As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Right-Wing Extremism

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If one were to make a thread titled 'Left-Wing Extremists', what groups would fill it besides the usual sabotages by eco-terrorists? China's Cultural Revolution ain't so fresh anymore and I'd like more recent examples.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    If some one is ALREADY holding a gun to another man's head, and you walk over and say "shoot him", not because you want the man shot, but because you want the gunman to like you, what is your moral share of the murder?

Pretty damn huge.

but different from being the one who told him to start in the first place.

I'm defending the GOP, I'm sayign that the GOP are a side issue here, not the main one.

Evander on
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Man, thank you. I've been looking for so long for a rebuttal for the BNP apologists I know who see left-wing violence as the norm and right-wing violence as some kind of abhorrent violation of the natural rules of nationalism.

Isidore on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    If one were to make a thread titled 'Left-Wing Extremists', what groups would fill it besides the usual sabotages by eco-terrorists? China's Cultural Revolution ain't so fresh anymore and I'd like more recent examples.
    In America, in the living memory of people who would frequent this board, your options are pretty slim. Mostly of the "incredibly annoying but unlikely dangerous" variety.

If you go back to the 60s you get the Black Panthers, Weather Underground and Symbionese Liberation Army. I'm not pulling any good examples that are more contemporary, though. Left Wing Extremist Violence largely went out of style with Women's Lib.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

ALF and PETA are the only ones I can think of, although apparently some radio guy just called for the deaths of Limbaugh and Beck.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I dunno... PETA or Greenpeace maybe?

They're not necessarily "Extremists", I guess, but their tactics are pretty damned annoying.

krush on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Modern Man wrote: »
    So we reach a new question, then. If some one is ALREADY holding a gun to another man's head, and you walk over and say "shoot him", not because you want the man shot, but because you want the gunman to like you, what is your moral share of the murder?
    I really can't see how that's an analogy to the relationship, if any, between potentially violent extremists, the Tea Partiers and the GOP.

These extremists live in a different world and get their ideological guidance from people a lot more extreme than political commentators like Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh (who are basically just amped up talking heads).

What the hell do you call "don't retreat, reload?" Hell, the leader of the minuteman movement told members to show up "locked, loaded and ready" in response to health care reform.
    Battlefield metaphors have been used in every setting from sports to politics for a long time. Even by, gasp, Barrack Obama (Health Care Reform- the Final Battle http://my.barackobama.com/page/event/detail/gp8948). It's nothing new, or sinister.

And, the Minutemen article you mentioned talked about the border. Given how dangerous our southern border is these days, I can't blame people for wanting to exercide their 2nd Amendment rights while keeping an eye on illegals.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I can't think of very many. Eco-terrorists such as the Earth Liberation Front maybe?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    krush wrote: »
    I dunno... PETA or Greenpeace maybe?

They're not necessarily "Extremists", I guess, but their tactics are pretty damned annoying.
    The ELF, probably.

They're all about property crime, though; I don't know that they've ever deliberately targeted people.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    If some one is ALREADY holding a gun to another man's head, and you walk over and say "shoot him", not because you want the man shot, but because you want the gunman to like you, what is your moral share of the murder?

Pretty damn huge.

I'm defending the GOP, I'm sayign that the GOP are a side issue here, not the main one.

freudian-slip-tails-of-the-slo.jpg

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    On the topic of the RNC being homps when it comes to denouncing violence, they refused to co-sign a draft letter by the DNC calling for civility in our political discourse. What did it contain that so offended them?
    As leaders of our respective national parties, we want to speak to all Americans about the importance of conducting our political debates in a manner and tone that respects our political system and demonstrates to the world the strength of our democracy.

We have a system of government that allows the great issues of our day to be resolved peacefully and civilly and that serves as a beacon of hope to those around the world who yearn for political freedom, political stability, and governing without the threat of violence.

We have a system that allows people to express approval of their government or change the party in power peaceably through the ballot box.

Our Constitution affords Americans the right to assemble and petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Clearly, we have different positions on the merits of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. However, we together call on elected officials of both parties to set an example of the civility we want to see in our citizenry. We also call on all Americans to respect differences of opinion, to refrain from inappropriate forms of intimidation, to reject violence and vandalism, and to scale back rhetoric that might reasonably be misinterpreted by those prone to such behavior.

Yeah. They aren't responsible nor culpable for the figurative guy pulling the trigger, but they sure as hell aren't helping to keep the bullet in the chamber.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So we reach a new question, then. If some one is ALREADY holding a gun to another man's head, and you walk over and say "shoot him", not because you want the man shot, but because you want the gunman to like you, what is your moral share of the murder?
    I really can't see how that's an analogy to the relationship, if any, between potentially violent extremists, the Tea Partiers and the GOP.

These extremists live in a different world and get their ideological guidance from people a lot more extreme than political commentators like Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh (who are basically just amped up talking heads).

Did you watch the video?

The issue isn't the GOP leadership so much, it's the individual congressmen who go around stirring up shit, asking for buttons that say "right wing extremist", and the like.

As I've said, they aren't the root of the problem, but they are definitely encouraging these people (because they want their votes.)

Evander on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Pretty damn huge.

freudian-slip-tails-of-the-slo.jpg

Excuse me?

You are being a gigantic silly goose here.

Where have my platforms ever fallen in line with the GOP?

Just because I'm not calling for their arrest doesn't make me a fan.

Evander on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yeah, and as per that Fresh Air interview i posted on the 2nd page, the GOP leaders aren't speaking out against all this

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You have to be a cold-hearted selfish fucker to do that for votes.

I would love more silly-billy, well-meaning crazy uncle politicians like Biden. People voting on the basis of who is more like a sitcom character.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I kind of wonder how they think a revolution like this would play out. I feel as if there are factors they haven't put into consideration.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

ALF and PETA are the only ones I can think of, although apparently some radio guy just called for the deaths of Limbaugh and Beck.

ALF, ELF and you could add some of the anti-capitalist anarchists that tend to follow the G-8 summits around. But none of those groups are targeting people. You still have some offshoots of RNA floating around but mostly they meet and talk.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Neva wrote: »
    I kind of wonder how they think a revolution like this would play out. I feel as if there are factors they haven't put into consideration.

I think they might own more guns, so that would be bad.

But if communications go down they are aimless and guns useless.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

"What do you mean I won't get my unemployment if we get rid of gub'mint?!"

Isidore on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Winners:
    20militia-cnd-popup.jpg

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Whnat do you define as extremist? I'm not all that concerned about people spouting off, but not breaking any laws. Holding crazy views is a right, so long as you don't break the law.

There really isn't much domestic terrorism in the US, whether from the left or the right. Civil War notwithstanding, we seem to be pretty good at resolving our political disputes peacefully.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    On the topic of the RNC being homps when it comes to denouncing violence, they refused to co-sign a draft letter by the DNC calling for civility in our political discourse. What did it contain that so offended them?
    As leaders of our respective national parties, we want to speak to all Americans about the importance of conducting our political debates in a manner and tone that respects our political system and demonstrates to the world the strength of our democracy.

We have a system of government that allows the great issues of our day to be resolved peacefully and civilly and that serves as a beacon of hope to those around the world who yearn for political freedom, political stability, and governing without the threat of violence.

We have a system that allows people to express approval of their government or change the party in power peaceably through the ballot box.

Our Constitution affords Americans the right to assemble and petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Clearly, we have different positions on the merits of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. However, we together call on elected officials of both parties to set an example of the civility we want to see in our citizenry. We also call on all Americans to respect differences of opinion, to refrain from inappropriate forms of intimidation, to reject violence and vandalism, and to scale back rhetoric that might reasonably be misinterpreted by those prone to such behavior.

Yeah. They aren't responsible nor culpable for the figurative guy pulling the trigger, but they sure as hell aren't helping to keep the bullet in the chamber.

Well, to be fair, it would be incredibly stupid of them to sign a DNC paper agreeing to anything. It's like a presidential candidate refusing to sign a "Clean campaign pledge" put forwards by their opposition. They're not doing it because they want to go negative off the bat and plan on breaking it, they're doing it because going to your opponent and saying "Yes. I will sign off on your idea" is a politically weak thing to do.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

What the hell do you call "don't retreat, reload?" Hell, the leader of the minuteman movement told members to show up "locked, loaded and ready" in response to health care reform.
    Battlefield metaphors have been used in every setting from sports to politics for a long time. Even by, gasp, Barrack Obama (Health Care Reform- the Final Battle http://my.barackobama.com/page/event/detail/gp8948). It's nothing new, or sinister.

Except in the context of people actually advocating that you literally bring firearms to protests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqxZgoPB3p0

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

How about how the Democrats took FOR-FUCKING-EVER to just go ahead and pass healthcare by a majority vote, because they were afraid of losing votes? People died in the interim, you realize.

Politics is a shit game that gets nothing good done.

Evander on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Pretty damn huge.

That's a line in the sand I don't feel any particular need to draw. We can hold the militia leadership legally accountable for treason / inciting violence / conspiracy to commit murder or whatever other criminal charges may apply, and simultaneously hold the GOP and the right-wing punditry morally accountable for stoking the fire.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

And, the Minutemen article you mentioned talked about the border. Given how dangerous our southern border is these days, I can't blame people for wanting to exercide their 2nd Amendment rights while keeping an eye on illegals.

Find me one use of the term "reload" in a metaphorical context. "Battle" may be a common term for a confrontation, but I have never seen a non-violent use of "reload" or putting someone in crosshairs.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

How about how the Democrats took FOR-FUCKING-EVER to just go ahead and pass healthcare by a majority vote, because they were afraid of losing votes? People died in the interim, you realize.

Politics is a shit game that gets nothing good done.

Well then they are selfish too.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Khavall wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

Well, to be fair, it would be incredibly stupid of them to sign a DNC paper agreeing to anything. It's like a presidential candidate refusing to sign a "Clean campaign pledge" put forwards by their opposition. They're not doing it because they want to go negative off the bat and plan on breaking it, they're doing it because going to your opponent and saying "Yes. I will sign off on your idea" is a politically weak thing to do.

Prior to the snub it was forwarded quietly in order to be a joint pronouncement. Tim Kaine didn't show up on TV waving a piece of paper around daring Michael Steele to pull out a pen. This would have been a joint released statement to the press where everybody holds hands and sings kumbayah.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Whnat do you define as extremist? I'm not all that concerned about people spouting off, but not breaking any laws. Holding crazy views is a right, so long as you don't break the law.

There really isn't much domestic terrorism in the US, whether from the left or the right. Civil War notwithstanding, we seem to be pretty good at resolving our political disputes peacefully.

Let's look at the brick count. As far as I've seen reported, there's only been one brick against republicans, compared to around ten against democrats. Now, what percentage of the nation prefers the GOP at this point? 30%?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Find me one use of the term "reload" in a metaphorical context. "Battle" may be a common term for a confrontation, but I have never seen a non-violent use of "reload" or putting someone in crosshairs.

Maybe Palin was suggesting that we should go back to a previous saved game - preferably before the election took place.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    The Winners:
    20militia-cnd-popup.jpg

Which one does Dick Cheney get to waterboard first?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The bottom left one is smiling as if he's taking a family picture in the backyard, "Hey guys."

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, Sarah Pailin used both terms in a non-violent context. Unless you think she's actually calling for violence, in which case I have to say you're more than a little hysterical.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The racially motivated political violence in the South didn't begin and end with the Civil War. America's most infamous domestic terrorist group, the KKK, still exists to this day.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Let's look at the brick count. As far as I've seen reported, there's only been one brick against republicans, compared to around ten against democrats. Now, what percentage of the nation prefers the GOP at this point? 30%?
    A whole eleven brick incidents. In a nation of 300 million.

Yeah, I'm going to stick with my statement- we seem to be pretty good at resolving our political disputes peacefully. Political violence is pretty rare in this country.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I think they might own more guns, so that would be bad.

But if communications go down they are aimless and guns useless.

They might own more guns than those damn liberal hippies, but I don't believe they have more guns than law enforcement and the national guard/army, which I figure would get involved if a group of armed terrorist were running around the country. Of course my knowledge in this is pretty limited, since I haven't been around to many revolutions in America.

Maybe they think if they win a shootout at DC, that would put an end to the fascist communistic tyranny that has forced America to shape up its healthcare system.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, Sarah Pailin used both terms in a non-violent context. Unless you think she's actually calling for violence, in which case I have to say you're more than a little hysterical.

Considering how common the glorification of violence, hawkish attitudes, "the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants," idolization of the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, etc. are among the right-wing, I'd say that even if Palin or any other speaker was using violent language metaphorically, the ideology in general is fairly sympathetic towards violence.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

A whole eleven brick incidents. In a nation of 300 million.

Yeah, I'm going to stick with my statement- we seem to be pretty good at resolving our political disputes peacefully. Political violence is pretty rare in this country.

I'll remind you of the generations of African Americans scared away from voting by white terrorism in the past. Political violence like that in America is not unprecedented and is not "rare" in our past. It has happened before, it might happen again if this charged atmosphere isn't kept in check.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Pretty damn huge.

That's a line in the sand I don't feel any particular need to draw. We can hold the militia leadership legally accountable for treason / inciting violence / conspiracy to commit murder or whatever other criminal charges may apply, and simultaneously hold the GOP and the right-wing punditry morally accountable for stoking the fire.

Sounds good to me.

My issue is when people try to focus on blaming the GOP ENTIRELY, not that I have any love for the GOP, but because I feel that we are missing the main issue there.

It's like with that Holocaust Museum shooting. Everyone wanted to blame Fox News, even though it was one of his targets.

If we want to try to fight this growing issue, we need to have the proper targets in our sights, not just try to use them as an excuse to attack our existing enemies.

Evander on