As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Street Fighter (IV/HDR): Fourteen days left! That's less than...336 hours!

• Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Malick wrote: »
    I will order the PS3 SSIV TE tonight when I get home, along with a bat style knob. Any other recommended upgrades to the TE stick?

rims and a feather boa?

aBlank on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    With as many TE sticks this thread has likely sold we should get madcatz promo codes. People come in all "What Stick should I get? I don't wanna drop the cash for the TE." and normally with in 10 posts the poster has been peer presured into "Well I guess what you're saying makes sense, I'll take the plunge." Then with in a few days it's mostly "OMG TE STICK GET SO AWESOME :) "

This man speaks troof. Why don't we have a stick section in the OP? Because the TE is the best and it IS worth the money.

I started on a fightpad, and only regret I didn't buy the TE sooner.

Because it wouldn't be a stick section. It would be this short paragraph:

Buy the TE. No, it's not too expensive, no, there's no better option, no, you can't get an equally good stick for cheaper, yes it is worth it. Buy the TE and stop asking questions and you'll save yourself a lot of time and money. Buy it.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I find most people who want bat tops also want octo gate but that's just up to your playstyle. If you don't know what you like gate wise square is fine.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    With as many TE sticks this thread has likely sold we should get madcatz promo codes. People come in all "What Stick should I get? I don't wanna drop the cash for the TE." and normally with in 10 posts the poster has been peer presured into "Well I guess what you're saying makes sense, I'll take the plunge." Then with in a few days it's mostly "OMG TE STICK GET SO AWESOME :) "

This man speaks troof. Why don't we have a stick section in the OP? Because the TE is the best and it IS worth the money.

Buy the TE. No, it's not too expensive, no, there's no better option, no, you can't get an equally good stick for cheaper, yes it is worth it. Buy the TE and stop asking questions and you'll save yourself a lot of time and money. Buy it.

You should just put this in the OP anyways.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    BansheeBanshee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Malick wrote: »
    I will order the PS3 SSIV TE tonight when I get home, along with a bat style knob. Any other recommended upgrades to the TE stick?

An hexagonal gate? I really depends on what you like. The stick and buttons are Sanwa, so changing those would be mostly cosmetic or personal preferences.

Banshee on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MalickMalick Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I will stick with the square for now, if I really decide I want a hex gate I can just buy one in the future.

Malick on
    Welkin7.jpg
    PSN = malickai XBL = gdragonstar Pokemon SS = 3095 7347 2659 Pokemon White = 5028 4446 2386
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »

You should just put this in the OP anyways.

There. Now there is a stick section. Filled with all the disdain and hate I have for this question.

Also, there is no hexagonal gate. There is an octagonal.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ive got my stick modded with a rhombus gate. it really helps me with honda, but its hard to do some moves on it (old tiger knee motions, etc).

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    HRAP2:SA + inPin adapter > TE

There, I said it.

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Who has the best price online, with shipping, for a 360 version TE stick?

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    ive got my stick modded with a rhombus gate. it really helps me with honda, but its hard to do some moves on it (old tiger knee motions, etc).
    I can't tell if this is a joke or not. (probably is)

I've heard of modding a square gate to carve out small indents for up, down, left & right. Seems like a cool idea to help ensure you're blocking high or pointing directly down for Chun headstomps or whatever, but I wonder if there's any negatives other than potentially fucking up your gate.

T-bolt on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so it turns out matchmaking on xbox live as a whole is down

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    T-bolt wrote: »

It has to be a joke.

Real men use a trapezoid gate.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    B:L wrote: »

It has to be a joke.

Real men use a trapezoid gate.

INFINITY GATE 4TW

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I assume he means it as just a normal square gate since ya know a square gate is also a Rectangular gate, a Rhombus gate, a Quadrilateral gate or a Parallelogram gate.

I've heard of modding a square gate to carve out small indents for up, down, left & right. Seems like a cool idea to help ensure you're blocking high or pointing directly down for Chun headstomps or whatever, but I wonder if there's any negatives other than potentially fucking up your gate.

I have also heard of people making notched square gates but haven't used one, I would think it could cause sticking in motions if you gate ride.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A rhombus gate is the kind a bitch would use.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I assume he means it as just a normal square gate since ya know a square gate is also a Rectangular gate, a Rhombus gate, or a Parallelogram gate.

I have also heard of people making notched square gates but haven't used one, I would think it could cause sticking in motions if you gate ride.
    look at me, mixing up rhombus & trapezoid... again

T-bolt on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yea PS3 stick use on pc is a maybe for stock usb, yes if you get the right usb card to put into your system. I think there's a list of ones that work on the tech forums at srk.
    They don't unless you live in the UK.

I found this one for someone else over there last night, though. According to VIA's specs on the chip it uses it should be fine for the PS3 version of the stick.

It's still a dumb as hell design decision by MadCatz, though.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    chadwalkchadwalk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Isosceles triangle gate for life.

chadwalk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i prefer a tesseract gate

i can charge back by walking forward

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A rhombus gate is the kind a bitch would use.

Nice.

451844535_jrwKA-L-2.jpg

chamberlain on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    On the top of sticks, while I know there is no one correct one to hold a stick, what are some standard ways? Because the way I currently do it, for some moves I end up throwing the stick (doing the motion and letting go of the stick and then grabbing it again) and releasing the stick is probably a sub-par thing to be doing really.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    On the top of sticks, while I know there is no one correct one to hold a stick, what are some standard ways? Because the way I currently do it, for some moves I end up throwing the stick (doing the motion and letting go of the stick and then grabbing it again) and releasing the stick is probably a sub-par thing to be doing really.

I like to use the "cough-test" grip style.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Lots of people release the stick. I think the wine glass or some variant of it is the most common.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsME37GrqjY

The way I hold it actually isn't in that video. Hold your thumb and ring finger in a c level with each other. Place them slightly below the midpoint of the balltop, the first knuckle of your ring finger at about 11 o clock, the pad of your thumb at around 4. Lay your middle and index fingers over the intervening space comfortably. My pinkie doesn't do anything. That is how I hold it, although I have some interest in picking up the wineglass.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i've ended up doing the eagle grip - my two forefingers and thumb, using mostly the fingertips

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i've ended up doing the eagle grip - my two forefingers and thumb, using mostly the fingertips
    That works the best for me, it was kind of an epiphany moment that happened during a game of SFIV while playing on the EX-SE (with Bison, no less).

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh sure, the one called the "no homo" has to be the one that seems pretty comfortable to me. Of course.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hmmmm.

I've decided that I will most likely be picking up a PS3 sometime after April 20th.

This brings the question that I will redoubtably be picking up SSF4 (I hear it's more offensive and I may as well try again) and the new BB when it comes out.

The question is the Stick is specific for a console correct? Since I had a lot of control issues with the 360 controller (I can play BB fine but SF4 seems to defeat me) would a PS3 controller be any better? I may end up getting the stick since I like fighting games and may as well play em correctly.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    PS3 standard controller's d-pad does not suck as hard as the 360 one does so you might fare better.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just be aware that the online on PS3 isn't as good as on 360 thanks to the lower userbase.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I feel like the ps3 version may end up with more users this time around, but psn is still not xbl.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gah, I finally convince myself that going down to the Midwest Championchip is not a terrible idea and then I find that it is PS3 only, so I will have to purchase a new stick.

phooey.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Or you could Chimp your stick, which is slightly cheaper.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

So you're thinking about buying a fightstick...
    Just buy a god damn TE. Don't ask in the thread, don't second guess it, don't read reviews online, don't poll your friends. Do you know what everyone is going to tell you? GO BUY A GOD DAMN TE. You know what people will say if you ask if you should get an SE? Save yourself the trouble and buy a TE. And then you'll be like "Why is the TE so much better than the SE?" and we'll all say "The buttons suck and you'll have to replace them and it just saves a lot of time and probably money just to get the TE." And then you'll ask us "But what about a Hori stick? I heard those are good." And then everyone will say "Yeah those are okay but they're not as good as the TE or even the SE because it's harder to mod" and then some silly goose will say "Hey, I like Hori's" just to confuse you but then someone else will be like "Yeah Hori's are fine but is it better then the TE?" and the original silly goose will be like "Oh no nothing is better than the TE" because nothing is better than the TE. And then you'll ask us why the TE is so good and the answers will invariably involve the modability, out of the box professional quality parts and the overall sexiness and build quality. But then of course because you have to make this difficult you'll say "I can't use Japanese parts because I need an octo gate, I can't use a square gate, also I need a bat top and some sort of adapter to make it work and blah blah blah" and invariably someone will come in and link you all the things you just mentioned above and tell you where to buy it from.

So I just saved the whole thread like three pages of people trying to be the first to recommend the TE and the ridiculous questions that come with it. JUST. BUY. THE. T. E.

So Chaos, should i buy a fight stick?
    :lol:

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sivraj wrote: »

So you're thinking about buying a fightstick...
    Just buy a god damn TE. Don't ask in the thread, don't second guess it, don't read reviews online, don't poll your friends. Do you know what everyone is going to tell you? GO BUY A GOD DAMN TE. You know what people will say if you ask if you should get an SE? Save yourself the trouble and buy a TE. And then you'll be like "Why is the TE so much better than the SE?" and we'll all say "The buttons suck and you'll have to replace them and it just saves a lot of time and probably money just to get the TE." And then you'll ask us "But what about a Hori stick? I heard those are good." And then everyone will say "Yeah those are okay but they're not as good as the TE or even the SE because it's harder to mod" and then some silly goose will say "Hey, I like Hori's" just to confuse you but then someone else will be like "Yeah Hori's are fine but is it better then the TE?" and the original silly goose will be like "Oh no nothing is better than the TE" because nothing is better than the TE. And then you'll ask us why the TE is so good and the answers will invariably involve the modability, out of the box professional quality parts and the overall sexiness and build quality. But then of course because you have to make this difficult you'll say "I can't use Japanese parts because I need an octo gate, I can't use a square gate, also I need a bat top and some sort of adapter to make it work and blah blah blah" and invariably someone will come in and link you all the things you just mentioned above and tell you where to buy it from.

So I just saved the whole thread like three pages of people trying to be the first to recommend the TE and the ridiculous questions that come with it. JUST. BUY. THE. T. E.

So Chaos, should i buy a fight stick?
    :lol:

For max impact of the message spoiled read it as if it was being told to you by this guy:
    200px-RandalGraves.jpg

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    On the subject of sticks, I'm planning to pick up a TE myself for Super - is there any real difference between the Round 1, Round 2, and S Edition versions? Just casing and artwork?

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is one of my matches from the past tourney. It's a decent one, though I wish someone had filmed my vs. Gief match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UueqzD5HoQk

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The original body ones are all the same internally, Idk if we have conformation of any changes with the S yet really it's all in the look.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Baka_Shade wrote: »
    On the subject of sticks, I'm planning to pick up a TE myself for Super - is there any real difference between the Round 1, Round 2, and S Edition versions? Just casing and artwork?

Ahem:

The Round 1 and Round 2s are identical except for artwork.

The MvC stick has different artwork, but also slightly different button arrangement (i.e. the right trigger/left bumper buttons are switched), which doesn't affect the quality of the stick.

The S edition cuts out the "wings" and is flatter, removing the bezel in favor of a top sheet of plexiglass. It is the most expensive, but if you like the smaller form factor and the lack of a bezel, its worth it.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425