As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2011 Get-In-Shapeathon

1235»

• Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think I'm going to jump on in late and try to lose the weight with you all for now. I know it's past the starting deadline, and that's okay with me. I just need the support to lose the weight, especially since EAST 2011 is my projected first PAX. I'll even say that if I make it up to East, I'd be willing to help organize a Shapeathon meetup at some point, as well as design some sort of participant's prize of sorts.

As for my own weight loss, here is my story.

I am about 70 lbs or so overweight, but I also have two major health concerns that make this much more difficult. First of all, I have clinical depression, most likely rooted in self-image issues. So in other words, just losing the weight may not be enough. Secondly, I recently found out that I have hypothyroidism. My t3 and t4 levels were on the low end of normal, but my TSH levels were higher than normal. This means that the pituitary gland (what produces the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) is working overtime to produce enough TSH to get my thyroid to function. There are a few different symptoms, but what I have the most of is fatigue. It also can cause my cholesterol levels to be elevated, creating more risks of heart attacks and strokes, as well as weight gain. Needless to say, I have chemistry working against me.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been going to the gym 3 times a week and mtn biking 2 times a week for the past month now. I've been following the thread but since I'm not overweight I didn't join in. Maybe next time you can make it also include people who want to gain weight or muscle. ;)

I'm going to look like Jacob Black by next PAX East.

nerve on
  • Options
    Bigmike64Bigmike64 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey guys!

Sorry for being so late this week. I think I'll just blame it on E3 madness if that's okay with you. Man is it a good time to be a Nintendo fan! Anyway, here is my weigh in from Monday...

Week 4: 250 (-2.5 lbs)

Man, 250 on the dot! I'll have to hold off the "under 250" celebration for a little while, but I'm still really happy with my progress so far.

While I'm sticking to my exercise routine without a hitch, this week I've been slipping a bit when it comes to watching what I eat. Chips, chinese food, applebees. At the very least, I've been trying to pick decent choices from each, like chicken and broccoli instead of general tso's chicken, and a salad at applebees, but I know its still bad for me. I can feel it. I'm seeing how easy it is to succumb to this kind of food when your under pressure from other people, like eating with my family, or going out to eat with friends. I'm gonna have to come up with a strategy to solve this problem, because its going to keep coming up. Wish me luck, and let me know if you have any thoughts on this too.

@Limond: Thanks for the info, interesting stuff. I think I'll probably stick to taking it easy when I'm sick too. Keep those updates coming! Also, great links!

@Susan: I have an extremely hard time exercising after work too, or after anything for that matter. I used to try to do it that way and I just kept burning out. Now, I can only speak for myself on this, but let me tell you, exercising right when I wake up has turned out to be the key for me. I've been going to bed earlier and waking up earlier so I have time to do it, and its really been working for me. Plus, I have a better attitude and more energy for the rest of the day. Of course, everyone is different, but you might want to give it a try once or twice if you're able to. Other than that, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but I absolutely agree with the choice you made. Keep at it!

@feitocomfruta: Well I'm glad you decided to join us! Sorry to hear about those issues working against you. I'm all too familiar with thyroid issues myself, not that its the same at all. Anyway, I hope this helps you on your way. For me, its really been great to have this community so far, and its great to have some accountability and updating every week. Good luck with reaching all of your goals, and thanks again for joining in. I hope to hear from you again soon!

@nerve: Sorry to say I never thought of that! By all means, if you'd like to update with muscle weight gained, or any other method of updating, definitely do so! I guess I'm just not in that world yet, so its a little foreign to me right now. Also, it sounds like you've got a rock solid routine! Keep at it!

Good luck to everyone this week....even though the weeks just about done :P

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey again

Just as I thought, my weigh in this week was not so great.

Week 5: 251 (+1 lb)

Kind of a slap in the face, but at least I know why it happened. Like I said previously, I didn't eat right at all last week. No big deal though, I'll just have to make up for it this week.

Good luck guys :)

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey again...

Did anyone else hear that echo? Hey look, a tumbleweed! :)

Well, I passed a milestone this week, and I'm pretty damn happy about it.

Week 6: 248 (-3 lbs)
    Total Weight loss: 8.6 lbs

I gotta say, it felt really good to move the scale off the 250+ spot and onto the 200+ spot (its a doctor's office kinda scale). I've really wanted this for a very long time, and I cant even remember myself being under 250. Now I just have to keep it up!

Good luck to every one of you this week. And if you fell off, please don't sweat it! If you've read any of my posts before, I'm sorry for repeating myself, but I'm gonna say it again anyway. The only way you could really fail is if you never try again. I know it sounds strange, but falling off the horse all those times over the years was really the best thing that could happen to me. Everything I've learned about myself through the process has been absolutely vital to me, and I continue to learn new things all the time. Another big contributor for me is updating with you guys and writing out what worked and what didn't work from week to week. So if its something you really want, give it another shot, and remember to think about what you're doing, so you can find out what works and what doesn't.

Aside from that...I got my hotel and flight for PAX Prime all set today! Anyone else going to Prime too?

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    LanderolinLanderolin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey guys - was just wondering if it's too late to jump on this (particularly stiffly suspensioned) bandwagon?

I'm over in the UK but am planning on flying across for PAX East as a present to myself after getting back from Afghanistan... I'm currently rocking at about 280lb, 5'11" and I think something like this would be an ace way of motivating myself.

It's either this or I break out the nappy for the Eddie Honda cosplay...

Landerolin on
    Pokecrawl 2011 - Team Squirtle!
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    p90x has been working pretty well so far.

day 1: http://i49.tinypic.com/xngqvl.jpg
    day 30: http://i47.tinypic.com/2hp2hj5.jpg

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woohoo! Way to go, Bigmike :D I'm looking forward to the day I don't have to move that slider over to 150...

Nice progress, Nick! I've heard p90x is intense!

No real big updates from me... I've been hoovering around the same weight for about a month now D: too much cheating on my diet and too many skipped workouts. Hoping to get back into the rhythm of losing again this week. Plus, a group of people at my work are doing a 60-day fitness challenge with prizes and whatnot, so I have some extra motivation :D

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks Shugarae!

Sorry I'm so late this week guys. Work started for the summer this week, and the summer is my busiest time of year, so I'm having some trouble waking up early enough to exercise. Anyway, here's my weigh in from Monday....

Week 7: 248.5 (+.5 lbs)

Honestly, I don't think this weeks gonna be too great either. Gotta figure this out...

Good luck guys

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hey guys!

Missed last week! Here's a quick update

Week 8: 247 (-1.5 lbs)

Week 9: Had to use my home scale, but basically its about the same as week 8 :P

So as you might guess, I've been off my routine. Work just blew everything up! I think I'm gonna try to start going after work instead of before, as much as I don't like the idea. Hope you guys are doing better than me!

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What is this ancient thread doing on the front page you ask?

Well, I'm back, and I'm psyched to get back on track with getting in shape. It was a tough Summer and now Fall, with lots of on and off exercising (mostly off), but I've had enough of it. So...

Week, uh...well this is a new round, so I guess I'll start at 1 again :)
    250 lbs (maybe a little over, I'll start in with accurate stats next week.)

I did NOT enjoy moving that scale back to the "over 250" mark again. Not at all. In other words, 250 mark, you have no chance to survive, make your time.

So yeah, I'll be posting here every week again to get myself back in the swing of things. Of course, if you're feeling the same way, jump in and we'll do it together! Seeya next week!

...On another note, just ordered my PAX East ticket :D

...also, not sure what's going on with that contest, not that I was involved with it.

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think the contest died. Everyone that was taking part was all excited to go at the beginning then things quickly fizzled out. I'm still working on weight loss down (down about 18 lbs at this point) so at least the competition has helped get me motivated to lose weight!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nice! Congrats zero! And yea, I was always more interested in just having the PAX community to do this with rather than the actual contest. Although I think a prize and a finish line can be a great motivator.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    wiitifftiffwiitifftiff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I love working out! This forum makes me happy because people are finding that exercise can be fun! I go to a MMA boxing gym and I have so much fun taking out my aggression and working out at the same time! I'm hoping to have a solid body for my female MMA fighter cosplay I'd like to do!

Everyone keep up the great work!

wiitifftiff on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for posting Tiff! The MMA stuff sounds awesome. I've been dying to punch something recently too! (That doesn't sound good, does it) Maybe I'll look for something like that at my gym.

Thought I should give an update. Not a great start for me at all, but I gotta remember to post even when things aren't going so great. It pretty much defeats the purpose if I don't. Last week I finally started to get back on track, and I'm gonna keep it up this week as well. I tried an hour long spin class today, and holy crap, do I need to strengthen my legs! Felt good though.

Anyway, good luck to everyone! I'm gonna keep that PAX East finish line in mind!

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I guess that server glitch a few days ago ate my post. The jist of it, people stop responding and earning my degrees got in the way of being able to pretty much do anything fun related. How ever still managed to lose some weight (even over thanksgiving weekend.) Just 86 days left to drop less than 20 pounds for my Pax East goal though. So woo for that.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Jeez, 86 days! I gotta lose a little under 30 pounds by then to reach my goal. Anyway, that sounds like some really great progress Limond. Congrats!

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does bulking up count? I'm coming from the opposite end of the spectrum: very skinny and want to build some muscle. Not sure how much I'll be able to accomplish in 3 months but I started hitting the gym last week.

RDubb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Definitely RDubb! You're not the first to be in that position on this thread. Welcome, and feel free to post your progress along the way.

Quick update... I weighed myself a few days ago, and I'm back down to 248 pounds. I still don't feel back in the game yet though, not at all. I just read through previous posts and realized how well I was doing when I posted every week here. I have to get there again, and I will.

Bigmike64 on
  • Options
    wiitifftiffwiitifftiff Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    After 3 months of joining my MMA boxing gym I've lost an inch on my hips and waist. Hips were 32 and my waist was 27. Now my hips are 31 and my waist is 26!

wiitifftiff on
  • Options
    mahhkkmahhkk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RDubb wrote: »
    Does bulking up count? I'm coming from the opposite end of the spectrum: very skinny and want to build some muscle. Not sure how much I'll be able to accomplish in 3 months but I started hitting the gym last week.

Me too man. I've been trying for a couple years to do that... Ugh. Hard to dedicate the time with work and lifey stuff, but I'm going to try also.

mahhkk on
    Mark Nolan
    Editor, GameKiq.com

XBLA: shattered aura