As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heroes of Newerth: Get yer game on.

• hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dis wrote: »
    Staff of the Master is definitely one of the best items you can get on Soul Reaper. I can't think of a better way to spend 4k gold.

Spend it on Codex?
    So when your Ultimate fails to kill the 1.5 second stun gives u enough time to do a Codex Blast.

Never get codex imo, giant waste of moneys.

On soul reaper i usually go for sacrificial stone, so get sustainer real quick and statboots., if you are doing extremely well get frostfield plate/totem of kuldra.

Or nomes wisdom, which is always good.

Also, Totem of Kuldra bro, better than codex :P

hadoken on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Match Making is so terrible.
    I fallen to 13XX bracket and now it's so hard to find players and players are so terrible.

Unless S2 fix MM I won't be paying for it because game will be unplayable in the 13XX bracket.
    And no way in hell will i pay US$20 to reset stats.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's a good thing team matchmaking is coming then.

SkutSkut on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    maybe.. if you're 1300.. you are terrible too..

Fuga on
  • ForfeitForfeit Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hadoken wrote: »
    On soul reaper i usually go for sacrificial stone, so get sustainer real quick and statboots., if you are doing extremely well get frostfield plate/totem of kuldra.

If you make Sac Stone on SR, start with the Glowstone, not the Sustainer. Between your heal and your passive, and a bottle or power supply, you shouldn't need the regen. The pure hp/mana will benefit you much more early game.

Forfeit on
    edited April 2010
    Forfeit wrote: »

If you make Sac Stone on SR, start with the Glowstone, not the Sustainer. Between your heal and your passive, and a bottle or power supply, you shouldn't need the regen. The pure hp/mana will benefit you much more early game.

Thanks mate, ill give it a go. That is something that i have been wondering lately. Also, managed to get frostfield plate on soul reaper the other day as first item since i was mid and... holy shit that thing makes you infinitely tanky as fuck....

hadoken on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    valiance wrote: »
    page-, pretentious what do you guys build on SR?
    When I said that SotM was a good item on him I was joking because SotM is actually horrendous on Soul Reaper.

I don't play Soul Reaper often, but when I do I build items like Nomes Wisdom, Plated Greaves, Void Talisman, Tablet of Command and Storm Spirit because these are items that are useful.
    i always go nomes and plated, but I often feel like i need both hp and mana at that point
    even aside from the ult increase you dont think the hp/mana pool increase is worth it?
    ill try tabcom/stormspirit/void but I distinctly remember people stacking hp/mana pool stuff on him in dota so confused as to why that isnt good.

valiance on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    so fayde is like the best hero,

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    page-, pretentious what do you guys build on SR?
    When I said that SotM was a good item on him I was joking because SotM is actually horrendous on Soul Reaper.

I don't play Soul Reaper often, but when I do I build items like Nomes Wisdom, Plated Greaves, Void Talisman, Tablet of Command and Storm Spirit because these are items that are useful.
    i always go nomes and plated, but I often feel like i need both hp and mana at that point
    even aside from the ult increase you dont think the hp/mana pool increase is worth it?
    ill try tabcom/stormspirit/void but I distinctly remember people stacking hp/mana pool stuff on him in dota so confused as to why that isnt good.

People were stacking hp and mana on him back around 6.58, before the bloodstone rework. That was when int carries were king, and Necro/Krob were top picks.

What happened is that Necro and Krob both got nerfs. Krob got her MS nerfed and Necro got his strength gain nerfed. Then bloodstone got reworked and the hp regen got nerfed. Without his manly strength gain and a killer item like bloodstone AND the buffing of physical dps, Necro can't get the hp to stand in the middle of a team fight for 5 minutes like he used to. Not without overfarming to the point where any other hero could do the same thing. This is why you seem him more as in a support and pushing role now, with a bit of ganking if he needs to. He can heal, he can quickly disable and kill a carry in a teamfight; he can't tank and carry anymore.

He may get a bit more use now (in dota), with the soul ring being such a good item, letting him push and help in team fights earlier. Getting support items on him seems like the way to go unless you're pubstomping. You can start with basic items like boots, battery (you should be getting battery on most heroes anyway), bracers. If you get the gold then manatube is a decent first step, because you can easily switch from sheepstick to sustainer -> sacrificial stone depending on how things go. I used to get ghost marchers early for last hitting, harassing, and chasing, but if you want to play it safer then plated greaves or steamboots are good options.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited April 2010
    When this game goes retail I wonder if 10% of the active folks will retain.
    It needs at least 10k active players or else the game will die.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    well, how many people have the little golden shields?

Drakmathus on
    edited April 2010
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    well, how many people have the little golden shields?

Wrong.
    The correct question is.
    How many people with their little golden shield are currently playing actively.

S2 claims 80,000 pre-purchase.
    The active population at all time now is 40,000 - 60,000. (With supposely alot of br and pinoy active)

So the question is as the game go retail how much of the active population will be left.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    Why do I need play currently? So I can play with smurf accounts and trolls? No thanks, I'll wait until they go to retail and stats aren't so easily manipulated.

Drakmathus on
  • ForfeitForfeit Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    Why do I need play currently? So I can play with smurf accounts and trolls? No thanks, I'll wait until they go to retail and stats aren't so easily manipulated.

The game is in beta. Stats don't matter.

I'll agree with you that playing by yourself and getting griefed by teammates is not fun.

If you have friends, play with them.

Forfeit on
    edited April 2010
    I'm saying that there is a significant portion of the gold shield population that is simply waiting for the retail launch. I do play with friends/clan members. If no one is available, I play no stats.

Drakmathus on
    edited April 2010
    Many people aren't willing to PAY because of what happen to Savage 2.

If HoN fails it might just become free to play like Savage 2.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    meh for 30 dollars even if the game collapsed tommorrow i'll have gotten more than my moneys worth.
    thanks for the info on SR page-
    how do those of you are better than average suggest a mid level player learns to improve? ive played dota for a long time and hon for nearly a year, but im kinda just stuck in the 1600 range

valiance on
    edited April 2010
    meh for 30 dollars even if the game collapsed tommorrow i'll have gotten more than my moneys worth.
    how do those of you are better than average suggest a mid level player learns to improve? ive played dota for a long time and hon for nearly a year, but im kinda just stuck in the 1600 range

Get a team and go pub stomp.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010

Get a team and go pub stomp.

well that I can (and do) do already :P
    I dont mean just raising my PSR artifically, I mean actually getting better, to the point where (if I have to) I can carry retard pubs to victory.

valiance on
    edited April 2010
    If you want to carry pubs then, besides picking a good carry, you should try and beat them where they're weak. Be aggressive and GANK like hell. Unorganized pubs are really easy to intimidate. You gank their lanes a few times and they'll start tower hugging or just keep dropping like flies, while your team will gain confidence and farm their lanes or whatever they're up to. If you've got a solid mid-late game dps hero and get a few important items early then you just keep pressing the advantage until they completely break and forfeit.

Even if you don't want to be the hard carry being more aggressive in general pays off more than it doesn't, if you use even a bit of judgment.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • donkyhotaydonkyhotay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Agreed, I never bought savage1 or 2 but played them quite a bit after they became free. That combined with enjoying the beta of HoN I figure they deserve $30 from me.

//edit: rumor says the open beta ends on 05/12/10 BTW

donkyhotay on
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether
    edited April 2010
    I think within 6 months the price will fall to US$19.99

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    donkyhotay wrote: »

Agreed, I never bought savage1 or 2 but played them quite a bit after they became free. That combined with enjoying the beta of HoN I figure they deserve $30 from me.

Check thread title. :mrgreen:

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • donkyhotaydonkyhotay Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    donkyhotay wrote: »

Check thread title. :mrgreen:

Oops... hadn't noticed that. :oops:

donkyhotay on
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether
    edited May 2010
    This game is going to FAIL.

The currently game is unplayable when your PSR gets too low or your leaves gets too high.
    The current solution is to pay US$20 for reset.

Unless S2 makes reset free people who doesn't pay for reset will be unplayable.

<Leaves>
    Getting Random DC gets u a leave
    Getting Kick gets u a leave

How can you lower leave % if you cant join games?
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...d.php?t=113571

MM and leaver percentage

How do you expect people to go from a higher than 5% leave to lower than 5% leave if they aren't allowed to play any MM games at all once they exceed 5% leave.

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...d.php?t=112421

<PSR>

So what to do when you are in the 1300+ bracket?

What am I to do? I get kicked from every game that is 1400+ and all other games are "noob" games.

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...d.php?t=113021

<Conclusion>

Because of S2 lousy stats tracking it give rise to a whole lot of new problems which makes the game unplayable.

And the solution for these problem currently is to pay US$20 for a stats result.

Unless S2 make stat reset free so people won't have to pay extra to make the game playable again this game will FAIL.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, that depends Dis. It depends quite simply on how large a percentage of their paying userbase are at risk of falling under one of those two categories. If it is, say, 20%, then they have a large problem. If it is 5% then it might not make that much of a difference.

The PSR system is there to stay, as is the leaver policy. Due to the nature of the game they are necessary.

Edit: I got a glimpse of how the game could be when I played some nostats games. I do not think a single match ended with both teams having all players left. And by end I do not mean the tree/portal getting destroyed, I mean last long enough that it was clear what side was going to win.

Vic on
    edited May 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    Well, that depends Dis. It depends quite simply on how large a percentage of their paying userbase are at risk of falling under one of those two categories. If it is, say, 20%, then they have a large problem. If it is 5% then it might not make that much of a difference.

The PSR system is there to stay, as is the leaver policy. Due to the nature of the game they are necessary.

Edit: I got a glimpse of how the game could be when I played some nostats games. I do not think a single match ended with both teams having all players left. And by end I do not mean the tree/portal getting destroyed, I mean last long enough that it was clear what side was going to win.

5% is a large problem.
    Because when the game goes retail the player base is going to drop to around 10k at best.
    Currently people can make a new account to solve the above issue because it's open beta.
    But when it goes retail people will have to pay US$20 to do so.

Buy a game for US$30 with leave tracking and psr that punish you and makes the game unplayable and then make you pay US$20 for reset to make the game playable again.

No way in hell I will support such a lousy game mechanism.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    I don't see you making any new arguments. Quite simply, free stat resets would cause a lot more problems than it would solve. The 1400-1600 bracket would basically become what nostats and low-tier matchmaking is now, leavers almost every game and no way of knowing a players actual skill level.

I can see that it is tough to fall into the 1300 bracket, but the leave percentage part should at least be pretty manageable. The game is not playable if you have a very unstable connection, but then again you should not play it with a very unstable connection for the sake of the other players on your team anyway.

Vic on
    edited May 2010
    Vic wrote: »

5% is a large problem.
    Because when the game goes retail the player base is going to drop to around 10k at best.
    Currently people can make a new account to solve the above issue because it's open beta.
    But when it goes retail people will have to pay US$20 to do so.

Buy a game for US$30 with leave tracking and psr that punish you and makes the game unplayable and then make you pay US$20 for reset to make the game playable again.

No way in hell I will support such a lousy game mechanism.

Listen to this man.

This game shouldnt have built in stat tracking that segregates people so much that some simply cant play with others anymore. Its a ridiculous scenario, would be fair enough if the game was free to play but it wont be.

This is extra retarded considering how fucking hard the game is, when i started playing last year my stats dropped to 1100, i had to make a new account to play again....

hadoken on
    edited May 2010
    Listen to this man.

This game shouldnt have built in stat tracking that segregates people so much that some simply cant play with others anymore. Its a ridiculous scenario, would be fair enough if the game was free to play but it wont be.

This is extra retarded considering how fucking hard the game is, when i started playing last year my stats dropped to 1100, i had to make a new account to play again....

Thanks for the support 8-)

I just made a new Sig at S2 forum.

<Sig>

High Leaves due to kicks or DC giving you Leaver Stats and can't join Matchmaking?
    Low PSR and unable to join Public Games?
    Unwilling to pay S2 US$20 for stats reset after game goes retail?
    Already pre-purchased the game?
    Ask for your refund at support@heroesofnewerth.com

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    Either way, if you have to be good at the game to get any enjoyment out of it (and thus, value), then they're erecting a barrier that will kill it through attrition.

In 6 months or a year what will it be like for new players? Who would possibly buy a new copy? And people WILL leave, either to play other games of the type or just because. This has happened with other competitive games (Virtua Fighter is a prime example), but none of them were built on being good at them to the same degree.

At least DOTA and CPMA have the excuse of being mods for existing games, so people can put in as much time or effort as they want, but they can get their dollar value elsewhere.

On the other hand, as a competitive community shrinks the assholes become easier to avoid, and there's a pendulum swing back toward newbies as people finally realize that they need fresh blood to keep it alive.

I'll be neat to watch.

Page- on
    stream
    edited May 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Either way, if you have to be good at the game to get any enjoyment out of it (and thus, value), then they're erecting a barrier that will kill it through attrition.

In 6 months or a year what will it be like for new players? Who would possibly buy a new copy? And people WILL leave, either to play other games of the type or just because. This has happened with other competitive games (Virtua Fighter is a prime example), but none of them were built on being good at them to the same degree.

At least DOTA and CPMA have the excuse of being mods for existing games, so people can put in as much time or effort as they want, but they can get their dollar value elsewhere.

On the other hand, as a competitive community shrinks the assholes become easier to avoid, and there's a pendulum swing back toward newbies as people finally realize that they need fresh blood to keep it alive.

I'll be neat to watch.

Which is why this game will FAIL at retail.
    New players are getting punished.
    And they have to pay US$20 to get out of jail for a stat reset.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Listen to this man.

Thanks for the support 8-)

I just made a new Sig at S2 forum.

<Sig>

High Leaves due to kicks or DC giving you Leaver Stats and can't join Matchmaking?
    Low PSR and unable to join Public Games?
    Unwilling to pay S2 US$20 for stats reset after game goes retail?
    Already pre-purchased the game?
    Ask for your refund at support@heroesofnewerth.com

Your argument sucks as you're taking two separate issues and trying to present them as one problem. On the leaver issue, unless they changed something you can't be kicked in a matchmaking game so the only way to get a high amount of leaves is to either leave games voluntarily or DC a ton. Given that even a single leaver essentially ruins the game and wastes 30+ minutes so if you DC more than 5% of the time then you need to find another game to play. On the PSR issue while I don't track low psr games I've seen multiple 1300+ and lower games and that's with the system currently being gamed with new accounts. If you can't create new accounts then I would expect more low psr games and if you only play matchmaking then this isn't even a issue since it will find games for you.

Maybe the game will fail anyway, but I would expect that to be because it isn't free and it's competitors are, not because of the matchmaking system, the leaver threshold, or the psr rating all of which make the game significantly better for the average player when you compare it to battle.net.

edit: No one has given a reason why being low PSR or MMR if you're actually bad is a bad thing. If you're playing solo then use matchmaking and your rating will tank at the start and as you get better increase again. I'm not really seeing a problem unless there's a point where matchmaking won't find a game if your MMR is to low.

khain on
    edited May 2010
    Do I need to dig out a screenshot of someone in 13XX PSR queuing for over 2h in Matchmaking?

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    PSR doesn't effect matchmaking so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove and at least when matchmaking first came out there were numerous bugs with it including random people getting stuck in the queue for hours. If instead you're talking about 13XX MMR then I don't think the current test is valid since like I said before people can game the system with new accounts. If the system on launch won't find low MMR people a game after a reasonable amount of time then apparently whoever designed the system is an idiot, but like I said I don't think that will be the reason HoN potentially fails.

khain on
    edited May 2010
    khain wrote: »
    PSR doesn't effect matchmaking so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove and at least when matchmaking first came out there were numerous bugs with it including random people getting stuck in the queue for hours. If instead you're talking about 13XX MMR then I don't think the current test is valid since like I said before people can game the system with new accounts. If the system on launch won't find low MMR people a game after a reasonable amount of time then apparently whoever designed the system is an idiot, but like I said I don't think that will be the reason HoN potentially fails.

PSR does affect matchmaking.
    If you are 13XX, it group you with people in 13XX only.
    Which is why it takes a long time to MM at high or low PSR.

Anway let's wait for retail.
    It will be interesting to see what are the problems plaguing the retail players and what S2 does to fix them.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

It will be interesting to see what are the problems plaguing the retail players and what S2 does to fix them.

Doesn't matchmaking have a totally separate rating it uses? The e-mail they sent me mentioned something called SMR used for matchmaking.

Etiowsa on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Etiowsa wrote: »

Doesn't matchmaking have a totally separate rating it uses? The e-mail they sent me mentioned something called SMR used for matchmaking.

SMR/TMR single matchmaking and team match making, and if you're struggling in the 13xx category well, play nostats.

SkutSkut on
  • DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dis are you sure you're not just trolling us?

If you're 1300, then join 1300 games. There are plenty of them. Don't join 1400+ games and complain when you get kicked.

You obviously need to stick to public games for the exact reasons you mentioned yourself.

You don't get to play games marked for 'No Leavers', when you consistently ruin games by leaving. There's an option to filter out those games in the browser.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2010
    It is a bit odd actually, and shows the skewed view of the PSR system we have got from playing the beta. After all, considering the point of the PSR system there should be a 1300 PSR player for every 1700 PSR player.

The queues for 1300 PSR players are unreasonably long because you can reset your stats for free, and thus no players stay at that level. Also, PSR being more important will lead to more no-stats games being created giving people unfamiliar with the game a way to learn.

Vic on