Options

Getting into Devil May Cry 4

2»

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    übergeek wrote: »
    Ok so Now I'm Dante, I've got the DT extender, Rebellion's Stinger, Speed, and Air Hike. What Styles are useful? I have 4800 left to blow.

Personally I barely ever used anything other than Sword Master. I really liked having a wider variety of attacks.
    evilthecat wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiBN_R_q9GE&feature=related

beating the crap out of old people. stylishly!

You can buster the hand smash to make Sanctus come out instantly without his shield? That's awesome and I had no idea you could do that.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    You can buster the hand smash to make Sanctus come out instantly without his shield? That's awesome and I had no idea you could do that.
    Rule number the first of DMC4: if an enemy has an interesting looking special attack, you can probably buster to counter it.

Actually, someone should probably edit the Ken flow chart to replace shoryuken with buster.

Monger on
  • Options
    ChrisAlgooChrisAlgoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Once you get the punch gauntlets with Dante, you have access to a trick that does retarded amounts of damage. In Swordmaster, press Back + Special, which does an uppercut thing. After the first uppercut hit lands, DT, and the remaining hits will do developmentally-disabled amounts of damage.

My favorite styles are Trickster, Swordmaster, and (SPOILER), but dropping into Gunslinger to drop a Rainstorm on somebody's head or pretend you're John Preston is so very fun.

ChrisAlgoo on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just finished. 19 was some boring tedium with the dice game, even though I knew the trick to it. Not a bad game.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Really, the proper way to get into DMC4 is to get into Bayonetta.

But yeah it is pretty fun, though the dice game is just stupid.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you know its funny, I love DMC but could not get into Bayonetta. Don't know why, it just did nothing for me.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The fourth hit of nero's basic combo can be delayed just before the final hit. If you delay it right, the sword shines as he smacks it down, it will knockdown better, and it will knockdown directly in front of him instead of throwing them away.

Nero's devil trigger will break you out of a stun instantly. For example, if you get knocked off your feet, hit devil trigger and he goes into his fist into the sky pose and is straight back on his feet.

It's possible to use this to grab enemies midair with the buster who have just knocked you down while you were in mid air, if you are quick with it.

For example the assaults rising uppercut move, you can devil trigger in the middle of being hit with it then grab them.

Important: Shuffle has complete invulnerability frames when Nero "swings back" before swinging as a counter. Learn to use this move. It can even go through things like the fire bosses explosive nova attack.

Another tip when using the charged shot is to jump before releasing it. You don't have as long a recovery then.

A little known utility tip with Dante when doing the million stab: you can roll out of it. So you can catch up to an enemy with a million stab to stun them, then roll to their side and hightime them.

---

DMC4 is distinctly different to bayonetta in the combat engine of the game. It shares some features, but bayonetta shares the same inputs for most of the weapons and lets you keep a combo while dodging. DMC4 has different inputs for different weapons and has better one hit style attacks.

Dante's stinger >>>>>> Bayonetta's stinger, which on harder difficulties doesn't even make the angels flinch.

So in bayonetta you need to keep a continuous flow going and it's harder to get off a single big hit without using weave power. In dmc4 you can quite easily mash through the game just by setting up big one hit wonders.

I love them both, I play them both, and I don't feel that bayonetta is necessarily superior as an engine because it's doing something subtly different.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's about time Morninglord showed up in this thread. Why are you so slow, slow guy?

Shuffle's invincibility frames are pretty useful. Caliber also has some invincibility frames during the backstep, just like Draw does with Gilgamesh.
    übergeek wrote: »
    Just finished. 19 was some boring tedium with the dice game, even though I knew the trick to it. Not a bad game.
    Capcom, yo. I'm pretty sure Inafune hanged the first guy that shipped a game without a boss rush. So now it's time for a real difficulty level, right? Hone them skills, right? Right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjsuGB3S92Q&feature=related

Monger on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait wait, calibur is the ariel attack where he goes flying forwards.

Right?

I might be getting the names confused.

Shuffle is the move where he dodges backwards then comes forward with a giant baseball strike attack.

I think?

It's back to forward on the ground, anyway.

Also you can distort any attack dante has that is a melee strike just like real impact. This means going into devil trigger just as the attack would land. What happens is that going into devil trigger causes the move to land twice, which is why real impact, for example, does so much damage.
    Real impact is normally 3 big hits.

Since you can distort the first and last hit.

You get 5 hits.

If you start it in devil trigger, 4 of those hits are in devil trigger mode with the extra damage boost. It's ridiculous damage. It'll take a good third of berials life bar away.

But things like gilgameshes ground pound move can also be distorted. The third hit of yamato, most of his attacks can be distorted for extra damage. Only some of them are worth it though.

There's a second hidden property of gilgamesh as well. When he powers up his moves by holding them, there is a flash as he switches to the next stage of power. If you let go on this frame, he does double the damage he normally would. So naturally, if you let go on the second powerup stage at the right frame AND distort it at the same time, you can eg one shot a basic monster with the first punch of his basic combo.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wait wait, calibur is the ariel attack where he goes flying forwards.

Right?

I might be getting the names confused.

Shuffle is the move where he dodges backwards then comes forward with a giant baseball strike attack.
    No, you're right. I can't keep the two of them straight. Caliber is midair Streak. Shuffle is the ground one.

In any case, they both have some invincibility in there somewhere.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pretty sure caliber doesn't have any....

I could be wrong, but I've been knocked out of it at all kinds of points, I don't remember it having any.

----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=newV1wiwD00

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pretty sure caliber doesn't have any....

I could be wrong, but I've been knocked out of it at all kinds of points, I don't remember it having any.
    I haven't been able to pull it off, but I've most certainly seen video of people using Caliber to get through Berial's fire nova thing. I'll look around and see if I can find something.

You know, I knew about the just frames in Gilgamesh's charges, but I had no idea distortion was universal. My mind has been thoroughly blown.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You can jump cancel caliber repeatedly, it's most likely they were timing a jump cancel at the right frame.

I've done it myself. Berial is so big you can repeatedly caliber cancel off him.

I played through a game of bloody palace with super dante when I figured out that gilgamesh and just charge could be combined with distortion, and was seeing what moves I could distort.

I felt like a murderous god. Things died faster than Nero with perfect max act.

Normally you can't keep it going that much though, since normal dante doesn't have the devil trigger power to do it infinitely on every move he can do.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    ChrisAlgooChrisAlgoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DMC3 was all about Jump Canceling, and we got it for free back then too!

ChrisAlgoo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'll agree that Gunslinger is quite a bit better than it was in DMC3
    4 has no Free Ride. Therefore it is inferior. Q.E.D.

Also, Artemis is love.

True dat.

I recently got my hands on the dmc3 se, having never played it before. Was having just as much fun with gunslinger and that move where you shoot them in the head then boot them (+ artemis) as I was trying out vergil.

When I played the normal dmc3 I didn't play with gunslinger much.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Really, the proper way to get into DMC4 is to get into Bayonetta.

But yeah it is pretty fun, though the dice game is just stupid.

If Bayonetta had a PC version I'd buy it instantly.

All that crazy stuff about Gilgamesh kinda makes me want to try it out. I guess I could also play DMC3. I never played that on anything higher than normal.

Peewi on