As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heroes of Newerth: Get yer game on.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GGs the doc, though I hope you make less mistakes while sober. :P

Should you noobies wanna learn he's got me in a hon mood and I refuse to 100% pub anymore.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    softCactussoftCactus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Add me as "softcactus".

If anyone needs a hand with anything I've been playing this game constantly for the last 5 months on a slew of accounts.

So if you ever have any questions about lanes, items, heroes, etc etc etc. Feel free to hit me up, I usually have the game running minimized, Ill respond to any PMs in game.

softCactus on
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    slew of new people playing the game. ruins it for everyone...

-edit-

To the people that cant handle the assholes in the "community" get over it. You are being insulted on the internet. Big deal.

hadoken on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hadoken wrote: »

-edit-

To the people that cant handle the assholes in the "community" get over it. You are being insulted on the internet. Big deal.

New people is good, it means your game is growing. Without new people the game will die slowly as people stop playing. It's that elitist BS that ruins the game for everyone.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sevorak wrote: »
    hadoken wrote: »

-edit-

New people is good, it means your game is growing. Without new people the game will die slowly as people stop playing. It's that elitist BS that ruins the game for everyone.

Dont think i explained myself well.

Playing with new people in a team game where you are highly dependent on the performance of teammates and when those teammates dont know how to play and ruin your game for half an hour at a time, it sucks.

Sure, a million new players would be good. I just dont want to play with them until they learn.

hadoken on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Should you noobies wanna learn he's got me in a hon mood and I refuse to 100% pub anymore.

Actually, I did have a bunch to drink. Don't know how you knew that though.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kicked so much ass as Pharaoh that last game. 5-2-14 My assists were so high because Zeriah would usually heal me when I had someone trapped with me and would quite often get the finishing blow, but I don't mind since I'm getting healed. I love the mummie wall and people always underestimate the damage hellfire does early game.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think one large problem is that the rating system for both matchmaking and public games drops new players theoretically in the middle of the pack where they are promptly crushed. I'm not familiar with different rating systems, but I would think something that started out all new players at the bottom and then moved upwards in a ladder would be better so new players play against the worst and can then move up.

khain on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    greeble wrote: »
    Kicked so much ass as Pharaoh that last game. 5-2-14 My assists were so high because Zeriah would usually heal me when I had someone trapped with me and would quite often get the finishing blow, but I don't mind since I'm getting healed. I love the mummie wall and people always underestimate the damage hellfire does early game.

Best thing about hellfire, the clusterfuck it makes it for heroes with long attack animations.

hadoken on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A cousin who I had played quite a bit of DotA with recommended this to me a few months back and I tried it; while the heroes are basically just reskinned and prettier, it felt like none of my skills from WCIII carried over to this. Thus, it was discovered that in any game, regardless of what PSR was in the name or if it was "noob friendly", you're more or less treated like trash.

blehhhh, it was an abysmal experience and pretty much turned me off from the entire genre. Where the fuck did all of these assholes come from; they sure as hell weren't this plentiful in WCIII.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Actually, I did have a bunch to drink. Don't know how you knew that though.

You told me in the first game we played. Alternatively, voodoo.

And don't join noob only games, that's just people looking to boost their psr. Play nostats games or inhouses.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I will be playing in an hour or so. Find me in-game as Lunysgwen if you guys want a non-asshat team-mate.

Lunysgwen on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    khain wrote: »
    I think one large problem is that the rating system for both matchmaking and public games drops new players theoretically in the middle of the pack where they are promptly crushed. I'm not familiar with different rating systems, but I would think something that started out all new players at the bottom and then moved upwards in a ladder would be better so new players play against the worst and can then move up.

They'd have to redesign the system since ELO is zero-sum. Tiers is a better idea for what you seem to want.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Holy shit! How can people be such goddamn jerks? What is it about this game that attracts the worst of the worst? Playin one game, this guy just started playing right? I'm not great myself, but I know enough to give him some tips. The rest of the team was freakin horrible to him. Two of them added him to their ban list just cause he was new. And he was a pretty nice guy.

I literally wanted to tear my hair out.

The best part was when the self-appointed leader told me where to go, I said "you got it boss!" I guess he thought I was being sarcastic cause he spazed on me, told me to go suck a dick if I wouldn't listen to orders... I told him I was serious and not being sarcastic, but he still spent the next 15 minutes saying how retarded I was and how I should die. Turns out my stats where higher then his at the end of the game. Worst community I've ever seen, and that includes the blizzard forums.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    matchmaking is horrendous. not a single game without a leaver (on either my team or theirs)

valiance on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The #1 rule is ignore what pubbers tell you, whether it be helpful or not. Learn map awareness and you'll know what happens before it does!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I downloaded this game and was going to give it a shot. Never played DotA, and reading this thread makes me scared to play. Is the community really that terrible?

I've played a lot of WoW, and played with a lot of bad players who have wasted large chunks of my time, but I've never had the impulse to just lay into somebody for being bad. If they don't know any better, I at least try to teach them something. That doesn't sound like the case here.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    play nostats, you'll meet the community and not fudge your stats!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I downloaded this game and was going to give it a shot. Never played DotA, and reading this thread makes me scared to play. Is the community really that terrible?

I've played a lot of WoW, and played with a lot of bad players who have wasted large chunks of my time, but I've never had the impulse to just lay into somebody for being bad. If they don't know any better, I at least try to teach them something. That doesn't sound like the case here.

There are a ton awesome people that play this game, and a whole gaggle of silly geese.

I just played a matchmaking game with three dudes where we all had mics and worked together. Our fifth guy though 'didn't have speakers' [this is something you hear a lot for some reason] and flamed us for not typing out everything for him. He walked into several obvious ganks, then began to purposely feed [after killing my courier] when he realized he wouldn't be able to carry. He eventually left, but the last 4 of us made a pretty amazing last stand, even winning several big fights. You can't care about it though, if you want to like this game. Walk in expecting to lose half, win half of all the random games you play.

I mean I admittedly did awful that game, but people generally aren't geese to you as long as you are communicative and display a basic level of common sense [follow your friends, watch the minimap].

I'm on with a new account, as Ziegler.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm sorry. I find myself laying in to people now and again.
    The excessive pingers. Good god. Stop fucking pinging. If there is an enemy on the map, you don't have to ping him to alert us. If three of us are running towards an enemy through the woods, you don't have to ping. It is a safe bet we know he is there and, indeed, he is our target. If we're in their base with everyone dead, don't ping the 'rax WE ARE ALREADY ATTACKING IT.

Ping. Use sparingly or not at all.

If I /ignore, please include that person's pings. I feel this should be in the next patch.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Defunker wrote: »

There are a ton awesome people that play this game, and a whole gaggle of silly geese.

I just played a matchmaking game with three dudes where we all had mics and worked together. Our fifth guy though 'didn't have speakers' [this is something you hear a lot for some reason] and flamed us for not typing out everything for him. He walked into several obvious ganks, then began to purposely feed [after killing my courier] when he realized he wouldn't be able to carry. He eventually left, but the last 4 of us made a pretty amazing last stand, even winning several big fights. You can't care about it though, if you want to like this game. Walk in expecting to lose half, win half of all the random games you play.

I mean I admittedly did awful that game, but people generally aren't geese to you as long as you are communicative and display a basic level of common sense [follow your friends, watch the minimap].

I always say i dont have speakers. People mumble and grumble into their microphone with their silly american accents and i dont understand anything.

So all these new people, do you actually like the game? Ignore the assholes (as you would in real life) and tell me if you think its good or bad?

hadoken on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Defunker wrote: »

Lol, naw people are geese even if your good and communicate. I find a very common example is when a player is doing bad, and he blames OTHER players for his screw-ups. It then becomes a back and forth of brutal name calling and a rage quit.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I generally don't say anything during a game that is not game related. If someone says something to me that isn't game related, I pretty much just ignore it. I generally find that laying into someone won't help them do better, and trying to educate them is rarely effective, because they also can't take constructive criticism. Their reaction to, "DUDE YOU SUCK KILL YOURSELF PLZ," is often the same as that to, "Hey, could you save your stun for their tempest ult instead of nymphora?"

That said, the last time I played, I had a Succubus on my team that single-handedly turned the game around by actually responding to our criticisms (somehow ended up with a pub team that didn't throw insults around?!) and making an effort to learn and improve. We all gave him major props at the end. I like to think we made the internets a better place that night.

I do generally agree that the community is horrible, but then, so are most internet communities. I by no means think that DotA/HoN have some sort of monopoly on this. These games are unique simply in the ability for one of these people to completely destroy an entire hour-long game, and you can't do anything about it except truck on and try as hard as you can anyway.

I think the single most important thing they need to do is fix the kicking system. There's absolutely no reason for the other team to EVER vote yes on kicking someone. Because the only reasons you would want someone kicked are the same reasons they would NOT want someone kicked.

I will be playing on Tuesday night, possibly with my brother. Anyone interested in joining us?

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Options
    c4tchc4tch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    went 16-0 with succubus and 14-5 with behemoth yesterday - finally getting the hang of this game! i'll be on after 10PM EST

in-game name is firecane.

my favorite characters to play are behemoth, pebbles, armadon, succubus, p.wog, and i'm trying to learn accursed because apparently he is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick at tower diving people.

oh also glacius is cool for being a helpful bro.

c4tch on
    League of Legends: firecane
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    all you gotta do with accursed is put shield on yourself or a mate while running into the tower if the enemy is on low health. the luls will proceed.

Have you guys noticed the lack of news coverage this game gets?

hadoken on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thus, it was discovered that in any game, regardless of what PSR was in the name or if it was "noob friendly", you're more or less treated like trash.

blehhhh, it was an abysmal experience and pretty much turned me off from the entire genre. Where the fuck did all of these assholes come from; they sure as hell weren't this plentiful in WCIII.

This is a phenomena discussed many years ago.

215499488_8pSZr-L-2.jpg

Been playing on an alt account "Blends". Having an alt acct is nice for playing with new friends.

softCactus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The hero we get this week?

Fear the Chiprel!
    [Fear it!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The hero we get this week?

Fear the Chiprel!
    [Fear it!

Oh man, if that's what I think it is, it's going to be a copy of the goblin guy in DoTA who can suicide himself into enemy heroes.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Original Hero and no techies ever they said.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Still my biggest problem with HoN. It's got none of the fun heroes.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Accursed is plenty fun. Eh's orky enuff eh is.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    But he's not as good (or fun) as loa. :/

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Accursed is plenty fun. Eh's orky enuff eh is.

Speaking of Accursed.

http://replays.heroesofnewerth.com/match_replay.php?mid=36010904

Had that game a day or two ago. Accursed solo mid carry 4lyfe.

softCactus on
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    anybody wanna play?

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I am back as promised, are you still playing indica? i'll check your name on the 1st page list and add you

c4tch on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    aaaaaaand you are not on the list... hmm

I'll wrrrrrrrrrrrrrap this up!

i'll be on as firecane, just friend me/msg me - is there a common vent?

c4tch on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    new hero

Fuga on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fuga wrote: »
    new hero

tell me more..

valiance on
  • Options
    DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the ads on this page are kinda NSFW, but here's the skills:
    http://bayimg.com/MalCEaaCm

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    my username is san_shou or c0ncept404 if anyone wants to play.

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.