As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Street Fighter (IV/HDR): Fourteen days left! That's less than...336 hours!

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Malick wrote: »
    I have been toying with the idea of changing my main from Sagat to Chun Li or M. Bison. Going from a qcf character to a charge based one does scare me a bit.

I would say go with Bison but I have a bias. Bison will force you to learn some links though, which I had completely ignored until I started using him. They aren't very difficult though so it's a good starting place.

I don't play Chun-Li at all but I think she would force you to learn some links too if you want to be competitive, at least c.LK, c.LK, c.LK xx legs.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Anyone up for some SFIV practice right now/in the near future?

I could play on PC for a bit now.

Sure, I'll hop on right now. Hopefully my connection will behave and not drop you this time.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Malick wrote: »
    I have been toying with the idea of changing my main from Sagat to Chun Li or M. Bison. Going from a qcf character to a charge based one does scare me a bit.

I would say go with Bison but I have a bias. Bison will force you to learn some links though, which I had completely ignored until I started using him. They aren't very difficult though so it's a good starting place.

I don't play Chun-Li at all but I think she would force you to learn some links too if you want to be competitive, at least c.LK, c.LK, c.LK xx legs.

*annoying nitpick on* c.lkx3 XX legs has no links. In fact, you can't link her crouching short kicks (sans counterhit or meaty)... but that doesn't matter because technically, you can't special/super cancel them either!

Out of all the charge characters (and i don't consider Gen a "charge" character), Chun Li is probably the hardest to learn. She has a lot of normals you'll have to learn (numerous anti-air options and pokes), character/range specific combos, and one of the wonkier ultras to land on an opponent (I think Abel's is the only ultra that's harder to land in a combo... timing wise anyway).

aBlank on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, her Ultra problem is kind of solved in SSF4

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    aBlank wrote: »
    *annoying nitpick on* c.lkx3 XX legs has no links. In fact, you can't link her crouching short kicks (sans counterhit or meaty)... but that doesn't matter because technically, you can't special/super cancel them either!

Well, like I said I don't play Chun-Li :P

But what the hell combo am I thinking of then? I thought they wouldn't be chainable because then you wouldn't be able to cancel into legs.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    solsovly wrote: »

Let's play again sometime. Have you played Aumni? I'd be curious to see what those matches look like.

Did he play C. Viper? We played once or twice for a series. We were rocketing all over the screen if memory serves, they were fun fights. I think I had to get past him in the tournament, but I can't remember that part honestly.

If he was Viper, it was a good fight.

That's the other reason I can't wait til SSF4. I don't even care to play all the time, sometimes I just want to watch some people duke it out if it's competitive.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone down for playing a scrubby Ryu tonight that is trying to get used to playing on a stick?

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

But what the hell combo am I thinking of then? I thought they wouldn't be chainable because then you wouldn't be able to cancel into legs.

You got the combo right. She can cancel cr.short into legs/ex legs (out of a chain combo no less) simply BECAUSE... but you can't cancel into any other special/super. It's one of those weird normals that don't quite work the same as others of the same type. Both Gief and Gouken's far standing lightkick (I think gouken's cr.short too?) are chainable but only INTO a far standing lightkick, not OUT of the move. So you can do cr.jabX3 chain far standing lk, but you couldn't do far standing lk X2 or whatever (well gief can, but that's because you can LINK his far standing lk :P... gouken can't).

aBlank on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Was down to Gouken and Rufus for a sort of "main" character and really settling in on Rufus, just loving his playstyle and getting a much better feel for his normals. They need to add a McDonalds-ish fry cook costume for Rufus as dlc.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

You got the combo right. She can cancel cr.short into legs/ex legs (out of a chain combo no less) simply BECAUSE... but you can't cancel into any other special/super. It's one of those weird normals that don't quite work the same as others of the same type. Both Gief and Gouken's far standing lightkick (I think gouken's cr.short too?) are chainable but only INTO a far standing lightkick, not OUT of the move. So you can do cr.jabX3 chain far standing lk, but you couldn't do far standing lk X2 or whatever (well gief can, but that's because you can LINK his far standing lk :P... gouken can't).

Legs have pretty weird combo properties. You can "link" MK legs from HK legs, then "link" super from HK legs.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Wow, that's interesting. I thought the whole "you must link normals in order to cancel into specials" was some sort of universal truth. Neato 8-)

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Was down to Gouken and Rufus for a sort of "main" character and really settling in on Rufus, just loving his playstyle and getting a much better feel for his normals. They need to add a McDonalds-ish fry cook costume for Rufus as dlc.

No, they need a naked costume for Rufus... Peter Griffin style, ya know, so fat that his junk remains covered by his jolly rolls. His backward throw will take on a whole new horror.

Lol, but I'm just like you, Gouken and Rufus are my favs! Although Hakan will soon be joining them.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Was that the last one for you Frosteey?

EDIT: Or did my internet drop you?

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »

No, they need a naked costume for Rufus... Peter Griffin style, ya know, so fat that his junk remains covered by his jolly rolls. His backward throw will take on a whole new horror.

Lol, but I'm just like you, Gouken and Rufus are my favs! Although Hakan will soon be joining them.

Haha yea, Im really lookin forward to Hakan as well, he looks pretty fun and I've played a bit of Gief. I always played Guile since way back in Sg2 but I just don't like the charge thing as much these days.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So did anyone else pick up Final Fight Double Impact?

I'm looking for a partner to beat up some goons with.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    oh forgot that came out today, I might pick it up in a few here.

And yeah, I like Gouken, but man his normals annoy the shit out of me. He doesn't look it but he has some studdy little arms and legs and he's a lot taller when he ducks then you'd think he'd be.

Also, I've never gotten so much hate mail after beating someone in my life then I have today from a guy with the gamertag x J Nav x

**edit* up to 7 hate mail messages now! x J Nav x you sir are gangsta.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    Anyone down for playing a scrubby Ryu tonight that is trying to get used to playing on a stick?

If you're available at 10:30/11:00pm ish PST I'll fight ya.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

And yeah, I like Gouken, but man his normals annoy the shit out of me. He doesn't look it but he has some studdy little arms and legs and he's a lot taller when he ducks then you'd think he'd be.

Also, I've never gotten so much hate mail after beating someone in my life then I have today from a guy with the gamertag x J Nav x

You can't just say something like that and not post some of the hate mails. I find the tears of a man who blames others for his shortcomings delicious.

Contrast that with my own tears of a man who just told himself not to do that thing and he just did it several times in a row. These tears are just salty.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yeah, I thought I sent a message but maybe I didn't hit enter or something, sorry. But if you're still around I'd be up for some more.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I had a pretty epic chain of hate mail this one time back in the HDR days. He sent me about 25 messages. Kid threatened to kick my ass at Gears of War (who cares?), said something about my mom, said he'd shoot me in the head, something about my grandmother, that only "fags" play "gay fighter" (to which I responded, 'is that your way of coming out of the closet?' he loved that), then finally he challenged me to a rap battle.

It was somethin'.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited April 2010

You can't just say something like that and not post some of the hate mails. I find the tears of a man who blames others for his shortcomings delicious.

Contrast that with my own tears of a man who just told himself not to do that thing and he just did it several times in a row. These tears are just salty.

Sure thing, here we go. Well I play Rufus and I guess I caught him in the corner and got a couple throws on wakeup. Here's the chat transcript here. Yes I egged him on a little. Yes I enjoyed it. Yes I know I shouldn't encourage him

x J Nav x: Way to b a scrub fag!
    me: Way to lose! You are my hero!
    x J Nav x: way to be a loser fag!! last round did nuthn but da same grab way to b a loser!! ur pathetic haha
    me: yeah and I beat you. You must feel awful about yourself.
    x J Nav x: rematch win or lose?! lets c how gud u r fag without repeating da same grab..
    me: it's spelled 'good'. 'Good.'
    x J Nav x: you can't play me again?! way to be chicken shit bitch.
    me: It's not that I don't want to play you because you aren't very good. It's that you're also kind of a retard.
    x J Nav x: play me..if im such a retard it would be easy for you right?? lol your pathetic and your chicken shit..way to show the world your a faget hahaha
    x J Nav x: talk to me when you stop wearing makeup and a tampon fag!!
    x J Nav x: just to remind you..your scared!! and you know you would lose without repeating your grab..look who needs a bottle and still lives with his mama in his basement!! hahaha

Ladies and gentlemen, x J Nav x. One of Xbox live's elite.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    That's fantastic.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Frosteey wrote: »

Yeah, I thought I sent a message but maybe I didn't hit enter or something, sorry. But if you're still around I'd be up for some more.

Maybe a bit later. I'm gonna go grab something to eat. I think I may be forced to give up the random button :( . It seems to forget 2/3 of the cast :lol: .

Fig-D on
  • Options
    Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is it bad to relish in hatemail and negative repping? Because I found that to be a great and incredible draw to SF, something I never got from Blazblue. Dhalsim is a magnet of hate.

Nick T on
    PSN: ConvicNic
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm like 48% negged. I just lol. Who looks at that shit? Waah I can't get out of TT setups waah I'm gonna neg you.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    people hate throws so much.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nick T wrote: »
    Is it bad to relish in hatemail and negative repping? Because I found that to be a great and incredible draw to SF, something I never got from Blazblue. Dhalsim is a magnet of hate.

Haha yeah I could believe it, fighting really good Dhalsim's is about as close as I've come to sending hatemail.

And yeah I thought that was pretty good lol. Still can't remember for the life of me who that guy played.
    Also, I started G2 and man, it really makes the game more fun. Much more competitive, less special move spam, more footsies practice, it's just a much more fun game when you play people that know a bit and not ryu and ken special move spammers all day.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, in fairness command grabs can be frustrating, but it's not like I abuse regular throws either. Teching is a bitch online though. Oh well, it could be worse on them, if I played Gief.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I'm like 48% negged. I just lol. Who looks at that shit? Waah I can't get out of TT setups waah I'm gonna neg you.
    I'm so glad PS3 doesn't have a similar system. D:

T-bolt on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, in fairness command grabs can be frustrating, but it's not like I abuse regular throws either. Teching is a bitch online though. Oh well, it could be worse on them, if I played Gief.

i find i get command thrown far less frequently against zangief, because he's not nearly as mobile.

grabs are frustrating because they force a realization that you were not prepared for your opponent's attack, that you're not predicting him, that you're losing, and they give you a half a second to think about that as you lie on the ground. it's not like when you get hit with a kick and you instantly have the opportunity to counter or block or jump away.

people react badly to that frustration.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    T-bolt wrote: »

But PSN has that fucker SS DasReich.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    T-bolt wrote: »

But PSN has that fucker SS DasReich.
    Ah yes, the Nazi-lover who bitches about throws. Already blocked him.

T-bolt on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    But he's still out there playing. If I had a kid, I'd be wondering how that guy still has fucking PSN access.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nick T wrote: »

I love it. I don't go out of my way to cause it, but when I get the hatemails it's enjoyable.

Simply responding with "lol" or "lol, you lost" sets them off even more.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited April 2010

i find i get command thrown far less frequently against zangief, because he's not nearly as mobile.

grabs are frustrating because they force a realization that you were not prepared for your opponent's attack, that you're not predicting him, that you're losing, and they give you a half a second to think about that as you lie on the ground. it's not like when you get hit with a kick and you instantly have the opportunity to counter or block or jump away.

I get way more frustrated when I DO predict correctly but still don't get the tech because online blows.

If there was a way for me to just yell into the microphone "THROW TECH" when I know my opponent is going to throw and it would tech it it... that'd be great.

Also, Abel's EX tornado throw is the most frustrating move ever.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I get way more frustrated when I DO predict correctly but still don't get the tech because online blows.

If there was a way for me to just yell into the microphone "THROW TECH" when I know my opponent is going to throw and it would tech it it... that'd be great.

if abel didn't have EX tornado throw, his matchup against Bison would be like 7-3 for dictator.

the best is how you can use it to stuff wakeup shoryukens.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    But he's still out there playing. If I had a kid, I'd be wondering how that guy still has fucking PSN access.
    I think he's probably making new accounts to get around any banning unless it's more than one person. The guy I encountered actually was "SSPanzerkorp". It's just more expensive to do the same thing on Live. There's a reason that game publishers say that online play isn't rated, unfortunately.

T-bolt on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only people I downrate are Sagat players.

Because Jesus fuck man. Sagat.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I highly suggest you never play me then.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The only people I downrate are Sagat players.

Because Jesus fuck man. Sagat.

speaking of sagat, some random news about him in super (from GAF):

Sagat can combo into sweep. EX Tiger Shot into U2 works fullscreen. EX Tiger Knee combos into U2, and CH HK xx Angry Scar into Ultra works. Like Alioune said,they made close HK special cancellable, lol.

I'm going to guess Sagat's sweep is now 6 or 7 frame startup (currently 8) which'll let it combo off of a standing far/close jab (respectively)... which seems to be the "norm" as far as sweep combos go.

EX TS into U2 is pretty damn scary. Sort of makes sense why the damage is fairly garbage. Close HK being special cancellable is... O_o. I'm wondering if it's just the first hit, 2nd hit... or both.

aBlank on