As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Get-In-Shapeathon

• Options
    astillacastillac Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Meh, not registered then. No way I can do it. I'll sit here with FacelessCog and cheer y'all on. :D

astillac on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's another attempt at posting my photo. It's the same picture I tried to post before, taken on 4-10, so I hope it still counts.
    2010-04-10-16h48m21.jpg

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure if this has been posted already but I stumbled upon it yesterday and watched up to #15. Some people here may find it inspirational!

http://www.youtube.com/user/GetFitGamer

nerve on
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    nerve wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been posted already but I stumbled upon it yesterday and watched up to #15. Some people here may find it inspirational!

Oh yeah, he's part of the PAX Twitter group. He's doing a great job with the video blogs! I like the recent one showing his weight-loss equivalent in hot dogs.

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Since I remember someone mentioning posting updates on Sunday. Here is my most recent weigh:
    0418001000.jpg

Down from 239.4, I'll take it. :mrgreen:

ransim on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Here's my weigh-in from this morning:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25533577@N06/4531197082/

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Mystral721 wrote: »
    nerve wrote: »

Oh yeah, he's part of the PAX Twitter group. He's doing a great job with the video blogs! I like the recent one showing his weight-loss equivalent in hot dogs.

Ohhh, bahaha. I was wondering how I found it! Looking through my tweet history; it was from him posting the link :lol:

nerve on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's my Sunday pic...351.4...started at 356...ROXOR!
    photokhz.jpg

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been updating my original post if anyone was looking for me. :)

Rebecca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Today's weigh-in (-9.6 lbs :) )
    Apr25weigh-in.jpg

Mystral721 on

• Options
    RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow everyone is kicking their ever shrinking butts. Keep it up!

Rebecca on
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been away visiting family, I'll update as soon as I get a new battery for my stupid scale. Good Job, so far everyone! I don't think I'll be on the "improved" list this week lol... Gotta get a steady routine and schedule going again.

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'll get my new picture up tonight hopefully...down below 350...woo hoo!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sorry for the delay in getting this one up but here's my scale pic:
    photoqj.jpg

Almost 10 pounds off...w00t!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Weigh-in for today:
    a40ff158.jpg

Not much change on the scale. I'm still eating right but now I've started working out, too. The BMI reading on my scale keeps going down so I know I'm gaining muscle while losing weight. Still wish the scale read in the 270s, though.

Mystral721 on

• Options
    StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sorry I have been so bad about weighing in! Things have been really busy so I have been out of the loop. I am going to try and get back on track this week and do my weigh in next Sunday.

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    VonXWolfensteinVonXWolfenstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Due to money restraints I only attend PAX Prime (since it is not as far to travel) but would love to get in on this. I obviously would not compete for the prize, but would love to join in the friendly competition and support of fellow gamers trying to better their physical selves. So if you don't mind me tagging along, consider me in, and with only 119 days to go til PAX Prime, I need all the motivation I can get!

On another note, it is awesome to see how well you are all doing. Good job and keep it up!

VonXWolfenstein on
  • Options
    LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hi all, hope you are all doing well towards your goal. Im around on target with about 8 pounds lost in the last month. Hoping I can do better next month though.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My latest weigh-in:
    71fc2c7a-1.jpg

Last week was the same as the one before, so I didn't post. Looks like I'm finally moving past that plateau.

Mystral721 on

• Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just posting an update. I'm still doing this but I've had some family emergencies and set backs. Hopefully in a few weeks things will get back to normal and I'll be back to posting regularly.

Sorry.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I guess I'll chime in too, had a rough time with my wife's birthday but now I'm back on track, hoping to post another picture when I weigh-in next Sunday!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Bigmike64Bigmike64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow, just caught this today. I think what you are all doing is really great, and I'd love to join in! If I can't join in the contest that's fine, but I'd still love to be a part of this and update regularly with you guys if that's ok.

Name: Mike
    Local: New York
    Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 256

I'll be shooting for 220 or less (-35 lbs) by PAXeast, and hopefully something in between by PAXprime this summer. I've been on and off dieting/exercising for a while now. At one point I was getting close to 280, so I'm inching my way down I guess.

Eating has never really been the big problem for me. I just have to find the will power and resilience to get up and go to the gym every morning. It seems like whenever I'm on a good streak, one little thing happens to throw me off, I stop exercising, and I'm back to square 1. So, I'm hoping that having some accountability and updating every Sunday with you guys will be just what I need to keep going.

I have a lot more thoughts on this, but I won't talk your ears off just yet. Instead, I'll seeya on Sunday!

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oops! Forgot to update yesterday.

First weigh in: 256.6

Gotta admit...I thought there'd be a little more noise in this thread...

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think many have dropped out 'cause there is only usually like 1-2 updates each week ;D

nerve on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm still in it, just haven't gotten time to post pics...current weight is at 346.8...11 lbs down now :)

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nice Zero! Grats!

@nerve
    Well I would love to change that. I still really believe in this idea, and Limond, you're a genius for putting this together! I think many of us who are out of shape already think of PAX as a milestone for our weight goals. To have a community of people that aren't afraid to talk about it, and who are willing to support each other, I think, would be a real breakthrough for our kind. After all, the best thing about PAX is the people, because no matter where you're from, we are all family for those three days. I think this idea fits in perfectly with the original goals of PAX, and I would love to see this taken to a larger scale one day, like a panel which some of you mentioned before.

So, if you're reading this, and you genuinely want to see some change in yourself, please join us. I'll be here to cheer you on all the way.

/end motivational rant

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Updating on Sundays is difficult for me. I've also been putting of/ignoring updating because I'm not showing much improvement. I lost about 6 lbs and then one day suddenly gained 2 back and haven't budged from there in a couple weeks. It's especially frustrating because I don't know what changed.

I noticed that panel submissions are now open. The idea of a weightloss-related panel has been mentioned. I love the idea. Anyone looking to take the reins on that one? Are we waiting for next PAX East before trying the panel?

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'd say let's see how this goes as a group and if we're able to muster up any ideas, assuming this experiment is successful (which I have no doubt it will be) then maybe for the 2012 PAX East we could think about creating a panel and we could present ideas, tips, and tricks...just my $0.02

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ugh... About a week after this thing got rolling, almost every facet of my life changed. I do apologize that I haven't updated once, but that's because I have not been working out or doing anything, really, to get healthier due to having to move/being broke/lots more excuses. I think I'm going to bow out in deference to those who have kept it up while I've sat on my ass. I will work out, and may even post my progress here, but other things need to get in order first. Good luck guys!

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    No picture but current weight is 277.5 Kind of flatlined for a few weeks at 280. Need to get back on track. Still have many months to go though. (Was just shy of 300 at the beginning of the year so over all not complaining at all, just need to work harder)

To the new comers though you are welcome to join in, but not eligible to win unfortunately.

I will try to be posting here more often. Remember to drink more water

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

• Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sorry I've been bad at updating! PAX East is just so far away (D:), so I've been focusing on more short term goals right now (PAX Prime).

I do have one cool update though -- I got one of those fancy hydrostatic body fat tests done yesterday, and I'm down to 170lbs and 36% body fat (which is much lower than I was expecting)! I also found out that I'm an inch taller than I thought I was, which makes my BMI better (this is one of the reasons that I think BMI is a kinda crappy measurement).

Anyways, keep up the good work, everyone :D

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey guys!

@shugarae
    Nice! That test sounds pretty cool. Its nice to have something that gives you hard facts like that every once in a while, instead of these scales that seem to go up and down from hour to hour. I'm glad you were pleasantly surprised with the results! I admit, I also have PAX Prime on my mind right now, rather than PAX East just yet.

@punzie and itzerokewl
    I think that's a good idea. Let's see how this plays out first, and then we can talk more about it. I would love to be a part of putting the panel together when the time comes. Not that I have any experience in doing anything like that, but I have so much confidence in this succeeding!

@Limond
    Thanks for the welcome! No prob at all about the contest. I think I'd like it better this way actually. Also, extremely good tip about the water, thanks for reminding me! Grats on your progress so far!

@BaconSandwich
    Don't stress over it man. Definitely do what you gotta do. Great to hear you still might post your progress! I think the more people who do it, the better the whole experience will be. So thanks for sharing!

Anyway, late again, but here it is...

Week2: 253.2 lbs (-3.4 lbs)

Woohoo! Man, I can't wait to get under 250. I think I'm going to just plan to update on Mondays from now on.

Its great to hear some more voices in here! And trust me, I know its easy to stray off course, and its just a straight up slap in the face when you're working so hard, just to see that you've gained weight. That's exactly what made me stop exercising years ago. If there's one thing I've learned though, its that if its something you really want, you have to keep getting up on that horse (excuse the phrase) as many times as it takes. The important thing is that I'm learning something every time I fall. It may take a few falls to learn something new sometimes, but I'm coming a lot closer to understanding myself and why I do the things I do.

For example, I've been getting up early and starting my day with exercising, rather than waiting around and finding a good time to do it during the day, which I used to try to do. I'm trying to go to bed at 10pm every night, and get up at 6am. I haven't been able to pull it off perfectly yet, but I'm getting closer every day.

I've also found a workout routine that's right for me, at least for right now. Instead of overexerting myself and burning out, I'm taking things slower, but steadier, and working out every day, except for Sunday, which I made my day off. As much as I always loved the idea of doing as much as I can in the time I have, that path just has not worked for me, so I'm doing it this way, and so far, for the most part, I'm actually not dreading going to the gym!

Other than that, I've been finding healthier meals and snacks that I actually like. I've been on a huge turkey kick recently! Turkey with cranberries, oh man...now I'm hungry. Before, I might not have been so enthused by it, but its doing it for me now! I'm also paying more attention to portion control when the meal isn't particularly healthy. I can definitely be a culprit sometimes of eating whatever's in front of me until I'm stuffed, so just paying more attention to this definitely helps. Of course though, I did myself in with the the BBQ this weekend :)

And for another example, I joined the PA forums and I'm talking with you guys! I knew I had to try this when I saw it, and I have to say, in the short time that I've been here so far, its been working. Even if it hasn't been the most lively place in the world, I know that by the end of the week, I HAVE to report my progress here. So in the coming weeks, when I get some results that I don't like, and that will most definitely happen (and that's okay!), you'll most definitely be hearing about it.

So anyway, I just wanted to give you a few examples of what I've been changing recently as I learn more about myself. Of course, we are all different and work in different ways. The key is to keep finding the pieces to your own puzzle.

So for anyone losing their way out there, just remember to keep an open mind, take a deep breath, don't beat yourself up (because that never helps in any situation), and don't give up!

PS - sorry for this monster post!

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey everyone ... sorry I've been MIA lately, I've been checking out the forums from work but my whole diet/exercise plan has been derailed...and I'm actually kind of embarrassed that I'm not making any progress...life kinda just blew up on me.

Between family problems back home and my work schedule is changing almost weekly it's killed my energy and motivation. When I get home I'm exhausted and have just been crashing or vegging out. I'm not very happy with myself. Especially since I've managed to gain 10lbs. /sigh.

I'm not happy at all with my current weight or how I look... but I'm having such a hard time getting into a routine or even sticking with things. I hope I can get back on track soon.

Susan Delgado on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Susan,

No need to get discouraged, everyone falls back into a rut at some point. I actually went to hang out with a friend Friday/Saturday and apparently managed to gain 3 lbs in 1.5 days (I think it's b/c I had a lot of salt, but still....) It happens though and I just redoubled my resolve to get that weight back off and get back to losing. Started the day with lunch of a deli sandwich, 33% less fat chips and diet Sunkist soda (it's actually not that bad.) It's all about keeping motivated!

Good luck to everyone this week!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Another pictureless update for me. Around 275 now, but soon will need to buy a new belt. Hit the last notch on my way inward today. Need to do more exercise though, twice a week isn't cutting it. Stupid bad habits.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey guys

@Susan
    Don't sweat it Susan! Zero's got the right idea. I'm just really glad you decided to check in! Just remember that as long as you keep trying, you are bound to succeed. Like I said last week, every time we fall, we learn something new about ourselves, and can use that to our advantage.

@Limond
    Limond, that's awesome! The belt change sounds like a huge milestone to me. You should be really proud of yourself!

For everyone out there, please never feel afraid or embarrassed to to talk about you're struggles here. Everyone's got em, and that's what we're here for.

Okay, well man, this week was terrible for me! I was sick with a bad head cold and sore throat for just about the whole week, which means no exercise. That's okay though, no way I'm letting that get me down! Full speed ahead!

Week 3: 252.5 (-0.7 lbs)

I'm pretty surprised that I lost anything at all this week, but I should probably expect some of the consequences to roll over into next week's weigh in as well I guess. I started using the scale at my gym now (its one of those doctor's office scales), because it seems like the one I have at home is a little too random and unreliable. I'll be using this one from now on.

So what do you guys think about exercising when you're sick? Do you find ways to squeeze it in, or do you take a break from it and just focus on getting better?

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mild to moderate physical activity is usually OK if you have a cold but no fever. Exercise may even help you feel better by temporarily relieving nasal congestion.

As a rule of thumb for exercise and illness:

Proceed with your workout if your signs and symptoms are "above the neck" — such as runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing or sore throat. Be prepared to reduce the intensity of your workout if needed, however.
    Postpone your workout if your signs and symptoms are "below the neck" — such as chest congestion, hacking cough or upset stomach. Likewise, don't exercise if you have a fever, fatigue or widespread muscle aches.
    If you choose to exercise when you're sick, listen to your body. If your signs and symptoms get worse with physical activity, stop and rest. Resume your workout routine gradually as you begin to feel better.

From the Mayo Clinic Q&A website. I personally would probably take a break though.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Went and saw my doc yesterday which was surprisingly encouraging. At one time I had tried using adipex (phentermine) to help with weight loss, and while it helped temporarily, I didn't like it long term and I didn't want to be dependent on a drug to lose weight. He's down with that sentiment. He'd rather see me make a lifestyle change than medicate myself....although he did suggest trying Welbutrin if I'm still having craving and impulse problems by my next appt.

My b/f and I have sat down and we both really want to change and lose weight, but we struggle to do it and stick with it. After long days of working with ridiculous and draining people we get home and just crash, like the energy is just sucked out of us.

My doc is giving me 90 days to really make an improvement. I'm supposed to go back in 6 weeks to recheck with him and see how I'm doing. I'd really rather see him as a thinner me than this last time with me gaining back most of what I'd lost.

Susan Delgado on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Received a nice PM from a new user Andyman. Didn't want to intrude on our little group of com-padres and linked me to their blog. http://gamergirlgetsthin.wordpress.com/

It is a good read, and hadn't realized the benefits of doing something like this. A personal track record so you can write down what you are doing. See what worked and what didn't work. As soon as I can scrounge some more time together I'll probably start my own. I liked the entry about leveling very much, going to have to take that metaphor for myself.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Another update. 2 in 2 days this is crazy! But I did find a good guide with lots of complied information.

http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.