra 2 deals no damage in a fucking combo. Chun is better. Ultra 2 is still a better ultra than ultra 1 due to free damage. Chun was pretty unchanged other than her ultra, and everyone above her on the tier list were nerfed in some way. That fact + a new ultra that she can combo into all day makes her VERY good.

Other character news: Guy is fun to play, doesn't feel very good. Dudley is going to be ridiculous. Bison ultra 2 punishes fireballs from full screen. Abel's ultra 2 ridiculous, works as an antiair, delayable, hits from like half screen, has super armor. Sagat's ultra 2 is terrible. Dan's ultra 2 is good AND pretty fucking safe on block. Hakan's Oil Combination Hold (Ultra 2) hits any airborne target, no matter how small, so things like Honda Headbutt, Bison Headstomp all get scooped up. No longer requires two focus attacks in a row to combo from focus (since the focus has a small split second where the target is airborne). Ibuki was good, Justin destroyed me. Rufus ultra 2 is terribad. Claw's ultra 1 seems to go super high across the screen, much more shallow than it used to be. T.Hawk felt meh to me. Like Zangief with the Condor Dives.

Other news: Counter ultras seem bad. (Seth says wait and see) Seth wouldn't tell me who Capcom QA pegged as super good. We're supposed to find that out ourselves. Also, he'll probably be doing commentary at EVO again (yay). Hit after KO was removed due to apparent netcode problems, inputs after KO were apparently being read weird. Seth didn't QUITE understand it himself, this is just what he was told. He also said it was the worst thing about Super.

That was basically all the stuff I asked them, most of it was Juri/Chun stuff because I like those characters, everything else was stuff I overheard. It's basically everything I asked and/or remembered hearing at PAX.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Does it read down-forward, down-foward + punch?

That means your hitting the button before you finish the second quarter circle.

I probably just need to practice it more/stop being retarded then. It was giving me trouble when I got the stick a few weeks ago, then I remembered I usually play Zangief and said "fuck it".

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    aBlank wrote: »

yeah, when he said he had no links I was like... yay, a Gouken without a fireball and a bunch of unsafe specials :[

He can combo cr lp cr lp srk fadc ultra 2. Unless this has been taken out in a later build.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guy looks like an interesting character to play. He will be the first character i mess around with on the 27th, but is he going to be that much different from Fuerte? Should i practice Elf in preparation?

Edit: BTW, i missed alpha completely.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    aBlank wrote: »

He can combo cr lp cr lp srk fadc ultra 2. Unless this has been taken out in a later build.

Where did you see this? The only link combo I've seen was in that asian (I think) video that was Adon vrs Sagat... he managed to land a counterhit cr.short into a cr.jab so there's no telling if that was a chain, a counter hit link, or an actual link :[

Also I wonder if he has to link his cr.jabs or if he's linking his SRK move... like maybe it's really fast (3 frame?) like a DP.

Anyway, I've been pretty disappointed with all the early Adon footage. Seems like people have gotten at least some grasp of the other characters but Adon is looking pretty awful so far. Maybe just no one spending time on him?

(EDIT) found this: http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=229026 so he's got links.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sorry for the late reply, but I see you found some of the info.

I definitely saw him link that combo several times, in and out of the corner. It was in some of the last few batches of videos from the past week. Sorry I don't have a link handy at the moment.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, I just saw some of the SSF4 videos on Frame-Advantage's youtube channel.

Most of the ones showing off some of the characters better attacks were just the ones of J Wong pretty much steamrolling people but it was still a good chance to see what some of the characters could do.

Hoping I can find a few more Juri videos. J Wong pretty much zoned with her and the other people I saw using her didn't really know what they were doing, would like to see some of the more aggressive ones.

That being said, so far Ibuki, Dudley, and Juri seem to be the stand outs for me as far as power goes of the new characters.

Makoto looks solid and she does scary damage, but she might be a little much for some.

All the other people I've seen demo'ed have either been pretty average play-wise(meaning the people using them didn't do all that much) or the people didn't know how to use them much.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Here are our SF4 casuals matches! w00t!

SF4 casuals pt1

SF4 casuals pt2

SF4 casuals pt3

SF4 casuals pt4

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'll get Chaoshat someday. Get him back for the tourney :P

A man can dream...

Edit: And lol @ Rak and I unable to ultra one another.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good stuff Dover.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone want to try HDR again?