As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want to go back "Home": The countdown to PAX East 2011

HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101!Behind YouRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
I miss everyone I met over the weekend! (I was the guy with the Power Rangers ringtone :)) Being that I'm not going to make it to Prime, I can only countdown till the next East.

Also, as a result of this weekend, I actually broke out my D & D books for the first time in a long time. I think PAX may have created a monster lol. Oh, the best part: My 8 year old twin girls rolled a character and want to play. I may shed a tear.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    inzenityinzenity Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Ha! I remember you.........r ringtone while we were waiting in queue. I'm "coming back home" next year too... hope to see you there!

inzenity on
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The only thing I'm changing about my experience this time is if it's at the Hynes again, I'm staying at the Sheraton instead of the Holiday Inn Brookline. I missed out on MC Frontalot and Jonathan Coulton because the trains stopped running at 12am. Guess I'll have to watch them on the DVD when it comes out.

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Next year we clearly need to organize a Power Rangers meetup, BTW, because I'm shameless in my fandom (of some of the newer series as well, but Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers represent!) and saw more than a few people walking around with PR t-shirts, bags or ringtones. :)

But yeah, I'm already salivating over next year's con, too, and will be watching like a hawk for the announcement of the dates so I can reserve a room ASAP. I absolutely loved my time at the con, a big Northeast con has been desperately needed for a long time, and there's no way in Hell I'm not coming home next year.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The only thing I'm changing about my experience this time is if it's at the Hynes again, I'm staying at the Sheraton instead of the Holiday Inn Brookline. I missed out on MC Frontalot and Jonathan Coulton because the trains stopped running at 12am. Guess I'll have to watch them on the DVD when it comes out.

Me and my girl were in the same boat. Just took cabs back. About $10 to get home. Totally worth seeing them.

Namrok on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    inzenity wrote: »
    Ha! I remember you.........r ringtone while we were waiting in queue.

Haha, yeah, everyone was like, "Is that a Power Rangers ringtone?" And then we stared around in awe.

I need a couple more days to catch up on sleep, but I'd basically be willing to go back this weekend.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Next year's gonna be at a different convention center in Boston, one closer to the South Side with capacity for 30,000!

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    inzenity wrote: »
    Ha! I remember you.........r ringtone while we were waiting in queue.

Haha, yeah, everyone was like, "Is that a Power Rangers ringtone?" And then we stared around in awe.

I need a couple more days to catch up on sleep, but I'd basically be willing to go back this weekend.

lol It went off my first night in the hotel bar (it's my twitter sound) and the whole bar was like "That's Amazing" I looked at my wife and said "See! These are my people!"

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The quote, "Home wasn't built in a day," never explains that "Home wasn't destroyed after 3 days." Miss ya all!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    H3YDH3YD Game Designer OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I miss you all too!

Hope to see some of ya at West! If not, I'll see you next year =(

<3

H3YD on
  • Options
    prenceprence Registered User new member
    edited March 2010

Next year's gonna be at a different convention center in Boston, one closer to the South Side with capacity for 30,000!

It's also further away from hotels, shopping, and restaurants. Not to mention the silver line is minuscule compared to the green line and it doesn't run nearly as often. I see a LOT of taxi business happening that weekend.

prence on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

How many people were in there at one time anyway? Saturday was crazy packed!

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    ROFLROFL Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    if they get Nathan Fillion my mom will be going to '11! xD I think that'd be fun! over 50 and going to her first gaming expo!! haha. She'd just be in the beanbags playing her DS I think lol
    And seeing Nathan Fillion of course. (she said today if he went she'd be buying her ticket the first day)

and I know my brothers and my friend and I (we were Neku and Joshua from TWEWY) are going! We're already homesick!

ROFL on
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am so pumped for next year.
    Sure, Nathon Fillion is my favorite actor, but that has nothing to do with it.
    No, really.

But honestly it's because it was a suprisingly awesome experience. I don't game too too much, so I didn't know if I'd fit in or not, but as soon as I saw how much action tabletop/D&D and Pokemon HG/SS was getting, I knew I belonged.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I REALLY want to get into tabletop games next time,I'm still homesick though... :(

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Options
    ian.samuelian.samuel Washington, DCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Totally homesick here too. I'm really glad that PAX is now a biannual event.

I'd never been to a gaming con before. And I was sort of anxious about the whole thing. I was going with a couple of buddies, but I still had no idea what to expect. Though I'd browsed these forums forever, I'd always just lurked and had no idea if I'd really fit in anywhere.

In a lot of ways, it was like the whole weekend was designed—engineered by Khoo himself—to prove that this was exactly where I belonged. That yes, These Are My People. Was the con fun? Sure. I had a hell of a lot of fun in pickup games of Dominion, in console freeplay, and of course as an Omeganaut. And I could probably attend Gabe & Tycho Q&A panels six times a week without getting tired of it.

But actually, the "con" itself—the stuff sitting around that's fun to do—was sort of secondary. I mean, 3D glasses are totally sweet, don't get me wrong. But what was really sweet was spending time with so many genuinely cool people. It was actually sort of absurd. I wasn't in a single line, event, or room without striking up a conversation and meeting someone new. (Unbeknownst to me, I even met a few of you. & y'all are, obviously, the coolest.)

We are, every last one of us, social animals. And PAX has got one of the best community cultures imaginable. It's up to us to keep it that way and I'm sure as shit going to do my part. Five months until Prime, right?

ian.samuel on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I missed out on the Gabe and Tycho panel, but them playing ACTION CASTLE after the keynote had me dying.

What really hit me was Wil Wheaton's speech. Everything he said resonated with me. He actually inspired me to get something accomplished in the gaming industry. I'm going to restart my website that I just couldn't run by myself a couple of years ago. I'm getting help from some people (and looking for more *wink wink*) and, by god, I am going to do what I love and have a passion for.

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I loved PAX East so much, that I think I might be going to Prime by myself. I loved Prime in '08 and fell in love with Seattle, and I just don't think I can wait a year for another PAX. It is my HOME.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2010
    Wil on his twitter really said it the way I feel about it.... #postpaxblues

I can't wait to go back :)

zerzhul on
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If it's at the BCEC then the hotel is going to be the Westin Waterfront (here's to hoping the convention uses their space as well, for there is plenty of it to be used). Has a direct connection via the second floor and to describe just the lobby, I use the phrase:

After you pick your jaw up off the floor...

Shuttle service can be set up, but the convention has to set it up. The hotel won't. Various resturants, bus lines, etc., may already have shuttles running back and forth to the hotel, but don't assume so.
    Also, ask the driver where he's going before getting on a shuttle. Most do not have anything to ID them on them.

Cabs are all over the place there. Parking is available but it's going to cost you (then again, there isn't anywhere in the city of Boston that doesn't cost you a fortune to park).

I run the game room for a convention held in February at the Westin so I know how to get around that area. As I said in another post, the area lacks a lot but buildings have gone up over the last 4 years the convention I help out has been there. When the hotel opened, it's left side wasn't there (that opened the following year). Restaurants have been going up along with other things but this can turn out to be a double edged sword.
    Reason being is because the area is turning into something of a businessman's playground (caters to business travelers) and as such the costs for food, etc., are sky high. The closest cheap eat is a McDonalds that's 3 city blocks away.
    Places will deliver, however, and the next time I'm at the clubhouse I'll see if I can pick up a restaurant guide the convention I help out uses. I do know that you can have pizza, italian, chinese, etc., all delivered to the hotel.
    The hotel itself has an Irish pub and a restaurant called Sauces, along with a Starbucks. I recommend ordering out based on the prices alone.

The good thing about the Westin is it's easy to drive to (for those driving in). EX: I take 93S into the tunnel to the Mass Pike exit. Bear right off that exit and it takes you to street level near South Station. Take a left and cross the bridge and it's on your right (you can't miss it).

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    LordDaxLordDax Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For the MtG fanatics, players and new converts looking to go to PAX East, I'm looking to create a possible PAX league along with some other events of a more casual nature( Quest givers in MtG?! Stay tuned or PM if interested in helping out! :mrgreen: ) if there is enough interest out there. I'm guessing there might be based on the sheer size of some of the tourneys.

LordDax on
    PSN/xFire-LordDax
    WoW - US Quel'Dorie - Daxius DwPr(Disc/Shadow) 80
    Give Back to those who serve us Become a Black Pie Day Pieoneer!
  • Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    undead wrote: »
    The closest cheap eat is a McDonalds that's 3 city blocks away.

A google maps search shows a Fresh City and Au Bon Pain in the area as well - is that true? Sure they're not McDonalds cheap, but definitely a budget friendly option. I'm not familiar with the area and won't be there till I attend Arisia in January.

The MCCA website shows PAX East to be April 1-3 next year. But, it also says it's at the Hynes still, so maybe that date will change now that they are moving to the BCEC.

stardust462 on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm so looking forward to going Home next year. I even bought a stupid countdown app on my iPhone to use when the official date is announced.

I'm going to make sure I hit a few other cons between now and then, but nothing will feel as amazing as PAX, I'm sure.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    what's this business everyone keeps mentioning about nathan fillion? where did that come from?

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    mei0023mei0023 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's already been penciled in on my 2011 calendar. And Tycho and Gabe, if you're listening: Same weekend next year! It's the tail end of my spring break, and I'm in law school, so I can't afford to skip out on classes! :(

mei0023 on
    XBL: s0ph14 | Currently playing: Bioshock 2 | On tap: Ocarina of Time
  • Options
    edited March 2010

A google maps search shows a Fresh City and Au Bon Pain in the area as well - is that true? Sure they're not McDonalds cheap, but definitely a budget friendly option. I'm not familiar with the area and won't be there till I attend Arisia in January.

The MCCA website shows PAX East to be April 1-3 next year. But, it also says it's at the Hynes still, so maybe that date will change now that they are moving to the BCEC.

I don't know about you, but just having a supposed date for PAC Easr 2011 has me excited :D

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Very possible for Au Bon Pon and such to be in the area. Alas, I do not get to go out for food at the convention I help run as I'm in gaming from 10am to midnight, nonstop (I usually order food, if I even do that). I'll be at the clubhouse I mentioned earlier on the 17th but I'll see if I can find the guide on-line before that.

If you'd like to find out more about the local cons, visit my yahoo group (that will actually put you in touch with all the upper staff/conchairs of the local cons in this area).

Tycho and Gabe, a favor if I may: please post the pertinent info (date and location) as soon as possible on the main website. I'm not along in saying I have to do some serious planning for next year, especially if you move to the BCEC.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    what's this business everyone keeps mentioning about nathan fillion? where did that come from?

Someone asked in the Q&A if they can bring Nathan Fillion to PAX, since there are so many Firefly fans. I think the plan is to bombard his Twitter account until he comes.

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
  • Options
    Link2077Link2077 Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Yes, I agree with the earlier commentator! I hope it is the last weekend of March again next year- this worked perfectly with the spring breakz.

Link2077 on
  • Options
    LadyofRohan55LadyofRohan55 Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I had so much fun @ Pax this past weekend!! My friend dressed up as Chun Li on Friday and a Heartless on Sunday! I cant wait for Pax 2011!!!!

LadyofRohan55 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Link2077 wrote: »
    Yes, I agree with the earlier commentator! I hope it is the last weekend of March again next year- this worked perfectly with the spring breakz.

yes please, either of the last two weekends in march would be aaawesome.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I agree. It was a perfect time to have PAX.

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    chiaroscurochiaroscuro Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    capnjack wrote: »

Someone asked in the Q&A if they can bring Nathan Fillion to PAX, since there are so many Firefly fans. I think the plan is to bombard his Twitter account until he comes.

This is a very good plan! All the Jayne hats made me very happy.

chiaroscuro on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    captain hammer?

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
  • Options
    TennbergTennberg Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

The MCAA website also shows the expected attendance for PAX East 2011 to be 9,000. Yes, 9,000. :lol:

Tennberg on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    LOL. Guess we'll have to surprise them next year. I wonder what the numbers for the convention running this weekend are on their site (attendance topped 15K last year)?

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    Commander CainCommander Cain Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I missed Wil's Panel because of my Flight arrival time but I was able to watch the whole thing on Youtube (thanks whoever uploaded it) but I still felt at "home" the whole time. This being my first PAX it really opened my eyes and may have even redirected my career path. Whatever happens it was still inspiring and I already feel "homesick" and can't wait to retun. My best friend loved it and he has never even read PA before.

A few of my friends, who also aren't even PA fans saw the pics and heard me talk about it now want to come with me next time. One of them is even considering going to Prime cuz he doesn't want to wait a full year lol.

Commander Cain on
    E68SJmZ.png
  • Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

ahh gotcha. thanks. must have been the sunday q&a because I don't remember hearing that at friday's q&a.

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    cuennascuennas Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i wish i was back there now i know we hae to return to real life but i felt right at home there it was my first pax and i loved it some much just sad i didnt get to do everything i wanted if there was more time i so would hve been amazed by it. to all the ppl i meet thanks for showing me a good time. and if anyone see gnome(the kid from the d&d game who died on the floor/ cookie seller for the cookie bragade) tell him cruennas and lopez say wats up and were did u disappear to

cuennas on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

ahh gotcha. thanks. must have been the sunday q&a because I don't remember hearing that at friday's q&a.

Yeah, it was Sunday's Q&A.

capnjack on
  • Options
    agracruagracru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    PAX East was my first PAX, and it won't be my last. 2011 can't come fast enough.

agracru on
    You can't debate Ann Coulter because it would be like debating a Dadaist on why the sugarsnorklefickle 70,300.00 burglefish$ camera.

Something Useful To Everybody: My movie blog
This discussion has been closed.