Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[chat]ical illusion

visiblehowlvisiblehowl He/Him Neutron NerdRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
ae8ugx.jpg

There are three colors in this picture: red, orange, and green. There is no blue in this picture. Your brain is tricking itself, or something.

This is one of the most stunning optical illusions I've ever seen.

Seriously, copy it into Paint or something and compare the green and "blue" colors. They are the exact same color.

vxsHp3F.gif
I am apparently an MTGA draft god on Twitch
visiblehowl on
«13456764

Posts

  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that was quick

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl He/Him Neutron Nerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes, this is a repost from last night, I don't care, it's awesome.

    visiblehowl on
    vxsHp3F.gif
    I am apparently an MTGA draft god on Twitch
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I was going to say that manhattans are a waste of whiskey

    but then I remembered that I used to drink manhattans

    when I was 19.

    You don't mix a quality whiskey, so there's nothing getting wasted.

    Rye whiskey is better than scotch and it also makes the best cocktails in the world.

    Are you saying for a Manhattan or in general? You could be right about the former, I've only mixed one myself, but the latter would make you a madman.

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes VH this is a great theme. Also i was there when this was talked about last night so it's like I never left.

    Someone get Morninglord in here, stat!

    Nocturne on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    on why i don't like gin, from the last thread cause it was locked real fast

    i feel bad because gin is the "classy" alcohol and is in LOTS of "classy/ic" drinks

    i tried for a year to enjoy it and i just can't

    then again i think it is my "got sick on it alcohol"

    LONG STORY SHORT: at an upscale bar, friends and i all ordered martinis (i think). they were like "man this is not good" and I was like like "well fine i will drink all the martinis instead of letting them go to waste"

    oh god bad idea

    Arch on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Look if I'm not present nobody is allowed to meet up. Period.

    So It Goes on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    VH.

    Do my homework for me.

    I don't want to.

    Inquisitor on
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl He/Him Neutron Nerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I may or may not have been poised ready to spring with this post when Irond Will locked the previous [chat] thread.

    visiblehowl on
    vxsHp3F.gif
    I am apparently an MTGA draft god on Twitch
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    my question is therefore: if the nature of reality as we perceive or experience it leads you to conclude that there is a realm of forms, how then does the nature of the realm of forms not lead you to conclude that there must be an even more fundamental level of reality, and indeed, an infinite regress of such realities?

    Pretty sure Aristotle argues something like this against Plato / Socrates. Except my brain hurts so I can't remember where.

    I think universals / forms are utilized to explain similarity. So there is only an infinite regress insofar as similarity need be explained. So once we go from red to redness, the only other step we would have to do is for there to be a Form of Forms, the form shared by all forms. or a universal of universals, the quality "universal" which is shared by all universals.

    After that there's nothing which requires an infinite regress.

    If we're going with an ontology or metaphysics of forms, not just the "explain similarity" bit, then we can get into self-evidence as a stopping point. Once we get to a self-evident truth, that can maintain itself and there is nothing "behind" it which would suggest an infinite regress.

    i am curious as to the quality of a truth which is self-evident such that it can maintain itself without resorting to "it just is."

    or "it just [strike]is[/strike]" in some cases.

    i am also curious as to the nature of the process of instantiation, and how it occurs; how does the immaterial interact with the material (which is the central problem of dualism, as I recall it)?

    Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out how to articulate "there are self-evident truths" in a manner which addresses, well, someone saying "no there are not". Basically it gets into an argument about certainty and something to the effect if "If you make a statement, have a thought, or in any way utilize, engage with, or discern discrete particulars of understanding / language, this is only possible by an appeal to certainty or self-evidence."

    That's just my thesis, though. There's a shit ton of pages I need to write on that which I never get around to doing because i'm arguing on forums or being depressed.


    Instantiation of incorporeal with corporeal is the sort of thing that gets danced around. The classic example is "form posited onto matter" in the manner in which, say, your first posits a form onto clay. Of course you say that your first is material and the clay is material, so they can interract.

    Short of just saying "PINEAL GLAND" I think what one has to do is construct an ontology such that there is a relation between the immaterial and the material, sort of like how Spinoza does with his parallelism of the thought attribute and the extended attribute of a substance.

    You're right that "immaterial substance" interracting with "extended substance" is impossible, given the definition of substance.

    The trick, I think, is to play with the definition of "interract" such that when we say redness is "in" the apple we mean something such that there can be material and red, yet not violate the interraction criteria.

    Again, though. That's just a thesis. The actual argument would be insane.


    Edit: NOt trying to taint the [chat], I just took the time to write this so wanted to post it.

    _J_ on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    stop lying to my eyes jerk

    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl He/Him Neutron Nerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Look if I'm not present nobody is allowed to meet up. Period.
    We should meet up, just to spite them.

    Are you still West Coasty?

    visiblehowl on
    vxsHp3F.gif
    I am apparently an MTGA draft god on Twitch
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gin is tasty.

    Nocturne on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ms. Platypus was at an after-work open bar last week and ended up drinking Oban 18 year with a bunch of older gentlemen.

    She is now considered a "very classy lady" by the male population at the office.

    The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Look if I'm not present nobody is allowed to meet up. Period.

    YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD

    tapeslinger on
  • OrganichuOrganichu jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    no, podly

    i meant what museum would you recommend we hit up

    Organichu on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    if you dudes go to moma, the first room you go into has cezanne's bather on a pillar. Look at that for a few minutes. And then turn to your left and and behold Les Demoiselle Des Avignon. It is a truly awe-some experience.

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Look if I'm not present nobody is allowed to meet up. Period.
    We should meet up, just to spite them.

    Are you still West Coasty?

    Yeah but this week I'm East Coasty.

    So It Goes on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out how to articulate "there are self-evident truths" in a manner which addresses, well, someone saying "no there are not". Basically it gets into an argument about certainty and something to the effect if "If you make a statement, have a thought, or in any way utilize, engage with, or discern discrete particulars of understanding / language, this is only possible by an appeal to certainty or self-evidence."

    I'm perfectly comfortable with nothing being Certain.

    Edit: In fact I find Certainty, in the philosophical sense, to be rather absurd. I also find Truth, in the philosophical sense, to be absurd.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Look if I'm not present nobody is allowed to meet up. Period.
    We should meet up, just to spite them.

    Are you still West Coasty?

    no she is getting all upitty but she got to go to Boston

    I didn't even get to do that

    Senjutsu on
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Look if I'm not present nobody is allowed to meet up. Period.

    YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD

    Is this party at your place on Friday? There better not be alcohol present miss!

    So It Goes on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out how to articulate "there are self-evident truths" in a manner which addresses, well, someone saying "no there are not". Basically it gets into an argument about certainty and something to the effect if "If you make a statement, have a thought, or in any way utilize, engage with, or discern discrete particulars of understanding / language, this is only possible by an appeal to certainty or self-evidence."

    I'm perfectly comfortable with nothing being Certain.

    *ahem*

    Are you certain of that?

    _J_ on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    anyways, I ordered some gin drinks for SIG on friday and i think she liked them

    corpse reviver #2 and a kind of shitty martinez

    i had to tell the bartender how to mix both of them. I think she liked them.

    some other good gin drinks are the negroni and the aviation (or casino). Even the humble gin and tonic is about as good as you are going to get from a highball.

    I don't like martinis, myself.

    I especially don't care for super-dry martinis. It strikes me as a silly affectation

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus is very visually interesting.

    Inquisitor on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out how to articulate "there are self-evident truths" in a manner which addresses, well, someone saying "no there are not". Basically it gets into an argument about certainty and something to the effect if "If you make a statement, have a thought, or in any way utilize, engage with, or discern discrete particulars of understanding / language, this is only possible by an appeal to certainty or self-evidence."

    I'm perfectly comfortable with nothing being Certain.

    *ahem*

    Are you certain of that?

    I'm certain of it.
    I'm not Certain of it.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I may or may not have been poised ready to spring with this post when Irond Will locked the previous [chat] thread.

    VH always waiting...

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I was going to say that manhattans are a waste of whiskey

    but then I remembered that I used to drink manhattans

    when I was 19.

    You don't mix a quality whiskey, so there's nothing getting wasted.

    Rye whiskey is better than scotch and it also makes the best cocktails in the world.

    Are you saying for a Manhattan or in general? You could be right about the former, I've only mixed one myself, but the latter would make you a madman.

    rye is a pretty great mixing ingredient.

    i'd probably argue for gin's prominance, but whiskey is a close second.

    Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • wazillawazilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The last time somebody posted an optical illusion in [chat] all the people that didn't get it were labeled idiots. Good times.

    wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    how can a martini be dry it is made of liquid

    Elendil on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    homps

    japan on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Look if I'm not present nobody is allowed to meet up. Period.

    YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD

    Is this party at your place on Friday? There better not be alcohol present miss!

    technically it's at nex's
    but I live 6 doors away from there so

    tapeslinger on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I was going to say that manhattans are a waste of whiskey

    but then I remembered that I used to drink manhattans

    when I was 19.

    You don't mix a quality whiskey, so there's nothing getting wasted.

    Rye whiskey is better than scotch and it also makes the best cocktails in the world.

    Are you saying for a Manhattan or in general? You could be right about the former, I've only mixed one myself, but the latter would make you a madman.

    In general. Rye > Scotch, and the sazerac 18 -- which can be purchased for only $50 if you get it retail, is the best whiskey in the world.

    And this guy agrees with me.

    http://cocktailenthusiast.com/2009/12/01/whisky-bible-names-sazerac-rye-worlds-best-whiskey/

    saying that Sazerac 18yo is better than the audberg supernova

    USA
    USA
    USA
    hulkster1dx.gif

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    how can a martini be dry it is made of liquid

    a wizard did it

    Arch on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I should explain the RNA acronym in the Extremist thread, but fuck it.

    Thomamelas on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

    I don't like martinis, myself.

    I especially don't care for super-dry martinis. It strikes me as a silly affectation

    Super-dry is kind of plebby from what I understand, but really I can't drink a Martini any other way. I have accepted that they are not for me.

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I majored in Philosophy, and I still have no idea what the hell you guys are talking about sometimes.

    The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    how can a martini be dry it is made of liquid

    THANK YOU!

    _J_ on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wazilla wrote: »
    The last time somebody posted an optical illusion in [chat] all the people that didn't get it were labeled idiots. Good times.

    Look if the shoe fits...

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    wazilla wrote: »
    The last time somebody posted an optical illusion in [chat] all the people that didn't get it were labeled idiots. Good times.

    Which one was that?

    JustinSane07 on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    optical illusions huh

    I don't understand

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
«13456764
This discussion has been closed.