Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[chat]ical illusion

15859606264

Posts

  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i dont believe in punishment either, from an official standpoint. it does nothing to reduce crime because it does not tackle the causes of crime

    but i do hope the universe sorts him out

    James on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    There may be things in my past that make me a bit biased with that as well.

    Trust me. I know where you're coming from.

    Seeing his smug bro face awakens some primal fucking urge in me that makes me want to stomp his balls in.

    But that's hardly a perfect solution.

    Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    man, dudes, i don't

    but then i don't really believe in vengeance and have no taste for it beyond the like "i keyed his car" petty level

    Yeah, I'm normally not a vengeful person, and like to focus on rehabilitating the person if possible, or removing them from society if not.

    Usually.

    With serial rapists who justify their actions, though? I want them raped and killed.

    It's something that gets me on a gut level and I don't care if it's vengeance.

    hrm

    can't say i like that viewpoint, duder

    i mean, i understand it

    but there ain't nobody i would ever wish rape upon

    even paul bernardo

    Pony on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Right, like I said, I know it's purely me wanting vengeance, and I am aware this is one case where my beliefs on punishment are not consistent.

    I am aware of this. I still want it to happen to him, though.

    Edit: Understandably, Pony. I'm not expecting people to agree with me here. I'm admitting that I'm being biased and inconsistent.

    Nocturne on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Right, like I said, I know it's purely me wanting vengeance, and I am aware this is one case where my beliefs on punishment are not consistent.

    I am aware of this. I still want it to happen to him, though.

    i get it dude

    just so long as you realize that ain't a good quality and not a viewpoint society as a lot should hold

    it's okay to be angry

    it's quite another to be like "that makes it okay" based on the anger

    Pony on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

    I paid for the hour.

    It possibly shows my naivety, but I've often wondered about this with prostitutes. I pay for an hour. So really I should be plugging away there trying to get in as many orgasms as a young, virile gentleman as myself can. Is that how it works? Or is it, you buy an hour which includes up to one orgasm. What about if I am just on the cusp when the time runs out? Do we have to stop while I pay for another three minutes? How strictly do said whores adhere to times? Or is a session much less strictly regimented?

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Basically I get what you're saying Nocturne and while I mostly agree I just can't say in good confidence that I'd ever want another individual to be raped.

    Violently beaten or murdered wouldn't bother me, but I wouldn't be the one to do it. I doubt jail is fun.

    Not that that's any better, mind you.

    Rear Admiral Choco on
    2WJtdLD.png
  • SarksusSarksus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The LHC has seen collisions at 7 TeV!!

    And now I go to work!

    Sarksus on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Woo! LHC is now colliding things.

    electricitylikesme on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Right, like I said, I know it's purely me wanting vengeance, and I am aware this is one case where my beliefs on punishment are not consistent.

    I am aware of this. I still want it to happen to him, though.

    i get it dude

    just so long as you realize that ain't a good quality and not a viewpoint society as a lot should hold

    it's okay to be angry

    it's quite another to be like "that makes it okay" based on the anger

    Right. And I recognize it's not a viewpoint that society should hold, and not the way punishment should be assigned.

    I'm admitting clouded judgment due to anger and personal bias. I still want it to happen, though.

    Nocturne on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

    I paid for the hour.

    It possibly shows my naivety, but I've often wondered about this with prostitutes. I pay for an hour. So really I should be plugging away there trying to get in as many orgasms as a young, virile gentleman as myself can. Is that how it works? Or is it, you buy an hour which includes up to one orgasm. What about if I am just on the cusp when the time runs out? Do we have to stop while I pay for another three minutes? How strictly do said whores adhere to times? Or is a session much less strictly regimented?

    I read a blog by a prostitute and she charged per act.

    So she was amazing at giving blowjobs, had it down to the science, because guys who had only had meh blowjobs up until then would pay for it figuring it would last a long time and give the most bang for the buck as it were. Then she would rock their worlds and collect her cash.

    Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i basically don't believe in vengeance, eye-for-an-eye, or even really the penal system as punishment

    the penal system should exist to segregate dangerous people from the rest of society and rehabilitate them

    if rehabilitation to an acceptable level is essentially impossible (paul bernardo, for example), then segregating them from anyone they can harm will have to be good enough

    Pony on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    a large part of tackling rape, at least as far as young people go

    is that, well

    most of them don't even realize that they are committing rape

    this is something that really needs to be drilled into people's heads.

    James on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    James wrote: »
    a large part of tackling rape, at least as far as young people go

    is that, well

    most of them don't even realize that they are committing rape

    this is something that really needs to be drilled into people's heads.

    This too. Although the story that was linked was most definitely not one of these cases.

    These guys were going from dorm room to dorm room looking for unlocked doors so they could break in and rape women.

    Nocturne on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

    I paid for the hour.

    It possibly shows my naivety, but I've often wondered about this with prostitutes. I pay for an hour. So really I should be plugging away there trying to get in as many orgasms as a young, virile gentleman as myself can. Is that how it works? Or is it, you buy an hour which includes up to one orgasm. What about if I am just on the cusp when the time runs out? Do we have to stop while I pay for another three minutes? How strictly do said whores adhere to times? Or is a session much less strictly regimented?

    I read a blog by a prostitute and she charged per act.

    So she was amazing at giving blowjobs, had it down to the science, because guys who had only had meh blowjobs up until then would pay for it figuring it would last a long time and give the most bang for the buck as it were. Then she would rock their worlds and collect her cash.

    Interesting. I got about two thirds into Belle De Jour's Diary of a something something unremarkable title "that girl who worked as a prossie while she was writing up her PhD", and she seemed to have upfront payment on a "per session" basis, which I presumed was about time. And then it had had a narrative added, which diluted the voyeuristic fun.

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    i basically don't believe in vengeance, eye-for-an-eye, or even really the penal system as punishment

    the penal system should exist to segregate dangerous people from the rest of society and rehabilitate them

    if rehabilitation to an acceptable level is essentially impossible (paul bernardo, for example), then segregating them from anyone they can harm will have to be good enough

    especially for young offenders.

    we were almost there, once

    James on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The earth is rumbling! It's coming from the south! :shock:

    Haphazard on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Craiglist types seem to charge for time Then again they are trying to lie and say they only give massages and since I never actually tried one I don't know if that is actually what they are charging for or if the difference between a half hour and an hour is really just a half BJ/half sex and bareback anal.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haphazard wrote: »
    The earth is rumbling! It's coming from the south! :shock:

    :O

    James on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That All Points Bulletin trailer that was linked looks rad as hell.

    Nocturne on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    actually this is kind of funny because i am writing a paper which argues against mandatory minimums and incarceration as a way of reducing crime right nooooowwwwwwwww

    James on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I had 4 feet of water again.

    The emergency pump failed.

    I have no heat or hot water.

    JustinSane07 on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You should start keeping otters. They are like dogs who live in water.

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sounds like your basement is more trouble than it's worth, Justin.

    Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Has Switzerland been swallowed by black holes yet?

    Aldo on
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    a large part of tackling rape, at least as far as young people go

    is that, well

    most of them don't even realize that they are committing rape

    this is something that really needs to be drilled into people's heads.

    This too. Although the story that was linked was most definitely not one of these cases.

    These guys were going from dorm room to dorm room looking for unlocked doors so they could break in and rape women.

    the reality is dudes like this Broseph trawling the residences looking for nubile freshmen to violate is not the majority of rape

    by a longshot

    the majority of sexual assault is committed by people well-known to the victim, and in a context where consensual sexual activity could've been possible, at least in the eyes of the perpetrator.

    which is why rapists default to a "it was consensual!" defense 9/10.

    the reality is most rapists do not acknowledge that what they did was rape. it's either confusion or outright active denial, but they will not accept that what they did was rape. they will insist that the victim wanted it, because they actually do believe that (or, are trying hard to believe it because they want to believe it)

    most rapists are not heartless sociopaths incapable of human empathy. for the most part, they're self-absorbed, ignorant jerks who care about their needs first and don't really consider the other person an equal or someone who "knows what they want".

    rapists are often not monsters and are usually just asshole-ish people who make some very critical and selfish errors of judgment

    Pony on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think I'd be more than happy to suicide bomb myself to kill mister Daniel Katsnelson there.

    That smug face, it just makes me wanna go all irrational on him.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    I think I'd be more than happy to suicide bomb myself to kill mister Daniel Katsnelson there.

    That smug face, it just makes me wanna go all irrational on him.

    considering the link Cass posted was to a feminist blog that had a warning about "triggering" ahead of time

    i am pretty sure the picture was specifically chosen by the person who wrote the post to invoke this reaction from you

    i am willing to wager it was taken from like, his facebook or some shit before he even got busted

    Pony on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes Pony I'm aware of that.

    But I was talking about this particular broseph, who I would classify as a monster.

    Nocturne on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Has Switzerland been swallowed by black holes yet?

    I don't think they let anything black in.

    Haphazard on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Has Switzerland been swallowed by black holes yet?

    Yes. It marks a bright new day for the continent.

    Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Yes Pony I'm aware of that.

    But I was talking about this particular broseph, who I would classify as a monster.

    oh, totally is

    dude should be locked up forever

    i would happily pay my tax dollars to keep a dude like that in prison the rest of his days

    i just don't believe we should rape or kill him

    Pony on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I like the otters suggestion.

    yawning.jpg

    JustinSane07 on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Has Switzerland been swallowed by black holes yet?

    I don't think they let anything black in.

    this was fucking ace, man, i wanted to let you know i literally laughed out loud

    Pony on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Has Switzerland been swallowed by black holes yet?

    I loved Prof. Cox's comment on this on Wossy the other night. The very scientific term of "bollocks".

    BobCesca on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man I'm betting a whole bunch of people will get really snippy with each other at the LHC over the next few weeks in that "holy shit don't break it now!" way.

    electricitylikesme on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    my room becomes a mess.

    so quickly. it blows my mind.

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    I think I'd be more than happy to suicide bomb myself to kill mister Daniel Katsnelson there.

    That smug face, it just makes me wanna go all irrational on him.

    considering the link Cass posted was to a feminist blog that had a warning about "triggering" ahead of time

    i am pretty sure the picture was specifically chosen by the person who wrote the post to invoke this reaction from you

    i am willing to wager it was taken from like, his facebook or some shit before he even got busted

    I saw another picture of him posing with some mayor. Not as douchey, still wanted to at least paralyze him from the waist down.

    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man I'm betting a whole bunch of people will get really snippy with each other at the LHC over the next few weeks in that "holy shit don't break it now!" way.

    yeah there's a lot of scientists with very nervous puckered anuses over in switzerland right now

    not gonna unclench them anytime soon

    Pony on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    Man I'm betting a whole bunch of people will get really snippy with each other at the LHC over the next few weeks in that "holy shit don't break it now!" way.

    yeah there's a lot of scientists with very nervous puckered anuses over in switzerland right now

    not gonna unclench them anytime soon

    Haha, the webcast has pretty much said exactly that. "It's stable, now we will touch nothing!"

    electricitylikesme on
This discussion has been closed.