As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Condemned: Criminal Origins - Set 9! And... finished!

SeriousStuSeriousStu Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
Hello! Welcome to my Let's Play of Condemned: Criminal Origins!

29z7j89.jpg?t=1269989220

Wtf is this game about?
Ya know what? I don't actually know, as this is a blind run. I know it's meant to be scary and involve fisticuffs, but that's as far as my knowledge on this game goes. Let's see what Wikipedia has on it...
Condemned: Criminal Origins (known in Asia as Condemned: Psycho Crime and in Australia as simply Condemned) is a psychological survival horror video game with brawler elements. The game was developed by Monolith Productions and published by Sega. It was launched fall 2005 worldwide the Xbox 360, with a Microsoft Windows version released later in 2006. The Windows version had little changes from the console version.

The developers cite such films as The Silence of the Lambs and Se7en as inspiration for their game. Monolith Game Designer, Frank Rooke, was also noteworthy of design collaboration in the game Tron 2.0, a sequel to the 1982 motion picture Tron.

The game uses a first person perspective. Condemned: Criminal Origins places an added emphasis on melee combat and puzzle solving, including searching for fingerprints and gathering evidence. It is firmly placed within the horror genre, and more specifically survival horror. The game also implements elements of psychological thriller. It was also notable at time of release for its cutting edge graphics and advanced artificial intelligence. Stylistically, Condemned shares many similarities with Monolith's own F.E.A.R..
Upon release, Condemned was met with moderate to good reviews by many aggregates and critics. Many reviewers cited poor storyline and progression as the game's biggest fault. As a reprieve, the game's solid controls and fresh approach to the horror genre were praised. This allowed for a sequel, entitled Condemned 2: Bloodshot, to be released on March 11, 2008 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Other media forms include an internet prequel and a planned film adaptation to expand the Condemned universe.

How does your Let's Play work?
I'll be posting videos in groups of 3-4 so my sessions can be anything up to about 40 minutes. I'll update this thread whenever I upload a new set, posting them in spoiler tags below.
If there are any major plot decisions to make, I'll leave it up to you fine people to decide for me.

Please excuse the first set a little as I fumble with the controls a bit. To keep it really blind, I decided to not even test this one ahead and just went straight in recording. I had a quick peek at the controls before hand (I always have to as I play as a lefty, despite actually being a righty), but some of it didn't make any sense at the time so I had to look into the control options a couple times while playing.

I hope you enjoy this Let's Play! I'm hoping it'll be very scary. If you've any suggestions with anything (the way I play, the way I update, video/audio quality or whatever) please let me know!

The Videos!
Plus a link to the Playlist since for some reason it doesn't appear on my bloody profile page.

Set 1
Set 2
Set 3
Set 4
Set 5
Set 6
Set 7
Set 8
Set 9
Thanks for watching!

SeriousStu on

• Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Great, I can't wait to watch this when I get home. I've always wanted to check this game out.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Coincidentally I just started playing this on the 360!

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You're not Helloween!

:D

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sweet, always wanted to check this out. Looks good so far.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    KappusKappus Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I went through and played this game about 2 years ago in preparation for the sequel, which ironically enough I never played. *Logs onto Gamefly*

Kappus on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Great video and mic quality, but you probably don't have to read everything to us. I don't know anything about this game so I don't know if that'll come up a lot anyway.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hi guys,

Glad to hear the video and audio quality is up to par. I uploaded the 2nd set, though quite annoyingly I get lost for the most part in the first vid. Also, I still haven't used the Taser yet...

In this set, I get my first actual scare! Woo!

Enjoy!

SeriousStu on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    man those addicts sure were resisting arrest huh

Nuzak on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been meaning to pick this up to play through again, I do love it, except for
    Mannequins!!!!

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    part 2 is set as private stu

and here was me looking forward to officer thomas's police brutality half-hour

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cheers Nuzak, fixed!

SeriousStu on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, this was one awesome early game on 360, took me ages to beat it, so scary!!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I done gone uploaded more videos!
    Set 3 is, like, six fucking parts coz I didn't keep an eye on the time. I'll do my best to keep em shorter in the future.

Have to say, the game doesn't seem to be as creepy as I imagined it would be so far. Perhaps I expected a bit too much. Love the finishing moves though.

Oh well, time to play some more and hopefully get scared shitless!

Enjoy :)

SeriousStu on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hobo, meet heavy object, heavy object, meet hobo face.

Condemed is glorious, if a little slow at times.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    More freakin' videos, and the creepiness rating just shot right up. I felt quite uncomfortable throughout most of this set...!

New vids in the first post - Enjoy :)

SeriousStu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I detect a hint of Scottish accent?

This pleases me.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Missing a LeggMissing a Legg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Great series! Thanks for making the videos.

Missing a Legg on
    GT:Missing a legg
    PSN:Missing_a_legg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Good stuff man. The story is getting pretty interesting too.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jumping out your skin at your own shadow was a highlight.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hybrid wrote: »
    Good stuff man. The story is getting pretty interesting too.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Set 5 uploaded in the first post, cool guys!
    I can just see the hobo in the window, laughing his arse off as he steers the remote controlled dumpster down the alley way.

Enjoy!

SeriousStu on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I shall watch this with glee as a way of "catching up," before playing through the sequel (which was 9.99).

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SeriousStu wrote:
    "-Ninjas!"

*tazer snipe at 40 metres range*

"-smiley_smug.gif"
    I lol'd.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That 'hobo' clearly has access to special supplements and training. He threw a chunk of metal through a window and penetrated the wall! From 40 meters away, no less!

SeriousStu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to excuse all the poor game design decisions like Ethan Thomas Ethan constantly getting his FBI ass handed to him via sneak attack, or exploding fuse box, or being pushed down the stairs...

Cause this game was a 360 launch title, right? Let's assume we've grown out of that riffraff.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    The sequel has Bears

Bears in Houses.

The unofficial sequel to Snakes on a Plane

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I was just gonna say, I was at the shops this morning and found the second game cheap and picked it up. I'm looking forward to seeing whats its like.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    special supplements? i'll fucking say

i wanna know what anabolic steroids will let you take a fire-axe in the chest and keep you walking

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    i wanna know what anabolic steroids will let you take a fire-axe in the chest and keep you walking

Don't you see, Nuzak? The power was inside of you all along.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey Stu, is it possible to update the title when you put up a new set? Makes it easier to see when there are more videos to watch.

Great LP so far, I've enjoyed it very much! I was laughing pretty hard at your reactions the first time you did the special kills.

That was gold.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hybrid wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »

Don't you see, Nuzak? The power was inside of you all along.

and now all the chicks dig the rusty paper cutter blade lodged deep in my shoulder! thanks, hybrid!

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How many other LPs have you done, cause I'm really, really enjoying this. :^:

Loved that bit (can't remember which set) when you punched that guys head through the wall, I'm giggling as I think about it now.

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I remember this was one of the first xbox360 games I ever played.

And to anyone who thinks things are freaky now, the next two levels after the library, well...... lets just say that's when things get kinda weird.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Set 6 uploaded! Witness my awesome artwork in Part 2!
    New vids posted in the first post, as usual.

Getting really frustrated at Ethan's inability to do anything other than hit stuff. I think he'd make a really bad husband.
    How many other LPs have you done, cause I'm really, really enjoying this. :^:

Thanks! I've actually done a couple others - one on the original 1999 Aliens versus Predator game (not that new shit Helloween's doing! (comment is satirical - I've only had one go at the MP demo)) and another on Max Payne with the Kung Fu mod. I tried creating a new thread on the AvP one here when I first started it, but for some reason the forum wouldn't let me (may have been a security thing as I had just registered at the time).

I'll link to the Playlists later, or you can check my YouTube channel :)

SeriousStu on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It seems clear to me that Ethan traded his speed, and jumping abilities in exchange for the freakish ape like strength needed to rip pipes out of the fucking wall.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    Firmus_PiettFirmus_Piett Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Maybe those pills in the med kits aren't actually painkillers, they're obviously steroids!

Well, some kind of faulty steroid that only increases upper body strength anyways.

Firmus_Piett on
    camo_sig.png

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like these LP's. They feel like sitting beside a bro on the couch, watching him play.

*brofist*

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Set 7 has been uploading for your viewing pleasure! No masturbating please.

View the first post to find em!

SeriousStu on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SeriousStu wrote: »
    Set 7 has been uploading for your viewing pleasure! No masturbating please.

View the first post to find em!

Fantastic! Guess I won't be needing this anymore.

*throws the vaseline away*

Excellent LP so far Stu, i'm really enjoying watching it while I wait for more of Helloween and Ninjasnarl's LPs.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    More freakin' videos got uploaded. I guess I'm getting towards the end? That seemed sorta sudden, but at least I'm out of that damn farm house building... kind of?

Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion-that-might-not-actually-be-a-conclusion next time!

Vids be here!

SeriousStu on