As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] Beta get something to fix those busted jeans. How about a patch!

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Streltsy wrote: »
    an even match-up.

Well, right. Sure, it's an even match of skill. Cool, tournament, whatever. But before, against me, you were probably guaranteed a win.

Since I'm curious how it might have gone, want to play a match now?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    so the tournament bracket has not been released correct?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrontierPsychiatryFrontierPsychiatry Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not only are these terrible zvz games long macro games, the actual battles are the most boring possible battles where a huge clump of units that shoot slowly and take 10 shots to kill each other sit there for like 5 minutes shooting until one side is done. God it's so bad.

FrontierPsychiatry on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not only are these terrible zvz games long macro games, the actual battles are the most boring possible battles where a huge clump of units that shoot slowly and take 10 shots to kill each other sit there for like 5 minutes shooting until one side is done. God it's so bad.

Bright side.

It's beta!

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I doubt we will be seeing many major gameplay altering changes before release. Even the massive roach nerf from the last patch hasn't really changed their place/importance much.

rts on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    so the tournament bracket has not been released correct?

Everyone in the tournament needs to read this! It contains all the information for the tournament!
    Tournament Stuff!
    Alright, I have the bracket all done so I'm going to go ahead and post this stuff now

Round One Matchups
    TheSuperWoot
    Sevorak

Retzinsky
    SLyM

hiigaran
    Projectmayhem

McSnuggles
    DasUberEdward

TheStig
    Saaruto

Mgslee
    Arkan

Yran
    No Great Name

Streltsy
    Munkus Beaver

mEEksa
    Tcheldor

Cakemikz
    Dr.Tongue

Iowa
    Tossrock

Inquisitor
    Sabo

CycloneRanger
    Zore

Walrus von Zeppelin
    wakkawa

Tournament Information
    If your name appears bolded above that means you are the lower ranked seed in your first round matchup and as such you get to pick which map your round one game will take place on. I need every one of the lower seeded players to PM me your map of choice before Sunday!

Here is how the tournament is going to happen: There will be two rounds of single elimination games where everyone plays. (28 players to 14 to 7.) After the second round of single elimination games the top ranked player remaining will get a bye into the semi finals; then the 6 remaining players will play one more final elimination to select the final four.

The semi finals will be a best of 3 with the lower ranked opponent choosing the first map and the loser of each game choosing the next. The finals and third place matches will each be best of 5 with the same map selection rules.

Pre-Tournament Stuff
    Before the tournament begins I would like everyone to head on over to the Steam group I have created. This is only because of the party limit in game and I want to have a way to get everyone together before the games start so we can go over last minute questions, etc. If you don't have Steam hop in game a couple of minutes before hand and I can answer any questions beforehand.

The tournament takes place on Sunday, April 11th at 4pm est (2pm Mountain, 1pm Pacific) please be in the Steam group chat a few minutes beforehand!

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shouldn't infestors and hydralisks counter roaches, though? Immobilize them, then kill 'em from greater range.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have to say, I do not like this map choice thing. It makes the whole process a million times more complicated than it has to be.

rts on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    cakemikz wrote: »
    I have to say, I do not like this map choice thing. It makes the whole process a million times more complicated than it has to be.

I think this is the only time I am going to try it, of the 14 games I have received 5 map choices so far.

edit: every time we run this tournament it will get better as we refine the process, this is only the 2nd time we have ran it :)

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    how does 'toss counter mass marauders?

shit couldn't even get to them to hit them :\

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ZvZ is lame

Alright, what the hell is your profile picture of? I've been wondering for awhile and tineye can't find anything.

maybe you should read penny arcade

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

3 immortals kill infinite marauders and that is science

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll start a new thread tomorrow morning. Good night and happy crafting of stars.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why are zerg players so afraid to get burrow? It makes roaches and banelings a lot better, as well as drones if your mineral line is attacked. It's cheap and easy to get early too!

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Use void rays, colossi, high templar with psi storm, or immortals.

Your choice of units will depend on what he has in addition to marauders. Lots of marines? Go for colossi or HTs. Other mech? Get void rays or immortals.

Beware immortals and ghosts, though. The immortal is probably the strongest ground unit in the game (losing 1v1 only to a Thor using bombardment cannons) but it relies heavily on its shield.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shouldn't infestors and hydralisks counter roaches, though? Immobilize them, then kill 'em from greater range.

Not really, because infestors are higher tech than roaches and a mass of roaches can be built to critical mass really quick (and hydralisks cannot take roaches).

The real problem with Zerg is the roach. It's an overpowered unit comparatively that has two extremely strong counters (Marauder/Immortal) both of which throw out game balance everywhere else. There is a trinity of bad units in SC2 (Roach - Marauder - Immortal) who need to be toned down IMO to make the game more varied and fun. They've made a great start with Marauder needing an upgrade and Roaches being nerfed, but I feel Roaches need to be nerfed further and other things in the Zerg army need a buff. Immortals also need a few nerfs, I think their shield power (Hardened shields) should be an upgrade and their ridiculous +30 damage against armored targets toned down (especially if Roaches get a HP nerf).

I think of the three races in SC2, Terran and Protoss is by far the best. Zerg is my favourite race but I really feel they are a giant mess and my personal opinion is that the Roach is what is breaking Zerg. The roach could use a couple more nerfs or made interesting and other units buffed. This should see more dynamic play and more than Roach ball vs. Roach ball in ZvZ.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »

Not really, because infestors are higher tech than roaches and a mass of roaches can be built to critical mass really quick (and hydralisks cannot take roaches).

The real problem with Zerg is the roach. It's an overpowered unit comparatively that has two extremely strong counters (Marauder/Immortal) both of which throw out game balance everywhere else. There is a trinity of bad units in SC2 (Roach - Marauder - Immortal) who need to be toned down IMO to make the game more varied and fun. They've made a great start with Marauder needing an upgrade and Roaches being nerfed, but I feel Roaches need to be nerfed further and other things in the Zerg army need a buff. Immortals also need a few nerfs, I think their shield power (Hardened shields) should be an upgrade and their ridiculous +30 damage against armored targets toned down (especially if Roaches get a HP nerf).

I think of the three races in SC2, Terran and Protoss is by far the best. Zerg is my favourite race but I really feel they are a giant mess and my personal opinion is that the Roach is what is breaking Zerg. The roach could use a couple more nerfs or made interesting and other units buffed. This should see more dynamic play and more than Roach ball vs. Roach ball in ZvZ.
    I agree for the most part, but I see a potential problem against Terran if the roach is nerfed further. Right now marines fight roaches at a disadvantage, but with numbers or favorable terrain they can still win. The roach is currently the Zerg counter to marines, and if it were nerfed any further it'd be unable to do that effectively. Zerglings, hydralisks, and mutalisks all lose to marines (zerglings less so than the others, but with a few medevacs even they become mostly ineffective). Obviously ultralisks or the mighty broodlords will win against marines, but those are both tier 3.

Actually, nevermind that my lads! I forgot about banelings.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I agree for the most part, but I see a potential problem against Terran if the roach is nerfed further.

I did say to buff other aspects of zerg and not just nerf the roach, but I want to see the roach turned down as "automatically better than all these units". This means that Terran/Protoss don't need such a ridiculous counter and that too, will mean marauder/immortals can be toned down to something more reasonable as well.

Like ZvZ is the worst, all the games I've won (Albeit not many, I can only play the beta at my friends house - then again at least I *can* play so I shouldn't complain too much) it's mass Roach vs. mass Roach. It's just lame. On the other hand when I lose it's always because I try to do something other than massing a bunch of boring roaches. I would really like to see Zerg gameplay made more diverse and fun than "Roach or lose". Minding maybe there is something I'm missing to Zerg vs. Zerg...

Aegeri on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ZvZ is lame

Alright, what the hell is your profile picture of? I've been wondering for awhile and tineye can't find anything.

I do. I've read it since it first appeared on Loony games. What does your profile picture have to do with Penny Arcade?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ZvZ is lame

I do. I've read it since it first appeared on Looni games. What does your profile picture have to do with Penny Arcade?

I've probably read PA for 10 years, 3 times a week including the post. I don't know what it refers to and feel like you asked in a polite way and got a dickhead response back.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    FrontierPsychiatryFrontierPsychiatry Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would really like to see Zerg gameplay made more diverse and fun than "Roach or lose". Minding maybe there is something I'm missing to Zerg vs. Zerg...

Given that we just witnessed two top players both go mass roaches even after a huge roach nerf... it doesn't look like it.

In fact I don't think I've seen Idra lose a single ZvZ (at any rate he definitely wins most of them) and he just masses roaches every. single. game.

FrontierPsychiatry on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    musanman wrote: »
    ZvZ is lame

I do. I've read it since it first appeared on Looni games. What does your profile picture have to do with Penny Arcade?

I've probably read PA for 10 years, 3 times a week including the post. I don't know what it refers to and feel like you asked in a polite way and got a dickhead response back.

I think INeedNoSalt thinks his avatar is my avatar and this whole conversation is confusing him deeply.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I remember watching HayPro vs. some protoss (who was a pretty good player at that) and just overrunning the protoss with nothing but roaches.

And it's not like the protoss didn't build immortals, he actually "won" most fights but the zerg took the entire map. 100 food of roaches vs. 50 food of protoss units results in 20 food left of zerg units - but the zerg still win and come back with 100 food of roaches again very quickly.

With the exception of the TheLittleOne vs. WhiteRa I've not watched a single decent Zerg vs. anyone game. I can name numerous awesome Terran vs. Protoss games I've watched though.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ZvZ is lame

I do. I've read it since it first appeared on Loony games. What does your profile picture have to do with Penny Arcade?

my avatar is a girl vomiting chocolate. my profile picture is "No Heart, No Soul, No Service" from the PA comics about robots.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    ZvZ is lame

I think INeedNoSalt thinks his avatar is my avatar and this whole conversation is confusing him deeply.

Stig who the fuck are those guys in your avatar? What is that ctrl+alt+del or something jesus find a different forum!

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ugggggggghhhhhhhhhh

They need to really increase the mineral/gas/supply text size, that shit is too tiny and ignorable at 1920x1080.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ugggggggghhhhhhhhhh

They need to really increase the mineral/gas/supply text size, that shit is too tiny and ignorable at 1920x1080.

oh I feel soooooo sorry for you while I play on lowest settings and still crash in big 2v2 games

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ugggggggghhhhhhhhhh

oh I feel soooooo sorry for you while I play on lowest settings and still crash in big 2v2 games

lol

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ugggggggghhhhhhhhhh

lol

If I had your cpu i'd give away my beta.

TheStig on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The worst thing is when you are using a holographic display and it's so realistic that you jump when something explodes near you. I mean, it's awesome, but it totally fucks up your micro.

Garthor on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Does it look like star craft 1 on those settings?

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ugggggggghhhhhhhhhh

lol

If I had your cpu i'd give away my beta.

Your settings are too low and your marines are emerging from the barracks deformed and in pain. There is only one thing to do.

Select your pistol and select your marines.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Maybe I'll take some screenshots later just so you guys appreciate what you have. It's actually totally decent and it plays perfectly smooth except for big 2v2 battles sometimes I get some slowdown. I'm guessing that will be fixed by release too.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh god I'm so terrible.

I just had my first game and I'm so lucky I'm pre-seeded in the copper league. I always had too much money, never really knew what I was doing, didn't have any sort of long-term plan, always seemed to get ruined, kept forgetting to scout or build units, MAN!

But then I realized "shit, he has zealots and immortals and that's about it. Fuck this noise, I am building void rays" and then I ran over his shit.

<3 this game!

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Maybe I'll take some screenshots later just so you guys appreciate what you have. It's actually totally decent and it plays perfectly smooth except for big 2v2 battles sometimes I get some slowdown. I'm guessing that will be fixed by release too.
    When I first tried playing SCII my video card was woefully inadequate. The game lurched and everything barely ran on the lowest settings. All the buildings and units looked like they were made of clay; I was getting a real Warcraft I vibe from the whole thing

My brother gave me an old video card (an NVidia 8800 GT; I shudder to think what he's using in his computer now) that lets me play comfortably on medium settings.

Of course, I had to scavenge another power supply, short out the part that detects if its plugged into a motherboard, and run a cable from that power supply into the back of my open case to power up that card. A man does what he has to do.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmm some rumors going around that there's been some match fixing going on in the Korean pro scene. Players getting paid off to throw games or whatnot.

Not that surprising I guess. Interesting though!

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Happens in all sports/competitive leagues that involve money.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    God I love Thors. I've been using them in both TvP and TvZ to great success. Against Z they are an excellent harassment unit (two shot queens) and basically force the Zerg into some sort of Zergling/Roach composition, which you can then roll over with MMM. Against P they provide a solid backbone to your MMM army, and absolutely destroy Collossi. With them, I don't even miss the Marauder slow :)

mEEksa on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, I'll be online for a while. Name is DeadMenRise.rime

Message me if you'd like to play; until then I'll probably be in ranked matches getting my ass kicked.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When I first tried playing SCII my video card was woefully inadequate. The game lurched and everything barely ran on the lowest settings. All the buildings and units looked like they were made of clay; I was getting a real Warcraft I vibe from the whole thing

My brother gave me an old video card (an NVidia 8800 GT; I shudder to think what he's using in his computer now) that lets me play comfortably on medium settings.

Of course, I had to scavenge another power supply, short out the part that detects if its plugged into a motherboard, and run a cable from that power supply into the back of my open case to power up that card. A man does what he has to do.

I have an 8800GT and I play on high graphics with some effects at 1920x1080 pretty comfortably. You can probably up your display settings without completely exploding everything in your computer...or so I'd hope.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID